• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bodeshmoun

Private
Nov 18, 2023
Hello, I experience a lots of crash since 1.11 on linux, with or without mods.
Note that logs include a load of an existing savegame with mods, but the crash that generated these logs occurred when I launched the game without any mods, and started a new game.

Last edited:
Sorry for the many post, but I have spam warning preventing my complete posts …

Note also that I had to add « --disable-gpu » to launcher parameter in order not to have a blank launcher.
This problem stated only today, but the crash where present before.

See thread named (cannot paste direct link, spam warning again) :

[Linux] CK3 works, but launcher is black rectangle​

Last edited:
And please find steam information in attached file (pasting them in message trigger spam filter).
Categories are in french but technical data are present, let me know if you need an English version.

Attachments

• Steam information.txt
    2,2 KB · Views: 0
The stack trace points to libc.so.6 . If you run ./ck3 directly from a terminal command line (in the Steam/ck3/binaries folder) what output do you get?

Is libc up to date? What distro are you on?

Also, is your Steam installation via Flatpack or anything like that? If so you need to use the problem Steam client
"Install Steam Now"

I am on Debian Trixie (testing) with libc6 uptodate version 2.37-12.
steam is installed from their depot, no flatpack (or anything like that) used.

Console output (no crash) :
Code:
Crusader Kings III$ binaries/ck3
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; create pipe failed.Warning: 2 log categories not defined in log_settings_live.json
Game AI
Game Tests

[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamUser020 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamUtils009 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.
[S_API FAIL] Tried to access Steam interface SteamFriends017 before SteamAPI_Init succeeded.

So only errors from steam API so far … no crash encountered on this game session.

Last edited:
After CK3 1.11.2 update, I launched from steam and got a crash quickly (but game started, crash occured within a month).

Then I tried to launch from a terminal, but I had the following blocking error :
Code:
binaries/ck3: error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
This library was not installed.

Note that neither steam, launcher, nor game displayed any warning on the missing library.
Not sure these logs (without libGLU installed) could be usefull, but here they are in ck3_20231130_200049.zip file.

After installation of libglu1-mesa version 9.0.2-1.1, I could launch the game from console :
Code:
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 1158310
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561199030274529 [API loaded no]
Warning: 2 log categories not defined in log_settings_live.json
Game AI
Game Tests

Fossilize INFO: Overriding serialization path: "/home/username/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/shadercache/1158310/fozpipelinesv6/steamapprun_pipeline_cache".
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_variant_access'
  what():  Unexpected index
Trying to Write minidump to dir: /home/username/.local/share/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings III/crashes/ck3_20231130_205145/
Created Minidump: /home/username/.local/share/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings III/crashes/ck3_20231130_205145//bad93e7f-843c-4057-a7588fab-e3ea5dad.dmp

The logs of this last crash are in ck3_20231130_205145.zip file.

Attachments

• ck3_20231130_200049.zip
    13,5 MB · Views: 0
  • ck3_20231130_205145.zip
    13,3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
After installation of libglu1-mesa version 9.0.2-1.1, I could launch the game from console :
But not from Steam/our launcher, are you saying?

:confused: Erm, okay then!

So you're all okay now, with that updated lib?

The game start yes, but it still crash, I can attach another 10+ crash logs if needed, but all case have the same following lines in console :
Code:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_variant_access'
  what():  Unexpected index
Here is the last one today.

It still point toward the libc.so.6, but I am not able to understand where is the problem, I have the last version available for my system.
Is that CK3 1.11 is not compatible with libc6 2.37 (I did not have these crash in 1.10) ?

I have read known bug of libc6 and this bug seems to be related : https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=948287, but the problem is quite old, messages describing it are from 2020.
And I have checked the bugs solved in 2.38, but nothing seems relevant https://sourceware.org/pipermail/libc-alpha/2023-July/150524.html.
Could you confirm the problem came from my version of libc6 and not CK3 ? Do you have a version of libc6 tested to be compatible with CK3 1.11 ?

Attachments

• ck3_20231202_113959.zip
    9,4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My Ubuntu 22.04 installation has libc 2.35 and works fine, so it seems your problem is elsewhere.

Quite where I frankly have no idea at this point! Do you have access to any Linux support resources that could help tracking down that error?

I know how to troubleshot, and a bit of programing and linux. But I do not know anything about libc6, and obviously I do not know how libc6 is used in CK3 code.

My analysis so far :
The exception.txt file show libpops_api.so (which seems to be a paradox proprietary lib) with « __cxxabiv1::__terminate(void (*)() » which seems to occur before the abort in libc6 (it is a stack so it should be read from the bottom to the top, no ?).
When I search this chain, I find posts like this or that, combined to message in the console « what(): Unexpected index », make me thinks that in CK3 code there is an unprotected (no catch) function call ; based on my experience crash occur when I click on a character, so I suspect this is a function to retrieve information about characters.
In random conditions, that call could be done without correct parameters (typically a null instead of character ID).
And because the exception thrown by the call is not handled, it crash the game.

I would like to investigate more, but I do not think CK3 code is open, nor that could have access to it even if I ask nicely.

Last edited:
I'm not a developer so i have even less idea about such things than you do, I'm afraid. What I can say is POPS is the Paradox online services, so that is probably to do with logging into your Paradox account.

It seems you feel this is a game bug, although why it would affect you but not all Linux users with the same libc versions I'm not sure. By all means start a new thread in Bug Reports and post the details of your problem there, plus any crash dumps or logs you see.

Oh, I do not have my paradox account set in launcher … testing if it change something.
Sadly no, exact same behavior. I got (un)lucky, the crash happened on second character I click on.

Thanks for the help I will post a bug.

I did succeed to post a bug report, but it seems that the frequent crash on linux is a known problem and the previous report here 1615022 has similar traces.

Last edited:
Found this post while searching online for a solution.
I am also experiencing frequent crashes on linux. no mods. 1.11.3. tried opengl mode as well, same problem. any workarounds are appreciated.

I am also experiencing frequent crashes on linux. no mods. 1.11.3. tried opengl mode as well, same problem. any workarounds are appreciated.
Crashes with the same symptoms (game won't start) and errors as posted above? If so please add into that user's reports in Bug Reports.

If different however, please start your own thread, with full problem details and history. Thanks.

In the bug reports, there is numerous report of crash on linux and mac (usually when opening character detail), to the point that known bug list it here : https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/known-issues-1-11-1.1612687/
Update 1.11.1 Known Issues
  • […]
  • Frequent crashes to desktop on MacOS and Linux.
    • While this issue is being investigated, you can roll back to Update 1.10.2 via the Betas menu in Steam.