Would you be willing to pay for 3D/2D work done by modders

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Trinita132

First Lieutenant
6 Badges
Jul 16, 2013
Would you be willing to pay for 3D/2D work done by modders who would share the profits with Paradox?

A bit like Viking Conquest or the last DLCS of Arma 3.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Honestly I'm kind of against the whole 'paid mods' thing ever since bethesda tried it for a number of reasons. Money tends to ruin things; it's' no longer a passion project by fans then, it's a business. It makes things more competitive and cutthroat and less of a community. As a player and consumer I don't like it because I already feel nickle and dimed enough. Paradox is already largely critiqued for their DLC policy and I don't think adding potentially hundreds of items of additional paid dlc would really do anything to improve that perspective.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Community already can pay modders if they enjoy there content. It would be nice if corporations paid more respect to modders in general for allowing there games to live much past there self life. ( Not saying paradox more so in general.) But there is obvious negatives in giving clout to strangers on the internet. One of the most DL'd mods in Steam is called 99 Immersive screen shots for example. The maker of the mod gives credit to the artist and all that.

Reactions:
only if it's authorised e.g. Skylines' CCP's.

• 1Love
Reactions:
I guess I could pay for a maintained total conversion mod like Elder Kings or After the End. And when I say maintained, it means having the mod updated quickly after new updates, and without game-breaking bugs.
However I'm pretty sure that no-one involved (Paradox nor modders) would like that. Modders, because it would transform their fun side-activity into work with a lot of pressure and less freedom. Paradox, because they can't realistically offer official support to mods of famous franchises like Elder Scrolls and Game of Thrones, and beyond that they have no real reason to do that, since modders already mod.

Just 2d/3d art... I can see myself donating from time to time. But not paying to access the mod.

Reactions:
Nobody wants the fallout 4/skyrim creator workshop, but many people don't realize they've basically already bought paradox DLC made by modders. Not even mentioning all the ex modders hired by paradox one of the best EU4 music packs was made by a prominent modder or all the cities skylines dlc made by modders.

I won't pay for existing mods but if paradox teamed up with the creators of the Community Flavour pack for them to make more historical artifacts and courtrooms how could anyone turn that down? Their work is on par with paradox and could easily be hired to makes cosmetic packs. Even the concept behind RICE could be implemented.

Reactions:
I won't pay for existing mods but if paradox teamed up with the creators of the Community Flavour pack for them to make more historical artifacts and courtrooms how could anyone turn that down? Their work is on par with paradox and could easily be hired to makes cosmetic packs. Even the concept behind RICE could be implemented.
I was thinking about the Community Flavour Pack when I created this thread.

Money tends to ruin things; it's' no longer a passion project by fans then, it's a business. It makes things more competitive and cutthroat and less of a community.

I won't speak on behalf of modders, but let's be realistic. Money is the primary source of motivation for most human beings. The passion usually comes after.

I'm pretty sure that most modders working for free :

1-Count on the donations.
2-Rely on visibility to get a job.
3-Prepare a portfolio to get a job.
4-Improve their skills to get a job.

The common point between the 4 is money.

Personally, I believe that when you add the money parameter, you surpass yourself and It doesn't ruin anything.

-Paradox Interactive would get free money because It will have a share on each official content sold. This money could be spent to improve the game or to develop future gamess

-Customer would get high quality content in less time. We will not have to wait 10 years to get all the map covered with 3D/2D art. (High Quality Content becausse Paradox would only allow content that meet their quality criteria)

-Modders would get money and that's the best way to support them and to encourage them to continue their work.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I won't speak on behalf of modders, but let's be realistic. Money is the primary source of motivation for most human beings. The passion usually comes after.

It's not realistic in any way. You shouldn't believe what business schools taught. They know nothing about anthropology. ;)

Reactions:
I was thinking about the Community Flavour Pack when I created this thread.
I thought the same thing but I think you weren't clear enough and the rest of the thread thought of the horrific bethesda creator club.

It sucks how these massive companies implement things so poorly and greedily it spoils the whole concept.

Nah. When money gets involved, people treat it like a job. And like anything else, turning your hobby into a job will make you hate it within a month.
I'd rather it stayed as passion projects.

Reactions:
Would you be willing to pay for 3D/2D work done by modders who would share the profits with Paradox?
As a long time mod user and as a modder, no, no, no and hell no.

I'm sorry but no matter how you look at it, there is virtually 0 difference between a mod store and a microtransactions store, as the fact that the content is created by a paradox dev or a 3rd party is irelevant in this situation. And i consider the industry practice of adding microtransactions to an already priced game to be a horrible, vile thing.

I'm pretty sure that most modders working for free :

1-Count on the donations.
2-Rely on visibility to get a job.
3-Prepare a portfolio to get a job.
4-Improve their skills to get a job.

The common point between the 4 is money.

Personally, I believe that when you add the money parameter, you surpass yourself and It doesn't ruin anything.

I won't speak for other modders either but i will speak for myself, someone who probably spent a few hundred hours working on the heightmap and a few 3D models for EK2 and i believe your statement is wrong here. I mod for pleasure, most of us do. It's a hobby and i do it to relax and to feed my creative side. Sure, you can also make a nice portofolio over time and some of us might find jobs in the industry thanks to that. But there's a huge differance between that and getting paid to mod. Especially considering that some of us already have day jobs or even careers in other fields.

It is also my personal opinion and i know there are other modders who share this sentiment, but money does tend to ruin stuff, more often then not as it goes against and prohibits a lot of practices that are common in modding comunities, like team work, iterative work or asset sharing.

I can understand donations as i believe they are in the spirit of modding and i would also be ok with paradox paying certain modders for their mod packs and then adding them for free in future patches, but a "store" where you can buy mods, that would be the one thing which would make me quit modding paradox games for good and never buy their stuff again.

• 1Like
Reactions: