• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Glocc on da blocc

Private
25 Badges
Dec 6, 2022
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
So a few days ago I moved all of my CK3-related files to my SSD to save space, and they're all there from what I can tell (including my save games) but for some reason the launcher doesn't seem to recognize my saves and when I boot up the game they don't show up either.
I'm on a previous version and have OOD mods if that's relevant

(Attached are two screenshots, the first one being my launcher when I start up the game and the second one being my save files from around yesterday)

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    1,4 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    246,8 KB · Views: 0
What if you stick your save games in your Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games folder? I understand you moved your installation to a new SSD but your Documents folder should still be on your C drive and have this folder.

What if you stick your save games in your Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games folder? I understand you moved your installation to a new SSD but your Documents folder should still be on your C drive and have this folder.
I'm sorry to say, and don't flame me for this, but I deleted the paradox interactive folder just after I moved it to my SSD. But the folder and all of its corresponding data are on my SSD and not my HDD documents, so it still exists but the launcher doesn't seem to find it.

Moving your save files using File Explorer does not somehow alert the launcher or game that you've done that! They will continue to look in the default place , which is usually Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games . That Documents folder is pointed to by a variable in Windows.

Moving your save files using File Explorer does not somehow alert the launcher or game that you've done that! They will continue to look in the default place , which is usually Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings III\save games . That Documents folder is pointed to by a variable in Windows.

I understand that the launcher will still attempt to look for the associated files in C: Documents, but as stated before I deleted them to make space (oops)

All I'm really asking for is a way to make the launcher redirect to my SSD (where the 'Paradox Interactive' folder is based), I know it's something with the .json files but I'm not exactly tech savvy (as you could probably tell) and I don't want to irreversibly mess the launcher up.

Well, the easiest way is to use Steam Cloud saves instead.

Next easiest is to redirect your whole Windows user Documents folder to another drive; In the left column of File Explorer right click on Documents, just under This PC there. Go to Properties, Location.

If those aren't suitable for you it can be done by editing and making text files; that's a fiddly process and may need to be redone when there's a game or launcher update. But let me know and I'll lay out that process too.

Well, the easiest way is to use Steam Cloud saves instead.

Next easiest is to redirect your whole Windows user Documents folder to another drive; In the left column of File Explorer right click on Documents, just under This PC there. Go to Properties, Location.

If those aren't suitable for you it can be done by editing and making text files; that's a fiddly process and may need to be redone when there's a game or launcher update. But let me know and I'll lay out that process too.
Ok so I tried moving my Documents folder from OneDrive to my SSD but it says there's already a 'Documents' folder in the SSD even though I've checked and there isn't (Screenshot 2).

I also realized I had a 'Paradox Interactive' folder still on my HDD which only contained a folder for CK3 related stuff (Screenshot 1). I tried moving my Save Games folder to it but the launcher still doesn't seem to find them (Screenshot 3).

At this point I'm considering just using Cloud Saves (as you mentioned previously) but I still have yet to iron out the kinks on how to get them to work. I tried using 'last_save' as a last ditch effort but it didn't work for me either.

If you could manage to get Cloud Saves to work for me I'd be grateful, but if not I'll probably just start anew if it's too much of a lost cause.

(Edit: It seems the 'Paradox Interactive' folder on my HDD only seems to deal with launcher related stuff)

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    120,7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    137,9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
I don't know why you are getting that error in moving your set Documents location. You may need qualified Windows support help with that.

What is your issue with saving to cloud instead of locally? It should just be a case of ticking that box in the game's settings.

I don't know why you are getting that error in moving your set Documents location. You may need qualified Windows support help with that.

What is your issue with saving to cloud instead of locally? It should just be a case of ticking that box in the game's settings.
I'll probably take your advice and go to Microsoft directly for help with the Documents situation.

On the topic of Cloud Saves though, I have them enabled and I do have one Cloud Save saved but I don't know how to get it to work with the launcher. I had moved the save to the 'save games' folder but it still didn't work, which circles back to my original problem of saves not being recognized.

Again if it's too much trouble I could start a new game since everything else for the game runs fine and I don't play Ironman. I also don't wanna take up too much of your time and make this thread unnecessarily long.

(Attached: SS 1 shows my Cloud Save folder, SS 2 shows the exact same save in my 'save games' folder, SS 3 shows my still not working launcher)

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    77,1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    135,4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (10).png
    Screenshot (10).png
Ah, is your issue with cloud saves how to move a local save into the cloud? That I'm not sure about with this game, TBH. Having placed the save under that /remote/ folder, I would have thought Steam would sync it up to the cloud next time you exited the game. Does the game show in Steam as the cloud synced okay? Does it show here?

Your launcher shows you are still on game version 1.7.2, is that deliberate? Current is 1.8

Ah, is your issue with cloud saves how to move a local save into the cloud? That I'm not sure about with this game, TBH. Having placed the save under that /remote/ folder, I would have thought Steam would sync it up to the cloud next time you exited the game. Does the game show in Steam as the cloud synced okay? Does it show here?

Your launcher shows you are still on game version 1.7.2, is that deliberate? Current is 1.8
I checked my sync status with Steam and it says the files sync status is up to date but yet the launcher has yet to find them.

I just wanted to throw this out there, how do you modify the .json files so the %gamedatapath% can be switched from Documents to my SSD? I had seen this suggestion discussed in other threads talking about similar problems and I feel this might work.

(Edit: forgot my SS)

Attachments

• Screenshot (11).png
    Screenshot (11).png
    1,3 MB · Views: 0
The normal file path for the folder you want to use there, like D:/CK3/ or whatever.

The normal file path for the folder you want to use there, like D:/CK3/ or whatever.
It worked! Thank you very much for your time I almost lost 800+ hours of progress!

For anyone dealing with the same problem, I attached a screenshot of what the .json files looked like when I first opened it (SS 1) to when I fixed it (SS 2)

Just change the %gamedatapath% to whatever your new path is (mine was D: ) and it should work.

(Attached: SS1 unmodified .json file, SS2 rewritten .json file, SS3 is my (finally) working launcher)

Attachments

• Screenshot (14).png
    Screenshot (14).png
    64,8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (13).png
    Screenshot (13).png
    121,8 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (15).png
    Screenshot (15).png
    1,5 MB · Views: 0