• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Seems fitting that since personal friendships have maintained the unholy pairing of Russia and Prussia for generations personal animosity should ultimately bring about war between the two. How's the Prussian economy doing, by the way? Is it going to be able to handle a major war? I have a feeling that this one will be a long one.

• 1Like
Reactions:
“Watch your coats ‘round the coal bundles, yer Majesties,” said Kapitaleutnant Craig Velten, Third Officer of the SMS KronPrinz Wilhelm, a newly commissioned armored cruiser in His Majesty’s Service. “Don’t want to have them soiled.”

The decks of each ship of the World Tour Squadron – two modern armored cruisers and six light cruisers – had been stacked high with mounds of coal for their journey, each pile then carefully overlaid with a white oilcloth tarpaulin to obscure the ugliness from shorebound eyes. They would need sufficient fuel to make the journey without relying entirely on the supply of various stations. Colliers had been sent ahead to supplement the outposts, but the requirements of eight modern warships would still completely overwhelm any one port’s stockpiles.

The KronPrinz, Wilhelm himself, and his father, Kaiser Friedrich, thanked Velten for his attentiveness, the Kaiser expressing himself with the froggy, raspy voice for which he had now become famous.

Velten had been assigned by the Kapitan to assist the royal pair on their journey whenever he and Admiral Henningsdorf were unavailable to wait upon them.

The first leg of the Prussian Imperial World Tour departed Kiel Harbor on November 8th, 1893.

scharnhorst.jpg

The Kaiser’s flagship, the KronPrinz, was trimmed in black and red, but the massive rest of it gleamed bright white in the brilliant Egyptian sunshine. Gouts of dark grey smoke burst from its four funnels, and it picked up speed slowly. Its companions followed, one of a size, the others sleeker and smaller, but equally startling to anyone accustomed to the older raiders and ironclads.

The ceremonies earlier in the day had been magnificent. In this final part of the celebration, the KronPrinz would become the first ship of any real displacement to navigate the Suez Canal on its opening day. The rest of the World Tour Squadron would follow, then a line of older Prussian warships.

Behind that, in expression of the international covenants Prussia held with those countries not at war with it, trailed a selection of warships of other nations – Russia’s three cruisers followed most prominently in the spot immediately behind Prussia’s, then various others in no particular order – France, Britain, the United States, Ottoman Empire, Spain, the Netherlands, Sweden, and others. Also assembled – part of a mass of ships that cluttered the waterways outside of Alexandria – were a collection of civilian liners and other craft, down to the size of a sailboat. It was impressive. And glorious. The Kaiser of the German Empire, with his son Wilhelm, led the way.

suez1890.jpg

Last edited:
Is this naval journey a prestigious an international good will tour or is it a subtle waving of the flag and showing of the guns? Or both perhaps? ;) Russia's position of second in the procession is an interesting choice, too.

• 1Like
Reactions:
VILenin said:
Is this naval journey a prestigious an international good will tour or is it a subtle waving of the flag and showing of the guns? Or both perhaps? ;) Russia's position of second in the procession is an interesting choice, too.
I lean towards the latter. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
I shall forestall your speculation by saying that this is a three-part tour, and it has lots more to do with other things than what you're thinking! ;)

(EDIT: most notably NOT a three-hour tour -- those are always dangerous, and often cause much more trouble than they're worth!!! though they can be entertaining for the viewers...)

In partial answer, I will say that the symbolism is mainly to highlight Prussia's #1 status as a prestigious world power -- vanity on display. And to point out that Prussia's colonies are finally protected by a capable navy, for the first time in history! But that's not really the most significant part of what's going on...

I have the other parts mostly ready, but will space them out because I have virtually nothing after that done!

VILenin, yes, the Russians were in the place of honor because they were primarily responsible for the development of Prussia's modern navy. Tech trades with Russia (+194 relations) got our navy caught up to where it needed to be. Which will be a point of some irony, very soon... :D

Catknight and Vincent, yes Krakow is in an exalted place! They should be very glad no one ever pays attention to them.

Thank you all for your attention! More specific feedback later, once things begin to develop to where I'm not giving things away...

Rensslaer

Last edited:
hongkong.jpg

The Kaiser and KronPrinz were boarded in adjacent suites, once ashore at Hong Kong, the British Crown Colony of China. Having dressed already for an elaborate dinner with the British Governor, KronPrinz Wilhelm was wearing a resplendent white Prussian officer’s uniform, bemedaled out of all proportion to his experience, Wilhelm joined his father as he was getting ready.

The Kaiser’s own outfit was similar to his son’s, but trimmed with black leather and of a much stouter appearance. At his neck hung an enormous medallion. “I seem to be gaining weight around the middle,” the Kaiser rasped, then cleared his throat, trying to gain some volume. “I can barely get my dresscoat fastened any longer.” He paused to look in the mirror, feeling his sixty-two year age. He did seem to be showing it more, of late. His temples were graying with more speed, and his eyes seemed not so sharp. He brushed his fingers through his moustache and beard.

“Well,” Wilhelm said with gentle cheer, “that won’t keep up if you don’t start eating more than you have.” He twisted at his spiked moustache, looking in the mirror over his father’s shoulder.

A knock drew their attention to the door. It had to be Kapitaleutnant Velten – he was the only one authorized to so disturb the royals. “Come in, Old Hand,” the Kaiser croaked loud enough to be heard through the thick, ornate door. Velten wasn’t exactly an old hand – he was only about thirty. But he talked like one, and had the bearing of one. It was the Kaiser’s term of endearment for him, which he enjoyed.

Velten slipped in the door, closing it behind him. “Your Majesty, I have taken the liberty of assigning six marines to you, and another four to the KronPrinz,” he nodded to Wilhelm. “We’ve had some problems with the Chinamen. All the westerners have, but you knew that. This is just to make sure we take you back with us.” He nodded with a quirk of a smile. The security situation in Prussian Hainan, where they had stopped the day before, was not so concerning as in Hong Kong. The Prussians were not so disliked in China as were the British, who had fought a longer war and who were more aggressive in their economic exploitation of the local populace.

“Of course,” the KronPrinz acknowledged. “What exactly is their difficulty, in any case? I’ve never heard a good explanation for what makes these natives so restless.”

“Ahh, but you’ve inquired of the right man. I served on the China Station for five years, just before I came home. They are a superstitious lot, Your Majesty,” Velten persisted in referring to the KronPrinz as if he were Kaiser, despite the differences in protocol. “They believe in spirits, and all that. They got this thing called ‘fing shway’, and they think strangers in their lands mess it up awful. They’s never been right up with us, but it’s specially bad now. Call themselves the ‘Boxers’, they do. Not too much trouble yet, but they do lop off a head of a good Christian lad or lass here and there. Puts things back in balance, so they say.”

It also highlights the importance of opening the Suez Canal, even though it was already mentioned earlier.

I wonder about this coming conflict with Russia. Though I have little doubt that you can beat them in a war, they do have many, many troops that can only drag Prussia's debt and economy down for years to come. It would be nice if there were some person able to cool the tensions...perhaps it is time for Prince Rensslaer to get back into foreign affairs.

And excellent work in Africa. That RR network is surely a boon to the economy of the colonies. Plus, all that blue looks great. ;)

EDIT - I must have been making comment while you were posting that last bit. Still doing well to show the Kaisers aging and health problems. And trouble with the Chinese is the last thing you need right now. Nice work reminding us of the Prussian influence there, though.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hmm, the Boxers, eh? I hope a certain rebellion doesn't break out while the royal family is visiting. I can't begin to imagine what killing the Kaiser and KronPrinz would do to the "fing shway" of the place. ;)

Interesting update Rens...but permit me to make one small observation.

'fing shway' - I believe you are trying to say 'feng shui'. This is the traditional chinese studying of geomacy based on shape and the placement of natural elements such as mountain, water and etc.... For example it is good feng shui if there is a mountain behind a house as it provide stability at the back. The chinese are awfully supersitious when it comes to this. The bank of china building in Hong Kong is another wonderful example of this study. It is also say Hong Kong has good feng shui as it's located at the mouth of the river symbolizing the head of a dragon.

The Boxer's best not attempt any funny business while the Prussian Royals are about.... I don't believe the Prussians would be quite pleased and would be (I believe) quite put out at the affront, if ya'll know what I mean.

As always, Renss, great and outstanding work! Now, let's have some more, eh?

prussiablue said:
'fing shway' - I believe you are trying to say 'feng shui'. This is the traditional chinese studying of geomacy based on shape and the placement of natural elements such as mountain, water and etc.... For example it is good feng shui if there is a mountain behind a house as it provide stability at the back. The chinese are awfully supersitious when it comes to this. The bank of china building in Hong Kong is another wonderful example of this study. It is also say Hong Kong has good feng shui as it's located at the mouth of the river symbolizing the head of a dragon.
I'm pretty sure he knows that and that it's part of the flavor--'civilised' v. 'uncivilized'. That's why I found it so funny. :)

Actually, I threw that in there (Feng Shui) because it's one of the little known aspects of the Boxer Rebellion. The Boxer Rebellion was very closely tied to the religion/philosophy of Feng Shui.

Fun stuff! Don't kill me because I won't move my desk! :D

Rensslaer

Rensslaer said:
Longanecker glanced sideways at his pupil and future Kaiser, but said nothing. Why did he always have to bring his God into things? His own world, he felt, was complete without any such comfort. He had his science, his artifacts, and his force of reason – all he needed to rely upon.

Indeed, he thought in a perplexed moment of self-awareness, it was those "religious" people who he, himself, regarded as stupid and incapable.
amazing thing, that statement about religion parallels current worldly thinking if not actually copies it.

then i remember reading in the Old Testament the prophecy about the landing on the moon!

Rensslaer said:
The Suez Canal finally opened, late in 1893..Russia’s three cruisers followed most prominently in the spot immediately behind Prussia’s..“They believe in spirits, and all that. They got this thing called ‘fing shway’, and they think strangers in their lands mess it up awful. They’s never been right up with us, but it’s specially bad now. Call themselves the ‘Boxers’, they do. Not too much trouble yet, but they do lop off a head of a good Christian lad or lass here and there. Puts things back in balance, so they say.”..The Boxer Rebellion was very closely tied to the religion/philosophy of Feng Shui.
excellent "work" on the Suez Canal. and i am glad that Russia took the deserved spot behind the Prussians - even if war soon comes. and, thanks for the information about the Boxer Rebellion. :cool:

most excellent! ! ! ! ! :D

OH, anyone know why Paradox was down this afternoon (New York time)?

From The Eagle Rising: The Story of Prussia's Arrival On the World Stage, pub. 1989 by Professor Reinicke Herz

For Prussian-German diplomacy and worldwide prestige, the World Tour of 1893-4 was a remarkable success. Kaiser Friedrich III had, of course, traveled regularly between the capitals of Europe. But he was not so well known outside of Europe, and he felt that once Prussia’s Imperial Navy had new, modern warships that could finally protect the Empire’s colonies, that its presence should be made known to the Empire and the world at large through goodwill visits.

worldtour2.jpg

Hence, this voyage saw the first visit of a Kaiser to Prussian colonies in Africa, Abu Dhabi, Borneo, China, Samoa and Peru (the Kaiser had been to the Virgin Islands on holiday). It was also the Kaiser’s first state visit to Hong Kong, Japan, Argentina and Brazil.

The first notable stop in the Kaiser’s itinerary was to Alexandria in preparation for the official opening of the Suez Canal. Visits to various outlying Prussian colonies took the next couple of weeks, and then he undertook a state visit to the British Crown Colony of Hong Kong in a relatively successful effort to improve relations with one of Prussia’s most recent major enemies.

In Tokyo, the Kaiser and KronPrinz paid a state visit to Emperor Meiji, which improved relations greatly and was seen in a very good light by the people. Kaiser Friedrich also held private discussions with Prime Minister Ito, who had used elements of the previous Prussian Imperial Constitution to form the current Japanese Imperial government. Friedrich, tired and in poor spirits, was still able to recommend changes to Ito in the direction of the liberalized German constitution. It was a carefully scripted affair, with great lengths taken not to offend the Japanese, whose culture remained very conservative, but led by more open minded leaders.

It was in Tokyo, after a long day of treading lightly upon eggshells, that the Kaiser confided to his son that he felt a great degree of fatigue, as well as discomfort from a pain in his side. Concerned also because he had grown hoarse and his voice was beginning to leave him, he suggested cutting the final day’s activities short, rather than let his more reckless and more conservative son take over the discussions.

The next stop was to coal in Samoa, and the royals enjoyed Christmas dinner with Rev. Breitenfeld, whose father had founded the Prussian colony there a half-century earlier. In Peru, the Tour paused for a few days for the Kaiser to rest, and to vacation in the mountains above Nazca. The KronPrinz took a tour of ancient Inca ruins in the mountains and on the plains nearby.

When the Tour arrived in New York, Kaiser Friedrich was feeling better, and was more rested. While it was not his first trip to the United States since his coronation in 1880, it was the German Emperor’s first official state visit. The American people received the royal party warmly. The Americans had always considered Prussia to be a friend, at least to a higher degree than did most of Europe consider it so.

ss305b.jpg

The Tour’s stop in New York was outwardly a festive occasion. Only a very few among the US and Prussian governments, and among the flagship’s crew, were aware of the terrible underlying tension which existed behind the scenes.

With the Kaiser & KP on this tour, who is running the country????

Achtung Cliffhanger; I can't wait for the next update.

Me! :D