• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is all very unexpected and very much appreciated. It is nice to know that the work of us toiling away in what the Awards call the "Other" category can still get these awards.
For my pick, I would like to again nominate 'The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR' by @El Pip , which is still ongoing over a decade after its creation. I remember reading it some years ago and was pleasantly surprised to find out that it is still ongoing and as good as ever. @El Pip 's attention to detail and willingness to touch on technical issues is impressive, well appreciated, and, frankly, amazing. The amount of effort that goes into that story constantly astounds me and I applaud the author. I also appreciate that I can read an AAR and learn about oil chemistry at the same time.
This is a much more glowing nomination than I got last time, which was @Jape declaring it "an insane project of terrifying detail in the HOI2 sub-forum that refuses to die, and thank god for that!" To be fair things have only got more detailed and technical since then so I can't really say he was wrong, but I do much prefer your choice of words and I sincerely thank you for the nomination.

An excellent choice
Inded.
Well done @El Pip ! I believe you now hold the record for showcases for a work so far apart. Looks like 2014 was the last time (if I'm reading the first post correctly.)
That is how I read it as well, which I think is very much appropriate for an AAR which has been in progress for considerably longer than the period it claims to be covering. ;)
Congrats @El Pip! :D I must admit that I'm quite impressed by your perseverance; that AAR has been going on about as long as I can remember. I've occasionally worked up the steam to make a start on this one, but it seems I always lose my place and have to start over again...
I am assured it is absolutely worth the effort to catchup.
DYAEiOu.gif

Thanks!
An excellent choice, especially as the author has managed of late to produce at a stately pace several excellent updates! Congratulations are of course the order of the day for @El Pip !
Belated congratulations to @Zeogludon and hearty congratulations to @El Pip ! Look what happens when you pick up the pace!
You may have a point on this, perhaps some sort of regular schedule of updating may be beneficial. Now if I can just convince the Pippettes to allow me regular writing time we may be onto something...
Congratulations @El Pip. It says a lot about your character to be willing to dedicate over eight years of your life to a project on these forums. Thank you sir, for everything that you do and represent.
If only it was as little as 8 years. Chapter 1 of Butterfly Effect was posted in January 2006, so it's more like 16 and a half years at this point. :eek: I'd probably still research and write it even if no-one read it at this point, but it is so much easier if there are readers to discuss things with, point out problems and bounce ideas around with. And of course awards to win and spotlights to luxuriate in! :D

Thank you again everyone, I shall bask in the glow of this win until the weekend and then return to name my successor.

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congratulations Pip! An always-deserved candidate for these awards.

Reactions:
Congrats @El Pip - all power to the 'other', brother! ;)

• 4Like
Reactions:
As my week comes to an end and the last round of congratulations appreciated and acknowledged it is time to consider my successor. There are many options of course, even once one thins out those nominated too recently. I was tempted to nominate a HOI2 work just to show certain sub-forumites what it is like when an award stays stuck in the same game, but one most rise above such poor unfortunates and not be dragged down to their level. That said, I do love a technicality and there is a HOI3 work definitely deserving of the Showcase award, HOI3 absolutely being a different game from HOI2. ;)

It is a recent AAR barely started a week ago but already an interesting read about a country that doesn't get much coverage in most works, probably because it is normally doomed to go out with a whimper not a bang. But our brave author has set himself the target of defying that fate, getting in some excellent history and photographs, and telling an interesting tale at the same time. So for excellent writing in the face of a terrible fate I would like to nominate King of Kings - An Iran HPP AAR by @RustyHunter . Congratulations Rusty, may Persia stay un-occupied and un-annexed!

• 2Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hope that goes well then, and congrats to RustyHunter!

• 1Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Thank you very much @El Pip ! I was not expecting this at all, and I really appreciate it! I hope it continues to be a fun read, and I always look forward to people's comments.

Thanks also to @TheButterflyComposer , @Bullfilter , and @Midnite Duke !

choose a HoI1 or HoI4 work. (Is this any recent HoI1 works or does anyone still play the game?)
HOI1 seems a bit dead, and I know El Pip's feelings on HOI4, so maybe a nice HOI2 DH or continue the HOI3 incest? I'll have to do some thinking about this weighty decision.

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
A weighty decision indeed. Fortunately, you have the whole week to determine the outcome! Congratulations, @RustyHunter !

As an aside, Happy Father's Day to all to whom it applies!

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Many congratulations @RustyHunter ! King of Kings is indeed excellent stuff.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks @Wraith11B , @HistoryDude , @Idhrendur , and @DensleyBlair!

My week in the sun has come to an end, and I've decided to pass this along to @Bullfilter and his latest work, Poles Apart - an HOI4 Ahistory. The Hearts of Iron incest continues, although this time it goes to the one some of us prefer not to discuss. It is just started up and has Bullfilter's characteristic excellent writing and interesting commentary, so I highly recommend it.

• 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Thank you so much for this mention @RustyHunter :) - always really nice to get a boost along for a new AAR so early on.

For those who may want to tune in, I am posting the second chapter shortly. And I'm keeping them all length-limited, to make them (hopefully) easier and quicker to read, with a cycle of about 7-10 days between updates. The focus is set to non-historical, so chaos beckons! ;)

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Indeed, well done

• 2Like
Reactions:
Hooray! Another @Bullfilter special. Looking forward to getting into it.

• 2Like
Reactions: