• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dev Diary #4 — Realms and the Pantheon

Hello everyone, I'm Thomas Schuiten, a designer at Triumph Studios. Today in this dev diary I will give you some insight into the many Realms you can explore, and the Magehaven from which you do so.

The fourth Age of Wonders brings the return of the Wizard kings, but more than that, with the barriers between worlds torn open, many Realms are now within reach.

This new freedom calls for a different approach to Scenarios and maps than Age of Wonders has known in the past, and it's an excellent fit to build upon the lessons of Planetfall’s Empire Mode.

6iutlrQAWobTQeH0TIoE7JR3SPX9vvEueALPT5w_nsVeSAaT7icXZ17HYgAc7BbCgkGFkklr-v1j7RGp8ppaM43KH6rkS7dBE6CpNnaMeaVOhOxUdddgbt_AMKJxBH7pFn5TPudmQ_3G1C_XUsNVusU

In this age you will form a Pantheon of god-like characters through your conquests. A Ruler may ascend to the Pantheon by conquering a Realm, from where they may join future conquests, or oppose them…

LMZApv52jU7eZSKZm5ywf4KRBIOfYkOYcTArQ_g6riKJv5jRiT6FbYc7xSdmQxFZopii7szQbkJAg_nfyCQbjmQ54iXYmVe6JCT4fCZfSVwdhXr2uqyguZQfXpyXhQcYGO25f4o3vnrNLXjmJe_Srw0

There will be more info on the Pantheon further down, but first we must choose a Realm to conquer.

Realms

xH6A5g4RAwsYLVGDpy_4c8M8HViBm8fKZ9yziYwRLctHo3trfTqkYfImfetiVVAFIwZkDXm5HTX_GO5nUwocALs0jANQUTcLaKyVZhjGtOOcxKc5LfN5I-rhVsXP7QZmMSkNfqxYEEk730gSZ-KpSWs
There are 3 kinds of Realm to choose from:
  • Story Realms, with custom lore and story content that tells the story of the Fourth Age of Wonders and the return of the Godir,​
  • Challenge Realms, where an interesting set of traits is gathered together to give a unique Realm to be explored and conquered.​
  • Custom Realms, these are your own creations, making a custom Realm lets you pick Traits as you see fit to make something unexpected.​

Each Realm is made up of various Realm Traits, these are divided into 5 types based on which aspect of the Realm they affect; Geography, Clime, Inhabitant, Presence and Miscellaneous (further referred to as Misc).
Each realm can feature 1 of each of these (except for Misc traits, of which a realm can have 4)

Geography Traits determine the shape of the world and can have a huge impact. This is where you find “Continents” and “Islands” map types, but also a few unique twists such as “Lava Divide” where the realm is roughly split in two by an ocean of impassable lava (only connected through the underground)
fXcD0MZxPPFADWBRkwpEMcrWwJUfSk88hnacGTlm1Mhk3mhYH0KGfGqobu-j958cJnRtqnNrlTH-d4o4RvBbf3BabPzccfO-_xbiNihgq7bOwVA-btgEoQoOFyZqdX6JKjEIiQz4A4rEohyHZu7LhxA

Clime Traits are next, and they modify the environment of the realm, making certain climes more or less likely to appear.If you want a desert realm or a frozen wasteland this is where you can find it. (Or if you want some real chaos you can choose Forming Realm and watch the world form around you as you build your empire)

LbxKVEpvwRcAMkYjFt-1H5P2VE-ET5m5v-ylfoFDyk1nueIGjVPARPYyFhSgW1a3HuH_VnQ73VRer0bsUID1gIeT1uR-6xhIjUfM_pnSoGlJnvjXMe_-LnPUQ_PrR-SIz-wuXqPk_1-Ih14wX6YrKYg

Inhabitant Traits affect the prevalence of particular creature types on that Realm as well as certain structures, perhaps left behind by the Realm’s previous inhabitants. This is where you can make the Realm dominated by undead creatures, or have enormous beasts stalking the wilderness.
WZI3kox5KbkBWX_O-05e6f5s7hR4au9jW26L_D0z-Yqe0VpRhfq9t6WnUU28GNwLhL8P4NE-mC6p5qncrvgIo4wXrs8MOAulgM9NA7DI1Popn4KxM8dCOTTT3pMK3neeAhi0rP7zVMGW3XCVRvSaRZ8

Presence Traits add Empires to the realm that have special starting conditions and provide a unique challenge, for example the Pretender kings adds 3 kings with substantial kingdoms in the midst of a succession war.
gGxaYYMXN48ODXXGDsTxbmki3zhz_2hXBjKNKWi9mt3jTUwrr6EbP79v26DK_pnWGQcfDnCVPl1A5E6EqGGfZyRjMjXb9pUmoHOYTRh9iesg3IN-LTO7JKmOaVsyjQmb9TTlrd9uVURpq7FIYIRfoqM

Lastly there’s Misc Traits, these modify the rules of the game, or otherwise modify the realm in a manner that can be mixed and matched with any other trait. Want to make a realm where Free Cities are less common, leaving ruins instead to mark valuable locations? The Ruined Realm trait will do that.

rgY7-dNFOQizjHaGuN_69ZAfhjnhyZG_7F4mF7_GwJRfHfBm3k_6Q-7MGgHhscqP6Ab7c5jj6C9tsP794-a7P3-go30RHfm73IDvCFOGVcL-k8DxAgVbwvvLC1nf_QQ0aaZqMPbzKO1gokfmbKFVkKg

When you’ve obtained some experience in the game, misc traits are where you find interesting twists to change up your play through, like with for example the Megacities trait.

VuF8kVRHObH0PaEVdiMdfw3I0pDacyZBY3ibSYGazEU2pYatvmOL2F7OSOTYMPU1nZSzZHRXMFpOXzzrzlyA9KSuyO1EmQRep1kudAzjd7wtUuYcPDNT0pAjo7789fnkxmkg7rE4BxVP4OmVD3Nm2ag

Your Pantheon

The Pantheon is where you collect your Ascended rulers, each ruler you complete a Realm with may ascend to your Pantheon, from where they may aid or hinder future conquests. It is also where you spend the Points you’ve earned with your Pantheon XP to unlock new customization options for your leaders!

FvSDNAkYqMgjVMc5J3dsS4D0OTWpK9Pqrjih5MHENeJWrPQtZIHZn-Jfm-UVowJ-nd6vh5-UPC471JOQOv24wi7yneVzoCN6_7j6JG0Wg06DWcjSy1qEIf3pqkLWNb99o4QizYIKsDMVPfwc7ampN_8

During your conquests you gain Pantheon XP for completing certain actions, clearing infestations, conquering cities, defeating players and gaining vassals are just some examples. Completing a Realm through victory, defeat or by abandoning it adds this XP to your Pantheon and gives you Points with which to unlock new items in the Pantheon tree.
RPSX4qd_bq7pj00q1gjWbS9xI-LUS6ayKTKYZ_WmQK3sZI3e0M2EDjxuYMf3Jdau7TqGf_vixKs3Rw-TQXN9IiUZtvqImj8PpDFG3uZh7Ev3mIM8SNRGZRMR7Q2XUDv2eIaMp66wVqNUbhBMUgcGHx8

__VSgh7K4lTv_EmlaUnLk6f-FOJYBJWX7IDWoGoAN1gsaHaXqWDQ8-MNI2JCwU8R7xFWiiQGTgIdadeeQISAMuwGF9cjVir2aBwi14QpL-4q1Hf3WfS-X_UOXBEgf3S47WwdkSqOcBrMKfaqq_AlfOQ
These include hats and cloaks as seen above, but also Leader origins and society traits that will add new options to your empire creation.

As you gain Pantheon XP you will also unlock new Realms to explore, each bringing a unique Presence trait to the table that you may then use in your own custom realms as well.

hFRuFuTxBepN1_ZbkkaSS0wW4hera_RakNCIbMv9XxtUvZ7-e3tz8xZR_TXTLOGF5JbCIq6pqbIJ1TDrbGRzUExjEAjhnrg9P_9zNqjutMscx0-qIigB6zjR97mW_qLM0ZOmpTO_LLr8OCFhWqby48Y

UEB8ScvLYOvA9eBw2uC7fqY9PKTsTUDHT9ZFnzAPLrsdMbXSbNdWa4dym7uAXH1Sr81cYxxEKV1zrfrYxCsafgIweDRKmg8xyKb7AJL0tEw7t9-c4D2x4wf5UnN-KcGYZOwsxx9bUenUqqIcLNgiqkI
I hope you enjoyed this introduction to the Realm and Pantheon system, there is much to be explored and experimented with. I look forward to seeing the Realms that you create and reading the stories of your conquests!

Stay tuned for a new dev diary next week as we are going to talk about Factions creation. Also, consider adding the game to the Wishlist!

• 75Like
  • 41Love
Reactions:
This was the first DD to up my worries. Gating cosmetic and gameplay customization options through play brings only one thing to mind: grind. And in most games, I don't think that is justified.

There is, of course, a time and place for gating content in a game, but I often prefer when all customization options (specially those that are cosmetic) to be freely available from the start. And, again, depending on how many hours one has to spend to get a particular set of options, that "grind" might be more doable or acceptable.

Overall, though, if I'm getting this right, that's a bit of a "Strike 1" for me :p

• 3Like
Reactions:
My Disappointment is Immeasurable and My Day is Ruined.

But that term "Megafauna" is a bit misleading if you ask me.

Here's the thing, Megafauna can refer to a number of size thresholds, around human size and around ox size being the more common. We are pretty large by the standards of the animal kingdom. So most of the combat animals in previous games are megafauna by most definitions. Presumably many of the truly giant animals are in game and will have the frequency increased along with the rest.

Reactions:
I am very excited about the DLC possibilities these systems will make possible. Please take my money.

(Does anyone know why my "owned items" don't show? I have gone through the step by step guide, everything is linked, but each time I try to sync, it says nothing was found. (I own a lot of paradox games and DLC, ha.) Someone was nice enough to DM stating they had the same issue, and after contacting support, it should be fixed in next forum update.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Looks neat! But ummm... what kind of game is this?

And is the Pantheon just a skill tree?
Perhaps, but that is important is the concept and the fact that it is thought out from the beginning.
Had in mind that the game is moddable,
So a pantheon can also become something else... example : Specific units ? or spell ? or population trait.... the game is moddable so details count less.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This was the first DD to up my worries. Gating cosmetic and gameplay customization options through play brings only one thing to mind: grind. And in most games, I don't think that is justified.
I could state it another way: I think gating cosmetic and gameplay customization options through play brings something fun to work towards beyond just playing disjointed random map campaigns. That said, I think it all boils down to how much is there up front and the pace of progression. Presumably there's more than enough content to work through from the start, and the Pantheon unlocks are extra flavour that will unlock naturally through playing.

Meta progression has worked it's way into tons of games nowadays, so that combined with the love people had for the Empire mode in Planetfall should make it a very popular system.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Looks really cool, but can you get these pantheon points only by completing singleplayer maps or also in multiplayer?
You can gain XP and use your Pantheon unlocked items in multiplayer as well. Realms are also playable as multiplayer maps ^^

How big are the customization options for the first character we create?
There's quite a wide variety of customization items available to each mortal Leader (based on their culture) or Godir. The Pantheon merely adds a few additional options unbound by culture for you to make some new combinations ^^

Great stuff, I am happy about all the options and possibilities! So the obvious question is: will the pantheon progression offer draconians or lizardmen at some point?
And: when a leader reaches my pantheon, s/he will still be there to start more raids - aeh visits (did I say raids?) *cough* - on further relams?
Ascended leaders that have joined the pantheon can be reused and edited without a problem, they may also offer to join you as a Hero (if you are not already playing as them of course).

All of this looks very promising.

I have a question: There is an option "Underground start" here. Does this mean that *everyone* starts underground, or only some players? Will there still be maps where some start locations are underground and some are on the surface?
Underground start would force all Players to start underground. Outside of that any Player can start underground by picking the Underground Adaptation Form trait in race creation.

Sounds (and looks) very good. Especially liking 1) the Geography Traits that dramatically impact the world like the Lava Divide., 2) the Presence Traits providing unique challenges and 3) the Misc Traits that give different game rules. Mixing these in different ways should also garantuee extra replayability.
And gaining XP to unlock things is always a nice bonus.

Maybe I missed it, but what does Tier 3, Tier 4, Tier 5 stand for in the Realms-selection screen?
The Tiers are assigned by hand when Realm Templates are made, it is a vague indication of how hard/complicated the realm makes the game. Wouldn't want anyone starting out foolishly picking to fight the Demon King and getting absolutely demolished. :^)

will there be also options concering realm size - like small, medium, large, gigantic realms?
Map size is governed by the "Player Distance" setting combined with the amount of players. It can be set as normal and is independent from the Realm Traits.

Question: Is turning city founding off still an option in the game rules, as in AoW3, or is it strictly tied to realm type? Cause I confess I nearly always played with that option.
It is included as a Misc Trait. there is no separate option for it however.

What exactly is a realm, story-wise? Is it comparable to a whole planet? Or is it more like a small pocket dimension? And is Athla an example of one of these realms?

The game looks great btw! So excited to play it!
Realms are regions on a world, there are many worlds, with Athla being an example, the Valley of Wonders for example is a Realm within Athla.
A little concerned about how society trait unlocks will work for multiplayer, needing XP for gameplay options there could be a problem. Will everything be available in MP? Or can you beeline to skip the cosmetics and just get the gameplay unlocks fairy quick?
the Society traits unlocked through the Pantheon system are not necessarily more powerful than the ones available by default, they are variations to allow new approaches for advanced players.

What's the difference between a character that is in my Pantheon and one that I've created but not yet played in a Realm? Does the former get bonuses or cosmetics that the latter doesn't? Can a custom character show up as a random opponent even if they're not (yet) part of the Pantheon?
Any custom leader can show up as an opponent regardless of them being part of the Pantheon or not. (if you do not disable this of course). Pantheon leaders may show up as Heroes during your conquest while custom leaders will not.

This looks cool, but can we also just play like a random map with no pantheon and just setup a game with custom leaders, teams (can we even make teams in AOW IV?), etc like in Age of Wonders III, or is AOW IV's single player experience completely tied to only pantheon? I am not familiar with the empire mode in Planetfall because I have very limited time in it, and the time that I spent in Planetfall, I've just played random maps. Will AOW IV work similar to how Planetfall is in this aspect? One mode for just random maps and one mode for empire/pantheon?
Everything is unified in one mode, but all options are still present.
If you want a completely random map, simply start a custom realm without selecting any traits. (Except for the Geography one, which is required) Just pick continents and nothing als and press go, and you will have a basic random map.
i know its abit early but can you provide me some napkin math how long would I need to grind, to get specific origin from pantheon I really like :D?

thank you so much if u can, love what I see so far
Progression pace depends on the game length (As a lot of xp is gained from in game actions), Victory or Defeat counts for the largest chunk however. On average it is expected you'll get between 3-5 points from a conquest which should get you through a particular theme unlocks. (of course if you want some of the stuff further down in the tree it'll take a bit to get there.
Then the question is will main story mod give you end game rewards?

And can you jump between story mode and regular mod, will too many unlockable making story mode easier?
Story Realms are part of the Pantheon system as well, there is no separation between the two. And unlockable society traits are not necessarily more powerful than the regular available traits, thus they should not make the game any easier. (if you want it to be easier you can always adjust the difficulty settings of any realm you chose to play on, Story or otherwise)

Out of curiosity, I just went into Empire mode in Planetfall to see the setup, and appears we cannot make teams in it. Just to confirm, in AOW IV's Pantheon, are we able to assign teams to the ruler slots in the advanced settings?
contained this in an above reply but yes, you can add players as normal if you like and set their teams as well. ^^

Question about Custom Realms - will there be options in multiplayer for each player to have a say in the Realm's traits, or will it all be host controlled?

A 'drafting phase' of realm traits would add a really interesting meta layer to the game
It would be neat indeed, however we have to keep scope in mind and as such the setup is Host controlled, does not stop players from having them selected on house rules or playing a particular custom realm anyway though ^^

Everything i have seen so far looks amazing. The freedom in creating race/culture/affinity combinations plus a custom campaign builder like the pantheon system is taking AOW to the next level imo.

How i understand it everything including the story campaign (story realm) is part of the pantheon. Sound amazing!

What i love about the empire mode in PF is that you can unlock almost any unit/doctrine/mod and choose 3 of each to be available on a planet.
Its so much fun to have your favorite faction unit by your side, finding new synergies outside of your race/secret tech or even preparing in advance for a specific challange on a planet.
Is something like this part of the pantheon system?

Also as a modder i am burning for intel on the modding tools/system. Will it be like or similar to PF? Any major changes or improvements?
There is no requisition system like the Empire Mode in PF, this is due to the nature of AoW4's Tome system. You can already mix and match tech as you like, and nothing is off limits as it was in Planetfall. Thus adding a system like this would be redundant. You'll be able to make any build you want and adapt to challenges in every game thanks to the Tome system, but talking about that is not my domain so ill leave that for another time ;)

As for modding, I've mentioned it earlier in this oversized reply post, but the intent is that any modder can add an RPK with whatever they desire, and as long as it uses the correct resource the Realm system detects it and lets you choose it as a custom realm trait, adding whatever content it contains. Though moddability is something we still need to properly test, it is one of our aims. I'm not the most technical person so hope that helps.

Happy to see such a positive response! I'll try to keep up to date if there's further questions but hope these answers help! ^^

• 16Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Any custom leader can show up as an opponent regardless of them being part of the Pantheon or not. (if you do not disable this of course). Pantheon leaders may show up as Heroes during your conquest while custom leaders will not. (snip)
Oh, brilliant! That's a huge help! That means I won't have to play as all the factions I want to see in my games, I only have to play as the ones I actively enjoy playing. The other sorts of factions I want to see, no matter what their combination of traits and such, can still show up without me having to put them in my Pantheon. Thanks for this info!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Happy to see such a positive response! I'll try to keep up to date if there's further questions but hope these answers help! ^^
That is a huge understatement, if you ask me! I have seldom been hyped that much for a game. (and I play those games since the release of the C-64 ;)
The sheer amount of flexibility is breathtaking and the pantheon system offering your beloved heroes as surprise companions/allies is fun too. Does this system reacts to alignment? Say: I played an evil hero and win a conquest and after that I play a peaceful good hearted champion, will the evil one be a possible companion?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Say: I played an evil hero and win a conquest and after that I play a peaceful good hearted champion, will the evil one be a possible companion?
You control yourself whether a Ascended Ruler can join as a Hero. There's a checkbox for each Ruler that will enable or disable them from showing as a Hero.

• 10Like
Reactions:
The main thing is that many of the things you do during a Game will award you XP naturally, including winning or losing a game. The current balance would result in approximately 4 Pantheon Points at the end of an average realm.

• 6Like
Reactions:
You control yourself whether a Ascended Ruler can join as a Hero. There's a checkbox for each Ruler that will enable or disable them from showing as a Hero.
This is even better! So I can play evil games with my evil pals and good games with the good ones. Great!

It must be hard to create such a great game and have to work on it while you could spend the time to play it ;)

• 3Like
Reactions:
This is even better! So I can play evil games with my evil pals and good games with the good ones. Great!

It must be hard to create such a great game and have to work on it while you could spend the time to play it ;)
Luckily we need to do a lot of playtesting. ;)

• 4Like
  • 4Haha
Reactions:
That "Forming Realm" option sounds like it'll be chaotic as hell and crazy-fun to play!

Couple of questions about the maps/realms I have that I hope somebody could answer for me...

Is there an option to create a realm with a variety or mish-mash of the various climate options?

Will the map edges be "seamless"? I'm not sure if that's the correct term, but what I mean is can you basically circumnavigate the map, like in Planetfall? Or will there be a hard border around the edges of the map, like in AoW3?
Going by one of Joridi's answers to another question, I'm guessing the maps will have a "hard" border like in AoW3, but figure I'd ask anyway.
I would love an option to have a seamless map though.

What way are players/Ai opponents placed around the map? Are they placed in a circle near the edges of the map equidistant from each other? Or are they placed randomly all over the place?

• 3Like
Reactions:
That "Forming Realm" option sounds like it'll be chaotic as hell and crazy-fun to play!

Couple of questions about the maps/realms I have that I hope somebody could answer for me...

Is there an option to create a realm with a variety or mish-mash of the various climate options?

Will the map edges be "seamless"? I'm not sure if that's the correct term, but what I mean is can you basically circumnavigate the map, like in Planetfall? Or will there be a hard border around the edges of the map, like in AoW3?
Going by one of Joridi's answers to another question, I'm guessing the maps will have a "hard" border like in AoW3, but figure I'd ask anyway.
I would love an option to have a seamless map though.

What way are players/Ai opponents placed around the map? Are they placed in a circle near the edges of the map equidistant from each other? Or are they placed randomly all over the place?
You can simply not pick a clime trait to have all of them included, however when it comes to picking traits unfortunately they cannot mix as they would overwrite each other, hence only 1 can be picked at a time. Though modding in any combination you'd like should be really easy. (though I hope to have covered obvious choices)

The map is not circumnavigable on account of the map not covering an entire "world" but rather a Realm within that world. There were some techy reasons too but I can't help with those ;^)

Empires are placed based on the Player Distance setting, if you want them closer and have a smaller map you set it to close, same the other way around. ^^

• 3Like
Reactions: