• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Globalbranch

Recruit
59 Badges
Jun 1, 2023
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
I have followed all the steps customer support had me and am still having issues
I removed my avast antivirus, did a fresh uninstall and reinstall of ck3 and the launcher. All files are local. I can access ck3.exe manually but the launcher is broken and won't save any of my data saying it doesn't have access.
Through steam the launcher when started asks me every time to agree to the license agreement and then say it has no access to the directory with game data. Then asks if i can access the launcher in my folder which I can I have given access to the launcher and ck3.exe through windows defender.
It asks for launcher-v2.sqlite but that dosent appear in my folders just other launcher
It also says I don't have access to dlc.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Ah, that is usually an antivirus app getting in the way. What antivirus app do you use? You need to make sure all these apps are in its exceptions lists:

ck3.exe (in the Steam CK3-binaries folder)
dowser.exe (in the Steam CK3-launcher folder)
C:/users/{userName}/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2.2023.7.1/paradox launcher.exe
C:/users/{userName}/AppData/Local/Programs/Paradox Interactive/bootstrapper-v2.exe

IF that doesn't help, also set each of those .exe files (EXCEPT ck3.exe !) to run as the Windows Admin user.

Then the game should run from Steam/our launcher, and enable all the DLCs.

IF that still doesn't help, Right click on Documents in the left column of File Explorer, just under This PC there. Go to properties, location. What does it say in there?

Last edited:
Hi there Andrew thanks for the reply.
I was able to add dowser and ck3 from the team folder into my windows defender. I have deleted my previous antivirus that was avast so it's only windows defender now.
When I went to locate the app data local programs paradox interactive folder there were no launchers to locate only a log text. I have uninstalled and reinstalled ck3 to see if anything would change and it hasn't.
I have two hard drives C. being my ssd drive and my D. hard drive which contains ck3.exe is it a case of them needing to be in the same hard drive? There wasn't any issue with the set up a month ago but after the updates it became broken.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I was able to add dowser and ck3 from the team folder into my windows defende
Make sure it was in the Ransomware function in WD, NOT the firewall function, which is not involved in this issue.

When I went to locate the app data local programs paradox interactive folder there were no launchers to locate only a log text.
I think you must have gone to the wrong place. I assume you do at least see the launcher, if so it must be there somewhere. The default location is where I described, but you may have chosen somewhere else. To see the AppData folder you'll need to enable View Hidden Items in File Explorer.

It doesn't matter what hard drive they are on. Mine are also on C: and D: and work fine.

Right click on Documents in the left column of File Explorer, just under This PC there. Go to properties, location. What does it say in there?

dowser and ck3 are included in ransomware protection exception
I was able to access app data folder all folders are visible the only things i have on my app data are the folders for launcher v2 and launcher path but there are no actual launcher exes in the C:\Users\Jesse's Gaming Comp\AppData\Local\Paradox Interactive i have file explorer set to always show me hidden folders.
the documents folder on my left tab is set to my d drive when i click on c drive document it says access denied. i have full access to d drive.

• 1Like
Reactions:
when i click on c drive document it says access denied
That' a pretty serious problem! I'm really not sure what could be causing that on your machine. But you say you can get to other parts of C: okay, such as AppData? Weird!

What if you make a new Windows user on this machine and log into it with that - any better?