Dev Diaries You Still Want To See

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I’d like at least part of a dev diary to address UI customization; because of my disabilities, I need to know if I can bind unit movement to the arrow and rotate keys on my pc. (If I can do that, then I think I can manage everything else, and I’ll probably give in to temptation and pre-order.)

Like many others here, I’d love a DD on a map editor/ modding. :cool:

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I don't think they've gone much into the tech tree and selection of new tomes, past tier I. But I also strongly agree with everyone who's saying "pantheon," because I still don't understand that, at all.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I would personally like to know more about province improvements. How many can you have of the same type in a city? 1 per province or 1 per city?
Can all province improvements be buildt in any province or are there limitations to where each type can be buildt?

• 2Like
Reactions:
I would personally like to know more about province improvements. How many can you have of the same type in a city? 1 per province or 1 per city?
Can all province improvements be buildt in any province or are there limitations to where each type can be buildt?
I'm sorry but we covered this in the Dev Diary? You need multiple of the same Province Improvement in order to meet the Boosts & Requirements on several of the CIty Structures. We also show a screenshot of a province that can build either a Farm, Forester, Conduit or Research Post. From the tooltip you can gather the province has Grasslands, Forest and a Mana Node which allows for these.

I don't think they've gone much into the tech tree and selection of new tomes, past tier I. But I also strongly agree with everyone who's saying "pantheon," because I still don't understand that, at all.
haha, what do you not understand about the Pantheon?

• 3Like
Reactions:
So what are the rules for province improvements such as mob camp, herbalist , runecarver's camp etc. Can you build them 1 per province or 1 per city?
The Special Province Improvements can only be build once per city

Reactions:
Looking at the video, I think there were graphical glitches from two transformations at once. (Sounds like wightborn is another race transformation.)
It seemed more likely it was about the transformations themselves listening to Jordi, but maybe.
My guess is that Wightborn and the Angel Transformation are both "major transformations" instead of minor ones, which any given entity is only supposed to have 1 of.

As for me, I'd also like to see an overview of Leaders/Heroes and their development.
Yes, this is good, educated guess about what is going on(in fact from the dwarves in the underworld vid we know that wightborn is a major transformation lookin at 45:46). However, this doesn't exactly alleviate concerns that I have. As in, Jordi seemingly didn't expect an undead angel to be what he got from the reanimation, so what did he expect? Was the result supposed to be just a dude with a hammer? Because I would find that immensely disappointing; why would he lose his sings by being reanimated? While this could be cleared up by less than a full-blown dev diary I do still think that consolidating the information that has been scattered until now would be a nice thing to see.

It seemed more likely it was about the transformations themselves listening to Jordi, but maybe.

Yes, this is good, educated guess about what is going on(in fact from the dwarves in the underworld vid we know that wightborn is a major transformation lookin at 45:46). However, this doesn't exactly alleviate concerns that I have. As in, Jordi seemingly didn't expect an undead angel to be what he got from the reanimation, so what did he expect? Was the result supposed to be just a dude with a hammer? Because I would find that immensely disappointing; why would he lose his sings by being reanimated? While this could be cleared up by less than a full-blown dev diary I do still think that consolidating the information that has been scattered until now would be a nice thing to see.

Yes, he just expected him to be a Wightborn version of himself and lose the Angelic traits because that's the way the game is meant to go with one major transformation at a time. As lame as it sounds, it would just be an insane amount of work to try and make all the major transformation combinations work together. And also, how many combinations do you allow? Unlimited? That exponentially increases the amount of work needed. It's just a limitation we have to live with.

• 1Like
Reactions:

I don’t think this is how it’s going to work, but if somehow you could get an already transformed hero and do another transformation, it would be cool of they mixed somehow, as this isn’t something you can technically do normally.

Seeing that angelic dwarf reanimated with skeleton wings or membrane-like bat wings would have been really cool, even if just cosmetic.

Reactions:
I very much want more info on the pantheon system.

It unlocks new traits and equipment, and our ascended gods can appear in later games in some capacity as allies or enemies. And we don’t know yet how that works.

That’s about all we know, and it’d be pretty disappointing if that’s all there is to it. (Among other things, I think that’d make it inferior to the Empire Mode it’s supposed to be the successor to.)

I want more info about combat, how units gain XP and reach higher ranks (the math behind it but also if it's capped like in Planetfall).

I hope we're still able to 'evolve' lesser tier units in more powerful ones on reaching gold medal. Nothing as rewarding as my recruit Vampire Spider Baby who turns into an Elite Vampire Spider Queen in Age of Wonders 3.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don’t remember if someone already said this, but I would also like to know more about the various ‘win conditions’ mentioned in one of the dev streams. I’m having fun drawing up a variety of factions to try out different things, and I’d enjoy seeing what goals I could pick for different factions.

• 2Like
Reactions:
haha, what do you not understand about the Pantheon?

I think currently the big unanswered question from the outside is how it compares to Galactic Empire mode in Planetfall. Based on what I've read, it's possible to see Pantheon as anything from a slightly more feature-rich version of the leader creation system from AoW3 to a slightly more lightweight version of the Galactic Empire, but there's a lot of room between those extremes for different implementation visions.

The Dev Diary I'm interested in is one discussing gameplay design and game pacing. What were the lessons learned from Planetfall? Which of Planetfall's innovations were deemed successes and which not? Which of Planetfall's successes were incorporated into AoW4 and which were deemed to be inappropriate for AoW4? From my perspective, Planetfall felt like a much faster-paced game to me than AoW 2 or 3 did, and I'm curious which pacing philosophy AoW4 is intended to inherit, and what the design thoughts are behind that decision.

• 1Like
Reactions: