• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now that you've jogged the memory I remember. It is often forgotten that true patriots will often support people or positions they might ordinarily feel little sympathy with when faced by naked personal ambition and malice, and will act for the good of the country even if their own personal position has to suffer.

Of course, he might just be getting on board to betray them all at a later date :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Renns, your AAR is like fine wine. The older it is the better! :D

No seriously, nice update!

Rensslaer said:
Eulenburg really hasn't been around much..He kind of took the position as back door advisor to Wilhelm II that Renss had held in previous administrations..And Eulenburg was, generally, anti-Renss..(but) Eulenburg was a sincere friend of Wilhelm..
like the rest you y'all, i did not remember Eulenburg.

coz1 said:
If one of the enemy camp has come to parlay, we can assume that either terms are about to be discussed, or Eulenberg has come to the other side and is offering his services. If the second, Wally and Co. had better be sure that they can trust him.
i suspect, rather strongly, that Eulenburg is arriving as a loyal supporter of Wally. (son of his friend, Wilhelm...)

I think Eulenberg is joining the Kron prinz's camp, too. Hopefully he will have some knowledge of the opposition's plans so that they can be thwarted.

Or maybe He's bringing a message from Albrecht that he stands down and leaves the throne to Waldemar (Yeah, like that's gonna happen :) ). Would be bad for the story, though good for Germany.

stnylan said:
And of course that is the most important battle for Wally to win - not the business with Rensslaer per se, and certainly not the business in the big wide world, but with himself. He needed to take charge, to be prepared to rule and not just reign. He had to decide he wanted to become the Kaiser, and to take the necessary steps (quite literal ones at times) to be seen as the Kaiser. And part of that is giving orders, even to those that, a few months ago, he would have been taken the orders from. No matter how wise or venerable or senior they were than and are now, he is in a position ascendent.

So much of politics is show. Once he starts to be seen to be acting like a Kaiser, a Kaiser he will be - or at the very least, a Kaiser he will much more likely be!
There is a great deal of feedback that I owe to a great many of you, but I wanted to take a moment while I have time to remark upon this! Hopefully I'll get to the rest of the feedback tomorrow, though I've promised to attend to the Guess the Author Challenge (over in the main AAR forum) first (go check it out if you haven't seen the challenge! Great stuff!).

First, many of the comments made by many of the readers touch upon brilliance -- you folks who have been commenting catch the most interesting things, and make the greatest observations. It's really fun to get this kind of feedback as I write!

But, Stnylan, this is one of the best and most cogent comments I've seen from anyone! You hit exactly upon what I wanted to demonstrate in that scene. And, so, you deserve to hear "the rest of the story"!

Most of this subplot was planned, and some of it even WRITTEN, about 2 months ago. I've added and modified it some as time went on... making it better, I hope! But this scene was never in it, until just the other day.

My original outline was very patient... I had Wally going into hiding, Renss doing the busywork on the outside, and eventually Wally would emerge and begin his offensive. The comments made by you and several others made me realize perhaps I was being too patient! So I came up with this scene as the best way to correct the oversight.

That's one of the neat things about this Forum! Not only do we have astute readers who comment and make suggestions, but also the authors can actually RESPOND! You guys help make the story! That's just unreal. But it's magnificent!

I managed to place Renss in his place (as Avernite observed!), and show that he's not perfect. I figured it would be only natural for him to regard this "child", 60 years his junior, as too young to stand up for himself. He wanted to "protect" him, and, well... He was protecting him too closely for the young man's own good!

But also this was Wally's coming of age -- his realization that he was to be Kaiser of the German people, and that such a position carried with it enormous responsibility. All on his shoulder. But he also realized something more important -- that he was, if not ready, certainly capable of being Kaiser. And he embraced his responsibility.

I really enjoyed writing the scene, and seeing your reactions. And it would never have been there except for your comments! :D

Thank you!

Rensslaer

p.s. Now for another update!

A Succession of Questions (Part 7 of 15)

“Jiulio,” Rensselaer said. “We need your support! You cannot remain silent. If you do, this young man will not become Kaiser. He may even end up dead. The Italian provinces will suffer, surely. If you do not stand for Waldemar, all will be lost, for you and for us.” He had confronted a swarthy man in the street, three blocks from the Reichstag.

“They are threatening us, Pietr,” he explained, with a thick Tuscan accent. “They are finding out things…” He fretted, but then to cover himself, added. “Even making things up! They can ruin me. They can ruin many of our friends. And they will. You do not doubt von Grolitz, do you?”

Rensselaer frowned furiously. “No. I do not. But you must know that if Albrecht takes power, your freedoms are forfeit! Italians will become a subject people! Imagine Garibaldians rising up. Civil war. Death. This is a time of choosing, my friend! You must select between your personal fortunes and your obligations to your country, your people, and your conscience! We will win, Jiulio, if only you will help Waldemar secure those last elements of victory.”

Jiulio half turned away, looking down the street nervously. Shamefully. He turned his head back, but not his body. “Renss, they have enough to destroy you all. All the Konservative newspapers are on their side. The boy is as good as dead.”

“Lies cannot win the Empire! More leaders are rallying to Waldemar’s side everyday.”

“I know about Eulenburg. And so do they. But he is already compromised. They have proof…” He looked pained. “All right, well, they have enough to make the people believe he is a deviant. He will be of no help to you. In fact, it just helps them paint their picture of a corrupt young man with the wrong people around him.”

Shocked, Rensselaer searched for the next tack that would bring him closer to gaining this man’s confidence. It was a losing battle. “Deviant???” Rensselaer asked, then regained his wits. “It’s not true, Jiulio! None of these things are.”

He pursed his lips. “Some of the things in the press are as true as you or I. And they are very sure of themselves with Eulenburg. Two men have come forward.” He emphasized “men.” “Two lovers, they claim. And they have several generals on their side, they say. Generals ready to lead troops in support of Albrecht!”

Angrily, Rensselaer changed his direction of argument. “They seem to have a great deal of confidence in you to have told you so much!”

Jiulio’s face blanched, his eyes widening. “No, Renss!” He backed away from the elderly statesman, who looked about to resort to violence. “They…”

Rensselaer kept the satisfaction from showing as he finished the man’s sentence. “They tell everybody these things. I know… All the more reason they shouldn’t be believed.”

Jiulio Pileggi was not an amateur. He found the shame to look chastened as his detour into fantastic naivete was revealed. “These are days when anything is possible, my friend.” He looked around again. Seemingly dwelling on every window. He turned fully to face Rensselaer. “I will stand with you if you can get Dempewolf, Heidemann and Skiedweza, all three, to ask me to do so.” He would require the word of the three primary leaders of the ZentrumPartei as surety that he was not on his own.

“You shall have it!” Rensselaer promised. He embraced the man in thanks, and then stalked off in search of another Deputy.

Last edited:
Great update. Looks like Prince Rens is seeking support from the member of the Reichstag. Hope it is not too much but it would be great if you can have an update telling the story of the other side on their progress and plan ;) .

Hmm, getting the reichstag gets you the support of the people, and lets hope the army listens to the people, otherwise it can get VERY bloody...

Man, if the opposition is resorting to that sort of tactic to flush Wally down the toliet, they must be in truly dire straits (hey! that'd be a great name for a rock'n'roll band! Mayhap I should find some musicians to use it. Anybody know anyone who'd fit the bill? :rofl: ), which means they are very dangerous and not above taking the next step and resorting to violence. I feel things may just beginning to really heat up. Nice.

Dangerous times when politics gets beyond the personal. Not only does one have to watch for smear and scandal, but also for their life depending on how vocal they are. Certainly not easy, but a task for which Wally appears ready, as you suggested. That confidence will go a long way, with the people at any rate.

While Renss is trying to build up support Wally and the others should start hitting back! There have got to be liberal papers and liberal or moderate institutions that don't want to see a Konservative regime led by a 96 year old old guard! Not to mention the chance to ingratiate themselves with the new Kaiser. Come on, it's time to fight fire with fire! Show the Konservatives that they're not the only ones who can manipulate the press.

I think Rensslaer is beginning to realise the implications of his rebuff of the Wilheim's gesture. He has been out of saddle, the land lies differently from what he remembered, and above all he is old. There is a definite lack of patience, lack of tolerance, in this conversation. From his viewpoint it is understandable - the world is full of people to him who are like children (even if they are approching sixty themselves).

I wonder if/when a truly radical suggestion might be mooted - who would the people prefer?

I did like the way this episode highlights the mixed racial character of Prussia.

A Succession of Questions (Part 8 of 15)

Once installed at the KronPrinz’ palace, Waldemar had set up a command center on the 4th floor. The palace was surrounded by a cordon of Potsdam Guards. Rensselaer had not trusted that their orders would not include the seizure of the KronPrinz, so they had snuck in through the tunnel. Now, the guards could not very well leave, so they essentially secured the palace, no matter what their intent. They wanted no obvious breach with the Kaiser’s son and heir, so most legitimate traffic passed unimpeded.

“The newspaper smear campaign is becoming more viscious, if that’s possible,” said Niemann. “There are reports of unrest in Konigsberg. It sounds put up to me.” He stepped up to the map on the table. “Von Moltke has ordered Ludendorff to ready his cavalry to break up the demonstrations.”

“Can we trust von Moltke?” Waldemar asked.

“We shall see,” Rensselaer said. A soldier entered, and announced that Eulenburg was waiting. “Oëster,” Rensselaer asked, “could you please see what you can do to get the liberal papers to be more vocal? We can do nothing if the people have no confidence to stand up for us.”

The fat man nodded. “I will do what I can. But I suspect they will tell me they can do nothing if their paperboys keep getting roughed up by von Grolitz’ gangs. Or if more presses are smashed.”

Rather than argue with the man, Rensselaer raised his white eyebrow toward the KronPrinz.

Waldemar nodded. It was time. “Thorn!”

“Majesty?!” came a crisp reply as General Hamilcar Thorn turned from his gaze out the window.

“Are your soldiers ready?”

“Of course, Your Majesty.”

“Be ready to deploy them as soon as I give the word. Oëster?” he turned to meet the man’s curious gaze. “Tell Boehm and Sturm to await an announcement from me first thing in the morning. And that when they get it, the must spare no effort to get it on the streets. They mustn’t fail me. Tell them freedom of the German press is at issue, and that this may be their absolute last chance to exercise it!”

“Use those exact words, Richard,” Rensselaer emphasized. “Let them wonder what he means by it.” Oëster nodded, nervously.

Thorn announced, “We will await your word, Your Majesty,” and strode out the door. Oëster waddled after him, sensing that he had been dismissed. Only Dempewolf remained, lurking against the far wall, with the KronPrinz and Rensselaer bracketing a third, empty, chair.

As soon as they were gone, Waldemar turned to his tutor, Longanecker, who was awaiting his own part in this play. Quietly, he ordered, “Burn the Zeitung.” He referred to the worst of the conservative rags. “Right at eight. Let its glow brighten the night sky just as people are going to bed.” The middle-aged cavalry veteran, and sometime spy, quirked a smile as he bowed his receipt of the directive. “Bring Eulenburg!” Wally shouted through the door.

Last edited:
Ahh, Wally becomes as much a despot as his ancestors :(

Let's hope he can limit himself to but a single newspaper, hopefully because after that he will be firmly in charge. A civil war where all the free press gets burned is bad, IMO ;)

You know in some ways this is reminding of the situation in England following the death of Edward VI. You have someone in power (here Holstein, then Northumberland iirc), but whose power base was tied to a monarch who has just died. If the succession works as it should a new monarch will come to the throne and one that will likely dismantle that same power. Moreoever that new monarch has links with the 'the old guard' - the people who were in power before Holstein/Northumberland ascended to the pinnacle. Desperate to remain where they are they present another candidate, hoping to survive. Holstein has put forward Albrecht, Northumberland posited Lady Jane Grey. It might seem that the analogy stops there, but I wonder. Lady Jane Grey was a reluctant candidate, a literal innocent. On first glance Albrecht seems anything but, until I thought about it a moment. He is in his nineties. Who knows the state of his mental health, but I can easily see Holstein flattering him, working on him, manipulating him, and Albretcht respond to all of this like a child. There is an innocence there as well, or there may be. Of course, in England's history the people came out in support of Mary in dramatic fashion, even though she were Catholic and a great many of them were Protestant (something they would arguably have cause to regret a few years later, but that is by the by). I am half-expecting something similar here, even with the current update suggesting something more muscular and contrived.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Albrecht chances seem to hinge on those that support him, rather than his own abilities, given his age. Wally, on the other hand, has the added advantage of youth and ability. And it seems as if he is not letting anything stop him, including a little of the old censorship.

Good it is to see Wally begining to take his own actions. It will be nice to see his Uncle and his supporters having to react to Wally for a change! Very good!

Avernite said:
Ahh, Wally becomes as much a despot as his ancestors :(
Well, I should explain that Prussia/Germany has never been a full, westernized democracy. It has always maintained censorship of the press. This is simply a more direct form of censorship! :rolleyes:

Wally is showing them who's boss. And showing, at the same time, his "allies" in the press that they'd better put up or shut up. So to speak. He's reminding them that he holds their future in his hands, and that they are not in a position of power over him... rather, the opposite is true.

And the little bit of arson reminds both the people of Berlin and his enemies that they are not immune and that the fight is not one-sided.

More soon!

Rensslaer

IMO, it simply shows the people that both sides are a bunch of warmongering people jockeying for power, which simply lessens Wally's chances of coming off as the peoples Emperor.

But I may not fully grasp the concept of a strong monarch very well ;)