[Dev Team] 3.5.3 Patch Released (checksum c1ba)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That is not even remotely comparable.

There are things I could do with sector automation, important things critical for the mod, that planet automation has no substitute for yet. I did not choose an older tool because it was familiar, or because I didn't want to change. I chose it because it was the only tool that actually had the capability to do the job I needed. Now no such tool even exists.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
It does exist, on 3.5.2. Do you think everyone with mods that affected tiles demanded that they "<rude words> REVERT IMMEDIATELY" when the pop system was reworked?

"Please keep 3.5.2 around as a rollback branch, as it's the most advanced patch that still has sector automation" is a legitimate request, though. I think they try to keep the major breakpoints around, though most patches are eventually dropped, and if this affects you (and your mod(s)) significantly, that means it might qualify.

Edit: removed the profanity which was copied from another comment (which has since been removed).

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
It does exist, on 3.5.2. Do you think everyone with mods that affected tiles demanded that they "<rude words> REVERT IMMEDIATELY" when the pop system was reworked?
That was a fundamental change in game mechanics at a conceptual level.

The concept of automation is still very much in the game, and everything my mod does fits perfectly with current and ongoing future development of it on the conceptual level. Paradox removed an older implementation of it when the new implementation is fundamentally not yet ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
Removed out dated sector automation logic which was activated for planets when sector automation was enabled but planet automation was deactivated
That out dated logic held critical capabilities for mods that the newer logic still has no replacement for, and was still in active use for that reason. My mod, Better Planet Automation with 2450 subscribers, and a similar older mod, Improved Planet and Sector Automation with 9764 subscribers, both used and depended on this "out dated" logic, and cannot function properly without it.

I would gladly switch to the new planet automation system for implementing my mod, but it still cannot do everything that I need it to do for my mod to function properly. I spent many hours, over the course of weeks, trying to get an earlier version of planet automation to work for my mod before I finally gave up and used sector automation instead. I have kept a close eye on patch notes for every scrap of improvements and changes in how planet automation works.

I have been planning to switch the moment I can do so without losing functionality, but that moment has not yet come.

This removal of sector automation logic is premature. Paradox, please restore it immediately.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Both improvements are amazing, especially the second one which has been my gripe for years at this point.

Someday I hope AI will get all the same anomalies player can have...

This patch eliminates every single issue I had listed with Toxoids DLC content! And also a good portion of the other 3.5 issues.

To celebrate, I've moved a bunch of preexisting issues from 3.4 that I've checked are still present up to fill the cleared space.

• AI will now research debris.
Yay!

• Vassals that leave an overlord's war by a change in the agreement will now get a truce with every opponent.
Is that with every opponent, not every participant? Because I'd imagine any of their former war allies would also get hit by sudden closed borders FTL if any defensive fighting was going on in that empire's territory.

• Planet Automation Crime module will now forbid enforcer jobs if you have 0 crime and allow enforcer jobs if you have more than 27 crime
  • Added a Planet Automation setting which allows for construction even during resource deficits
  • Changed how Planet Automation is presented in the Planet View to more clearly show that there are settings that the player can use
Yay!

• AI hive-mind will no longer destroy hive warrens.
Does this also fix the possibly related issue where Machine Intelligence empires didn't destroy expanded warrens, or do I still need to report that?

@Douglas2341 It might be worth describing the functionality you need in the planetary automation discussion thread, to see if it can get added back in there?

• 4Like
Reactions:
I would be surprised if it is intended behaviour since I never had it happen in previous patches and this patch I have it happen in more or less every game with a spiritualist FE (where I get vassals)
It's happening constantly to me in my current game, and I never saw it happen a single time before this.

AI empires should be hardcoded not to settle holy worlds, period.

Completely agree, huge problem if you want to play WITH the Ai... (i know, some people are weird... :-D )

"You will no longer get alerts about envoys dying."

That is sad, but understandable... I would love for envoys to get some sort of traits like bonus to interact with certain types of empires, or bonusses to deciver foreign languages, etc. Currently they are just a cap for actions, and this "convenience fix" sadly underlines that as well.

It would be great if envoys could also become rulers and then get bonusses to foreign relations (because of their prior experiences), etc.

I actually don't like this change as even though Envoys are the most minor types of leaders and largely interchangeable, I like being able to look back at the screenshots I took during the campaign and know that X diplomat who negotiated Y deal with Z nation lived for N years and died in a particular year.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Removed out dated sector automation logic which was activated for planets when sector automation was enabled but planet automation was deactivated
What do you mean by outdated sector automation logic? Does that mean you need planetary automation, and sector automation won't build anything without it?

Vassals that leave an overlord's war by a change in the agreement will now get a truce with every opponent.
I want to reiterate that long term it's not a good idea to let vassals get out of a war without any wargoals being enforced.

In my case I was in a war to subjugate the overlord and I had a claim against the vassal to get an L-Gate and suddenly the vassal changes their agreement and are out of the war without having to hand over their L-Gate.

And you can imagine cases that are much worse, because overlords will always be the warleader, even when their vassal is the actual target. So imagine you want to impose your ideology on a criminal megacorp vassal and they get out of the war by changing their agreement without having to change their ideology.

Reactions:
What do you mean by outdated sector automation logic? Does that mean you need planetary automation, and sector automation won't build anything without it?
Exactly. Sector automation no longer exists, which is a problem for multiple major mods that depend on it.

Did this patch completely break planet/sector automation? I can no longer toggle either on/off or select options for them.
Sector automation no longer exists, and it changed the UI for planet automation. UI mods, such as UI Overhaul Dynamic, need to be updated for it. That particular one published an update 40 minutes ago.

Feel like people are sleeping on the double Progressive Faction Unity from the updated Shared Burdens. Imagine that plus Parliamentary System and maybe take on 1 point in Spiritualist [most you can with Shared Burdens]. Think of all the unity you'd be puling in.

• 3Like
Reactions: