• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
*cough* @Werther it is best character writer of the week and looking at the dates I see it is past due for you to pass this onto our next worthy winner. ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
You are right, @El Pip. I'm really sorry, I'm a little busy at work right now and most of the AARs I read this week were historical books. I'm going to try to focus on narratives, but I don't think I'll be able to select any until this weekend.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I hesitated for a long time. Not Dictator Boyer of course. But maybe the exotic Albizu, his 38 years of reign over Haiti and his famous "perfectly broken system"?

But I preferred President Mario Garray. This charismatic trade unionist and cigar enthusiast, who managed, during his first term (1900-1907), to bring the country out of the depression of the Jorrin (liberal) years and was the father of the 'Haitian miracle'. He was the first to introduce legislation favorable to women (the first female president would be elected only a few years later), he banned child labor, was the architect of the 'Port-au-Prince Pact' and obtained formal recognition from the Europeans.

If he lost the 1907 elections, it did not prevent him from triumphantly returning to power a few months later for a second term (1908-1912). It sadly ended with the New Guinea War that would forever traumatize (but also strengthen) this young nation. Unfortunately we do not know the fate of Garray after his resignation in 1912.

Congrats @ThunderHawk3 for your wonderful AAR!

PS: I notice only now that you won another award, but you deserve ten more, so who cares :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I think we may be a few days out from your recommendation for the next Character WritAAR of the Week, eh? You can't hold it forever @ThunderHawk3 . ;)

• 2Like
Reactions:
If we were overdue before Christmas, we are definitely overdue now. As our current winner has been seen online since November it is perhaps time to open this up to nominations from the floor?

Reactions:
If we were overdue before Christmas, we are definitely overdue now. As our current winner has been seen online since November it is perhaps time to open this up to nominations from the floor?
Thank you for reminding us! Open for nomination!

This has gone on long enough! I don't read as much here as I used to so I had hoped that someone else might make a pick as suggested. Yet if you lot are unwilling, then I shall do my best to pass it on. Thus I wish to give the next nod to our resident prolific writAAR @Bullfilter for his latest work and (now very aged) Emperor Hroðulfr in Blood and Empire: A Clash of Civilisations, a continuation of his masterful Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga in CKII. It is a gameplay work, primarily, but the man's character comes out through the writing. I could have given it to Toste, or Helgi or now Arni (sorry...spoilers)...but it seems fitting to offer it to the sire.

Congratulations, my friend. May there be many more memorable characters.

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Thank you my friend, you are too kind @coz1 and it is really appreciated. Hroðulfr has been through a lot and, other than that ‘justly cruel’ streak and penchant for having captured rebel leaders gored to death by boars or drawn and quartered, he generally tries to do the right thing! For a Norse Germanic imperial warlord, anyway ;)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The infamous CK2 work by the antipodean emu collective. I occasionally look at it, but then get intimidated by how much it would take to get caught up on.

But enough of that, congratulations indeed @Bullfilter for another well deserved award. After all it @coz1 say it has good characters that recommendation is good enough for me. ;)

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Thank you.
Congratulations @Bullfilter !
And likewise, thanks.
The infamous CK2 work by the antipodean emu collective. I occasionally look at it, but then get intimidated by how much it would take to get caught up on.

But enough of that, congratulations indeed @Bullfilter for another well deserved award. After all it @coz1 say it has good characters that recommendation is good enough for me. ;)
Thanks. Nb: this is from a new AAR that only recently started. The whole of the predecessor is summarised briefly in a single episode, then it starts in 1041 with the life of the current emperor. The chapters are shorter and cover longer periods in far less gameplay detail than the original.

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thanks also to you!

A day or two late, some RL things, but it's time to pass this on. I'm doing so to someone who has only won this once before (as far as I can determine) in 2019 for a previous AAR. They take their story-telling craft seriously and have created a very believable alternate world in their interpretation of Westeros from the time of Aegon the Conqueror. I was reading GRRM's book Blood and Fire for a while at the same time as reading this work and would sometimes get momentarily confused between the two, such is the depth and quality of the writing!

I'm talking about @streaker77 and his magnum opus The Dragons Realm, A House Targaryen AAR in CK2. Specifically, I'll nominate the current Queen Laena as the character of the week, but the AAR abounds in well-wrought characters.

All hail our new CWOTW, @streaker77! :)

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Congrats @streaker77 ! Seems just about everyone forgot about this weekly momentarily, probably slow to pick themselves up again after the festivities...