• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #103: Summer Break

Greetings!

Summer is upon us, and with Fate of Iberia and the 1.6.1 update(s) (note: another small fix update will be released this week), we feel confident that the game is in a good place where it can be enjoyed over the break! (As always, keep those reports up if you find an issue) Soon we’ll all be out enjoying the beautiful Swedish summer, taking some well-deserved rest, and recharging for the time ahead!

As mentioned in Dev Diary 100, we have big and small plans, some of which will be revealed later this year. We’re very excited to see what you think, but we can’t say anything yet!

From this point onwards we will not have any regularly scheduled Dev Diaries until we’re all back! There may be a small dev diary here and there, but no promises. We’ll be back before the end of August.

If you want to keep discussing the game over the break, head over to our Discord. Also, note that we’ll have videos every Wednesday and Friday throughout the summer, mostly of the DevClash that wrapped up recently.

Before we leave you for the summer, did you know that we added several historical figures that can appear under the right circumstances? Here’s an overview written by Ola, known as @Vaniljkaka here on the forums!

Abbas ibn Firnas (~810-887), known in Latin as Armen Firman, was an Andalusian polymath. Sources claim that he made an attempt at flight by jumping from a tower in Córdoba clad in a loose cloak stiffened with wooden struts. For this, he got immortalized, and now has a statue outside Baghdad’s airport. Though Ibn Firnas would be alive in our 867 bookmark, you’ll only encounter him if the right event fires.

al-Zahrawi (936–1013), known as Albucasis in Latin, was one of the greatest surgeons of the Middle Ages, and court physician to the caliph in Córdoba. If you manage to encounter him in the game (you’ll need some luck for this, and an event about medicine…), he’ll even tell you an anecdote from his career.

Ibn al-Wafid (997 – 1074), known as Abenguefith in Latin, was a pharmacist and agronomist in Toledo in the middle of the 11th century. Historical sources claim that he was a pupil of al-Zahrawi, but this seems improbable, as al-Zahrawi died before 1013. Ibn al-Wafid is a great court physician if you play emir Yahya in the Rags to Riches bookmark.

Al-Zarkali (1029-1100), known in Latin as Arzachel, was a craftsman and astronomer based in Toledo. He fled the city when Castille conquered it in 1085. His work formed part of the basis for the Toledan Tables, a set of astronomical tables that were later translated into Latin by Gerard of Cremona. He is in the court of Toledo in the 1066 start.

Joseph ibn Nagrela (1035-1066), also known as Joseph ha-Nagid, was vizier to the incompetent, alcoholic emir Badis of Granada. Ibn Nagrela belonged to a prominent lineage of Sephardic Jews; his father Samuel was a famous scholar, warrior, and poet. Ibn Nagrela was the chief victim of the Granada Massacre in December 1066, crucified by an angry mob for supposedly trying to usurp the throne. However, our game begins in January 1066, so perhaps he will fare better in this history…

Ibn Zuhr (1094-1162), known in Latin as Avenzoar, was a physician and poet, who seems to have had a dramatic fallout with one of his employers, the Almoravid ruler. This fallout was very much the inspiration for one of the events in Struggle for Iberia…

Ibn Tufail (1105 – 1185), known in Latin as Abubacer Aben Tofail, was a physician, novelist, and astronomer, among other things. He was quite keen on autopsies, as you’ll notice if you encounter him, which will require the right event at the right time.

Gerard of Cremona (~1114-1187) was an Italian translator of scientific books from Arabic into Latin, active in the kingdom of Castille. After the fall of Toledo, his work was instrumental in making Arabic knowledge available to the Western European intellectual sphere, ushering in the “Renaissance of the Twelfth Century”. Gerard can be encountered if you get an appropriate event during the years when he was active - make sure that conciliation is the prevailing mood in Iberia!

Ibn Rushd (1126-1198), known in Latin as Averroes, was a polymath and jurist and one of the most influential intellectuals of the Middle Ages, with a whole school of thought, averroism, that bears his name. In his youth, he seems to have been a pupil of both Ibn Zuhr and Ibn Tufail. There seem to be claims that he experimented with flight, just like ibn Firnas. Though he is very famous, he lived after our game’s current bookmark dates, and you’ll only encounter him with a bit of luck through an event in the right time period…

Qasmuna (11th-12th century) was a female Sephardi poet. Some of her poems are preserved, but little is known of her life. However, there is a theory that she was the sister of Joseph ibn Nagrela. I chose to go with this, since it made their family tree more interesting and allowed us to include her in the game. You’ll likely find her with her brother in the court of Granada.

We are excited to come back refreshed and relaxed after vacation, and resume working on the game that we all know and love! Until August, goodbye!

• 72Like
  • 7Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
are you kidding me? the biggest bug is still not gone. load up 867 novgorod and you will see you cant "conquest county or duchies" CB of non adjacent until you change to a certain religion. Oh well I was too late with the reminder.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Hello, sad to hear that there will be no more crashfix for a month.

Actually your game crash on all plateforms, you should look on steam forums, bug report here and everywhere. Steam, Playstation, MAC, there is crashes complaints everywhere.

I had a lot of crashes on 1.6.0 and 1.6.0.1 but the game could still be played 2h without crashes with twists. Right now since 1.6.1 whenever i try to load or start a new game your game just crash. I can't even start a new game. I can't even play your game. Yes i reinstalled game as usual, deleted ck3 save repo, verified integrity on steam, etc. I did not bother write a bug report because there is already dozen of reports like me.

I hope someday Paradox will just put some effort on stabilizing their games ...

I played CK3 and the launch for countless hours without any crash. 4 DLC later i can't even start a game what a shame.

Happy holidays, a fan who can't play your game.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Great!
Arabs did many wonderful things in the middle ages which is the golden age of them!
This is just a very few about them! hope we see more, Great work.

• 9Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Have a great summer break. Thanks for your hard work.

Reactions:
Woah 2 months of vacation. That is amazing. I've been with my company for 21 years and I'm a Sr. IT director and I get 4 weeks a year total. LOL.

• 5Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
I was hoping for bugfixes before break :( I think game is less stable now. I'm not playing waiting for fixed Canarias (decion is bugged).

We have a small update planned for this week to address some of the more critical issues being reported.

Really great have an nice holiday while the Consol edition PS5 is still unplayable 4 months after release well priorities
Yes, definitely PS players can keep patient and waiting, without any complain about invalid saving file destroying game experience. How you guys know we LOVE it!

While I understand your frustrations here, please keep in mind that this dev diary is only applicable to the PC version of the game. Our Console Edition is developed by a separate team and isn't affected by the summer break.

• 5Like
Reactions:
  • 10Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
:eek: I know a guy that made a fantastic Mod for that! :D

As a born and raised Texan, the Swedish lifestyle is also very jarring and unusual to me.
I'm in Texas as well. Honestly, I don't mind working. I think my 4 weeks is enough for me in a year. I usually take one week every quarter and then we have some personal days for sickness and stuff. Coming up in the industry (oil and gas) we only started with 2 weeks of time off. LOL, anyway I work a ton but I get paid well so I'm good!

Thanks for the games and all of you enjoy your time off.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm in Texas as well. Honestly, I don't mind working. I think my 4 weeks is enough for me in a year. I usually take one week every quarter and then we have some personal days for sickness and stuff. Coming up in the industry (oil and gas) we only started with 2 weeks of time off. LOL, anyway I work a ton but I get paid well so I'm good!

Thanks for the games and all of you enjoy your time off.
I think one of the main reasons Americans react so badly to your Summer Break Announcements is that we're insanely jealous. Two months of Leave? Is it also Paid Leave?

Sometimes getting even unpaid Leave feels a lot like extracting teeth without anesthesia in the US. So glad you guys have it better...

• 3Haha
Reactions:

Actually your game crash on all plateforms, you should look on steam forums, bug report here and everywhere. Steam, Playstation, MAC, there is crashes complaints everywhere.

I had a lot of crashes on 1.6.0 and 1.6.0.1 but the game could still be played 2h without crashes with twists. Right now since 1.6.1 whenever i try to load or start a new game your game just crash. I can't even start a new game. I can't even play your game. Yes i reinstalled game as usual, deleted ck3 save repo, verified integrity on steam, etc. I did not bother write a bug report because there is already dozen of reports like me.

I hope someday Paradox will just put some effort on stabilizing their games ...

I played CK3 and the launch for countless hours without any crash. 4 DLC later i can't even start a game what a shame.

Happy holidays, a fan who can't play your game.
Have you approached the tech support forum?

Or are you complaining about a problem that you haven't even tried to get a solution to? Remember not all crashes will be caused by the same problems, so a crash presented by one person won't necessarily have the same reasons as your crash.

Are you using any mods? If your mods haven't updated they might cause the crashes.
Are you affected by the acknowledged problem that they had in 1.6.0? https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/cpu-support-issue-for-fate-of-iberia.1529667/

• 2Like
Reactions: