• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Stellaris Dev Diary #237 - Reworking Unity, Part One

Доступно на русском в ВК/Read in Russian on VK

Welcome back! We hope you’ve all had a wonderful few weeks.

Today we’ll start with some more information about the goals of the Unity Rework mentioned in Dev Diary 215 (and briefly in 234), some updates on how things have been going so far, and our plans going forward.

Please note: All values and screen captures shown here are still very much in development and subject to change.

Identified Problems and Design Goals

Currently in Stellaris, Unity is an extremely weak resource that can generally be ignored, and due to the current implementation of Admin Capacity, the Empire Sprawl mechanic is largely toothless - leading to wide tech rushing being an oppressively powerful strategy. Since Unity is currently very easily generated through incidental means and provides minimal benefits, Empires have little need to develop a Unity generation base, and Spiritualist ethics are unattractive.

Influence is currently used for many internal and external interactions, making it a valuable resource, but it sometimes feels too limiting.

Our basic design goals for the Unity Rework can be summarized as:
  • Unity should be a meaningful resource that represents the willingness of your empire to band together for the betterment of society and their resilience towards negative change.
    • Unity should be more valuable than it is now, and empires focused on Unity generation should be interesting to play.
      • Spiritualist empires should have a satisfying niche to exploit and be able to feel that they are good at something.
      • The number of sources of incidental Unity from non-dedicated jobs should be reduced.
      • Empires that do not focus on Unity (but do not completely ignore it) should still be able to acquire their Ascension Perks by the late game.
    • Reward immersive decisions with Unity grants whenever possible.
    • Internal empire matters should generally utilize Unity.
      • Provide more ways to spend Unity.
      • Rebalance the way edicts work (again).
  • Reduce the oppressive impact of tech rushing by reintroducing some rubber-banding mechanics.
  • Make tall play more viable, preferring to balance tall vs. wide play in favor of distinctiveness, and emphasizing differences between hives, machines, megacorps, and normal empires. (This does not necessarily mean that tall Unity focused empires will be the equal of wide Research focused ones, but they should have some things that they are good at and be more competitive in general than they are now.)
  • In the late game, Unity focused empires should have a benefit to look forward to similar to the repeatable technologies a Research focused empire would have.
In this iteration we have focused on some of these bullets more than others, but will continue to refine the systems over future Custodian releases.

So What Are We Doing?

All means of increasing Administrative Capacity have been removed. While there are ways to reduce the Empire Sprawl generated by various sources, and this will be used to help differentiate gameplay between different empire types, empires will no longer be able to completely mitigate sprawl penalties. Penalties and sprawl generation values have been significantly modified.
  • The Capital designation, for instance, now also reduces Empire Sprawl generated by Pops on the planet.
1641998332819.png

Bureaucrats, Priests, Managers, Synapse Drones, and Coordinators will be the primary sources of Unity for various empire types. Culture Workers have been removed.

Autochthon Memorials (and similar buildings) now increase planetary Unity production and themselves produce Unity based on the number of Ascension Perks the Empire has taken. Being monuments, they no longer require workers.

1641998343919.png

These monuments are now planet-unique, and can be built by Spiritualist empires.

The Edicts Cap system has been removed. Toggled Edicts will have monthly Unity Upkeep which is modified by Empire Sprawl. Each empire has an Edicts Fund which subsidizes Edict Upkeep, reducing the amount you have to pay each month to maintain them. Things that previously increased Edict Capacity now generally increase the Edicts Fund, but some civics, techs, and ascension perks have received other thematic modifications.

1641998361029.png

As an example, some Bureaucratic technologies now modify the Edicts Fund.

1641998374401.png

The Imperial Cult will squander any excess Edicts Fund on icons of the God Emperor at the end of the month. No refunds!

Several systems that used to cost Influence are now paid in Unity.
  • Planetary Decisions that were formerly paid in Influence. Prices have been adjusted.
  • Resettlement of pops. Abandoning colonies still costs Influence.
  • Manipulation of internal Factions. Factions themselves will now produce Unity instead of Influence.
Since Factions are no longer producing Influence, a small amount of Influence is now generated by your fleet, based on Power Projection - a comparison of your fleet size and Empire Sprawl.

Leaders now cost Unity to hire rather than Energy. They also have a small amount of Unity Upkeep. We understand that this increases the relative costs of choosing to hire several scientists at the start of the game for exploration purposes, or when “cycling” leader traits, as you are now choosing between Traditions and Leaders..

1641998387012.png

And then some empires go and break all the rules.

Most Megastructures now cost Unity rather than Influence, with the exception of any related to travel (such as Gateways) or that provide living space (such as Habitats and Ring Worlds).

Authority bonuses have (unsurprisingly) undergone some changes again, as several of them related to systems that no longer exist or operate differently now.

When Will This Happen?

Since these are pretty big changes that touch many game systems in so many ways, we’ve decided to put these changes up in a limited duration Open Beta on Steam for playtest and feedback. This will give us a chance to adjust values and modify some game interactions before the changes get pushed to live later on in the 3.3.x patch cycle, and we will continue improving on them in future Custodian releases.

We’ll provide more details on the specifics of how the Open Beta will be run in next week's dev diary.

What Else is Planned?

As noted earlier, we’d like Unity to also reflect the resilience of your empire to negative effects. A high Unity empire may be more resistant to negative effects deficits or possibly even have their pops rise up to help repel invaders, but these ideas are still in early development and will not be part of this Open Beta or release. They’ll likely be tied to the evolving Situations that we mentioned in Dev Diary 234 - we’ll talk about those more in the future once their designs are finalized.

Next week I’ll go into details regarding the Open Beta, go over a new system that is meant to provide “tall” and Unity focused empires some significant mid to late game benefits called Planetary Ascension Tiers, and share details on another little something from one of our Content Designers.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 169Like
  • 106Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Tyrants: You still need the support of subordinates and the people still need to be cowed enough to obey. Ideally, Low Unity would cause some form of civil strife, maybe even civil war, to show you've lost your hold.

Gestalts: Consider it a measure of how truly connected the Hive Mind actually is. Similar to civil wars, a Hive Mind could risk fracturing if parts of it were sufficiently isolated from the rest that their thoughts started to diverge. Making a decision like this would have some parts of the Hive disagree, making them more likely to diverge.

That is literally the exact opposite of how a Hive Mind works, this isn't an ant colony that starts up on the other side of the world from the host. If you had an island of territory on the far side of the galaxy from you, this would make sense, otherwise? No.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
If you mentally rename "unity" to "cohesion" or "attention" or "focus" for hiveminds then it makes more sense. A megastructure is a huge (lol) undertaking requiring massive amounts of precision work, and you're doing it all yourself. If your attention is being dragged in every direction and you're barely holding yourself together then it's going to be very hard to engage with such a massive project, but if you've been performing proper self care then you'll have the focus needed to get it done.

Like, you ever have a big home project to get done but you're just too wrecked to get started and just keep putting it off for weeks? It's that but instead of painting the bathroom it's putting a cage around a sun.

I would agree with this, in theory. But it does not work that way in practice in game. A Gestalt can be fighting a 4 front war, building a Mega Shipyard AND a Sensor Array, as well as negotiating external political favors in diplomacy deals for the GC, AT THE SAME EXACT TIME. Clearly, a Gestalt in game, has no issues concentrating, so trying to suddenly act like they can't focus when it comes to this one thing, while having no issue in other situations, is jumping through a hilarious number of logical hurdles to justify a change you want to see.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
I would agree with this, in theory. But it does not work that way in practice in game. A Gestalt can be fighting a 4 front war, building a Mega Shipyard AND a Sensor Array, as well as negotiating external political favors in diplomacy deals for the GC, AT THE SAME EXACT TIME. Clearly, a Gestalt in game, has no issues concentrating, so trying to suddenly act like they can't focus when it comes to this one thing, while having no issue in other situations, is jumping through a hilarious number of logical hurdles to justify a change you want to see.
Building a mega shipyard or sensor array will both require unity, so building both of them will require more "attention" than just building one. If you do spend all your unity on them it will impact your ability to run Fortify the Border and Fleet Supremacy (both edicts, both requiring unity in the new order) which sounds to me like them "distracting" you from your four front war.

Reactions:
personally i have always thought that the most coherent thing would be for the players who play the high empires to dedicate themselves to science and technology and the broad empires to unity. it seems to me that an empire united by faith or tradition would be much more capable of creating great but undeveloped empires and vice versa.

and that it is the bureaucrats who create unity and not the workers of culture seems to me an insult, in my third world experience bureaucrats are the worst thing that can happen to the unity of a people, but leaving that aside, it seems to me more logical to have to build theaters instead of laboratories to produce more unity as is done with science.

Maybe a cultural technologies tree should be incorporated like other games have, maybe using a system like imperator rome where you unlock bonuses as you increase your unit level or something like that.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Imperator: Rome has a system in which every character (basically their version of a leader) has a “loyalty” value, and if you pull them from their job, they lose loyalty, and if enough loyalty is lost, they stop obeying you, and may even launch a civil war.
I really want Stellaris to lift some mechanic form Imperator Rome tbh especially the rebellion and civil war mechanic, hell I want all paradox's gsg to use it period.

But I doubt it will happens even though I think a lot of IR mechanic is really great (certainly better than some games) but the fact the it got benched right now don't fill me with much confidence.

Reactions:
Explain to me people. Did ancient Egypt use their sense of national pride and unity to construct the Pyramids? No, they used "alloys", minerals, money, and an army of slaves.

They used national Authority, which in this game would with these changes be represented with Unity, to push farmers into working on their projects during the Nile's anual floods, when their farmlands were unusable and the men were idle. While it seems it wasn't wholely voluntary labour, it wasn't slavery.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And to those disagreeing i can only say, how should a tiny, few planet containing empire ever compete militariliy, scientifically or economically with a galactic empire??? There's no way and no how unless the bigger empire collapses in on itself for internal reasons... the kardeshev scale exists for a reason....
Kardashev scale is only about how much energy your civilization produces. For example, the Imperium of Man is immense and is the hegemon of an entire galaxy, but its pretty much a post-post-post-post apoc space empire and would be well behind the Kardeshev scale if compared to something like The Culture, the Galactic Empire from SW or the New Gods of the Fourth World. The Imperium is the galactic empire equivalent to Mad Max Road Warriors (or, more charitably, Caesar's Legion), they don't even have Dyson Swarms/Spheres. Would't surprise me if even The Combine is higher up than the Imperium or the Galactic Empire (we know they have at least one Dyson Sphere).

Some hard sci-fi single-system empires probably line up higher in the scale than the Imperium or the Galactic Empire because of sheer tech.

There should still be a way for more isolationist, tech-focused empires to protect their research and retain their advantage. If some sort of passive tech spread is introduced, maybe Enigmatic Engineering could negate it.
I think that's the best idea for Enigmatic Engineering that I ever heard. If Passive Tech spreading becomes a thing like in most Paradox GSGs, then Enigmatic Engineering should allow you to shut it out. Essentially, it lets you tech up without worrying about people getting your tech from browsing your blorgopedia or something.

(althrough I also think Enigmatic Engineering sure could use another bonus. The concept is cool but its underpowered as hell)

(On second thought, this is a bit amusing because who's doing the purging if my own pops aren't there?
Collective suicide, duh. They just send suicide methods (like guns with one bullet on it) and tell people to KYS or they will go there and make them suffer.

"Don't make me come down there to kill you, we will make it slow, buddy!"

Yea honestly that seems like a totally illogical change to the civic. It should 100% buff a Vassalization playstyle instead.
I feel like Feudal Society would be better served by providing access to either a unique Federation similar to a Hegemony that allows a special casus belli to expand the Federation, or at least a special type of vassal that provides alloys and fleet capacity
TBH, I don’t like how Feudal Society became a mix of two different concepts: cheaper leaders, and more trusting subjects. I feel that this civic had a lot of potential to empower and expand on vassalization, rather than to provide more meaningful buffs to an entirely unrelated mechanic.
I have to echo all these calls about Feudal Society. I think Paradox simply has no idea what is Feudal Society supposed to be about. It was ALWAYS a super weak ass civic that was never good, ever. Hell, even Master of Orion 2 had a more interesting take on Feudalism. Kinda sad from the people who brought us "Feudalism Simulator 2002, Feudalism Simulator 2011 and Feudalism Simulator 2021".

Way I see it, Feudal Society should enable "Crusader Kings-lite" Mode. Essentially, Vassal-heavy playstyle where a land-tied nobility bound in Vassal/Suzerain relations through oaths and obligations, protects land and supports their ruler according to personal relations.

I think that in Stellaris terms, it would mean a form of play where you not only have to use vassals, but their proper use ensures efficient government for you and proper military control of an area. And stratified, in such a way that minor landholders are beholden to major landholders, and these landholders to a single overlord or even to even more powerful land-holders.

In CK terms: Barons are ruled by Counts who are ruled by Dukes who are ruled by Kings. And even some Kings (or Viceroys) answer to Emperors. And beneath them, common knights.
And all these people/characters each have personal relations to each other. Every ruler rules his own territory as seen fit, and in exchange, gives unto their overlord what is requested of them - gold, soldiers, etc.

Feudalism in space makes a lot of sense, due to the vast distances involved, even if you have FTL. If anything, unless your empire has instant and easy communication and travel to and fro across galactic distances (like in Star Wars), Space Feudalism is pretty much inevitable.

Although to be fair, the mechanics are not all there for something like this, yet.

Last edited:
Reactions:
any idea why there's are a lot of disagrees compare to previous DD? I thought this was a really good initiative?
It happens with every rework or major change. There is a subset of the forums that will constantly say that "X" change will ruin the game. What changed, was that they got a sliver of information and haven't had the chance to express their "doomsday" feelings in a while. Happens every time the devs make any real change. Like Logistic growth to deal with performance, or from tiles to buildings, from population based building slots to infrastructure based slots.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Once again, the developers "fix" what already worked. Which doesn't change the fact that playing "tall" in this game is simply boring. And playing "wide" will now be even more painful. So why even play this game? There's less and less fun in Stellaris with every "fix" like this.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Building a mega shipyard or sensor array will both require unity, so building both of them will require more "attention" than just building one. If you do spend all your unity on them it will impact your ability to run Fortify the Border and Fleet Supremacy (both edicts, both requiring unity in the new order) which sounds to me like them "distracting" you from your four front war.

SIr following this logic, literally every single thing, in the entire game, should cost you Unity. Farming crops should cost the Hive Mind Unity. Working Mines should cost Unity. Adjusting the Solar Panels should cost Unity. Building Starbases should cost Unity, Building ships should cost Unity, Every single job in your empire, everywhere, should have a Unity upkeep cost, because that's forcing the hive mind to multitask more and more. So following your logic to its natural conclusion, Gestalt's shouldn't ever have any Unity, because it would be constantly spent the second it gets it due to concentrating oh so hard on the 80 billion things it's constantly doing at the same time, all the time.

• 2Like
Reactions:
They used national Authority, which in this game would with these changes be represented with Unity, to push farmers into working on their projects during the Nile's anual floods, when their farmlands were unusable and the men were idle. While it seems it wasn't wholely voluntary labour, it wasn't slavery.
That is not, what the devs are describing Unity as sir, they are literally describing it as an analogy of Patriotism and national cooperation, and therefor, by their own definition of it, the changes do not follow to their logical conclusion.

Reactions:
Definitely looks promising, really curious what those planetary ascension tiers are especially if its something unity heavy empires can invest in.
I'm guessing one of two possibilities.

First, the Planetary designations can now be "leveled up" by investing Unity, increasing the benefits it provides. Swapping designations is still possible, but you'll lose the invested Unity.

Second, each planet gets its own Ascension tree you can access via a new page. The "perks" would be a mix of planetary specific options and political decisions which will provide incremental bonuses to certain aspects of the planet.

Bit late of a reply, but I'd love if Empire Sprawl also had some effects on pops like happiness, ethics attraction, rebellions, etc. Realistically, a wide, giant empire is going to be more susceptible to loyalty issues since it's harder to monitor everyone.

Ideally it would work like Loyalty in Civ VI. Planets close to the capital won't be affected very much, but a planet right next to the border, near another empire could have higher chance of ethics divergence, (towards the other empire's ethics) and the sprawl penalties on pops are stronger. (Since if there was a serious rebel movement, they'd be hiding on the outskirts of your empire.)

Could also punish the equivalent of "forward-settling" in Stellaris. AI jumps over your empire and yoinks a really good system (maybe a precursor homeworld. I've had this happen.) on a dead-end surrounded by your borders? The system would have much higher chance of defecting or at least suffering loyalty issues.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just a thought, but please don't rename bureaucrats to managers. While managers has perfect sense for a corporate authority, the name seems quite out of place for states that are bases on a monarchical or republican government form.

Managers are for corporate empires already, so no need to be worried about that :)

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
That is not, what the devs are describing Unity as sir, they are literally describing it as an analogy of Patriotism and national cooperation, and therefor, by their own definition of it, the changes do not follow to their logical conclusion.

Well they're describing it as both - it seems that it both represents internal political power and also cultural cohesion; so a tyrannical empire which rules over everyone with an iron fist has a lot of unity.

I think that's why bureaucrats give unity - it's not that they make everyone feel more culturally united, it's that having a complicated Beurocracy allows you to bury people in red tape so they can't voice their objections effectively?

But yeah, it's entirely possible I've misunderstood - the concept does seem a little vague, like it covers several slightly different things (following ethics attraction, happiness, political power)?