• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I did not know that
Same tbh. I vaguely remembered something about the door, but not the throne. I wonder where they got it since no trees grow on Eyrie.

The House of the Undying Chapter in the books was my favorite of the series.
Absolutely agree, it was just something else. I remember reading it the first time, going what the uf and reading it again.

It makes one wonder how the commoners worship.
I wish the actual process of being an old gods follower was a little more fleshed out, especially for the poor/common folk who dont have acess to a Weirwood/Godswood to meditate under
Same, that's why I just adopted a personal headcanon that the old gods faith is exactly like the pagan faiths in our world. So now in my head the North is leaping over fires on Midsummer, giving gifts in Midwinter, chases rabbits and chicks in May and goes bonkers in late autumn. Also druids like the ol' man Jules wrote, especially on Skagos. Also (in the same headcanon) the 7 stole a bunch of old gods' feast days and they are now the festivals for the seven everywhere else. And the Drownies are doing their own thing, as usual.

presence of the Manderlys and their septs
Yeah, if noone's gonna convert those southerners, poor tree was going to do the job itself. Fortunately it can chill now, the mermaids finally saw reason and are mostly old gods now (in my game).

The Mantaryans probably approve
Definitely. It's nice that I've wiped out most of their nobility, more chances for the head to stay unhoneyed XD

I hope they changed it out pretty regularly.......cant imagine that would smell great
Yeeeaaah... Very peculiar choice of decor there.

No thanks
At least it explains why they are so bonkers.

I think the Ironborn of CK2 must have missed this declaration
Nope, Urron Redhand undeclared them when he slaughtered a bunch of people all over the place and became the first high king of the Isles :)

What is the source of iron in Ironborn and Iron Islands? Were they the first to use iron weapons? Is there an iron deposit in the islands?
Good questions ! They have mines on many islands and thralls are working in them to procure iron, lead and tin. However they are not the first. THe first were people called Cymmeri, although there is very little known about them, unfortunately.

I recently read that the source of the first iron weapons (OTL) were probably made from meteorite iron.
Our very own Swords of the Morning! Nice! Wouldn't mind having a meteorite sword. Or a dagger at least. As long as it's not contaminated with some body-snatcher from outer space, or at least not too contaminated XD

These maesters remain as naive and dismissive of magic as ever. If the Second Long Night ever comes, I will be there to laugh at those presumptious men!
Fortunately the man "writing" this book is an archmaester and a Targ (Blackfyre, but still), so maybe after he publishes his book and gets a couple of slaps to the head from his family that actually can do magic or have seen and spoken to the magic-doers, they'll come around and poor old Dany won't have to waste time convincing people that it's all real and will be able to just get everyone to cooperate. Although knowing politics... probably not :(

What is this about the Deep Ones? Should we be worried about them invading the surface world and breeding?
Too little information and I reeeally don't like it, especially given the fact that in the books Euron is doing some bloody (literally) shady shtuff on high seas!
Are there any cities like Innsmouth on Planetos? Especially on the Iron Islands?
Yep, definitely Lonely Light! I don't know what is going on there, but something is definitely going on there!

Hello my paradox friends, I returned. Woah I have lot more things to read now lol.
Warmest welcome back! Hope you enjoy and the amount won't stifle motivation ^_^'

Imade a small detour in writing, so the map and especially the characters will look MUCH differently after I run out of pre-switch screenshots (I finally incorporated that new shiny portrait overhaul and given the sheer amount of other mods I have it was a bit of pain so I reeeally don't want to turn it off now, I sincerely apologize). Also also I took some stuff from the Warhammer mod and did this just for the fun of it:
ck2_1.jpeg

Aaand made names and COA's for every.generic.mercenary.company in the game - fleets, wildling, all of them. They are coming soon. But in the meantime the chpter about the 7 is coming sooner and it will finally have some in-game pictures and characters (favourite insane-mouthed people included!).

Thank you all for you time, attention and patience!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Religion: The Seven

The Seven​

The Faith of the Seven, often simply referred to as the Faith, is the dominant religion in the southern part of the Seven Kingdoms. Followers of the Faith are rare in the north and on the Iron Islands, where the religions of the old gods and the Drowned God, respectively, are still strong. The gods of the Faith are sometimes known as the new gods to differentiate them from the old gods of the First Men.

Members of the Faith worship the Seven Who Are One, a single deity with seven aspects or faces. For the less educated, however, this concept is often difficult to grasp, causing them to often believe that there are indeed seven different gods.

Depending on their need, worshippers pray to specific faces of the Seven. The seven faces are:

The Father, also referred to as the Father Above, is depicted as a bearded man, with a stern and strong face. Judgement is said to belong to the Father. Additionally, he protects “his children”.

He is often prayed to for justice, and the phrase “may the Father judge [him/her/them/you] justly” is often said among followers of the Seven. Additionally, one might pray to the Father asking him to defend someone in battle, the strength to seek justice, and the wisdom to recognize it.

The Mother, sometimes also called the Mother Above, is depicted as smiling with love, embodying the concept of mercy. She also embodies a loving and protective aspect of the Seven that represents motherhood and nurturing. It is said that the Mother could be fiercer than the Warrior when her children are in danger.

She is most often prayed to for fertility, but also asked for compassion, and to keep loved ones safe. Offerings can be made to the Mother when a woman becomes pregnant, to praise the Mother for giving the gift of life.

The Mother's Hymn
Gentle Mother, font of mercy,
save our sons from war, we pray,
stay the swords and stay the arrows,
let them know a better day.

Gentle Mother, strength of women,
help our daughters through this fray,
soothe the wrath and tame the fury,
teach us all a kinder way.

yXMGC4sn4nj2cJzbtRnROu1MvpexvAPIiA8O3g_Qff1uf9SYXM26R6j6taeDkeBAypDQcOVHWWh98eqNf1OKzwqyeThmQ0ZlcqfMtWykbygXKnp7T23J5NpK_-ZEo-gp-Kc14tCSCabz4_MieHdVP5I

The Warrior by mustamirri

The Warrior represents strength in battle and is always depicted with his sword. He protects followers of the Seven from their foes.

The Warrior is often prayed to for courage, as the septons teach. Most men make offerings to the Warrior before battle, while others might say a prayer. Additionally, people might beseech the Warrior for a favourable condition during battle, to watch over soldiers, give them strength, keep them safe, both in battle and outside of battle, and help warriors to victory. He might also be asked to bring peace to the souls of the slain and give comfort to those who are left behind. A septon might ask the Warrior to lend his strength to the arm of the man whose cause is just during a trial by battle, The phrases “may the Warrior defend you” and “may the Warrior give strength to your sword arm” are frequently given.

The Smith, depicted with his hammer, represents crafts and labour. He is the mender of broken things who puts the world of men to right. According to some septons, the Smith can also be referred to as the Farmer, the Fisherman, the Carpenter, or the Cobbler as they all represent workers. The Faith believes that the Smith gave the horse to man to aid him.

Septons teach to pray to the Smith for strength when there is work needs to be done, and sailors might make offerings to the Smith prior to launching a ship, as to keep their ships safe. Others might pray to the Warrior for protection. Followers of the Seven can show their devotion to the Smith by wearing a small iron hammer about their neck.

The Maiden, also called the Maid, is a beautiful young woman that represents innocence and chastity.

People might pray to the Maiden to keep young women safe. A mother can pray to the Maiden to lend courage to her daughters and guard them in their innocence, while a bride might light candles in thanks if a suitable marriage offer is made. A woman may ask the Maid for forgiveness when admitting to having used sex to convince men to do her bidding.

The Crone is an old, wizened and wise woman, whose statues often show her with a raised lamp in one hand. The Crone is said to have let the first raven into the world when she peered through the door of death.

People pray to the Crone for wisdom and guidance.

There is a constellation of stars called the Crone's Lantern. It is four bright stars that enclose a golden haze.

The Stranger is neither male nor female, yet both at the same time. The Stranger's face has been described as half-human, concealed beneath a hooded mantle. He is the outcast, the wanderer from far places, less and more than human, unknown and unknowable. His face is the face of death. He leads the newly deceased to the other world.

The Stranger is often viewed in a negative light, with worshippers rarely praying to or rarely seeking favour from him. Those who feel like outcasts however might occasionally light a candle for the Stranger.

History​

The Faith of the Seven arose in Essos among the Andals who lived in the hills of Andalos. It is claimed that the Seven walked there in human form. According to The Seven-Pointed Star, the Father brought down seven stars from heaven and placed them on the brow of Hugor of the Hill, the first king of the Andals, to form his crown. The Maid brought forth a girl supple as a willow with eyes like deep blue pools that became Hugor's first wife. The Mother made her fertile, allowing the girl to bear Hugor forty-four mighty sons as foretold by the Crone. The Warrior gave each son strength of arms, and the Smith wrought each a suit of iron plate.

The Faith was brought to Westeros with the coming of the Andals thousands of years ago and largely supplanted the local worship of the old gods.

Some of the Andal warriors had the seven-pointed star of the Faith carved into their flesh to show their devotion.

Although the Andals came late to the Reach, the Hightowers were among the first Westerosi lords to welcome the Andals, considering war bad for trade. Lord Damon Hightower was the first to accept the Faith. To honour the Seven, he constructed the first sept in Oldtown, and six more elsewhere in his realm. Following his premature death, Septon Robeson became regent for Damon's newborn son, Triston. When Robeson eventually died, Triston had the Starry Sept raised in his honour. Oldtown eventually became the centre of the Faith, and the Starry Sept home to the High Septon.

VKSqO7gP8-ziJ9m3coMyN1lPEEHRjbJV3EuWT7KMWDBGIZAMkbKI3llsn60OQ2rUcxVxyCsM9--8i1JggAMtUDx3SUijwJSU6f8hBdvBLataGTJjOCvSgQxUqh6YgFZ12YetcN_9JKf_EGyaY1igJIs

AI by me​

When he learned that Aegon the Conqueror had landed in Westeros at the start of the Conquest, the High Septon locked himself in the Starry Sept for seven days and nights, seeking guidance from the gods. On the seventh day, the High Septon saw a vision given to him by the Crone, showing him that if Oldtown resisted Aegon, the Hightower, Citadel, and Starry Sept would burn. The High Septon warned Lord Manfred Hightower of what he had seen, after which the Lord of the Hightower decided to offer no resistance to House Targaryen. Aegon dated the start of his reign from the day the High Septon anointed him at the Starry Sept. Since then, it has been traditional for the High Septon to give their blessing to every new king.

The Targaryens had converted to the Faith on Dragonstone before Aegon's day, and Aegon always treaded lightly with the Faith. The High Septon protested when a marriage was proposed between Prince Maegor, Aegon's younger son, and Princess Rhaena Targaryen, the newborn daughter of Prince Aenys, Aegon's elder son. The High Septon suggested his own niece, Lady Ceryse Hightower, as a bride for the young prince. Maegor and Ceryse were subsequently wed in 25 AC at the Starry Sept, and matters calmed down.

Issues arose during the reign of Aegon I's successor, Aenys I Targaryen, when the new king's younger brother, Prince Maegor secretly took a second wife, Alys Harroway, in 39 AC. The polygamous marriage angered the Faith, and Aenys felt forced to exile his brother when Maegor refused to set Alys aside. Although Maegor left for Pentos, the High Septon was not satisfied. Aenys appointed Septon Murmison as his new Hand of the King, but even Murmison could not heal the rift between the Iron Throne and the Faith.

When Aenys wed his children, Princess Rhaena and Prince Aegon, to one another in 41 AC, the High Septon denounced him, calling him "King Abomination". This was the start of the Faith Militant uprising, during which even the pious lords and smallfolk who had loved Aenys turned against the king.

The uprising lasted the remaining year of Aenys I's reign, as well as the reign of his brother and successor, Maegor I. Maegor the Cruel placed a bounty on the Faith Militant and put out a decree that prohibited the Faith from arming itself. During Maegor’s campaigns against the Faith, thousands died. Although Maegor’s death resulted in the end of the campaigns, conflicts between the Crown and the Faith lasted until about a decade into the reign of Maegor's successor, King Jaehaerys I. Jaehaerys the Conciliator eventually resolved the issues between the crown and the Faith by promising that the Crown would always protect and defend the Faith. In return, the last few Stars and Swords were to put down their weapons, and the Faith was to agree to accept justice from the Iron Throne from that moment onwards.

The septon-king Baelor I Targaryen assumed the Iron Throne in 161 AC. The most pious of all Targaryen kings, Baelor the Blessed's interests were the Seven. He convinced the High Septon to dissolve his marriage to his sister, Princess Daena Targaryen, arguing that the marriage had been contracted before he had become king, and in addition had never been consummated. Next, Baelor placed Daena and his other sisters, Rhaena and Elaena, in what would become known as the Maidenvault, where only maidens were allowed to join them. The king stated that he wished to preserve their innocence, but some wondered whether Baelor had done so because he feared the temptation of their beauty.

Baelor's edicts, increasingly concerned with spiritual matters, became more zealous and erratic as his reign continued. He took a septon's vows, preventing himself from marrying again. Meanwhile, the High Septon grew more and more influential. When he died, Baelor declared to the Most Devout that the Seven had revealed to him the identity of the new High Septon. The Most Devout elected Baelor's choice, a stonemason who carved his stonework so beautifully that Baelor was convinced he was the Smith in human form. However, the illiterate man was unable to recall even the simplest of prayers. He died of illness after a year, at which point Baelor declared that an eight-year-old boy, whom he claimed to have seen speaking to doves who answered him in the voices of the Seven, should become the new High Septon. The Most Devout once again did as Baelor desired.

Baelor also ordered the construction of a new sept atop Visenya's Hill. The Great Sept of Baelor is an impressive marble dome structure with seven crystal towers, each of which has bells. Only on momentous occasions, such as the death of a king, are all of them rung. The lofty dome is made of glass and gold and crystal. Around the doors leading into the building is a raised marble pulpit from which a septon can address a gathering crowd. Past the doors is the entrance hall of the sept, which is known as the Hall of Lamps. Those entering the hall walk beneath suspended globes of coloured leaded glass.

K1tw3tfIwcMcJ42gZxqXuw1GVKTW05e1XE7joNJ5gegoSCMHYsIHBlYr-imarMik_UW1gVbFkRLJCiL3PrR_6VSl4UDw4_OcGEVI1EdVCZfzk4kmx6h6uAr9pmPQ0T65t4HlwUDxhJAuYJUlSq0t898

AI by me​

From the entrance hall, through the double-doors, is the sept-proper, with seven broad aisles which meet beneath the dome. It has seven large transepts. Its floors are made of marble, and great windows of leaded, coloured glass, and the seven altars are set about with candles. Different altars are used for different ceremonies, depending on their purpose. For example, marriages are always conducted at the altar between two towering gilded statues of the Father and the Mother. There are several sets of doors leading into the sept-proper; septons use the Father's Doors, septas the Mother's Doors, and silent sisters the Stranger's Steps. Below the sept are tombs where kings are laid to rest, cells for penitents, and vaults that hold costly vestments, rings, crystal crowns, and other treasures of the Faith. Thrice yearly septons from Baelor's Sept create heraldic drawings and illuminations for the White Book of the Kingsguard.

Completed many years after Baelor's death, the Great Sept of Baelor eventually became the new seat of the High Septon and the Most Devout, as well as a preeminent centre of religious education in the realm.

Clergy​

The male and female godsworn of the Faith are called septons and septas, respectively. Upon taking their vows, they set aside their last names, even if they come from noble families.

High Septon and the Most Devout​

The Most Devout are a council of the highest ranking clergy of the Faith of the Seven. Membership is limited to septons only. The Most Devout can be identified by their cloth-of-silver vestments and crystal coronals. Although the High Septon is usually elected from among the Most Devout, this is not a requirement. The High Septon and the Most Devout convene in the Great Sept of Baelor in King's Landing.

The High Septon is the head of the Faith of the Seven; they also hold several honorary titles such as Father of the Faithful, His High Holiness and Shepherd of the Faithful. A new High Septon extends the practice of septons giving up their family names by renouncing any kind of individual name. This is due to the belief that the individual becoming High Septon is no longer a man but an avatar of the gods. This leads to trouble distinguishing between various past holders of the office, as one can only refer to them by descriptions such as "the stonemason one" or "the fat one" or the "one before the fat one." Sometimes it is possible to winkle out the birth names of High Septons but they do not appreciate it if one uses them.

High Septons usually wear a great crown made of crystal and gold while performing their duties.

High Septons past and present​

Unfortunately the Fat septon who had the honour to crown the Restored Monarchs died just months after that.

His most worthy successor, the Scarred One, unfortunately might as well had been called the Brief One as he reigned for only three months before the Stranger came for him.

The disaster that was the next one, the Apostate, is covered in The Burning of High Septon part of The Crownlands Chapter.

After him came the Knight who indeed was a knight before becoming a septon. Given his status the Queen deemed it appropriate to bestow upon him one of the unrecognised Valyrian swords recovered from North Valyria and the Lands of the Long Summer. The Knight (the septon, not the aspect of the Gods in person) blessed the blade and it is now considered another one of the traditional symbols of the seat.

After the Knight’s rather questionable demise the Scholarly One came into power, but despite his effort he could not find any solid leads in his predecessors’ death’s investigation.

The Scholar was followed by the Angry, Fire-and-Brimstone type of septon. Fortunately this zealot died just three years into his reign.

6j6vGkVopcx4MkumI71J4bZS16EQQ0k9jSK_abwulbl7vCRYvVf73W3lm9VUrojIpVjLZGaOPCE1oum5mbQw6cX9P2JHJHkwI-I7FExXhwBf-1x86CYGtn8E2mu3lemXMGZZrzHAWMUPIDvUa3k74qI

The current High Septon, the Shy One, is the twenty eighth man to occupy this holy seat. Meek and extremely temperate men in public, there are rumours that behind closed doors he behaves much differently towards his unfortunate subordinates, often chastising them for the smallest of perceived slights.

Ii0Vy0SBF5IQGMe8tyzkvCeLDOiybmv6cPUhOZ3REAUh2J_AAHVUNAwyH0DiNFvLj8eThLRP5x-r1YyRtcFeHgsjmu2yjj8hUb6knQc67_jjri4_a9xEAayEnAJNbQIEdmlwgAjCHSLcoH5uiFtJ7B0

Septons​

Septons often wear white robes, seven-stranded belts of different colours, and a seven-sided crystal about their necks to reflect light and depict the rainbow.

They lead worship with incense, censers, and songs. Septons can perform marriages, provide prayers of passage when someone is dying, and copy letters (although some who copy and illuminate texts for the Faith are known to alter or remove texts they deem unacceptable). Followers of the Faith can seek spiritual guidance and be forgiven for their sins by septons. Some septons tend to the wounded, but the healing skills of maesters are considered superior. When a man becomes a knight, it is customary to stand a vigil and be anointed by a septon before reciting the knightly vows.

In villages which are too small to support a septon, a septon from a neighbouring village might visit twice a year. Other times, a "wandering septon", a septon who travels from village to village without a specific sept at which he serves, might visit these small villages. These septons perform holy services, marriages, and forgive sins. While the septon is visiting the village, the people must provide him with food and a place to sleep.

Noteworthy septons​

Much to the annoyance of the high religious authorities and possible dismay of more fame-seeking men and women of The Seven, the most well-known septon of our generation, without even a shadow of a doubt, is septon Trinket of Branstone. Trinket became a part of the household of the previous Lord of Branstone at the age of two months when he was found wounded and alone in the nearby woods. He grew up along with Lord’s children and eventually formed a very special bond with Ormond, the eldest son. When Ormond became the new Lord of Branstone, he made his childhood friend his personal septon, much to the amusement of everyone around him, but especially himself.

Most of septon Trinket’s fame of course stems from the simple fact that he is a literal bear in a robe and a pretty rainbow-coloured collar with a little cristal dangling from it. However his employer, Lord Ormond, is known to say that his bear is “probably much more in line with the Seven’s designs than the usual septon and definitely much more useful than any septon he ever knew.”

342OJZ8pCGrQwIB2v4YI50yYfEUPgXXU7pxbecvNyTpVdq3i_DTUY4NpyCe-fAFjOfVv30258H12W_5LVTCIBMYKWzYMdYqeKjQwOZzx_Amf0Pvku2X-fPbkJv68fJvVOTcK9-sTITumi0zSngrEm3k

Now that the bear in a room has been addressed, let us shift our focus to more conventional people of the cloth. Septon Rhalaso Laennalys, for example, is the head of septons at the Red Keep and is seen as the second-most influential septon in the realm, right after the High Septon himself. Rhalaso hails from a prominent family in Port Vaedar, a harbour town on the island of Mhysa Faer in the Smoking Sea. Sadly his brother Aryos disapproved of Rhalaso’s choice to leave his family’s name behind and pursue the faith. This led to a bitter argument between the brothers that still remains unresolved.

F56mdK0yabh62P5SJhzw0JCSrjtr2pCZc2yiLA5FYPUreh-P0NkcgpJCPKIVf_5EZdXyLTYRxsP15PsB7FzUYUd6ztRl_2Kw5B76FsXdvqGOpzhplAdl6j3ce8yMEPYpVImBCj5KKQeaVQSapR4zVuU

Not everyone agrees that the septon of the Red Keep is the second-most important septon of the realm though, septons of the Starry Sept in Oldtown especially. The current septon of this second-most important sept of the Realm is septon Willas. Despite his unwavering belief in the powers of The Seven he is of a mind that the Gods save the man who saves himself. It would seem that he is quite concerned with the unexpectedly gruesome deaths of his predecessors and in his strive to avoid a similar fate he sometimes might be a bit overzealous with purges, especially the ones involving fire, often ordering the thorough sweeps of the streets to get rid of the city’s population of rats.

UNzu1KEpc7WcD-fN8_YwPqna1AvutHb7KqvD5zl0JVEHhDv-ZE2lSgkKSshDZos_X2CVjtv8CvCS93Gzi109ntlFPt5Iq78iZPs9W-Te4iUtcdXlUgcfMuhz0orZLnME9e1y-ap0gLsfr9KrBxljo98

Septon Willas’ closest neighbour is the septon of the Lord’s Sept in the same city of Oldtown. The current one is septon Merrell who unexpectedly came into this post following the spectacular death of septon Orryn whose face literally exploded during a sermon (the Barftism, as some acolytes later came to call it).

8SuT_Nv8Q1BFj8F9zU9wU8XNMm8-NpLsfQQSyQEDcUCWhvcjqtBEknOWgW3okwxO6DQmHeAqVUlLyYYQPpzxrHjW3KTVrfVxymoKpyjuhAkF2WnPEMZ0cIcwT0eCaI5DDPm-3psuO36oO32s07kpp1c

Another huge and imposing sept is located at Highgarden, the capital castle of the Reach. Despite his rather unpleasant appearance and fickle self-importance, the current septon Horas is much more popular than his predecessor, septon Quentyn, who reportedly was an absolute menace to his congregation (some say that he actually saw the Stranger as the most important of The Seven; his sermons demanding the smallfolk to work themselves to a glorious death in service of their betters do not make for a good counterpoint to that either).

dKXCMZs5SSX6s8kgsT2B1jjzlsc6uLLiXMqj2IpUcHmK4X5jaAzPGQH9MtWJbaloErXEZ3z8XqlPtv01rHEozJkg31PArbeMjKFdMvEj59wH1DR_R48zMzLqTI6gam73yeE9bL5i-ZUUdKeLkC-vxBY

Speaking of menaces. Another prominent sept, this one in Lannisport, was not so long ago plagued by one of their. Septon Tyrek the Monstrous was the head of the Lannisport’s sept during the reign of Lord Tyrion who was notoriously indifferent to the matters of the faith and let the faithful govern themselves. Unfortunately that meant that the sept was mostly left to its own devices which led to some tragic events, such as the birth of Alyn, Tyrek’s son who some say was conceived against his mother’s will (given the fact that she was a septa and later a Mother in an adjacent motherhouse). The boy, Alyn, grew up into a good and promising man and later became a septon in his father’s own sept, but unfortunately died from a severe flu at the age of forty. Contrary to that sadness, there was an actual feast and a cheerful sermon soon after septon Tyrek was found in a pool of his own vomit, having fallen asleep so in his cups that he could not ever wake up again, much to the joy of his flock. The current septon, Erwin the Wicked, is fat less wicked than his predecessor and is mostly called as such for his interest in things usually frowned upon among the faithful. That and the fact that one of his subordinates, septon Adrian, died while imprisoned on his orders.

hjFBBgqmrmCVMU5vQQzuSuu8YPxKD8HNt9iNVNJixOGRfLDCqnl1okkqGsN1fczAWNTiBG_BvQ5UOQKNxo8TAAy6W6X5Ou2WNmaAqFeFop_DtwH8ciMD5kuRhSDJkzzPZyiQJIQGaWhr83eGrNxfhAQ

There are also a couple of interesting faithful beyond the borders of the Realm.

Two of them, septon Mathis and septa Sarya, belonged to the new Andal House of Hugor, both being the children of King Baelor the Careless.

72CJE18obo7afmvc8H2xP60rWAlEsDrn2j8CTl1vtRxcgZzgkfe6v4O3VBjIqt0eKClmNVPWLxwUO1B6kb2_XogtVXZTEHae1mHnxQvM4Mhnmh6XELVPOik1QJH9linaEXMv2iKQsABWK6EOMgzwWOo

Another septon, Myles, is the leader of the Weary Men - a group of people that fought with Baelor for their freedom and decided to stay and train together as professional defenders of their new realm.

CxitGN-j4yMplnvxoUAFR0PGoIRWWB6bgV_p85gt0zMQzV7IredHDg2q87LOLSs0FF6h7R_szYb3c_gc3ynibP23qUcc5g86C5XO_63wZgNsDqtw9BgZg77gLiTASBlVNdndEVfvVowT-OcGirHR48c

Two other septons both hail from the Realm but found themselves very far from it.

Septon Tommard of Samyriana, initially from the Westerlands, came to Hyrkoon with the Patriarch Leino’s mysterious wife Erena (more about her can be found in The Stone Road part of The Bone Mountains Chapter).

eIMuPsSkdgLeewZJnfBOTwBmesoqEVC1TuTJtuCDVbFTbDcG8rIHc6Z42AvOPJfs8F30y2Q5Ayv9nhnkddueKj-L60Lf9DWVTzSqm55BZpbM1uBUXnnnqjVUZ2WZ7MQUHZYmjZJMmQW9RuTqqC_Vl8U

Septon Davos, a stone dornish man who served with the group of hedgeknights, stayed in Faros after his leader’s death as a septon for the leader’s daughter, Lady Samantha, who became the wife for the Lord of Faros (more about her can be found in the “Blood and Wine” (House Redwyne) part of The Reach Chapter). After her exile, septon Davos was given mercy and allowed to stay due to his failing health.

UnMHVjteYDFbSKzZCTSSv7WX0qMP3ukPbNQEOcRLoKEdSdG43zUbjZWqYAT66z8u0Drvd_cfQnzy6KFnRI3r9p6eRmMGo5rVUlbSmiK6vEhVKO7YMvNeGtVxvZXmypZ0utjGD3dg-UXEkWK6D55pfmM

Septas​

Septas typically dress in white robes with woven seven-colour belts. They sometimes wear hoods, but not always, and their hair can be seen. Like septons, septas often wear a crystal pendant about their necks.

oF7uzGrp1vVSj31am1YgPKjFqjyq3irDy9xgg7mqRTp2YikSZtSB2Ig6SSLLAri-WuMwF_3Y2Sun2te6MsZJLILbGZL3ZiKa2_dqJhKpiMP8AMeGzkamNf1-UjmrWtyVufY-fMVISHpuaF8YLn3HtWY

Septa Rosine by NickRoblesArt
(DeviantArt unfortunately deactivated and I couldn’t find this picture on any of the author’s other pages)​

Women who wish to become septas train first as novices. Septas, like the septons, can receive confession from believers in the Seven. Septas often serve at motherhouses and in cloisters, but they also may serve as governesses in noble households. Apart from teaching girls needlework and other womanly arts, septas teach them how to read, write, and do sums, and they also educate about piety, deportment, and the mysteries of the Faith. Septas are supposed to serve as chaperones and guardians when their female charges keep company with men. Septas take a vow of chastity, but unlike the silent sisters, septas do not swear a vow of silence.

Noteworthy septas​

Traditionally, women of the Faith do not hold any significant power outside of the Motherhouses. Naturally there always are exceptions to every rule. This one in particular is actively being broken by Lady Jonara who leads the congregation of the Maidenpool sept in her own right.

rvelADybw8IDzcRFgfWLHgSLZno-GHJ8F260rCRIt2UNTzKeaeI-LctkXJsAAAFkTunNt8TaZkKRNqeXLLJ7FWbZDnvYl6rdEDz1ob1Ndvd5IFvQCb1VXg999Tgfi01IajhZqJPDMRKX_hwXB3i66EM

Another peculiar exception to the rule comes in a homely, but wise face of septa Helya, a very young orphan girl of just three-and-ten who was found wandering Dorne’s northern shore with her simple-minded brother Jonos. Lord Orrys of The Scourge was so fascinated by this girl who can recite all the holy books of The Seven just from her memory that he let her stay in a small tower near his castle. Soon it became known as Maidentower and people started coming there to look and speak to this “blessed girl”. Despite her young age she is now considered as one of the local smallfolk leaders of the Faith.

hqDYK--GEXpAsmwFmSRAxp2S69F2CiRZNiRtHz8h3EySfH7dFQrbGTsau6uXsk3i2aPl0tjXIV6P2tMx735PMys94yecXnWctpHlPKvR_c6pfx9TiKge0PB9Z3lVujH7Tsupbt6lHPq_EDG5ndGf-_E

Silent Sisters​

The silent sisters, also referred to as the Stranger's wives or death's handmaidens, are an order of women belonging to the Faith of the Seven, but they are not to be confused with septas.

The sisters are sworn to the service of the Stranger and have taken vows of chastity and silence. The belief that their tongues are removed is a myth; silent sisters are silent because of piety. They are shrouded in grey robes and keep their faces cowled except for their eyes.

5Jk26IB0qheKlwL_D5krV4VHrsOtVRfdTBhvpQdHCrpjqhrQ8xtKr0PC-G6L_dtA7zdBPHDQkJHwfu9E1k2gJ95jmUtJsulZ0S4oqEj_wHleSB1s68GWEgTRHJGBaAho72tXEJkDa5ia-eHiYhN_tJI

Silent sisters cleanse the head of a diseased with fire, AI by me​

The silent sisters' main function is the collection and handling of the bodies of noble dead, such as preparing them for funerals. Silent sisters can be skilled barbers, as they might need to trim beards and cut hair. The women can remove the bowels and organs and drain a body of blood, stuffing it with salts and fragrant herbs. Silent sisters often dress the deceased in their finest attire, such as tunics or armour. To allow for easier transport or burial, silent sisters can strip flesh from the deceased's bones through boiling or beetles.

The silent sisters are always glad to welcome new members, especially widows, but sometimes girls and women are sent to become silent sisters as a punishment. It is said that silent sisters have a serene life, a life of prayer, contemplation and good works. They bring solace to the living and peace to the dead. However, they also administer harsh discipline among their order. Novices shave their heads, take cold baths, eat meatless meals, are scrubbed with horsehair brushes, and wear roughspun robes. Disobedient novices can even be caned.

People of Westeros are often uneasy about and wary of the women; since the silent sisters prepare men for the grave, it is considered ill fortune to look on the face of death.

Noteworthy silent sisters​

There are only two places entirely dedicated to the training and housing of the silent sisters, both are located in Dorne.

Halls of the Dead, the bigger one, located in the Ghost Hills, is nominally led by septa Ismerei, although due to her very progressed and utterly debilitating illness the sisters there are mostly left to their own devices.

The smaller place, called the Deadglade, is located not far from Plankytown. This one is led by septa Tasene, a renowned beauty in her prime years, who ended up as a silent sister after one too many of her sarcastic remarks she made in the presence of her employer.

rG49oBTeKGVZo2s3thePDVBH4hyXSVr0A7bSc8IRFgwhSMBU3NTydpBdypdyqwL_l4EpzExy4espmf1nDlSuFx1mGPTHAXhxxDFChIuq2eqZ_OKiQCgegiOZycNMfPz_8EpNroDpWZRi9LXyRdebW_4

Another interesting silent sister is the one responsible for the bodies of the deceased at the Westwatch-by-the-Bridge. Damina, or the Black Bard as the inmates mockingly call her for her silence, apparently comes from Lorath and even follows the Lorathi faith instead of The Seven. According to some, she was indeed a poetess once, but one of her poems did not go well with its intended audience and instead of coin Damina got herself a mouthrag, dead bodies and audience of condemned criminals.

3wqx2FMJX9DF7pkwpfujhACh6XmO_S_VyQmGF_t2yW_VZQfCb0TpHOKuQ3FQwVQNnzZqpU4eTfdnsbSF3UvwHyjutC8dQPNhkibVo-M-q8fRajWVox7RUSXPCcy5cm92VirhZf-M0HkC-el7xemifNo

There are also two high-born silent sisters that ended up silenced by their own families, and two kinslayeresses who for some reason were spared the rope.

0eJK3hST2be-S40VH6cxLIlSCPgEW4HPQ3Ao7b2cpD_SrTctuhZ3_zUWbWRD2ZNMvyVejXpefBnVCXKtRPz9iCVoti4j_nFa-s6Q5QFpwg_0p9YXxhhUP_5i7Lp6-wlolKQGWDMgacHMYx0-O0Zr1I8

Holy brothers and sisters​

On the other side of the spectrum are the most humble members of the Faith, "holy brothers and sisters". Many of the holy brothers wear tonsures, cutting the hair on their scalps as an act of humility and to show the Father that they have nothing to hide. Holy brothers often wear robes of brown, dun, or green. Some holy brothers wear the iron hammer of the Smith about their neck.

Begging brothers travel from place to place, but are not to be confused with wandering septons, as the latter are one rank higher in the Faith's hierarchy. The begging brothers are often dressed in threadbare or roughspun robes of undyed wool belted with hempen rope, and some go about barefoot. Some wear a bowl on a leather thong around their necks. Wandering the realm as a begging brother might be done as a penance.

Septries​

More sedentary brothers can serve at septries, communities of the Faithful where brothers live in penitence, quiet contemplation, and prayer, often taking a vow of silence. The leader of the community, the Elder Brother, is assisted by proctors. At septries where brothers take vows of silence, only the Elder Brother and his proctors may speak.

Notable Brothers​

The septry at the Quiet Isle contains terraced fields, an apple grove, a stable, a windmill, cloisters, a common hall, and a wooden sept. Its current septon, Florian, is a rather unremarkable man, especially in contrast to three of the previous septons of the Isle who became High Septons (the Scarred One and the Shy One).

0S8ONiPE7YPNOcIjxxlGKASHOJ87BfbOLiSvXcW74haIm90tYKoKXFWBTAaPO9_WNj8t_-lCq5X4g3HGitBsmW2zfcUE_b_TrqrWcthtii0PfqcGHj5xuXkP9f7x0VMRaaLoES0lChz_CeyNeOfNVP4

Forty-four brothers live at a prosperous Holy House in the Riverlands. They tend to a dozen milk cows and a bull, a hundred beehives, a vineyard, an apple arbour, a mill, and a brewhouse. The septry has wooden walls and a heavy slate roof. It is currently occupied by an absolutely insane septon Karyl who lost his mind to a brothel disease and now tries to find a magical cure in the teachings of the East. Despite that he immediately burned the pale-skinned man that came to the septry, accusing him of being a cultist of the Starry Wisdom all the way from Qarth.

qdaO9o6epC1trLsVWwVNh2EE5OzFJWG84CdNCP13JmM4FvMHW5nRePuyark4QlMD2AmKvc7Q-XtMIIS_fdypx0ni5yrIigDJVUx22wI7Sn1SRtOzWDbvdMvZY1Vhp0bE2oMObu5-K2LDDQRzG4Ij9j0

Insapton Karyl also declared one of the brothers, a handsome dornish lover of poetry, to be an apostate and even branded the poor man with a white-hot cattle brand despite having no evidence to support his accusation.

NzAmSyNgj8zz9jtLvl7O7QSM0xsE0D3UesmJQgv4oAx-6L5Qkd8ePq-pkzM32tD6XHG4nI5S1GCixfrNtFr1SpWbSas_eSz9OmZDUDKYnA9x0LpNEnBIpW18rnBcf4FeZ1KMkDkVStfAvnTIdYVVkzo

Motherhouses​

Motherhouses are corresponding communities for women. The leader of the community bears the title of Mother. Holy sisters can wear robes of white, blue, or grey.

Notable Mothers​

Mother Ryella, a seemingly pious and kind-hearted woman who leads this holy motherhouse, apparently is not as pious and kind as she tries to be seen, given that she had condemned a young mother to a fiery death despite the fact that she herself has a bastard daughter with another faithful, septon Gilwood, who shamelessly resides in the same motherhouse.

iQ4PuaDJqZusuUVCBl57pzjBK0eK-rl-zB8A1B2W8ffUNYv_B9FNacQ8Hj7aVw92ISj1mU8Fln1UiC5TbcQkBDbXiFQxWqNee5zWxPvmUBHaJkoEcnIp21aZ01jVw1NKxJlavetsNBIlRPc2dRtCBL4

In stark contrast to this situation, Mother Moranne of the Grand Motherhouse of Lannisport genuinely is pious and kind-hearted and is well-beloved for that, with even noble houses giving her their sons for tutelage.

GDimVqdJpv4L3Pi8fBNiziLIRezlzO4ZZuRmIPnmQcz3wCmVTXP_yBjLZQHELtQ6b9N6SX0fs10HIGEfjtnsvUYmLST16SJNoT5gm4OOQQvWTXhcqUVu7EBR5YPRMq9r2p9snPmfWgAqzhDTNEPJfjc

All was not always so well in the Grand Motherhouse, however. Moranne’s predecessor, Mother Benera, had a son with septon Tyrek the Monstrous, who she claimed had brutally raped her. There were some who doubted this claim given Benera’s rather unpredictable character, but most believed her due to Tyrek’s abhorrent nature. Benera’s unstable personality however tragically cost two men their lives as she condemned her fellow brother and later our fellow maester to fiery deaths on the grounds of their alleged beliefs.

GW-BIKaL3oiEVIafaO9uXtD0jgaok9Opvh5ut3zEhAScW3ZErjKdtVz-vIeZ_wVi-DnJ_wzalGkwMyxrxvWb2D6_iYhJIn84Xc8KtHhaDS7U2ts4XsAFG4xIiqvToYYRcB3WwiIgMgwX1han2vxAwCQ

Customs​

Although the laws of the Iron Throne and the gods are seen as separate, teachings of the Faith have a heavy influence on the law and justice of the realm. The Faith preaches against prostitution, gambling, and bastardy. It holds slavery to be an abomination, and considers polygamy and incest - except for Targaryens, under the Doctrine of Exceptionalism - as monstrous and vile sins. Followers of the Faith consider no man as accursed as the kinslayer, although the degree of kin and circumstance of killing one's kin (e.g., in war) hold significant influence.

In association with the seven aspects of their god, the number seven is considered holy. Septons speak of the seven aspects of grace during prayer, and the gods are said to have made seven wonders. In the night sky, seven "wanderers" can be seen, each sacred to one of the Seven. Seven oils are used during a child naming ceremony, as part of the knighting ceremony, and when anointing a king. The seventh day of the seventh moon is a day deemed sacred and each of the Seven has their own holy day.

Religious worship is done in seven-walled buildings called septs. The wealthier septs have statues and altars for each of the Seven, whereas poorer septs might use carved masks or crude charcoal drawings of the Seven. The altars are sometimes inlaid richly with mother-of-pearl, onyx, and lapis lazuli. Windows are made from leaded glass, depicting scenes and pictures, and a great crystal catches light, spreading it in a rainbow of colours, also sacred. Septs can be found across the Seven Kingdoms, although they are rare in the north and absent from the Iron Islands. Some lords might agree to have a sept built upon their lands. In such cases, the septs are the property of the lord in question.

Prayer in a sept is done to each of the seven faces of the god that one wishes to ask for aid. Holding hands and singing is often part of worship and prayer. Candles can be lit to honour the gods.

Crystals and light are important elements in the Faith. People may also wear signs of devotion to a particular god, such as a small iron hammer on a thong for the Smith. Hymns for a particular god can also be sung during prayer.

The Faith has a number of holy books. The most important one is The Seven-Pointed Star. It is divided up into sections, based on the different aspects of the faith.

Septons who cannot read or write memorise prayers, rituals, and ceremonies, and are able to recite long passages from The Seven-Pointed Star. For more condensed material the septons also often use The Book of Holy Prayer. There is also a children’s lullaby about the Seven which honours all the gods except for the Stranger, as no one ever sings of him.

The Song of the Seven
The Father's face is stern and strong,
He sits and judges right from wrong.
He weighs our lives, the short and long,
And loves the little children.

The Mother gives the gift of life,
And watches over every wife.
Her gentle smile ends all strife,
And she loves her little children.

The Warrior stands before the foe,
Protecting us where e'er we go.
With sword and shield and spear and bow,
He guards the little children.

The Smith, he labours day and night,
To put the world of men to right.
With hammer, plough, and fire bright,
He builds for little children.

The Maiden dances through the sky,
She lives in every lover's sigh.
Her smiles teach the birds to fly,
and gives dreams to little children.

The Crone is very wise and old,
And sees our fates as they unfold.
She lifts her lamp of shining gold
To lead the little children.

The Seven Gods who made us all,
Are listening if we should call.
So close your eyes, you shall not fall,
They see you, little children.
Just close your eyes, you shall not fall,
They see you, little children.

Marriage​

A marriage ceremony takes place in a sept. The ceremony is presided over by a septon and involves prayers, vows, singing, and lighting of candles.

Usually the wedding gowns are made in shades of white, such as ivory samite and ivory silk. The bride also wears a cloak in the colours of her house, called the “maiden's cloak”. The bride's father, or the person standing in his place (usually kin or whoever else is closest to living kin), will escort the bride to the marriage altar, placed between the statues of the Mother and the Father, where the septon and groom await her.

Seven vows are made, seven blessings are invocated, and seven promises are exchanged, after which a wedding song is sung. Next, a challenge is made to speak against the marriage, and if the challenge goes unanswered, the wedding cloaks are exchanged. The bride's father, or the person standing in his place, removes the cloak from the bride's shoulders, so that her husband can place a cloak of his own house colours about her shoulders. This signifies the bride passing from her father's protection into her husband's protection. The bride and groom speak the words “With this kiss I pledge my love”, potentially followed with an additional “…and take you for my lord and husband” and “ …and take you for my lady and wife” by the bride and groom respectively, after which the septon will declare them to be man and wife, stating they are “one flesh, one heart, one soul, now and forever”.

The wedding ceremony is followed by a feast. A wedding pie will be presented during the feast, which is filled with living birds (e.g., doves, songbirds, bluejays, skylarks, pigeons, doves, mockingbirds, nightingales, sparrows, parrots). The bride and groom cut open the pie, allowing the birds to fly away.

After the feast follows the bedding. The bride is escorted to her bedroom, usually by the men from the feast, who will undress her along the way while making rude jokes. The women at the feast will do the groom the same honours. Usually, once the bride and groom are in the bedchamber they are left alone, though wedding guests might stand on the other side of the door, shouting suggestions. Nonetheless, in some cases, witnesses might be present for the bedding, though it is unknown how far this witness duty goes.

A marriage that has not been consummated can be set aside by the High Septon or a Council of Faith. Neither bride nor groom needs to be present for an annulment. However, it must be requested by at least one of the wedded pair. Divorce in Westeros is not common. Nonetheless, a king is able to put his queen aside—even if she has given birth to his children—and marry another. Another way of ending a marriage is by having the bride join the silent sisters. Similarly, when a man takes the vows of the Night's Watch, his marriage is over.

Trials​

Trials can be presided over by a septon. During a regular trial, the septon will begin with a prayer, beseeching the Father Above to guide them towards justice. During the trial the septon will swear a man to honesty before he is to give testimony. At the start of a trial by combat, the septon will raise a crystal sphere above his head, He might ask the gods to look down and bear witness upon the trial, and help them find truth in the soul of the accused, granting the accused life and freedom if innocent and death if guilty, or beseech the Father to aid in judgement, and the Warrior to lend strength to the person whose cause is just.

A special form of trial by combat, which is seldom used, is Trial of Seven.

The custom originates from the Andals who believed that the gods would be honoured to see seven champions fight on each side, and therefore be more likely to see that justice was done. The accused is declared innocent if his accuser or accusers are either defeated or yield, thereby withdrawing their accusations. If the accused is slain, it is believed the gods have judged him guilty, and the trial of seven ends. If the accused cannot find six men to stand with him, he is declared guilty as well.

Knighthood​

A knight, referred to with the title "Ser", is a member of a warrior tradition that is unique to the Faith of the Seven and heavily interwoven in the culture of the Seven Kingdoms.

Knighthood likely has its roots in Andal culture due to its association with the Faith of the Seven, which was brought to Westeros with the coming of the Andals. Legends of the Reach claim chivalry was brought by the First Knight, John the Oak, however. The military success of mounted knights and their steel armament proved vital to the Andals' conquest of most of Westeros. Knighthood holds less cultural significance in areas of Westeros that are less assimilated to Andal culture, such as the north and the Iron Islands, though there are knights from these regions.

Knights display a coat-of-arms on their shield and surcoat to identify themselves. Those who are nobly born often wear the arms of their house. Many knights wear large crests on their helms that embellish the theme of their arms. Some might choose to use variations of their house's sigil, however, or a completely new coat-of-arms.

Although not an absolute requirement for becoming a knight, boys, often nobly born, can serve as pages and later squires. Boys can become pages at several different ages, but traditionally it is expected of them to become a page from the ages of six or seven onwards. After several years of serving as a page, a boy can become a squire. Boys are not required to serve as a page before becoming a squire, so the age of squiring can range widely. Formally the main duty of pages and squires is to train at arms. However they also run errands for their masters, tend to their master's animals, clean his mail, and help him into his armour whenever required. In times of war, they ride beside their masters, assisting them and fighting by their sides. During tourneys, squires will provide their masters with new lances, or with a sword. A boy who is being fostered but who is not training for knighthood (e.g., because he does not follow the Faith of the Seven), can perform the duties of a page and squire without strictly being one.

1XbenO1WGZnslN49AV7piXczV6CFR-CAEgmiozAsZ3D7-xydz5wzFcVzlTrESTfJ1CXFMdCD_h9M4SW5I0_ej9E25izZ0CB6p-kcrYXQ2Do2Fymfp3QZ1X2Vro0IQCo-2CV8dw9uBsMXUFvCB3NI3wQ

Ser Duncan the Tall with his squire Egg (the future King Aegon V Targaryen)
The Mystery Knight by GRR Martin by MarcSimonetti

Any man can be knighted, no matter their birth. Social pressure keeps knighthood from being exploited by unscrupulous knights who might give the accolade for money. Knighthood is seen as primarily a martial position, so even the sons of powerful lords are not necessarily knighted if they are incapable of fulfilling the requirements. Doing otherwise would lose honour rather than gain it, and would make a lord and his family be held up to ridicule. Regardless, at times, a lord's son is knighted without fulfilling the requirements. Further, a young knight's repute partially derives from the honour of the man who conferred knighthood on him. Receiving your knighthood from a king, prince, Kingsguard knight, or legendary knight holds great prestige.

Knights occupy a social standing between that of lords and smallfolk. Although lords hold certain legal rights (e.g., the right of pit and gallows) which knights do not have, and outrank knights at tourney’s and feasts, certain landed knights can be lord in all but name. It is mostly the title which sets the two apart, as the title of lord is generally considered to be more prestigious than the title “ser”. However, the title of a knight has its own prestige, as it cannot be inherited. And although knights are often ranked below lords, certain landed knights might actually be more powerful than lesser lords. It is certainly possible that a landed knight has more lands and wealth than a small lord. Especially landed knights who come from ancient houses, and who have extensive lands and a large, strong castle may actually be more powerful than many smaller lordlings. Such a peculiar status is often reflected by taking a style that incorporates the name of their castle, such as the Knight of Ninestars.

Lordly houses can be reduced to landed knights as punishment from the crown. The Conningtons, originally a lordly house, were reduced to landed knights by the Usurper Robert Baratheon as a punishment for Lord Jon Connington's participation in Robert's Rebellion on the side of House Targaryen. Instead of being the Lord of Griffin's Roost, the head of House Connington became known as the Knight of Griffin's Roost (their lordly status was reinstated following the Restoration). Knighthood can also be stripped from individuals, through attainder or royal decree.

Death​

The bodies of the deceased are given over to the silent sisters for ritual cleansing. They remove the bowels and organs, and drain the blood from the corpses in their care. They may also stuff the body with fragrant herbs and salts to preserve it and hide the smell of decomposition. The body of the deceased, especially if it concerns a nobility of high importance, might be placed on a bier. During funerals for such dignitaries, which can last several days, prayers are held on three occasions. While the morning services are open only to nobility, the afternoon prayers are open to the smallfolk and the evening prayers are available for all. People of lesser importance or status might be placed upon a bier elsewhere. A family member, friend, or even a concerned stranger stands last vigil.

When a man is laid in his grave, a septon usually says some prayers for him. The prayer always begins with "Father Above, judge [person] justly". A crystal might be placed upon the grave.

When the deceased dies far from home, his body will usually be escorted back to his or her family. At least one, and often more, silent sisters will accompany the body.

According to The Seven-Pointed Star, lives are like candle flames, easily snuffed out by errant winds. The septons teach that afterlife is a sweet surcease, and sing of voyaging to a far sweet land where men and women may laugh and love and feast until the end of days in the Father's golden hall. The Faith holds that there are seven heavens and seven hells. Each of the seven hells is deeper than the next. Sinners who do not repent their sins go to the seven hells; although The Seven-Pointed Star states that all sins may be forgiven, crimes must still be punished. The Lord of the Seven Hells is said to command demons and practise black arts.

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Yeah, the Faith is definitely the most fleshed out religion on Planetos. They seem... mostly inspired by Catholicism, although there are some differences (no incarnation is almost certainly the biggest, but there's also the fact that they aren't a splinter from a different religion).

I did not realize how... strange... Baelor was. I mean, I knew about the Maidenvault and the piety, but that was pretty much it.

It's interesting how much culture in the south is tied to the Faith. Kind of makes one wonder what would happen if the Faith lost influence somehow... Would the traditions remain out of inertia? Would they disappear or change?

Of course some of the septons and septa aren't as pious as they would like to be known. That's a staple of medieval and pseudo-medieval periods! :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Really like the AI art of the Starry Sept, its a shame theres not really much exisiting artwork of it.

He died of illness after a year
An ''Illness''

According to some, she was indeed a poetess once, but one of her poems did not go well with its intended audience and instead of coin Damina got herself a mouthrag, dead bodies and audience of condemned criminals.
Perhaps she preformed a poem of Robert Baratheon for Joffery? If that was the case, the myth that Silent Sisters have had their tongues removed might have some merit in her case.

The septry at the Quiet Isle contains terraced fields, an apple grove, a stable,
While a lot of people didnt like Briennes chapters in the books, I liked her adventures with the septon guy and getting more insight into the more humble aspects of the faith (compared to the gluttony and indulgence of the faith in Kings Landing) I really liked the description of the Quiet Isle, the stables in particular I remember having a rather ill tempered horse in them ;) . Speaking of that, whatever happened to the Hound in this world?

Seven oils are used during a child naming ceremony
Didnt know Westeros had child naming ceremonies.

witnesses might be present for the bedding, though it is unknown how far this witness duty goes.
Unfortunately it went pretty far for Theon, though he is not faith of the seven.

A special form of trial by combat, which is seldom used, is Trial of Seven.
Have never experienced this in the mod, but I think it would be really fun to write one.

Great chapter and artwork, this reminds me I should probably pay more attention to the faith in my game, I very rarely check in on what the High Septon is doing though to be fair I have never really seen them do much of anything, though maybe this changes if you change the laws and give the faith more authority.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah, the Faith is definitely the most fleshed out religion on Planetos. They seem... mostly inspired by Catholicism, although there are some differences (no incarnation is almost certainly the biggest, but there's also the fact that they aren't a splinter from a different religion).

I did not realize how... strange... Baelor was. I mean, I knew about the Maidenvault and the piety, but that was pretty much it.

It's interesting how much culture in the south is tied to the Faith. Kind of makes one wonder what would happen if the Faith lost influence somehow... Would the traditions remain out of inertia? Would they disappear or change?

Of course some of the septons and septa aren't as pious as they would like to be known. That's a staple of medieval and pseudo-medieval periods! :)
I have seen some strong opinions from some in the ASOIAF community that the Faith of the Seven is a very shallow parody of Medieval Christianity that lacks the interesting complexity of its inspiration and has everything bad about Medieval Christianity with little of the good to the point that it is a wonder that anybody in Westeros really believes in it. There are lots of sinners and hypocrites among the clergy of the Seven and that was and is true of Christian clergy. But there are also great saints and figures among the medieval Christian clergy, but we don't really see great figures and saints among the clergy of the Seven. Most people in Westeros seems to treat the Faith of the Seven religion like how 1980s Soviet citizens treated communism as it being something everything that everybody is supposed to believe in, but few really do, and the Faith of the Seven seems to only exist because George R.R. Martin felt that he needed a pseudo-Christianity to go with his pseudo-European Westeros acting as a 'default religion' and to make jabs at organized religion.

Great chapter and artwork, this reminds me I should probably pay more attention to the faith in my game, I very rarely check in on what the High Septon is doing though to be fair I have never really seen them do much of anything, though maybe this changes if you change the laws and give the faith more authority.
At the highest possible faith authority, the High Septon has the powers of the Catholic Pope in vanilla and will use it like the Pope but it is rare for faith authority to go that high.

Members of the Faith worship the Seven Who Are One, a single deity with seven aspects or faces. For the less educated, however, this concept is often difficult to grasp, causing them to often believe that there are indeed seven different gods.
This is obviously based on the concept of the Christian Trinity but with seven aspects. However, Trinitarian Christian clergy will pound very hard that the faithful are supposed to worship one god, not third gods which is considered heresy and will object very strongly to people who insist Trinitarian Christians are really worshipping third deities and are violating Abrahamic monotheism in doing so. In Westeros, the belief that the Seven are seven separate gods seems to be practically the mainstream belief among the Faithful despite it is going against the official theology. The Faith of the Seven has a remarkable lack of theological disputes and schisms. Ancient and medieval Christians were in constant conflict and schisms over theological and leadership questions such as the exact nature of Christ or the Trinity or who should take leadership of the local national church and over the whole Christian church.

Some fans have questioned why didn't the Dornish branch of the Faith break away or declare autonomy when the Targaryens of the Iron Throne asserted their authority over the Faith and modified the official theology by adding the Doctrine of Exceptionalism. The Eastern Orthodox Church generally accepts the authority of secular leaders such as the Eastern Roman Emperor, the Muslim Ottoman sultan or in an extreme case even the state atheist Soviet Union over the church in a policy known as Caesaropapism. This policy was obviously rejected by the Catholic Papacy in the West. To go alongside caesaropapism, the Orthodox Christians also believe that each independent Orthodox country should have their own autonomous or autocephalous church so that the local Orthodox Church isn't ultimately subject to a foreign secular ruler. But the Dornish branch of the Faith didn't break away or declare autonomy from the High Septons under the Iron Throne's control when King Jaehaerys started modifying the theology of the Faith to justify Targaryen incest or when Baelor started naming High Septons.

There are ways I think to make the Faith of the Seven more interesting even without introducing a Protestant Reformation analogue like some Fanfictions do. Perhaps there could be a movement or an influential figure that tries to pound on the idea of one god and not seven gods into the minds of the faithful. Perhaps some start describing the deity of the Faith as the "One who are Seven" instead of the usual "Seven who are One" formula in their prayers. Perhaps there could be ethnic issues between Andal and non-Andal believers in the Seven because the Faith of the Seven is basically an Andal ethnic religion even if some non-Andals have converted to out of convenience unlike Christianity or Islam which are universal religions.

To be fair, most modern writers would have trouble depicting the religious mindset of medieval folks, GRRM is just too cynical to even try. GRRM has openly admitted to not being able to understand why some people believe in their religions so strongly that they are willing to kill or die for it.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
In response to @Bored Student1414:

If we're talking about ways to make the Faith more interesting, we could also add disputes about the nature of the Seven. Not all Christians are Trinitarian, and that was a huge issue in the early church.

Also, Faith of the Seven Crusades sounds interesting, although Baelor kind of had that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
they aren't a splinter from a different religion
I actually would argue that they kinda are in a sense cause even with the staggering stagnation of the world surely the faith of the andals that cme from the east had to mutate in some form over all those centuries. At least in my head it had to morph some elements of the old gods religion, twist and incorporate it into it's own. Although it isn't a splinter per se cause there are no old andal faith anymore... oh well ^^'
I did not realize how... strange... Baelor was
Yeah, this one really went full targ madness in a whole unique direction.
Would the traditions remain out of inertia? Would they disappear or change?
I live in a VERY atheistic country yet we still decorate the hell out of our streets on Christmas, party like demons on Halloween and our most revered holiday is Midsummer. So probably beloved and fun traditions would stay, but all the angry bs would gradually die out.
That's a staple of medieval and pseudo-medieval periods!
And not so medieval, unfortunately XD

Really like the AI art of the Starry Sept, its a shame theres not really much exisiting artwork of it.
I was surprised to find that out tbh. I was absolutely sure that finding pics of Starry and especially Baelor's septs would be a five minutes google, but nope. Had to torture poor midjourney for quite some time for something at least decent enough.
An ''Illness''
Definitely. Indisputably. Nothing sus at all.
Perhaps she preformed a poem of Robert Baratheon for Joffery? If that was the case, the myth that Silent Sisters have had their tongues removed might have some merit in her case.
I'm afraid that if that was Joffrey a tongue would just be the beginning.
While a lot of people didnt like Briennes chapters in the books, I liked her adventures with the septon guy and getting more insight into the more humble aspects of the faith (compared to the gluttony and indulgence of the faith in Kings Landing) I really liked the description of the Quiet Isle
Same. Don't really have any issues with that chapter, it was a nice piece of worldbuilding while also sowing seeds for conspiracy theories to indulge in, and I really like both XD
whatever happened to the Hound in this world?
Oooh, that is a fun one! He married Barsena Blackhair XD I got her out of Meereen and headcanoned her as one of Dany's 24/7 bodyguards (since the whitecloaks are not really welcomed in the chambers while the Queen bathes, for example). The Hound was chilling in the KL as well while I was busy with the Lannisters and the Mountain and he and Barsena somehow had a bastard son soon after she came to court XD I checked and they were lovers so I married them to each other and removed the bastard trait from their son.
Didnt know Westeros had child naming ceremonies.
I didn't think about it, but then I remembered the "X nameday" and "Y nameday" and it clicked.
Unfortunately it went pretty far for Theon, though he is not faith of the seven.
Ugh, yeah, that... There are no gods, old or new, in that bedchamber, that's for sure.
Have never experienced this in the mod, but I think it would be really fun to write one.
I think I've red that there is actually the possibility for that to happen, but I also never had it in any of my ungodly amount of playthroughs. Would be very interesting to have it tho, I agree.
I very rarely check in on what the High Septon is doing though to be fair I have never really seen them do much of anything, though maybe this changes if you change the laws and give the faith more authority
Same, he's usually just chilling there and occasionally crowns someone and dies XD I think they do have some agenda if the authority goes up, and the faith militant too. It just dawned on me that I've never tried that for some reason (probably something to do with my own IRL firm anticlericalism)... Might do a quick Maegor run on them >:[

I have seen some strong opinions from some in the ASOIAF community that the Faith of the Seven is a very shallow parody of Medieval Christianity that lacks the interesting complexity of its inspiration and has everything bad about Medieval Christianity with little of the good to the point that it is a wonder that anybody in Westeros really believes in it. There are lots of sinners and hypocrites among the clergy of the Seven and that was and is true of Christian clergy. But there are also great saints and figures among the medieval Christian clergy, but we don't really see great figures and saints among the clergy of the Seven. Most people in Westeros seems to treat the Faith of the Seven religion like how 1980s Soviet citizens treated communism as it being something everything that everybody is supposed to believe in, but few really do, and the Faith of the Seven seems to only exist because George R.R. Martin felt that he needed a pseudo-Christianity to go with his pseudo-European Westeros acting as a 'default religion' and to make jabs at organized religion.
Even though I am very anti-religious, I am also very curious about it, especially Abrahamic (naturally, given it's undeniable impact on western civilization which I have the (mis)fortune to be a part of), and I actually agree with that sentiment. The Faith is a stand-in for a proper religion and lacks any complexity whatsoever which is a shame really cause it is supposed to be this HUGE influence on the lives of the masses. Maaayyybe we didn't see anything realted to it cause it wasn't yet that relevant to the lives of the POVs and now that we have the Sparrow and the Sparrows and the Faith Militant 2.0 we'll see some semblance of depth, but for some reason I really doubt it (as I doubt we'll get to see anything at all, but that's another sadness entirely XD)
At the highest possible faith authority, the High Septon has the powers of the Catholic Pope in vanilla and will use it like the Pope but it is rare for faith authority to go that high.
That settles it, I'm gonna go Maegor me some militants and see what can this septon high on crystals do in-game.
This is obviously based on the concept of the Christian Trinity but with seven aspects. However, Trinitarian Christian clergy will pound very hard that the faithful are supposed to worship one god, not third gods which is considered heresy and will object very strongly to people who insist Trinitarian Christians are really worshipping third deities and are violating Abrahamic monotheism in doing so. In Westeros, the belief that the Seven are seven separate gods seems to be practically the mainstream belief among the Faithful despite it is going against the official theology.
Oh, it most definitely is the Trinity on steroids. But to be fair, even in our world there are people who literally pray to either holy father, holy son OR the holy spirit, and also a heck of a ton of different Marys and an innumerable number of saints, so I guess it's kinda the same with the Seven where the clergy says one thing, but the common folk is doing common folk things and just puts the new names on older traditions. I guess in our wolrd it was the easiest with the father and the spirit cause almost every IRL old belief system has some fatherly figures and definitely spirits (probably strong ones to make sure all that made sense XD)
The Faith of the Seven has a remarkable lack of theological disputes and schisms. Ancient and medieval Christians were in constant conflict and schisms over theological and leadership questions such as the exact nature of Christ or the Trinity or who should take leadership of the local national church and over the whole Christian church.
Definitely this! It's been literal eras since the Andals and it's still unchanged and unchallenged? Lazy septons! Lazy!
Some fans have questioned why didn't the Dornish branch of the Faith break away or declare autonomy when the Targaryens of the Iron Throne asserted their authority over the Faith and modified the official theology by adding the Doctrine of Exceptionalism.
I am firmly among those some. Dorne was literally independent and in opposition, often violent, to the IT for generations after the Conquest, it should've separated from the Starry Sept's authority already then, if not even before that cause it is canon that Dorne was in opposition to everyone past the mountains regardless of dragons, so naturally it should've had it's own faith authority.
There are ways I think to make the Faith of the Seven more interesting even without introducing a Protestant Reformation analogue like some Fanfictions do. Perhaps there could be a movement or an influential figure that tries to pound on the idea of one god and not seven gods into the minds of the faithful. Perhaps some start describing the deity of the Faith as the "One who are Seven" instead of the usual "Seven who are One" formula in their prayers. Perhaps there could be ethnic issues between Andal and non-Andal believers in the Seven because the Faith of the Seven is basically an Andal ethnic religion even if some non-Andals have converted to out of convenience unlike Christianity or Islam which are universal religions.
Excellent points that all should've been a part of canon lore from the inception tbh. For such an allegedly huge part of everyday life faith is indeed like communism in the dying years of USSR. I wonder if the smallfolk make jokes around their heartfires about the High Septon like the soviets did about Brezhnev and Co (I bet they do and I would really like to hear them).
To be fair, most modern writers would have trouble depicting the religious mindset of medieval folks, GRRM is just too cynical to even try. GRRM has openly admitted to not being able to understand why some people believe in their religions so strongly that they are willing to kill or die for it.
True. Religion is a very important, but horrendously convoluted topic, so I kinda understand why authors try to not get it involved as much as possible, but at the same time I do kinda frown when they do incorporate it in a half-arsed way. With this kind of stuff it's go all in or don't go at all, at least for me. And while I too don't understand people that go that way for their religion, I think that it is a duty of a writer to try to understand what he's writing about. Even if that means going so deep as to maybe understand the suicide bombers or Torquemada and f(r)iends.

By the way, @Bored Student1414, I want to use this occasion to tell you personally that I truly admire your way of comments (seen your lengty analysis on @streaker77's awesome work) and the depths you go in them. It is absolutely astonishing sometimes and I just wanted you to know that.

I loved the bear.
I now do too. He was a welcomed surprise that is now embedded in my "persons of interest" list.
Are there any religious wars in this mod?
Not really. Some CB's are tied to religions or cultures, like the slave raids or reavings and such, but those are not really religious wars in the true meaning of the word. I think there is a possibility for some crusade-ish things with high religious authority, but tbh I never experiences them and will have to dig deeper.

Thank you all for your continued interest and your comments, it is always a delight to see that little red notification above the bell and finding some kind words and food for thought! Next one is again almost completely lacks the in-game footage and the one that it has is... well... I did incorporate the new faces, so I hope it's not that unsettling of a discrepancy and won't cause any uncanny valley, the night is dark and full of terror as it is.

Reactions:
Religion: God is Red, and Terrible, and Red

God is Red, and Terrible, and Red​

u4nEPcZP19mWsXKolwP-Y1Pwxmqe2Vm69KWh1D36-et0kZ7DSSNwF4-6KvRXHB4mXPOifeAUR_PtxwE5WssJ5F9rsWK2MCHkblL-G5oKw_zdzgMDZjuBcXWQiMajYySqhnM_0w_uFC9xFhH3CiPLwm4

(found on the internet; thanks to @filcat it is recognized as a polished rendering of a scene showing the symbol-statue in the series - probably of season 5, episode 9, The Dance of Dragons, scene inside the House of Black and White)​

R'hllor, also known as the Lord of Light, the Heart of Fire, and the God of Flame and Shadow, has a very small following in the Seven Kingdoms, where he is more commonly known as the Red God. The religion of the Lord of Light is found primarily in Essos.

Based on a dualistic view of the world, R'hllor, the god of light, heat, and life, is eternally at war against the Great Other, also known as the Lord of Darkness, the Soul of Ice, and the God of Night and Terror, he is the god of darkness, cold, and death. They are locked in an eternal struggle over the fate of the world; a struggle that, according the ancient prophecies from the books of Asshai, will only end when Azor Ahai, the messianic figure, returns wielding a flaming sword called Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and raises dragons from stone. It is unknown if Azor Ahai is connected with the Westerosi legend of the last hero, who lived during the Long Night and helped to defeat the Others.

sqPKwNOyRPXVv3nq70nfC1RK1omgG03m5moHKQG92VwqSjwDxwpmNyVqdEhzdMSRsheoqhveELx6A7CfM-09HsofrQUeCCqMIihnq7I-uaoeng9wf4tw9UyIaluZPvi8N6xmPT4fT35XZ3b3cMoptYQ

Azor Ahai thrusts a sword into the heart of his wife Nissa Nissa to create Lightbringer by Tim Durning

The red priests of R'hllor associate fire with life. His symbol is a fiery heart. His followers see shadows as creations of the Lord of Light, who are the servants of light and the children of fire. According to the priestess Melisandre, the Lord of Light cherishes innocent and beautiful people and items, making them the most precious sacrifice.

R'hllor is worshipped in Asshai and red temples can be found in most of the Great Cities and their periphery. The Temple of the Lord of Light in Volantis is exceptionally large, said to be the greatest in all the world. It is about three times the size of the Great Sept of Baelor in King's Landing. Prior to the construction of the temple, the site was a great plaza in the half of the city east of the Rhoyne, near the Black Wall, although the exact date of its construction is not known. The temple is an enormity of pillars, steps, buttresses, bridges, domes, and towers flowing into one another as if they had all been chiselled from one colossal rock. It looms high like Aegon's High Hill. A hundred hues of red, yellow, gold, and orange meet and meld in the temple walls, dissolving one into the other like clouds at sunset.

The temple is protected by a private army of formerly enslaved soldiers known as the Fiery Hand. The Fiery Hand contains a thousand soldiers, never more and never less. They wear ornate armour over their orange robes, and wield spears with points shaped as writhing flames. As per the custom of Volantis, they had flames tattooed across their cheeks. Even after the practice of slavery had been abolished, the Fiery zealots still tattoo their faces as part of tradition.

Before the Liberation of Volantis, all those who served there were slaves bought as children and trained to serve as slaves of R'hllor, temple prostitutes, priests or warriors. Now that the buying or selling of people is a capital offence, children can be only freely given to temples to be raised into the priesthood, and many families, especially the poor ones, still gladly do so since the faith of R'hllor's influence is widespread among the Great Cities.

Red priests, who may be male or female, are the clergy of the religion of R'hllor, called so because of the loose, crimson robes they wear. The red priests of the Volantene temple still maintain the tradition to have flames tattooed across their cheeks even though they are slaves no more. Many worshippers in Volantis pin scraps of red cloth to their sleeves or tie them around their brow. Red priests and worshippers from other places never had such practices and continue to do so.

The High Priest of R'hllor in Volantis claims dominion over all other priests and holds the titles Flame of Truth, Light of Wisdom, First Servant of the Lord of Light, and Slave of R'hllor. When the dragons came to Volantis, High Priestess Zoronna presided over the capitulation of the Great Temple, trembling like a leaf before the great beasts and their riders. To her delight she was then left to her own devices and spent the last of her years in her study, often neglecting her priestly duties in favour of her own scholarly pursuits. After Zoronna’s death the current High Priest Parquello Kirines was elevated to her former position. Under his leadership the authority of the High Priest of Volantis was confirmed to be of (almost) equal footing as that of the High Septon (much to the displeasure of the latter).

pRcWak24Hk3EzY7xMalw38kwCTbQI6PC7bpSq_W9XSAsvdub5gpD3Jreoi8DWHMAXa016IQtwALx1nbYJmcbRi1An1hOavd7eLbEvrIBVLdtdv1_fWH7YBjOpIdnrpCNVvJrnCJ_GR1sEFql-UTyCwU

Despite the massive following in the eastern lands of the Realm, the Red God is not particularly well known and almost utterly not worshipped in Westeros. Apart from the Red Woman of the Red Keep, the only other red priestess in the west is Shierle the Wicked of Riverspring who serves House Sarwyck.

H-axE6uAUEVY6aQzeLeourK73Wu8V_wzxowJSBJMXYkdYQDf7glyN40ikZsM31LeHfSJ66c8No5UGpa-XYpkIbOJvxLrjhAx6sltSckdAiZnTRdvZ4KFbQWqlriePPv1sGESbODg7TauLi9dHfnsX68

Customs​

Followers of R'hllor pray before a nightfire, thanking R'hllor for ending the day, while beseeching him to bring the dawn and banish the darkness. The nightfires are lit at sunset, and the prayers continue for more than an hour afterwards. Fires are also lit each morning at first light, where the red priests welcome the sun. Other priests might attend to their fires during the entire night.

During a wedding ceremony a red priest or priestess recites ceremonial prayers, which are answered by the wedding guests. The priest and groom await the bride by a ditchfire. The bride is escorted to the priest, who first asks the bride to identify herself, and next asks who comes to claim the bride. Both bride and groom are asked whether they will share their fire with their spouse-to-be, to warm them "when the night is dark and full of terrors". Bride and groom are to leap over the ditchfire together, to emerge as one. Following this, the groom removes the maiden's cloak and places the bride's cloak around the bride's shoulders. Following the ceremony is the wedding feast.

Priests of R'hllor believe that "life is warmth, and warmth is fire, and fire is God's and God's alone." When a follower of the Lord of Light dies, he is said to have "ascended to the Hall of Light, to sit beside the Lord". The death rite administered by priests to the deceased is known as the last kiss. The priest fills his mouth with fire and breaths the flames inside the deceased person, down his throat to his lungs, heart, and soul, as they believe that fire cleanses and is a bright gift. All red priests are required to perform the rite. Some followers of the Red God however claim that this kiss can actually bring the dead back to life and refer to it not as the last kiss, but as the kiss of life.

The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors​

Red priests are trained to see visions in the flames of their nightfires. These visions could be about the past, the future, or things happening far away from the location of the priest. Visions cannot always be seen in the flames, however, and even though they believe their visions are never wrong, it is not always easy to see the vision. It takes years of training to see the shapes beyond the flames, and even longer to learn to distinguish visions about the past from visions about a certain future and a possible future. Even after such long training, it remains difficult, and priests might still err in their interpretation; many priests have been brought down by such incorrect interpretations.

R'hllor however is also said to give his priests the power to see through falsehoods, as "the Other's servants oft hide black hearts in gaudy light", so apparently the only place they can actually be wrong about something is while interpreting their own god’s messages in the fire.

The priestess Melisandre, the Red Priestess of the Red Keep and paramour of the crown-prince’s son, Prince Aegon, allegedly does not feel the need to eat food, believing that R'hllor provides her with all the nourishment she needs.

According to her, glamors are given by the Lord of Light to his servants for them to use, but sorcerers usually need to study for years before they are able to create a glamour. Apparently, glamour is a magical illusion that makes the object of the magic appear differently to observers, although the object does not actually change its shape. Glamors are strongest when built on a particular object or body part belonging to the person which the illusion will resemble. The object of the glamour wears an item to maintain the spell, such as a moonstone or a ruby, just like the one in a choker that the Red Lady always wears tight around her throat. Huh.

Red Lady Melisandre also claims that shadows are servants of light and children of fire. Your humble author sincerely hopes she means just the ordinary shadows and not the mythical shadow assassins, also sometimes called “shadow babies”, either because they supposedly look like a shadow of a baby, or because they are supposedly created through an act of sexual intercourse by the shadowbinders of Asshai.

Surely it is just a coincidence that our Lady of Fire claims to have come exactly from that place. Surely.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
(found on the internet, if anyone knows the author please contact me)
As it seems, and as far as memory goes, it is a polished rendering of a scene showing the symbol-statue in the series - probably of season 5, episode 9, The Dance of Dragons, scene inside the House of Black and White.

Reactions:
Good ol Red Raloo and his wacky priests and priestesses. The High Septon definitely would be pissed that the High Priest has the same privileges as him, good think they're both separated by the Narrow Sea, or else a nasty religious war could occur if ever Dany or her heir croak.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Under his leadership the authority of the High Priest of Volantis was confirmed to be of (almost) equal footing as that of the High Septon (much to the displeasure of the latter).
Thats a big step, is Dany faith of the seven?

nd even longer to learn to distinguish visions about the past from visions about a certain future and a possible future.
Hadnt really thought of that.

but sorcerers usually need to study for years before they are able to create a glamour. Apparently, glamour is a magical illusion that makes the object of the magic appear differently to observers,
Ill be honest, the whole glamour thing in the books with Mance Rayder and Rattleshirt was one of the few areas of the books I didnt really like and thought it was a little uneeded and complex, imo it would have been better just to kill Mance Rayder.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wait, Melisandre is Aegon's paramour? Which Aegon is this? Also, wouldn't she reside in Westeros, though? Isn't Thoros still in Westeros? Why weren't they mentioned as Red Priests in Westeros? Are they not preaching (that makes sense for Thoros but not really for Mel)?

The Faith of R'hollor is weird because it seems to have a lot of truth to it (as do the Old Gods), but the Faith of the Seven... doesn't. I wonder why (particularly since GRRM has said that no faith is actually true).

Is Melisandre using that ruby to project glamor? It certainly sounded like it.

The Red Priests's faith is kind of like some weird cross between Christianity (coming/return of a savior at the end of time, refusal to tolerate other gods) and Zoroastrianism (duality of light versus darkness, fire temples). Given that the Faith of the Seven is supposed to be the Christianity expy, one wonders why (or maybe it's because the Christian elements also exist in popular culture now)?

• 1Like
Reactions:
it is a polished rendering of a scene showing the symbol-statue in the series - probably of season 5, episode 9, The Dance of Dragons, scene inside the House of Black and White
Thank you! I was thinking that I kinda must've seen it womewhere, but for the life of me I couldn't pin where and when.

a nasty religious war could occur if ever Dany or her heir croak
If (or rather when) Dany and her son Rhaegar die, Rhaegar's son Aegon will come to power, and his paramour is the Red Woman... so that was still very much can happen.

Thats a big step, is Dany faith of the seven?
Yes, but since she now has most of the Free Cities under her rule too she needs to recognise all of her people and not only the westerosi part.
Hadnt really thought of that.
I vaguely remember Mel being somewhat distressed about her lack of clarity in visions and thinking about this predicament, but I might as well imagining things cause I haven't done a re-read in decades.
the whole glamour thing in the books with Mance Rayder and Rattleshirt was one of the few areas of the books I didnt really like and thought it was a little uneeded and complex, imo it would have been better just to kill Mance Rayder
I tend to agree tbh, I didn't really see the point of this whole (rather convoluted) affair only to have Mance sent to Ramsay and (allegedly) being caught. I thought that there were easier ways to introduce an idea of glamour as well.

Wait, Melisandre is Aegon's paramour? Which Aegon is this?
Dany's grandson, the heir of her heir :)
Also, wouldn't she reside in Westeros, though? Isn't Thoros still in Westeros? Why weren't they mentioned as Red Priests in Westeros? Are they not preaching (that makes sense for Thoros but not really for Mel)?
Thoros is long dead unfortunately, I think he died from alcoholism quite soon after the start.
Mel does indeed reside in Westeros, she's actually in the Red Keep with Aegon and she serves as the Mistress of Whispers for Dany. She is free to preach, although she can't really do much withouth the ruling pair's leave and they are not particularly fond of mass burnings, so she's left to be content with being The Red Priestess of Westeros and is mentioned in the Chapter:
Apart from the Red Woman of the Red Keep, the only other red priestess in the west is Shierle the Wicked of Riverspring who serves House Sarwyck.
The Faith of R'hollor is weird because it seems to have a lot of truth to it (as do the Old Gods), but the Faith of the Seven... doesn't. I wonder why (particularly since GRRM has said that no faith is actually true).
I think the Reds and the Olds are actually the same thing, the magic, but the people seeing it interpreted it in their own ways and developed their own faiths around it or something like that.
Is Melisandre using that ruby to project glamor? It certainly sounded like it.
It is heavily implied so in the books, so I'm going with yes for my headcanon for this playthrough, but only me, her and maybe Dany know that in-game. Probably even Aegon doesn't know.
Given that the Faith of the Seven is supposed to be the Christianity expy, one wonders why (or maybe it's because the Christian elements also exist in popular culture now)?
A wild guess would be that GRRM wanted to throw in some kind of thee-way conflict of faiths with two of them actually being the same thing but fiercely opposed to one another and the third being in opposition to both as well, but also much more prominent while also based entirely on falsehood and lies. For what reason other that for manure and jollies he might need such complex though...

Reactions:
Religion: Mother Rhoyne

Mother Rhoyne​

Mother Rhoyne, the chief goddess of the Rhoynar, is worshipped by the orphans of the Greenblood who brought it back home to Rhoyne.

The Rhoyne originates from the confluence of two of its tributaries, the Upper Rhoyne and the Little Rhoyne, southeast of the ruins of Ghoyan Drohe in northwestern Essos. Its course runs southeast and meets the Noyne just north of Ny Sar. The Rhoyne continues southeast to Dagger Lake, where it is joined by the Qhoyne. The side rivers that flow into the river Rhoyne are called her daughters, but it is unclear if they are also considered gods.

The Old Man of the River is a lesser god of the Rhoynar and the son of Mother Rhoyne, and his form is that of a giant turtle. The giant turtles are therefore known as the Old Men of the River and are held as Mother’s consorts.

The Crab King is another lesser god of the Rhoynar.

According to Rhoynar beliefs, the Old Man of the River fought the Crab King for dominion of all life below the flowing water until the Long Night when a hero convinced them to put aside their bickering and join together to sing a secret song that brought back the day.

Legend has said that the Rhoynar had their own magic — a water magic very different from the sorceries of Valyria, which were woven of blood and fire.

It was said the Mother Rhoyne herself whispered to her children of every threat, that the Rhoynar princes wielded strange, uncanny powers, and that their cities were protected by "watery walls" that would rise to drown any foe.

During the First Turtle War, the Rhoynar emerged victorious over the Valyrians when their water wizards called up the power of the river Rhoyne and proceeded to flood Volon Therys. If the tales can be believed, half the city was washed away.

In the Second Spice War, the Rhoynish Prince Garin raised an army a quarter of a million strong to fight the Volantenes and Valyrians. So long as the army remained beside Mother Rhoyne, the prince declared, they need not fear the dragons of Valyria; their own water wizards would protect them from their fires. In the battle at Volon Therys, the water wizards raised enormous waterspouts against the Valyrians' three dragons, and the Rhoyne flooded the city. The Valyrians returned with 300 dragons, destroyed the Rhoynar army, captured Garin, and destroyed his city, Chroyane. The captive prince called down a curse, and that night the Rhoyne flooded out of season, with greater force than known in living memory. A fog fell upon the city, and the Valyrian conquerors began to die of greyscale. To this day, the ruins of Chroyane and that part of the river Rhoyne are known as the Sorrows, where the stone men live and travellers can still be infected with greyscale.

Princess Nymeria has been called a "witch queen", though it is not true that she practised water magic herself. But when she brought her people to Dorne, it is said that the Rhoynish water witches knew secret spells that made dry streams flow again and deserts bloom.

As an interesting sidenote, the children of the forest may have had their own form of water magic. According to legend, their greenseers called upon the hammer of the waters twice in attempts to stop the First Men from invading Westeros. The first use of the hammer of the waters resulted in the shattering of the Arm of Dorne into the Stepstones and the Broken Arm. The second attempt, to break Westeros in two, only resulted in the flooding of the Neck.

Many of the Rhoynar, including some of the returned Orphans, claim to have this ancient knowledge, but they refuse to elaborate on it or demonstrate it to the curious outsiders without a serious enough reason such as war or peril, and after the Liberation of Volantis the region had fortunately been lacking in that regard.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I think the religion of R'hllor is the perfect religion for the cynical Westerosi and that it could supplant the Faith of the Seven in a few generations in the future in a similar way to the traditional model on how Christianity supplanted traditional paganism in the Roman Empire. Most nominally Faith of the Seven following nobles don't take the religion seriously, mock people who do, and the Faith does not seem to provide spiritual nourishment for the nobles of Westeros. The religion of R'hllor seems to have real tangible benefits and magics, R'hllor seems more reliable than the Seven in answering prayers, and best of all for the cynical Westerosi, you don't have to sincerely believe in R'hllor to get benefits from him. The human sacrifice is a bit offputting but the average Westerosi noble cares little for commoners or people outside their family in general and is seemingly always ready to sacrifice thousands in wars to avenge slights against their house. Against that, what is a few people burned to get the favor of the Red God?

The traditional model of the Christianization of the Romans postulated by Edward Gibbon is that the traditional Roman religion had been in rapid decline, following Christianity provided certain benefits for the leaders and that once the leaders of society such as the Emperors converted, state power was used to forcibly convert the rest of society. This model has been disputed by more modern historians who argue that Roman paganism survived the fourth century, Christianity became established in the third century, the spread of Christianity was more in a grassroots matter, and imperial legislation had only limited effect before the era of the eastern emperor Justinian I but ASOIAF often follows older understandings and models of history. The Faith of the Seven seems to be in serious decline, the religion of R'hllor has useful magical benefits to it, and a future monarch following R'hllor on the Iron Throne could use state power and dragons to push the religion on the rest of society.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I wonder if any water mages remain? Perhaps in Dorne?

Didn't notice the Mel reference. Sorry!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is Planky Town still a haven for the Rhoynar in Westeros?

Interesting stuff, especially the background information on the Sorrows which I think shows up in the books.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I think the religion of R'hllor is the perfect religion for the cynical Westerosi and that it could supplant the Faith of the Seven in a few generations in the future in a similar way to the traditional model on how Christianity supplanted traditional paganism in the Roman Empire.
If Thaiga here has More Bloodlines 3 installed (which is probably tricky as I hear that the mod is still in need of fixing), I can see the Westerosi version of Rh'llor, Ralooism take root as if I can recall, the religion in dev diary required no human sacrifice. We'll see how this goes once Dany's time is over. The presence of the Red Woman is probably gonna be a factor for sure.

Reactions: