• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yep, it is good in making the situation on the map less stale - however - it can lead to some funny shenanigans if you're unlucky and not careful.

I had a terraforming event after tf'ing Mars, encountered a subterenean primitives. Of course I invaded and proceded to purge them. Revolt situation came up, could not do much about it (pop numbers? Giving them consumer goods didint do much), so they revolted and yeah, lo and behold, they got Earth and Alpha Centauri with planets for free, couldn't declare war straight away. I had AI rebellion developing at that time, so after they got my planets, they kinda inherited it too, and they had a full blown rebellion of their own just weeks after declaring independence from me. Fun times.

• 20Haha
  • 6Like
Reactions:
The only issue I see with the current system is that if a revolt fires off you lose what every the revolt targets. No counter play at that point, just lose the target systems with a force auto surrender and throw a truce in there. That needs work.

• 5Like
Reactions:
The only issue I see with the current system is that if a revolt fires off you lose what every the revolt targets. No counter play at that point, just lose the target systems with a force auto surrender and throw a truce in there. That needs work.
To be fair you have had a solid 20 months to deal with the revolt firing and that only if the planet has alot of problem to cause 5 progression a month. You have already reasonable amount of time to deal the upcoming revolt so it just taking the system kinda makes sense.
Obviously them getting every planet in the system is kinda weird but is a by product on multi empire systems no longer existing.
As for the enforced truce that kinda obvious why that occurs, a revolt would be irelavent if you can just immediatly recapture the planet afterwards, additionally recieving a free recently liberated modifier on the planet as a bonus.

Reactions:
To be fair you have had a solid 20 months to deal with the revolt firing and that only if the planet has alot of problem to cause 5 progression a month. You have already reasonable amount of time to deal the upcoming revolt so it just taking the system kinda makes sense.
Obviously them getting every planet in the system is kinda weird but is a by product on multi empire systems no longer existing.
As for the enforced truce that kinda obvious why that occurs, a revolt would be irelavent if you can just immediatly recapture the planet afterwards, additionally recieving a free recently liberated modifier on the planet as a bonus.
Sure you have 20 months to solve the issue, but that is not what I'm talking about here. If I am playing say a xenophobe empire and these slaves rebel that I just conquered do you think they should just rebel without me trying to stop it with military force? I won't disagree that rebels need some work cause in the past they rebel and most of the time they are super weak, but making it so you just auto lose when you have the army to fight them in not a good solution.

I mean there is no doubt in my mind in the future will get either a update or DLC that focus on revolutions which will hopefully fix this, but like I said before this is not a good fix to that issue.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yep, it is good in making the situation on the map less stale - however - it can lead to some funny shenanigans if you're unlucky and not careful.

I had a terraforming event after tf'ing Mars, encountered a subterenean primitives. Of course I invaded and proceded to purge them. Revolt situation came up, could not do much about it (pop numbers? Giving them consumer goods didint do much), so they revolted and yeah, lo and behold, they got Earth and Alpha Centauri with planets for free, couldn't declare war straight away. I had AI rebellion developing at that time, so after they got my planets, they kinda inherited it too, and they had a full blown rebellion of their own just weeks after declaring independence from me. Fun times.
This is exactly why we need to bring back multiple owners of single systems! It was in the game before, it can't be too hard to find a solution.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is exactly why we need to bring back multiple owners of single systems! It was in the game before, it can't be too hard to find a solution.
i'm pretty sure it was removed with 2.0 since it was incompatible with the new game design.

i'm pretty sure it was removed with 2.0 since it was incompatible with the new game design.
It doesn't have to be though! They only removed it because they made entire systems owned by the central starbase. There's no real other reason.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sure you have 20 months to solve the issue, but that is not what I'm talking about here. If I am playing say a xenophobe empire and these slaves rebel that I just conquered do you think they should just rebel without me trying to stop it with military force? I won't disagree that rebels need some work cause in the past they rebel and most of the time they are super weak, but making it so you just auto lose when you have the army to fight them in not a good solution.

I mean there is no doubt in my mind in the future will get either a update or DLC that focus on revolutions which will hopefully fix this, but like I said before this is not a good fix to that issue.
the civil war mod does it much better, you have the choice of either crushing them or making what deal you can.

I agree, in theory it is a good feature, but the lack of options to handle revolts makes it really bad in my opinion. I played as authoritarian enslavers and you have absolutely no chance to stab up even a single conquered planet. When playing the nice alien neighbour, you might have some more options, but as a conquerer? The conquered planets simply break away and theres nothing you can do about. If you conquer them again, they just break away again. Why the hell does stationing a army has no effect altough you can even boost it on affected planets during the situation? This makes no sense at all. I'm sorry to say, but this definitly needs a fix, it just does not work.
Maybe I missed something, if so, please tell me, but the time frame is just too limited.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Really no idea why people think this was so important. but I was never someone who cheesed the game in all the dumbest ways possible just to win faster. clearly those fun haters discovered ways to break the game normal people never would.

Reactions:

The situstion represents the planetside conflict/insurgency. The rebels took the planet and you lost the war. Thatswhy there is a truce.

Your military options were to build up a garrison force or enact martial law or building a stronger starbase. Parking your assault units on the planets also helps but doesn't guarantee victory just because they are superior (see afghanistan for reference).

Reactions:
Finally.

Martial law is back to being worth it now that there is actually revolt in game.

Though it is still easy to manage if you are careful or plan for it in advance.

Only people who mindlessly blob will actually feel the revolt tbh.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I disagree, it wasn't that much better and this doesn't solve the issue of how quickly the current revolt mechanic escalates - and then just flips a switch. The whole system is in place to create more steps and decisions for these situations. This works until a revolt starts and instead of actually fighting, you just magically lose planet and system? That makes no sense to me, especially when you just conquered primitives. Not from a narrative or a gameplay perspective.

I don't think this needs too many tweaks but it should be addressed. Otherwise you just add a big chunk of frustration for no benefit since as a player you're usually on the receiving side of this, not the other way around. I'm sure we all can and will adapt but that doesn't mean this is currently the best possible version of this feature, by far.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I would like to see the archaeology mechanics applied to revolts. A revolt starts and you can put a transport fleet in orbit to manage the situation. The strength of the fleet determines the range of your rolls in addition to other modifiers from your planetary decisions. Every roll inflicts devastation on the planet. Bigger fleet = more devastation, so you don't necessarily want to doomstack the thing. However, too weak and you're more likely to get setbacks which can result in losing troops and increasing instability on other worlds. As it goes on, rivals get events where they can supply arms and training to the rebellion. The revolt spreads and now your troops are needed not just on the worlds that you conquered, but it's now affecting your original planets as your government is called into question.

Obviously, games following the .0 version update will have empires collapse dramatically after capturing a single outpost colony because that's how Paradox figures out the weighting.

• 7Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Though it is still easy to manage if you are careful or plan for it in advance.

Only people who mindlessly blob will actually feel the revolt tbh.
So, then enlighten us. How are we supposed to handle revolts? I have absolutely no clue. And conquering one planet is everything, but not "blobbing mindlessly".

• 4Like
Reactions:
I don't hate it, I just think it needs significant rework. I think the devs should revert back to the original revolution mechanic from the game's launch: rebel factions, if they have enough support, would send an ultimatum, demanding the planet or sector be released as a vassal. If you refused, they would start a civil war. If they won, they would become completely independent. Whilst the new factions system was altered to only be an ethic changing system, the rebel factions wwere great. I'm still baffled as to why they couldn't have had both in separate tabs of the factions menu.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I haven't tried all the combinations yet, and it seemed fairly balanced for hiveminds (once you properly manage amenities/deviance).

But it does finally give planet decisions, like distributing luxury goods or martial law, more of a purpose, but I think there could be more civic-specific responses to the rebellion chain that could help certain combinations do better.
  • Police state - kidnap the ringleaders / information blackout - very quickly ends any revolt but renders the planet less productive.
  • Imperial cult - use the word of the emperor to dispell the rioters. More effective if done sooner.
    • Failing to contain a revolution after using the 'Imperial commandment' option could actually add -stability (emperor discredited) to all worlds near the breakaway state.
  • Criminal heritage - deploy crime syndicates to beat up protestors.
  • Ask factions to help.
    • If there are a large number of (e.g.) egalitarian pops on the rebellion planet, and you are egalitarian [or the egalitarian Faction holds very high approval of you and isn't suppressed], you should get an option to ask the egalitarian party to pacify egalitarian pops.
    • Then progress reduces by % egalitarian pops/total pops on all tagged colonies.
    • Swap egalitarian for any other ethic as applicable.
And so on.

The other thing that would help is a bit more text explaining how many systems would break free at the conclusion. It only mentions colonies that break away.

In the rebellion situations I've had it usually follows 1 planet, 2-3 planets, 4-8 systems (basically anything uninhabited within 1 jump from a breakaway system).

• 7Like
  • 1Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
The Revolt Mechanic is absolutely terrible designed, I like the situation part, but the peaceful secession after it escalates makes no sense whatsoever.

In my last run I played a militaristc xenophobe empire and had 10 zombie assault armys on an conquered planet. And because I didn´t provide enough amenitys to the conquered population for a few months, they decleared independence and my military just left without a shot fired.

In my opinion a failed peacfull solution to the riots should start a planetary battle (maybe with one defense army for every unhappy pop), if they win they become independent, if you win 10% of the pops die, and the planet gets a modifier for at least 10 years which stops further rebellions taking place but also lowers production and upkeep for all jobs.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I like this mechanic, I really do. I like how I can't just conquer a planet and expect to sit pretty on it. However, the problem I am seeing is an inability to actually deal with the growing rebellion. Could be I don't fully understand this mechanic and how to manage it, but I just finished conquering a chunk of enemy territory, almost immediately I got the rebellion situation trigger and before I could even properly prepare to deal with it, the event triggered and I lost all the populated planets I had just conquered and now I have to wait ten years in game before I gain reconquer them. This is the problem I'm seeing here, it just goes off and all I can do is watch the timer tick down.

• 1Like
Reactions: