Idea to Give More Flavour to the Game

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

adski42

Captain
53 Badges
Jul 10, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Empire of Sin
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Surviving Mars
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
I'm currently reading 'Big Week' by James Holland and it has nicely coincided with the announcement of the HOI4 air rework. This has got me thinking about strat bombing and how to add more flavour. As well as HOI4 I play CK3 a lot, a game rich in local flavour and one of the ways this is done is with unique buildings.

My idea is therefore this: certain historically vital sites have a unique building. This building gives bonuses to the host faction, but can be damaged through bombing and thus the bonus is reduced proportionately. These key sites would be things like the Schweinfurt ball bearing factory, which might give an x% boost to aircraft production for example.

These would be prime targets to bomb due to the bonuses they convey, but they'd also be areas that players would have to prioritise for defence.

What do you think?

• 2Like
Reactions:
monuments in hoi4???? blasphemy!

But who knows... If done correctly I suppose it would be interesting.
I just fear a EU4 situation where monuments are either too op, or totally worthless.

Reactions:
Air mission targeting is only on the granularity of an air zone, so it seems hard to encourage deliberate attacks on Schweinfurt or Ploesti. I assume the monument bonuses are lost if you lose the land province to enemy armies. Of course, players can choose where to build their factories, so it might be possible that the location isn't fixed, but the site of the monument is determined by the concentrations of industry that develop, though that does run counter to the historical flavor goal.

In the spirit of avoiding new coding, you could perhaps add "critical hit" events to strat bombing. Bomb Western Germany; the intensity of bombing creates some probability of hitting a vital spot, and if the bombers get lucky, trigger the "Schweinfurt Destroyed" event, imposing a penalty on production for some length of time that represents rebuilding and recovering from the loss. Reduce the chances of crits with dispersed industry, increase them for concentrated. Might add some "crit fails" for the bombers, too, so you can generate Black Thursdays that inflict unusually heavy losses.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I know it's less flavorful, but besides existing production facilities, I don't see why any given strategic target is different than a state that a player builds like 8 civilian or military factories in. Unless the devs decided they really wanted to do a patch/expansion focused on beefing up the economic side of things (unlikely), I doubt there's anyway this could result in a feature that's anything other than tedious and/or broken, as Bastian said. Not to mention I'd rather not have to pay for like a single .txt file of province modifiers...

Reactions:
I'm currently reading 'Big Week' by James Holland and it has nicely coincided with the announcement of the HOI4 air rework. This has got me thinking about strat bombing and how to add more flavour. As well as HOI4 I play CK3 a lot, a game rich in local flavour and one of the ways this is done is with unique buildings.

My idea is therefore this: certain historically vital sites have a unique building. This building gives bonuses to the host faction, but can be damaged through bombing and thus the bonus is reduced proportionately. These key sites would be things like the Schweinfurt ball bearing factory, which might give an x% boost to aircraft production for example.

These would be prime targets to bomb due to the bonuses they convey, but they'd also be areas that players would have to prioritise for defence.

What do you think?

I just fear a EU4 situation where monuments are either too op, or totally worthless.

I could definetly imagine it being, unlike CK's and EU4's momuments which are a bit gamey sometimes, in HoI buildings that model their actual historical importance to the war effort in a realistic way. Like you said, the ball-bearing factoriy in Sschweinfurt, the military headquarters (OKH) in Zossen Maybach I & II, the Telemark heavy water plant or the Plzen Skoda plant.

Sure, these could be represented by just plopping factories on the map but certain factories and command posts held such an importance that they could never have been replaced easily in a short amount of time, while being of vital importance to the owner.

As long as these building don't give any artificial boosts like "10% morale by stonehenge" or something, i could really see them as an asset to either protect, occupy or destroy as it happened historically as well.

Reactions:

What do you think?
There was something like that in HOI3 (maybe 2 but I'm sure 3), where certain regions had a unique resource of that type.

There was something like that in HOI3 (maybe 2 but I'm sure 3), where certain regions had a unique resource of that type.

Yep. Strategic resources are a feature from HOI3 I would love to see return. On map resources not used in production but granting a bonus to whoever controls them. Ballbearing plants were included if I recall correctly. I made a post on the suggestion forum a while back.

Monuments sound kinda cool

it would even be ok if all there was to it was a 3d model on the map for each major's capital (Kremlin, Leaning Tower of Pisa/ Colosseum, Big Ben, Eiffel Tower)

Reactions: