• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #56 - Cultures and Religions

Steam.jpg

Hello there! My name is Alex and I’m part of the QA team working on Victoria 3! I’m a relatively recent addition to the team, having only joined around March this year. Despite that, it has already been an incredible ride to see the game progress since then! Enough of that though, because today the topic at hand is something you likely have heard a lot about in previous dev diaries but that still deserves its own introduction: Cultures and Religions.

As you probably already know from one of our very first dev diaries, pops have a series of aspects that define and group them. These include where the pops live, what profession they have and what building they work in. On top of that, pops are also defined by their cultural and religious background.

When hovering a culture you get all kinds of data you might find useful, like in this example of the Japanese Pop culture (not to be confused with Japanese pop culture which would much later take the world by storm) tooltip
DD56_1.jpg

Cultures and religions in Victoria 3 are closely related and a central concept of what makes the game work. At their core, both of them work by having a set of traits that define how closely-related different cultures and religions are. These traits are what determine if a culture or religion will be accepted or discriminated against based on the different laws you might have in your country. As an example, both Catholicism and Protestantism have the Christian trait, meaning that they accept each other under the Freedom of Conscience law – which requires a shared trait between the religions - but not under the State Religion law – a law under which only pops of the state religion are accepted. The last alternative is of course the Total Separation law which accepts all religions no matter what traits they have..

The world has many cultures and traditions to get to know and learn more about.
DD56_2.jpg

Cultures work slightly differently. For one, you have descriptive traits such as which language a culture generally speaks, i.e. lusophone or hispanophone. You also have a special kind of trait called heritage which generally describes very broadly where a certain culture originated from geographically. Some laws specifically require cultures to share a heritage with the primary cultures for them to be accepted, such as National Supremacy and Racial Segregation. There’s also Cultural Exclusion which requires at least a single trait to be shared for the culture to be accepted. Finally, Multiculturalism accepts all cultures regardless of traits.

Maybe your ideal run is to achieve prosperity as an independent Greenland where the Inuit culture gets to decide its own destiny.
DD56_3.jpg

Closely tied to cultures and religions are the concepts of taboos and obsessions. Both of these affect, either negatively or positively, how much Pops are willing to pay for and consume certain goods. As such, both taboos and obsessions only apply to consumer goods as opposed to military or industrial goods (so no tank obsessions, sorry). Obsessions are tied to cultures, for instance the French culture being obsessed with wine or the Nepali with tea. As you might have guessed, taboos on the other hand are tied to religions. Importantly though, they still manifest themselves culturally. Every culture has a religion tied to it and “inherits” the taboos from that religion. This means that a catholic turkish pop will still have a taboo against wine and liquor for instance.

The Nepali know Tea is the superior hot drink and not that bitter bean juice people call coffee.
DD56_4.jpg

Another difference between obsessions and taboos is that while taboos don’t change throughout the game, obsessions are more fleeting and can emerge organically or be removed in case something significant happens, like the Opium Crisis for instance. If a certain good is abundantly available in a market, the Pops in that market have a small chance of becoming obsessed with it.

A prominent leader of the Comanche, Puhihwitsikwasu, or Iron Jacket for the uncultured Europeans, gets some impressive culturally defined clothes and headdress.
DD56_5.jpg

Cultures and religions touch on most of the game’s mechanics in one way or another as can be seen from previous dev diaries. From mechanics related to secessions, migrations and unifications all the way to discrimination, political strength and conversion/assimilation. Cultures are also tied to visual changes such as the appearance of characters. When playing Victoria 3, you will often be thinking about cultures in one way or another.

On top of all that, it might interest some of you that cultures and religions are very easily moddable to do what you want. Below you can find a quick Blorg culture mod I made with some details like localization files omitted. All in all a very simple process!

I’m fully expecting someone to make a “Blorg invasion from Outer Space” total conversion alt history mod now.
DD56_6.jpg

As you can see, the modding itself is very simple, even though I glossed over a few details like localization files and properly defining cultural traits as well as actually creating a Pop with the Blorg culture, but all of that is very straight forward.

DD56_7.jpg

DD56_8.jpg

That’s all for me folks! Exciting times are ahead of us and I’m looking forward to having you all play the game when it’s finally time. Until then maybe I’ll see you at our first upcoming stream next week or maybe even at PDXCON? Either way, next time Mikael will tell you a bit more about The Journey so Far!

• 147Like
  • 30Love
Reactions:
The previous Dev diary about assimilation didn't answer the question why turning an accepted pop into a primary pop is at all desirable as there seems to be no difference unless you intend to switch towards more restrictive laws in the future.
Maybe you could enlighten us.

Also, is there any mechanism related to the huge missionary endeavours of the era that turned half of Africa Christian or lead to the Taiping rebellion?

• 7Like
Reactions:
Will taboos simply apply to consumption or will it also affect AI as far as industry focus and/or unrest modifiers? It would seem to be unrealistic to have a country become a major producer of taboo goods for export without any societal implications from the workers making the goods or IGs opposing the presence of these factories. The current system accurately models for lack of consumption aspect of taboos but does it do anything to replicate the societal disdain aspect?

• 8Like
Reactions:
It seems that Spanish cultures have been fixed!

Thank you devs for listening to the community feedback. You are the best!
La Rioja/Logroño is still shown as a Basque territory, though (because it's inside the Basque Country-Navarra state, probably). Moving it to Old Castile would solve this issue, and would make more sense historically speaking.

1661443909023.png

Also, I'm worried about the considerable lack of regional minorities within Anatolia (besides the Kurds); no Anatolian/Pontic Greeks (not even in Trabzon or Izmir), Armenians (not even arround Van), or Lazs?

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Kinda hoped for some information on how Devout IG varies by religions. Do they have different bonuses, different preferences for laws, etc. Outside discrimination mechanic and taboos, we've not heard much about religions in the game.

• 4Like
Reactions:
If a new religion becomes dominant, does the taboo change accordingly or does it stay with whatever it was defined as in the culture?

For example, if the majority of Blorg were to become Sunni instead of Friendship, would the taboo change from Clothes to Wine and Liquor?

• 12Like
Reactions:
Could we mod a military good to be an obsession?

• 1Like
Reactions:
What is this non-sence? Why Rostov-on-Don and a bit of Central Russia has Ukrainian culture? Why Novorosiya Governorate is Ukrainian in 1836? As an ethnic Ukrainian I feel a bit offended of how lazy it is.

1661444843655.png

• 4Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
What is this non-sence? Why Rostov-on-Don and a bit of Central Russia has Ukrainian culture? Why Novorosiya Governorate is Ukrainian in 1836? As an ethnic Ukrainian I feel a bit offended of how lazy it is.

That's not how it works. You are supposed to demand outrageous imperialist claims for your ethnicity in those forums so that others may downvote you.

Silesia, Slovakia and Sorbia should be 100% ethnically pure Czech culture!?!!!!!!!!!!!! Paradox discriminate against Czechs! Outrageous! Me sue!

See? This is how you do it.

• 57Haha
Reactions:
Occitan in 1836 ? Not against, it's kind of correct but surprising when there are no Andalusians, Sardinians, Sicilians or Cornish.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Also, I'm worried about the considerable lack of regional minorities within Anatolia (besides the Kurds); no Anatolian/Pontic Greeks (not even in Trabzon or Izmir), Armenians (not even arround Van), or Lazs?
I get the feeling that this is because the majority is shown by State instead of by province (remember, Vicky 3 doesn't track provinces) so the map mode is a lot coarser than other games like Vicky 2 and CK3. What's happening here is that the Turkish majority in most of Anatolia is spreading to any parts that would be Greek or Armenian majority, and the Ukrainian majority around Rostov and Azov wins out over the Russian majority in the rest of the state those cities are in.

Edit: This would also explain the Breton majority in Nantes, the Basque majority in La Rioja, and the German majority in Upper Silesia.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I see there are still problems in the grammar here, unless you're using old screenshots. You need to add a preposition to 'discriminated', i.e. 'discriminated against'. Also, that should be 'Primary Culture', not 'Primary Cultures' - even if Sweden has multiple Primary Cultures the Blorg will never be more than one of them.

1661445058496.png

Thanks for the DD, it was short but useful.
One question: can a culture have more than one Heritage? E.g. you might say that the Lebanese, standing as they do between East and West, should have both European and Arabic Heritages. Or the Manchu might have both Chinese and Steppe Nomad Heritages.

edit: I see I've got a couple of dislikes. Interesting. If one of the grammar errors is actually just an Americanism, could an American say so in a reply? I did check Merriam-Webster re. 'discriminated' (since I've been burned by that before :p), but it seemed to agree with me.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Clothes taboo for the Blorg huh? Well with how important the textile industry was to industrialization, they're not catching up to Great Britain any time soon :p

More seriously though, it got me thinking: There ARE some cultures that historically wear little clothing compared to Europeans, e.g. Polynesians or Khoi-San. While I don't think they had an active taboo against conservative clothing, that does seem a good mechanic to represent how there was much lower demand for it anyway compared to the rest of the world.

Reactions:
Why is bosnia all serbian? What about the Bosniaks and croats ?
It only shows largest culture (I think). Though I sure as hell don't konw if that was the largest culture fo the tate or not. Keep in mind that states in game might cause sort of "gerrymandering" effects since they can consist of areas where dffierent cultures are dominant being smashed togheter into one state where one culture will naturally be larger then the other..

• 3Like
Reactions:
Inuit should probably have cultural traits tying them to Yupik and Chukchi cultures, not to Indigenous American cultures. The Arctic cultures have very little in common with the Indigenous cultures to the south of them, are descended from a different wave of Siberian migrants that crossed the Bering Strait thousands/tens of thousands of years later, and their languages have no recognized connection to any other Indigenous languages.

Reactions: