War Effort - Operation Alpha Open Beta [1.12.13]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PDXKatten

Community Manager
Administrator
Paradox Staff
QA
Oct 14, 2022
Hello there, generals! May has arrived, and with it comes a new open beta, this time for Operation Alpha!

This patch, as usual, contains balance changes, bug fixes, and something for you awesome modders out there. However, something we have also been working on for a while is language support for Simplified Chinese. This means that all our new Developer Diaries will be translated for Chinese, Japanese, and Russian. And this is just the beginning of what we have planned for our non-English speaking generals!

##################################
# Localization
  • Added Simplified Chinese language support.
# Balance
  • Lord Halifax now has two leader traits and reduces the requirements with the British Raj when forming the Imperial Federation/Commonwealth of Nations.
  • If Lord Halifax is used to annex the British Raj as part of the Imperial Federation, India will suffer increased resistance.
  • Fixed non-MTG ships having incorrect base speeds.
  • Increased biggest speed and agility factor diff by 1.0, increasing the maximum effect of these stats on air combat.
# UI
  • Available medals are now present on army screens for Divisional Commanders.
  • Added a new Hearts of Iron IV YouTube channel link to menus.
# Modding
  • Added effect remove_civil_war_target.
#Bugfix
  • Fixed an issue in the Pressure Government event chain for Italy and the Soviets in which the feedback event communicating the target's choice was sent to the target instead of the sender.
  • Playing as a released country is now persistent over saves in ironman.
  • Observers now retain the observed country on hotjoin and resynch.
  • Fixed License Production Access not being restored when reloading a save file.
  • Democratic Italy can now send volunteers to Spain after completing the Aid for Spanish Republic focus.
  • Fix for Belgium Congo sometimes flipping to Germany after Belgium capitulates.
And yes, there is no War Effort map update because that will come with the release of this patch! Now, have a lovely weekend, everyone, and we will see you again next week with something even more fun to talk about!

Last edited:
  • 43Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Well, this is it. Time to wait for this patch to be live first before updating my mod, haha....
  • Lord Halifax now has two leader traits and reduces the requirements with the British Raj when forming the Imperial Federation/Commonwealth of Nations.
  • If Lord Halifax is used to annex the British Raj as part of the Imperial Federation, India will suffer increased resistance.
Cool
  • Playing as a released country is now persistent over saves in ironman.
  • Fix for Belgium Congo sometimes flipping to Germany after Belgium capitulates.
Lifesavers!
And yes, there is no map update because that will come with the release of this patch!
Wait, what map updates?

• 2Like
Reactions:
please make a little upgrade in production UI, filter tanks and planes by role, the fist tab by inf or mot/cars. This small change could be impresive help and make happy many people!

• 5Like
Reactions:
Finally! I have some requests!

1) When returning territory could we have a choice about who it goes back to? I've often had to hold onto bits of land solely because there was no option to return it to a government that was actually friendly to me. Perhaps there are such options but I find they are not presented very well and tend to get lost in the mountain of listings.

• 7Like
Reactions:
2) While it may be considered a bit of an edge case and I also understand that the US does have relevant focuses int its tree there are times when Canada gets puppeted or annexed by a government that would nominally be considered hostile to the US when there is no actual invasion of Canada to warrant the siezure of such territory and its difficult to believe that the US would just sit on its hands and allow enemy forces to build up just north of the border. Self-preservation alone would prompt some action to be taken before a potential enemy could secure Canada for themselves. The US should have a decision it can take to move to protect themselves and Canada should such an event happen [and I beleive there were real-life plans to do that very thing with or without the approval of the UK].

• 6Like
Reactions:
3) Some of us were wondering if the UK could have a better armor template perhaps if the necessary xp for adding a column of motorized to the start [tank brigade] template to make it into a division were added to the British armor focus or just grant us a better template with that focus.

• 2Like
Reactions:
thank for official Simplified Chinese language support
however, Chinese fonts are poorly displayed in small font sizes
Screenshots at 1920x1080 resolution
1683295585024.png
1683296009378.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I had a strange event with Italy. It was late-war [45 or 46] so I thought it strange that the Mussolini government would still be so fragile yet the way the event played out was more in line with how the communist civil war starts [as I recalled from playing that option]. I'd invaded down from the north and had overrun Italy south to just north of Rome then suddenly the event fired and most of the territory I'd taken and that had been under my control flipped back to the RSI while the [now mine] puppet Italy had formed in the NW with some 51 units. Most of my forces were teleported to Berlin.

I haven't played too many games vs an AI Italy since BBA but my understanding so far is that when Mussolini is deposed and a civil war begins in Italy the RSI keeps the land it still has while the friendly Italian faction forms on territory held by the forces that had been fighting Italy. Before I file a bug report I'd like to know if this is something that others have noted or did I just get treated to a rare moment of weirdness.
20230429145714_1.jpg

Attachments

• Ironman German Reich 1.zip
    8,2 MB · Views: 0
Reactions:
4) Is there a way to have puppets and Allies have a much longer period in between join-war requests? It gets tedious when one has many puppets and they keep spamming me with join-war requests to the extent that I have to right click on several dozen such icons just to be able to make out the tabs for the technology folders.

• 3Like
Reactions:
1683296236995.png

200 torp dd's (3 torp launchers each, equal IC) CL's have 1 torp on
The BB's should be sunk, i have also run this test with the british having fully mined the seazone, the BB's still stackwipe
pls buff torps kek

• 2Like
Reactions:
Good stuff.

thank for official Simplified Chinese language support
however, Chinese fonts are poorly displayed in small font sizes

For people having trouble figuring out what he means, I believe he's referring to Schleswig-Holstein on the map as well as the tooltip text for Hitler in the other image.

My friend, I don't think that there will be anyone who wants to play your chinese fonts. My god they are super ugly!

I don't speak Chinese, only Japanese, so take this with a grain of salt but I think the most egregious part of the screenshot is that the map texts are rotated (as they would be with a Western script), when they should instead use vertical text. So the texts for United Kingdom (something-合王国), Wales, the northern Rhineland state, the one south of Alsace-Lorraine, and many others definitely should be typeset vertically.

(Rotated text is really difficult to read. For me at least.)

(I mentioned the bizarre localisation of the date (1 1月 1936) earlier in some other thread. Correctly localised date: 1936年1月1日)

Localisation is hard.

• 3Like
Reactions: