• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is levy size tied to how big the realm are?

Right now as an Emperor with total holding in my realm between 300-350 and have Great Wall in my capital, I can muster 25K levy from 5 castle in my capital (5K/castle)

If I just small King of Aragon/Sweden who has no plan to expand, can I still muster 25K from my capital if I have Great Wall?
All other things being equal, demesne levies are not affected by realm size. But they are affected a lot by other things, like: your personal martial stat; whether your marshal is training troops; province modifiers (eg. the +25% from prosperity); etc.

It's also worth noting that retinue size is directly affected by realm size - a larger realm means more retinues. This is important because retinues can be a large fraction of your total armies - and they're also usually the best quality.

Heya, I'm not 100% sure if this is a modding question per se, but a mod could be the solution. I'm running a pre-holy fury game (with a full conversion mod), and the game after 200ish years is super bloated, like massive savefiles and sometimes stalls.

question here is: what is the main sources of bloat? I have two suspects, 1. a ridiculous amount of characters from an immortal culture, and 2. for some reason the game is spawning han emperors with new titles, which then get passed to new han emperors with new titles, so on, so theres like 40 emperors with like >100 empires held

and, if one of those/ another cause makes the bloat, is there a way I can remove it from an in progress game by means of an event or something? Or at least prevent further bloat.

Heya, I'm not 100% sure if this is a modding question per se, but a mod could be the solution. I'm running a pre-holy fury game (with a full conversion mod), and the game after 200ish years is super bloated, like massive savefiles and sometimes stalls.
If its from a mod you need to ask in the mod's forum?

More living characters = more events
so it is really inevitable even with a massive ghz rig.

question here is: what is the main sources of bloat? I have two suspects, 1. a ridiculous amount of characters from an immortal culture, and 2. for some reason the game is spawning han emperors with new titles, which then get passed to new han emperors with new titles, so on, so theres like 40 emperors with like >100 empires held

and, if one of those/ another cause makes the bloat, is there a way I can remove it from an in progress game by means of an event or something? Or at least prevent further bloat.
This is probably going to need a mod to resolve, as it's not practical to kill thousands of characters via the console.

For example:
  • Console-triggered event: For each character that has a title but no land, destroy the title and kill the character
  • Console-triggered event: For each immortal unlanded character, kill that character
    • You could change this to a chance of death based on whether they are an adult, or their stats, or some other criteria
  • Change the court pruning values in defines.
The thing is that, because the issue is caused by a mod, the same problem is definitly going to recur. IE: You're going to need to redo this "death of the immortals" event on a fairly regular basis. Once can be good role-play, but 10+ times will just be boring. So maybe you also need to fix the problems in the mod?

This is probably going to need a mod to resolve, as it's not practical to kill thousands of characters via the console.

For example:
  • Console-triggered event: For each character that has a title but no land, destroy the title and kill the character
  • Console-triggered event: For each immortal unlanded character, kill that character
    • You could change this to a chance of death based on whether they are an adult, or their stats, or some other criteria
  • Change the court pruning values in defines.
The thing is that, because the issue is caused by a mod, the same problem is definitly going to recur. IE: You're going to need to redo this "death of the immortals" event on a fairly regular basis. Once can be good role-play, but 10+ times will just be boring. So maybe you also need to fix the problems in the mod?

The run console command can be used to execute a quickly written piece of script, which is easier than putting together a mod and can be changed and re-run without re-launching the game.

The run console command can be used to execute a quickly written piece of script, which is easier than putting together a mod and can be changed and re-run without re-launching the game.
True. However, I was under the impression that these scripts could only use console commands. But I haven't used them myself, so I have to ask: Is that correct?

(Because, if so, that still seems impractical - eg. if you wanted to "kill every unlanded immortal character" via console command then, for each one, you would need to type "kill {charID}" in the console. That's fine for one or two, but not thousands. Even if you use a script for this, you still have to get the list of characters to kill from somewhere, and there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to do that using only in-game tools. (But, again, please correct me if I'm wrong!) This is why I was thinking of using the console to trigger a single event that scopes to any_character and acts accordingly (eg. to kill all characters that meet certain criteria), meaning that you might only need 1-2 commands (plus some out-of-game coding) to fix the problem. But if you can do that kind of stuff from the run command then that might indeed be better.)

True. However, I was under the impression that these scripts could only use console commands. But I haven't used them myself, so I have to ask: Is that correct?

(Because, if so, that still seems impractical - eg. if you wanted to "kill every unlanded immortal character" via console command then, for each one, you would need to type "kill {charID}" in the console. That's fine for one or two, but not thousands. Even if you use a script for this, you still have to get the list of characters to kill from somewhere, and there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to do that using only in-game tools. (But, again, please correct me if I'm wrong!) This is why I was thinking of using the console to trigger a single event that scopes to any_character and acts accordingly (eg. to kill all characters that meet certain criteria), meaning that you might only need 1-2 commands (plus some out-of-game coding) to fix the problem. But if you can do that kind of stuff from the run command then that might indeed be better.)
No, it runs actual game script. There's another command that runs a file, executing each line as a console command, which is generally far less useful.

Reactions:
1649904724380.png

Can anyone decipher why the potential joiner cannot join the side of the caliph? I've never seen this fail condition before.

View attachment 828994

Can anyone decipher why the potential joiner cannot join the side of the caliph? I've never seen this fail condition before.
Can you do a screenshot showing traits and titles of the Basileus? And also, if you're not in ironman, his character flags (ie. console > charinfo > hover over character portrait for tooltip)?

Essentially, I'm wondering if the current Basileus was "sent away as a mercenary" and then gained the throne without his mercenary status being properly cleaned up. Alternatively, maybe you've done something unusual like personally owning a mercenary or holy order title.

Can you do a screenshot showing traits and titles of the Basileus? And also, if you're not in ironman, his character flags (ie. console > charinfo > hover over character portrait for tooltip)?

Essentially, I'm wondering if the current Basileus was "sent away as a mercenary" and then gained the throne without his mercenary status being properly cleaned up. Alternatively, maybe you've done something unusual like personally owning a mercenary or holy order title.
Actually asking for another person. Caller is sunni and joiner is also sunni. So cant quite understand why joiner is unable to join.

Actually asking for another person. Caller is sunni and joiner is also sunni. So cant quite understand why joiner is unable to join.
I had assumed that "Basileus Abdullah" was the potential joiner. Is that correct?

If so, then what the game's saying is that he's a mercenary. And empire-tier. And playable. Which is not normally possible. So I was wondering if maybe the character had been a mercenary in the past, but his status had not been properly cleared.

Hey so I understand that random yearly prosperity gain for non-crown focus provinces is based on terrain, but I'm a little confused about how marsh doesn't seem to be listed in the files? There is farmlands, plains, steppe, forest, hills, jungle, desert, mountain, and arctic. Do non-coastal marshes just never naturally prosper? Seems very odd if arctic does.

Hey so I understand that random yearly prosperity gain for non-crown focus provinces is based on terrain, but I'm a little confused about how marsh doesn't seem to be listed in the files? There is farmlands, plains, steppe, forest, hills, jungle, desert, mountain, and arctic. Do non-coastal marshes just never naturally prosper? Seems very odd if arctic does.

If I'm not mistaken, marshes were added very late, after Reaper's Due, so it's most likely older content was never updated to take it into account.

How do I find a specific event, if I have it's ID and text ?

Using search (both Win7 and third party) yields nothing.

Is there an events_id.txt? They should be in there.
Found that, but it only makes things more confusing. It says 68000 - 68999 are unused, which means the smuggler events are unused (68020, 68021), but that is not correct, since I had the first event (but never the second).
It would be better if I could find the actual event, not just some index number.

How do I find a specific event, if I have it's ID and text ?

Using search (both Win7 and third party) yields nothing.
If you're sure of the ID then search the events subfolder (eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II\events ) for that ID, being sure to search "file contents". If the event has a namespace then you can narrow your search results by searching for namespace.ID (eg. HF.1000).

If you want to work from the event text, choose 3-4 sequential words that seem fairly unique to the event (and that aren't dynamic replacements, eg. his/her, titles, nicknames, etc) and search file contents in the localisation folder (eg. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crusader Kings II\localisation ). When you find the exact event text you're looking for, the localisation key is at the start of the line. You can then search the events folder for that localisation key to find the event code (see above).

NB: Windows search is a bit useless sometimes (in my experience, it sometimes doesn't find things which it should), which is why I use Notepad++'s "find in files" feature. (If you're looking at lots of events/scripts, and maybe eventually modding, then I recommend you get a "proper" text editor like Notepad++, rather than relying on built-in Windows apps.)

• 1Like
Reactions:
NB: Windows search is a bit useless sometimes (in my experience, it sometimes doesn't find things which it should), which is why I use Notepad++'s "find in files" feature. (If you're looking at lots of events/scripts, and maybe eventually modding, then I recommend you get a "proper" text editor like Notepad++, rather than relying on built-in Windows apps.)
Yup, this was the problem. I actually tried searching with Windows search and a third party search, but only your suggestion worked.

Found the events I wanted to look through and while I can't debug vanilla myself (that would disable achievements), at least I saw there being additional triggers for it that I knew not of.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yup, this was the problem. I actually tried searching with Windows search and a third party search, but only your suggestion worked.

Found the events I wanted to look through and while I can't debug vanilla myself (that would disable achievements), at least I saw there being additional triggers for it that I knew not of.
The Windows search function is actually pretty great and fast (I used it all the time for CK2 and CK3), but you have to manually add the folders to be indexed. In Windows 10 you do this through "Indexing Options"* (you can just type it into the start menu) and add the folders from there. Once Windows has indexed them you'll be good to go. Makes life a lot easier when you search for things in the game files a lot (which I tend to do). :)

Just be careful not to add too many irrelevant folders, or you may end up with a lot of irrelevant results when you search.

*I don't know how to do it in other Windows versions.