• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Gardiola21185

Recruit
Jun 28, 2022
I've watched several podcasts on the game for hints and tips but I'm unable to adjust Traffic flow on roundabouts/junctions etc....... Everyone uses the same lane for turning resulting in uncontrollable queues. I'm playing on PS4. How do I fix this issue or is the ability not available on the PS4 version.
Assistance Required please

Easy dude, im in same boat with xbone,
I'd type out full solutions but just this month we here have helped people with same question. Its a common question, particularly with vanila/console
Check my stream / saved video on CSL,
My new bit rate is fixed at 4.5mbs not 1.5 (default since twitch app update - no more haze on scroll)

Links here
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/to-grid-or-not-to-grid.1522962/
the guy that posts right after me on this topic explains things perfectly, his tree explaination was great
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/no-goods-to-seel-persists-and-expands-again.1522564/
Someone we help regular
That is just 2 posts there is many more, just in last 6 months

In short, remove all traffic lights, (hold Y / triangle with nothing selected, the option is at the 3oclock position)
Space out your junctions
Rail your freight, a full ring of rail Visiting all your industry zones will demolish your traffic
Pay close attention to the tree analigy use in post above, lose the get anywhere from anywhere grid <<-- this 1 in particular
Use rail and metro, separate line to freight, use buses in quite res areas to get the spuds to the rail
Lookup road hierarchy, re second link
Use ferrys if you have water
Reduce the angle of entrance to roundabouts by spliting end of large roads into 2 oneways
Paths, lots of them. My lot walk through parks to get to work

Dlc
Indy dlc gives warehouses, makes trips shorter
Snowfall gives trams - traffic mass murderers

Youtube
Use the service interchange from overcharged egg, no clog - ever (it solves the turning across traffic issue)
I think yumble has just done a new video on interchange spacing, not seen it yet but his stuff pretty good
Biffa does much work with traffic also

Last edited:
Man, that's almost of info for just the 1 problem. My City has over 70,000 in it. I already have successfully running bus/train/metro systems. Also Passenger/Cargo airports. The only thing I can't get the cars to do is use all lanes available at junctions.

sry i missed 1 vanilla hack,
Lane maths off Highways / large roads

So when you pull 2 lanes off a highway reduce the number of lanes on the "through" until 2 lanes join back to 4
If you were using a 3 lane HW up it to 4 one or two nodes before interchange
I some times do same on roundabouts but it looks silly without move it to make it less wiggly
I know ive shown off my stack in my video, pause video and you will see it in action
Asymetric roads are good for this, as are indy roads good for some roundabouts as their speed is slower

Frozen falls is about 63k pop. Once i replace and move that service interchange the city would take another 20k pop and honestly id still have no traffic
Ive got 3 patches of "traffic" in my entire city
Consider a relief interchange near a trouble interchange, i refer you to yumbles latest vid, or slip roads on/off
It could be more to do with your import/exports, centralisation of production/consumption, lack of office, or the consentrations/locality of these things
My paths / trams are my ugly stick 1.2k on trains 3.4 on trams. Fully intergrated
Metro/subway is my ace in hole and should get me to 120k, and then i run out of space cause its all parks and waterfalls

Now i think my solution bank is empty but others do pop in and help
Piccys/videos, imp/ex, mass transit numbers will be needed for more than that
But i give you everything cause very few interchanges actually need 2 lanes, so its more than just they wont use all lanes

Last edited:
I've watched several podcasts on the game for hints and tips but I'm unable to adjust Traffic flow on roundabouts/junctions etc....... Everyone uses the same lane for turning resulting in uncontrollable queues. I'm playing on PS4. How do I fix this issue or is the ability not available on the PS4 version.
Assistance Required please
If you're having one-lane backups, that is usually causes from too much traffic and the game throttles them to one lane, so others can bypass in other lanes.

If you allow other entrances in and out of the district, then it should offset traffic to other areas and free up the problematic district and they will start using other lanes more frequently.

Part of the problem is growing too fast at a slow speed. The game will allow you to expand as your city matures. When this happens, you get traffic build up. Your old district is still maturing causing buildings to level up. When they level up, they call in more demands and it will keep traffic high.

Try to get your district at mostly maximum level (more than 50% fully maxed) and traffic should subside as there is no more demand for traffic.

Just remember that residential needs education to level up your buildings. And education takes years to fully educate your cims. so it can take a while for your districts to mature.

If this is happening in an industrial area, then you could be just importing and exporting too much for your roads to handle. Then you can reduce unnecessary factories so you can balance out the imports/exports. They should be close to zero as possible.

Maybe post some pictures of your areas. Have the RCI zoning up, so we can see the zones coloring to distinguish the districts more clearly. Don't zoom in too closely, especially on an intersection clogged with traffic. We already know you have traffic issues.

Man, that's almost of info for just the 1 problem. My City has over 70,000 in it. I already have successfully running bus/train/metro systems. Also Passenger/Cargo airports. The only thing I can't get the cars to do is use all lanes available at junctions.

if all your vehicles are in one lane then they all want to make their next turn in that direction. they plan their route in advance and it doesn't change during the trip unless it has to e,.g. a road's destroyed.

so you need to be mindful of this when planning your road network.

Reactions:
This above is solved by using "lane maths"
So if you have a 1 way 6 lane road heading into a Large Roundabout which also has all lanes going the 1 direction.
There is no reason for all vehicles to use the 1 lane and that's because all lanes turn into the Roundabout the one way. So all 6 lanes are a left turn onto the roundabout. How does "lane maths" help with this?

Vehicles only switch lanes when they need to, so if all lanes in the roundabout go to the same places, they won't get used. When a roundabout has some lanes which do not continue round, vehicles existing the roundabout and vehicles continuing in the roundabout will pick different lanes.

I don't know how your exact situation looks, but here's one roundabout in my city, that wasn't able to handle the traffic coming through it (on the left) and some changes using roads with different amounts of lanes to give vehicles more options (on the left). In this situation, a regular cross intersection with lights also worked fine, but the larger roundabout works better than anything I've had in this spot.

Screenshot 92.png

Reactions:
So if you have a 1 way 6 lane road heading into a Large Roundabout which also has all lanes going the 1 direction.
There is no reason for all vehicles to use the 1 lane and that's because all lanes turn into the Roundabout the one way. So all 6 lanes are a left turn onto the roundabout. How does "lane maths" help with this?

If you're specifically talking about roundabouts, then roundabouts aren't a problem. They only have one option. turn right out of the roundabout.

Your problem lies past the roundabout where it is going to its destination. Likely a new district you are creating. So all of your unemployed cims are following the the same path going to this destination. It sounds like your destination is on a somewhat dead end area, so everyone can only get there from one direction. Eventually you get too much traffic (especially if roundabouts are slowing them down.)

Roundabouts in real life, are meant to impede traffic. It is designed to prevent deaths. They act as a slow down as you have to make a sharp turn at each intersection, plus it won't let you make a left turn and cross over to oncoming traffic. I never ever use roundabouts in my city, they slow things too much and can cause delays. Since everything in this game is on a timer, and bad things happen when they are late, I try avoiding anything that slows down my cims.

You can use priority roads options when clicking the street name and it will remove traffic signs on the main road with the name and make side traffic have to wait more often, so traffic can flow smoother and more quickly on the main road.

You can also use the traffic routes button in info views at the front of the jam, and it will show you where traffic is coming from and going to, so you can have a clearer picture of what traffic is wanting to do, and the type of traffic that is mainly arriving.

But, if you want specific help, you need to post screenshots of your city in the effected area(s), so we can see what the areas are doing and why they are driving the way they are driving. We can't help you if all we can do is guess what your problems are. Just take many screen shots from different angles so we can see better what is going on.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
They're actually designed to allow a constant flow of traffic at big junctions, but OK.

Conditionally, they can help. Realistically, they always slow you down, no exception. You can't go around at 35+ MPH, you must slow down 20-25 MPH. and slower, as you need to allow other traffic into the roundabout.

We have them in a lot of places in our city. During rush hour, they work great, even if they are much slower, the other 20+ hours they are a nuisance. But they definitely save lives. I rarely see an accident except a minor fender bender, compared to a late night drunken driver trying to beat the left turn light and get broadsided by on-coming traffic and someone going to the hospital, or worse.

Y would you ever need 6 lianes 1 way. 3 at most cause thats basically a HW and really should be an over pass
2 as an entrance into 3 lane roundabout is perfect, use 1 lane in the on off beams,
So at busier roundabouts id split a 4 lane into 2X 1 ways
and between the off and on , id lower the lanes to 1 lane thats on a 3lan HW roundabout

The split can almost reach the next split and make a very high capacity island
I do this to reduce angle, and keep speed
The stretches of 1 lane make arrows behave
Dont forget cyclists and pedestrians wont use hw roundabouts

Last edited:
Reactions:
Vehicles only switch lanes when they need to, so if all lanes in the roundabout go to the same places, they won't get used. When a roundabout has some lanes which do not continue round, vehicles existing the roundabout and vehicles continuing in the roundabout will pick different lanes.

I don't know how your exact situation looks, but here's one roundabout in my city, that wasn't able to handle the traffic coming through it (on the left) and some changes using roads with different amounts of lanes to give vehicles more options (on the left). In this situation, a regular cross intersection with lights also worked fine, but the larger roundabout works better than anything I've had in this spot.

View attachment 854628
i like the compactness here,
the asymetric road, the 2 patches of 1 lane

They're actually designed to allow a constant flow of traffic at big junctions, but OK.
and due to the way the work any spills are at relatively low speed / combined speed
You only have to look 1 way