• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

A2ch0n

Spymaster
21 Badges
May 30, 2018
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Hello Paradox Team,

with the upcoming espionage system we will get the ability to disrupt relations between two empires with the "smear campaign" and the "create diplomatic incident" operation. My idea would be a option to mediate between two empires to solve their differences by a third party.

The best way to archieve this would be a simply new "Mediate" button in the diplomacy screen to another empire similar to "Build Spy Network" button. Like all other relation changing diplomacy actions, a envoy is needed to do so (maybe in both empires). The next step is to select another empire (that is of course not the own) to improve relations with.

Similar to the spy network this could be tied to the archeologie mechanic with a quest chain and some events, ranging from gifting some additional resources to territorial shifts between the two. If the mediation is successfull, the relations improve by a good amount (differences by events and diplomatic decisions during the mediation campaign) and decrease slowly over the next years. In addition could a final step be a exchange of envoys between the two empires to improve relations (if both partys agree) or at least form a non agression pact. If the mediation was successfull or failed, your own relations to these empire change by a certain amount. Both directions are possible, depending on your diplomatical skill and the grants the two empires had to make in this process, as well depending on your successrate in finding good compromises.

To evaluate the acceptance for each tradeoff in the different steps of the mediation, the good old opinion/acceptance bar from the trade screen could be used. In addition can the mediating empire give additional resources/territory from the own stock to fill a gap between the two and seal the deal. The player empire could even win diplomatic weight with successfull mediations and gain a reputation as mediator in the galactic senate, even increase reputation with other empires.

This concept would fill the missing feature many of us would have liked to see with "Federations" and it would be a hell of fun for each diplomatic engaged player. And in addition it would be a feature you are not forced to use if you don't want to.

So, this is my concept. I hope you like it!

Last edited:
  • 9Like
  • 9Love
Reactions:
I like this idea as I have always felt that there needed to be a way to get two empires that like you but hate each other and make them like each other so you can invite them into your federation.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I like this idea as I have always felt that there needed to be a way to get two empires that like you but hate each other and make them like each other so you can invite them into your federation.
Having one inside while the other has association status helps. It means those two should now build trust, as normal for having a Non-Agression pact.

But I totally agree: A direct option is needed!
It is frustrating that you can not get two of your friends at the same table, so they can reconcile.

Having one inside while the other has association status helps. It means those two should now build trust, as normal for having a Non-Agression pact.
I've had cases where literally nothing helped. The other empire had the exact same ethics as me. (totally not because i "convinced" them to become democratic)
But one empire in my 4-empire federation just absolutely hated them and absolutely refused to have anything to do with them. For ages. That was pretty bothersome.

Reactions:
I've had cases where literally nothing helped. The other empire had the exact same ethics as me. (totally not because i "convinced" them to become democratic)
But one empire in my 4-empire federation just absolutely hated them and absolutely refused to have anything to do with them. For ages. That was pretty bothersome.
Yeah, I can relate.
My guess is the only reason they joined you initially was external pressure (Shared Rival/Threat) and relative power?

I already resolved to only get that "all 8 Ethics" Federation archievements via a hegemony

Reactions:
Easier solution to this might be to be able to dedicate an envoy to it through trade interactions, like how you can demand that people will break alliances or such. Their willingness to accept is based on how much both empires like YOU.

Easier solution to this might be to be able to dedicate an envoy to it through trade interactions, like how you can demand that people will break alliances or such. Their willingness to accept is based on how much both empires like YOU.
But i don't want the easy way :).

1650701194974.png

I thought a long time about a mediation concept and it's not only about getting peace for one time, it's about a long time solution. And not only you as mediator should pay that price, it's something both conflict empires have to do too. Sometimes a mediations is maybe even impossible but the stronger your standing as a mediatior the more they are willing to accept. And more important, a mediation need time. The archeology/espionage system is fitting here with of course some different pacing.

But i don't want the easy way :).

View attachment 831872

I thought a long time about a mediation concept and it's not only about getting peace for one time, it's about a long time solution. And not only you as mediator should pay that price, it's something both conflict empires have to do too. Sometimes a mediations is maybe even impossible but the stronger your standing as a mediatior the more they are willing to accept. And more important, a mediation need time. The archeology/espionage system is fitting here with of course some different pacing.
yeah but the easy way fits best into existing mechanics and requires the fewest new complicated systems.

yeah but the easy way fits best into existing mechanics and requires the fewest new complicated systems.
Then we have different goals for the game :). I want more completely different mechanics that have a own system to learn, specialize and play. But im ok with your opinion that you don't want that.

• 1Like
Reactions: