Public transportation that should be in Cities: Skyline 2

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Boats can absolutely be public transport, especially the shorter routes. Here in Bergen, Norway, we have a line that goes from downtown to an island. Takes 15 minutes, not really that different from riding a bus
So a ferry?

When I said boats I was referring to the cruise ships.

Reactions:
That's kinda a US thing. Everywhere else in the world we have regular transport lines to take care of everything

I see...I am from the US...but I was thinking more about Simcity 4, which I recently started playing for the first time and thought the developers handled it better with the budget and radius.

CS 1 also added the school bus asset as well, so I hope to see them carry it over in CS 2.

Here in Bergen, Norway, we have a line that goes from downtown to an island. Takes 15 minutes, not really that different from riding a bus
I guess I didn't see that when I was there briefly in 2017. I did go on a fairly large ferry to Storebo or something like that.

In Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, there are passenger ferries that cross the harbour, and are integrated into the bus system. You can use a transfer from bus to ferry without paying again.

• 1Like
Reactions:
In Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, there are passenger ferries that cross the harbour, and are integrated into the bus system. You can use a transfer from bus to ferry without paying again.
Now that you mention it, this needs to be a Cities Skylines II policy.

Reactions:
Like these? (shamelessly stolen from City Planner Plays)

1678381325862.png

• 2Love
Reactions:
Imho the following transportation types must be in the base game by keeping the maps size and some existing achievements in mind:
  1. Cars of different types and sizes but this time used properly (up to four PAX and at least used by a family as a whole)
  2. Regular busses (including specific lane types)
  3. Taxis (including specific lane types and also with multiple seats and more than just one occupants)
  4. Trains (hopefully shared networks for the following kind of trains: high capacity metro with elevated, at grade and underground stations, regular commuter trains, long distance PAX trains (for outside connections), long distance freight trains (for outside connections), short distance freight trains (as we seem to get control over freight lines so shunters shall be a thing)
  5. Ships for tourism and cargo (larger than in C:S1 as being realistic in size on ocean side maps)
  6. Widebody airliner (which could also provide cargo in one go as known as "belly cargo" - this would allow to bring cargo into the city without the need of specified cargo aircraft. The airport buildings could include a cargo facility/warehouse
  7. Local transporters and long range trucks with warehouses
  8. Bicycles
Additions to the base game, not a must but really nice to have:
  1. Car subtypes like carsharing vehicles, electric vehicles (with additional parking spaces and/or lane types)
  2. Bus subtypes like intercity busses and school busses or airport busses (for hopefully modular airports)
  3. Taxi subtypes like wealth based limousine services, wheelchair transport services, minibus/airport service
  4. Further train subtypes like light rail and tram
  5. Ship subtypes like ferry barges, RoRo ships, river map based cargo barges and regular passenger ferries
  6. Aircraft subtypes for local usage (e.g. Twin Otter equivalent to connect islands)

Something for DLCs:
  1. Bikes and fun cars
  2. Tourist bus, amusement park transport vehicles
  3. Auto rickshaw, cycle rickshaw
  4. Maglev, high speed trains, "Hyperloop", monorail, cable cars (elevated, maybe even SF styled ones ;) )
  5. Water taxis
  6. General aviation aircraft, seaplanes, business jets, longhaul airliners, cargo aircraft, midrange aircraft (as per Airports DLC ;) )
  7. More variations of existing subtypes in length, looks and capacity (aimed for consoles)

• 6Like
Reactions:
Yes, trams in from the beginning! Personaly I do not care about tourist buses, blimps, monorail, and helicopters.

For ferries I suggest/hope we get the possibilty to connect roads with a ferry and that cars will be using them instead of sims only.

• 3Like
Reactions:
We need to have those little public e-scooters that cims can take from and drop off at designated parking areas.

The biggest change to public transportation needs to be eliminating POCKET CARS, which undermines all the public transportation in the game. If cims come to the game by public transportation, then they don't have cars. If they took public transportation within the city, they also can't just pull a car out of their ass and drive away, because they left it behind. They also need to be able to park somewhere, and pay for parking on certain streets.

This will give them reason to consider public transportation. This will also give us reason to think about how our tourists get around town.

• 1Like
Reactions:
We need to have those little public e-scooters that cims can take from and drop off at designated parking areas.
Only if we keep it true to life by decreasing health in the area (idiots running into peds or getting splattered because they rode out in front of an artic lorry), and a decrease in environment (scooters being strewn across the pavement and being dumped in nearby canals)

Reactions:
The biggest change to public transportation needs to be eliminating POCKET CARS, which undermines all the public transportation in the game. If cims come to the game by public transportation, then they don't have cars. If they took public transportation within the city, they also can't just pull a car out of their ass and drive away, because they left it behind. They also need to be able to park somewhere, and pay for parking on certain streets.

This will give them reason to consider public transportation. This will also give us reason to think about how our tourists get around town.
Agreed. Citizens who arrive by bus/train/plane/ship shouldn't have cars (unless they buy one at a dealership if that's an option).

• 3Like
Reactions:
Yeah they're very niche methods of transit.
That's how the devs described trolleybuses when they added them to the game.

Sharing system
Here, it can be bicycles, scooters, or even cars. It will be possible to set up special points for sharing around the city, or simply introduce a neighborhood policy.
I've always wanted this in the game. Maybe something like the effect the "Encourage bicycling" policy has on a city/district instead having a radius effect near plopped bike share stations, or bike racks. I like the rest of your idea too. So psyched about the possibilities!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Would definitely like car sharing services, micro-cars like they have in the Netherlands, rentable city bikes and e-scooters, and other clever traffic solutions. At least for downtown areas. I'd even be fine with car sharing vehicles working like the 'pocket cars' of CS1 mechanically. Give them limited capacity so only a limited number can spawn at a time, since a car sharing service only has so many vehicles.

• 2Like
Reactions:
could this actually be cs2 this whole time we been staring at forget the buildings look at the trees ,roundabout , vehicles, elevated train. The bus looks like from cs1 all the cars are different some us and european the texures look enhanced for a cs2 and road sign you can see says chirpy 2nd paradox plaza collossal something and the traffic lights all look like a cs2 game since the trailer said not actual gameplay and they were using unity engine its just looks and fits for a second game upgrade. To put these models together u have to use something like gameplay to have that background look.

Attachments

• 79EC5974-7675-4520-A193-0B5958CE9754.jpeg
    79EC5974-7675-4520-A193-0B5958CE9754.jpeg
    513,6 KB · Views: 0
- maglevs
- self-driving cars
- PRT (personal rapid transport)
- uber
- metro-tram hybrids (basically trams that overground share roads with other traffic and underground operate like metro)

• 2Like
Reactions:
My proposal is they gonna add simple trams in core, but will detach LRT(faster trams) and advanced Commuter transportation into a DLC (the better than stock one).
Funiculars and cable cars too, as part of some "High peaks DLC".

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Better eco options, higher capacity bendy and double deck e- busses or e-taxi, ride share (e cars if combustion engine ban is on). And some cutting edge tech like roads that generate power from solar and self driving transport for better traffic efficiency, ways to further reduce noise pollution like drone delivery so pops don’t leave home to shop (possible tie in to a remote work policy) or drone shipping to remove/reduce heavy trucks going from industrial to commercial or cargo hubs. Plaza stuff in vanilla, the ability to make a pedestrian focused city rather than automobile focused one. Visible changes in roads for good and poor maintenance or high/low budget, potholes, trash, overpass graffiti and the like.

Better eco options, higher capacity bendy and double deck e- busses or e-taxi, ride share (e cars if combustion engine ban is on). And some cutting edge tech like roads that generate power from solar and self driving transport for better traffic efficiency, ways to further reduce noise pollution like drone delivery so pops don’t leave home to shop (possible tie in to a remote work policy) or drone shipping to remove/reduce heavy trucks going from industrial to commercial or cargo hubs. Plaza stuff in vanilla, the ability to make a pedestrian focused city rather than automobile focused one. Visible changes in roads for good and poor maintenance or high/low budget, potholes, trash, overpass graffiti and the like.
In my opinion, electric cars are not that environmentally friendly. Unfortunately, the game can't take advantage of this, because their batteries are very dirty for the environment and almost impossible to recycle

Reactions: