CK3 will not load, no mods, exit null code, more within...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Nitrotic

Private
15 Badges
Dec 14, 2022
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
Hi guys. I literally don't know what to do anymore. I am deeply regretting my purchase of this game and its DLC, both mechanical and flavour. And now I get the exit null code error whenever I try to start the game through the launcher. Ok, I reinstall my VC Redistributables, doesn't work. I fully uninstall, delete all things related to CK3, install it again and verify the files. All good, launcher spits out the same error. I add CK3.exe to the exceptions list on my antivirus software, I can get all the way to choosing a ruler, no mods incidentally, but when I hit start, game eventually craps out with a (0xc000012d). I have been trying to follow every bit of advice I have found online to fix this, but a lot of the information is contrary to other information, not realistically feasible, or outside the scope of my problem.
If somebody has a complete list of solutions in one big thread, or something equally useful, I would greatly appreciate it. The game was working one moment, crashed, and then refused to work again, no matter my efforts. I am willing to post any information that isn't personal to solve this problem. I paid a lot of good money for this game, and intended to buy every DLC they released, because I'm obsessive that way, but if I can't play the damn thing, then I feel that this is wasted money.
Long story short, can anybody help me through this problem? I don't want to get pisssy and start a public thing all over the internet (I don't have the interest or clout), but this seems unfair.

What happens if you run ck3.exe directly from File Explorer? Do you get any clearer Windows error then?

If not: Right click on ck3.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.

Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode, Vsync off, cap refresh rate at 60.

If that doesn't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log , exceptions.log

What happens if you run ck3.exe directly from File Explorer? Do you get any clearer Windows error then?

If not: Right click on ck3.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.

Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode, Vsync off, cap refresh rate at 60.

If that doesn't help:
DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/settings.txt and pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log , exceptions.log
What happens when I try running the CK3 exe directly is what I described. The launcher throws up the exit null code, playing it through the exe leads to the "Pick a ruler" screen, then (0xc000012d) from Windows. Attached is my Dx DIAG file.

Attachments

• DxDiag1.txt
    111,9 KB · Views: 0
What happens when I try running the CK3 exe directly is what I described. The launcher throws up the exit null code,
Running ck3.exe does not involve the launcher at all. Are you perhaps using a desktop shortcut or something? The idea is that you double click on ck3.exe directly in File Explorer. It is in Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3/binaries/

That dxdiag shows no crashes in ck3.exe , but AppHangs instead.

Running ck3.exe does not involve the launcher at all. Are you perhaps using a desktop shortcut or something? The idea is that you double click on ck3.exe directly in File Explorer. It is in Steam/SteamApps/common/CK3/binaries/

That dxdiag shows no crashes in ck3.exe , but AppHangs instead.

I am aware that running the launcher and the exe are two different things. I was describing two separate events. I don't have a settings.txt, but I will attach the pdx_settings.txt, as well as the logs. I do not have an exceptions.log, and error.log is empty.

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    4,6 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    643 bytes · Views: 0
Sorry for pasting in the wrong game! Running too many issues at once :D

Unfortunately Windows error 0xc000012d doesn't have a clear cause, what what I can find online.

That system.log shows the game thinks you have WIndows 8.1, so I guess you've set ck3.exe to Win8.1 compatibility mode? Right click on ck3.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.

Your video setup is a bit unusual - that dxdiag shows your monitor's native refresh rate is 40, yet Windows is running at 165! Vsnc is still enabled in the game, yet its refresh rate cap is set to 40. What fps do you see in the game? Not that these issues would normally cause the problem you are seeing.

What if you make a new Windows user on this machine and log into it with that? Run ck3.exe directly again, do you still get the 0xc000012d error?

If so please try this Windows repair tool

Well, i'll be honest with you, I am kinda a newb when it comes to PC specs. I'm running what was considered a respectable laptop rig... about 5 years ago. If there's room to fix stuff up, I'll take the advice, but in the mean time, I'll try out what you've suggested and get back to you.

That means that either there is some app or utility running under the original user ID causing this to the game, or that profile is corrupted.

When running as that ID disable all startup utilities and apps you can then reboot. Does the problem still happen?