• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Retic73

Sergeant
4 Badges
Jun 19, 2018
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
I've started playing the game again after a 2-year hiatus. I downloaded/installed 3062 Advanced and... what a wake-up-call! Even with easier settings I find myself getting B!#@H-Slapped almost every mission. My biggest problem is time; I don't have a lot of it so I have to rush to get missions done because there's no save function mid-mission. Is there a Mod to help with this, or a Mod/Mods that add the appropriate tech at the proper time as I advance in the vanilla game?

The Hyades Rim mod lets you save mid-mission, and while that's a good story, it seems to be a bit different than what you're looking for.

Don't think it does anymore. I recall when I looked at the last download page, it either stated or seemed to imply (I forget which) that had been taken out as well, for the same reasons as BEX, BTA3062 and RogueTech did.

I've started playing the game again after a 2-year hiatus. I downloaded/installed 3062 Advanced and... what a wake-up-call! Even with easier settings I find myself getting B!#@H-Slapped almost every mission. My biggest problem is time; I don't have a lot of it so I have to rush to get missions done because there's no save function mid-mission. Is there a Mod to help with this, or a Mod/Mods that add the appropriate tech at the proper time as I advance in the vanilla game?

I'm afraid that you're are, as they say, pretty much fragged on this point.

All the big mods ended up having to disable in-mission saving, because the version of Unity HBS uses appears to be frankly crap, so it pretty much never works properly even if you can try it. There are ways to toggle it back on, but the problem is apparently that loading an in-mission save just doesn't WORK properly with mods on. Crashing out and errors are that frequent.

And, as PDX and HBS have stopped support... Nothing is going to get done about it. Likeley even if you could get into the hard-coding, to fix it, you'd probably have to update the Unity version. (Which I understand from Brightrock Games, who actually did on War for the Overworld - putting PDX to shame, they cant even fix their OWN published games, Imperator - is a difficult job in an of itself).

So it comes down to basically Vanilla-with-saves or Mods-without-saves, pretty much, I fear.

Don't think it does anymore. I recall when I looked at the last download page, it either stated or seemed to imply (I forget which) that had been taken out as well, for the same reasons as BEX, BTA3062 and RogueTech did.
I've done it with Hyades Rim and it worked fine. Haven't seen any updates that would change that.

I've done it with Hyades Rim and it worked fine. Haven't seen any updates that would change that.

Well, I've done a search and I can't find what I previously read, so I've asked the man hisself on Nexus. Will report back if/when he answers.

(If you can, I might be tempted to try myself at some point, since it's one of, probably the biggest, point of contention I have with with BTA3062 and BEX. (Not that they can do anything ABOUT it, for previously stated reasons, but...)

Not till my new graphics card is fitted though. (Hopefully, between that and the RAM I bought at end of year, I MIGHT see the end of the "eight mech is pink" on BEX et al...!)

Hyades Rim is still being distributed and updated through Nexusmods, no changes there.

And yes, Hyades Rim allows you to save games in mission.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you all for your time. I too need to add RAM (only have 8 gigs) and install a better graphics card. The sticking point I have are the transition screens, specifically:
from 'load saved game' screen to the game - that's about 5-6 minutes
from 'start mission' screen to actually starting the mission - this one's a bear at 9-10 minutes,
ending the mission is another 5-6 minutes,
exiting the game is about 6-8 minutes.

Thank you all for your time. I too need to add RAM (only have 8 gigs) and install a better graphics card. The sticking point I have are the transition screens, specifically:
from 'load saved game' screen to the game - that's about 5-6 minutes
from 'start mission' screen to actually starting the mission - this one's a bear at 9-10 minutes,
ending the mission is another 5-6 minutes,
exiting the game is about 6-8 minutes.
Are you using BattletechPerformanceFix mod?

Hyades Rim isn't compatible with BTA3062 but you find Battletech Performance Fix as a stand alone mod at Nexus mods. That should fix a lot of the loading time issues, although the BTA and the other mod packs are known to be resource intensive.

Performance fix is part of BTA3062 (on checking my own BTA mod folder, as i suspected). BEX too. (RogueTech wil las well, since BTA is semi-associated.)

I don't recall it being that slow for me, but I had 16GB RAM before upgrade and a (relatively) Recent Ryzan 5 6-core processor (though it was slow, don't get me wrong).

My own other trouble had been my graphics card is a factory-overclocked GTX 760, which is only 2GB. It's still running fine, but it getting a bit long in the tooth - but until recently, it hasn't been practical to replace it with the shortage.

(I'm just getting one of the Radeon RX6500s. In the end, despite the generally mixed reviews from the tech people (who tend to be benchmarking on things I'd never, ever play and who keep recommending alternatives five to six times the price), the user reviews seem to be fine; even if it might not be the best performance verses money in the history of graphics cards, it's going to be a step up anyway and most pertinently - I can get one for slightly under £200 and it's in STOCK.)

I upgraded from 16GB to 32GB RAM bcs with mods even 16GB will have issues like i had to restart the game every 2 to 3 missons or the slow downs would become bad - with 32GB i can play modded for hours ongoing with no issues.

Last edited:
It's also advisable (from RogueTech's advice, that is, which applies generally to BT mods) - especially if you have low RAM - to manually set your VRAM page file to be 1.5x your actual physical RAM. The reason is apparently this version of Unity has a memory leak and a random tendancy to dump the entire active memory in the VRAM pagefile or something. Might well be worth a try, OP.

(Got new graphics card... I am still getting a couple of pinks mechs sometimes on urban maps when using (modded) eight mechs which I had before, but I did have one last that didn't, so maybe a partical improvement...)

I went from 8 to 24 gigs of RAM. Massive improvement!! From starting Steam to deploying on a mission used to take 30-40 minutes. Now it's less than 10 minutes.
30 minutes to start playing?? That's a lot worse than in the 80s where you had to wait five minutes for the game to load from a tape player.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I have 32gig RAM and my new graphics card seems like it was only a mild improvement (the X6500 isn't apparently a sparkling card, but it is a step up from by GTX 760 at least).

(Trouble is, most of my games library is fairly undemanding at the best of times and I hadn't played BT since before Christmas, so it's difficult to judge, but I think the load times were a little bit faster, but not by much.)

30 minutes to start playing?? That's a lot worse than in the 80s where you had to wait five minutes for the game to load from a tape player.
Good old times...my CPC 464 with the inbuild cassette tape drive had games that were in the 15 to 20 minutes range to load and woe you if you had a loading error and needed a retry...Floppys were so much faster (3-inch Floppys for the CPC Homecomputer Series)!