• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just tried rolling back to older versions, they still run badly, even though they ran fine earlier in 2021.
That pretty clearly shows this is some local issue in your machine, rather than a game problem as such.

Does that also affect say CK2, EU4, HOI4 or Stellaris?

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .

Please report the temperatures of your CPU and video (GPU)
1/ before starting the game up and
2/ after say 10 minutes' play.
If your PC's vendor has given you no way of reading temperatures, install
SPEEDFAN http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Last edited:
Not OP, but I've been having the exact same problem, however in my case is both Imperator and CK III, any other older Paradox game like HOI4, EU4, Stellaris runs fine but these two specifically literally go at 1 FPS, which is weird because they used to run just fine a few months before.

My specs are:
SystemOS = Windows 10
RAM = 8gb
CPU = Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2701 Mhz
GPU = Intel HD 620

Anyway I attached the DXDIAG file in the reply, don't know how helpful it will be since it's in portuguese.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    91 KB · Views: 0
When you say it is the same, is this also true of you?
Just tried rolling back to older versions, they still run badly, even though they ran fine earlier in 2021.

What I can see in that dxdiag is your Intel HD 620 video system is unsupported by either game; it is significantly weaker than the minimum requirement for this game, the Iris Pro 580:

And IR does not support any Intel video systems at all.

Yes, I tried rolling back to 1.3.1 to check if it worked but no such luck, and while my GPU might not be supported both games managed to run fine, not optimally of course but good enough to be playable. It's been a few months since the last time I've played both of these games but both had the latest patch available.

So again, if older versions of the game used to be fast but now are not, this is a local problem rather than issues with the latest game patches. We're basically reduced to guessing what might have gone on in your machine/Windows to have caused this.

Were you unable to locate the other files I asked for? Did you check the temperatures as I described?

Check if Windows is in Games mode, if so undo that.

If you have these apps/utilities running, please unload them as a test: MSI Afterburner, Citrix Workspace, any other performance management/enhancement utilities

Here are the files you asked, I was not able to find the settings.txt file. I deactivated the Games mode but it had no effect and I also had none of the mentioned apps running. Curiosly when I tried to launch the game earlier it worked for a few seconds before going back to 1 FPS.

Attachments

• pdx_settings.txt
    3,4 KB · Views: 0
  • error.log
    11,9 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    862 bytes · Views: 0
CK3 has no settings.txt , that was an error on my part. I see no cause for this problem in those files.

Did you check the temperatures as I described?

Try editing that pdx_setting.txt file, make this change:
"renderer"={
version=0
value="OpenGL"
}
Does that change things at all?

CK3 has no settings.txt , that was an error on my part. I see no cause for this problem in those files.

Did you check the temperatures as I described?

Try editing that pdx_setting.txt file, make this change:

Does that change things at all?
I checked the temperature and ingame it varies between 65-75Cº

The pdx_settings file now displays DX11 as its renderer

I forgot to mention it but this also affects the title screen and the loading screen, everything is locked at 1 FPS. Sometimes the game manages to run fine for a few minutes but eventually it slows down to 1 FPS.

The pdx_settings file now displays DX11 as its renderer
I know that, I'm suggesting changing it to OpenGL as a test

I checked the temperature and ingame it varies between 65-75Cº
That's getting up there, but not quite to the level that causes problems, which is normally 80c. It never gets over that?

And is this for BOTh the CPU and GPU?

I know that, I'm suggesting changing it to OpenGL as a test

That's getting up there, but not quite to the level that causes problems, which is normally 80c. It never gets over that?

And is this for BOTh the CPU and GPU?
OpenGL causes the game to be slower than usual, I'll test to see if the game can hold up for a few hours because it takes a while for the framerate to drop. The temperature doesn't go above 80c and as far as i know I've only checked the cpu heat. The game works "partially" now as the 1 FPS doesn't happen until a few minutes ingame, if the problem persists I'll post a reply.

Okay so today i tried OpenGL but it makes the game too slow so I reverted back to Dx11 and to my surprise the problem stopped, I was able to play for hours without the framerate dropping and was able to lauch and exit the game multiple times without this problem appearing. However I was not able to pinpoint exactly what was causing the problem itself but the game did work after the following:

-I finished installing any pending updates for Windows.
-I used the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter, that was what made the main menu work normally although at first it didn't solved the framerate drop ingame
-I noticed that when I lauched the game my pc woudn't slow down, normally it would since the game was running but when the framerate was at 1 it wasn't happening, this makes me think that the game was probably not using the necessary amount of memory it needs to run smoothly.
-The Dxdiag showed that my Dx version was 12 not 11, I don't know if this could be the reason for the issue but since the game is normal I suppose not

Anyway I don't know if this can also help OP but after these events the game is now working again. So thanks for the help.

-I finished installing any pending updates for Windows.
I have seen that cause performance problems with our games. Your Windows version did not show that it was out of date though.

-I used the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter, that was what made the main menu work normally although at first it didn't solved the framerate drop ingame
Not normally necessary of course. I wonder what change it made?

-I noticed that when I lauched the game my pc woudn't slow down, normally it would since the game was running but when the framerate was at 1 it wasn't happening, this makes me think that the game was probably not using the necessary amount of memory it needs to run smoothly.
Nothing you've done would change that, so far as I can see. If the game could not get the memory it needed to run it would crash.

-The Dxdiag showed that my Dx version was 12 not 11, I don't know if this could be the reason for the issue but since the game is normal I suppose not
You have DX9, 10, 11 and 12 all installed and available for apps to use, as does every installation of Win10/11. Dxdiag just shows the highest and default one.

So I frankly have no idea what caused your problem, with the possible exception of that first item there.

That pretty clearly shows this is some local issue in your machine, rather than a game problem as such.

Does that also affect say CK2, EU4, HOI4 or Stellaris?

DXDIAG is a program you run from the Windows search box on the task bar. After running it will open a window and start collecting info with a progress bar in the lower-left corner. When it completes click the 'save all information' button and save it to a file then attach that file here.

Please attach here your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/pdx_settings.txt .
From your Documents/Paradox Interactive/CK3/logs/ folder, attach here system.log , error.log .

Please report the temperatures of your CPU and video (GPU)
1/ before starting the game up and
2/ after say 10 minutes' play.
If your PC's vendor has given you no way of reading temperatures, install
SPEEDFAN http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Sorry for just getting to this now, I kinda gave up and only came back to it recently.
Error log is empty.
Temperature remains unchanged.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    88,8 KB · Views: 0
  • pdx_settings.txt
    4,9 KB · Views: 0
  • system.log
    870 bytes · Views: 0
Sorry for just getting to this now, I kinda gave up and only came back to it recently.
Error log is empty.
Temperature remains unchanged.
Does this issue also affect say CK2, EU4, HOI4 or Stellaris?

What actual temps do you see when the game is running so poorly?

At least part of your problem is this machine only has a Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 video system, which is well below the required Intel® Iris Pro™ 580 / Intel® Iris® Plus G7

But that doesn't explain 1 fps, if that is literally what you are seeing now. Right click on ck3.exe , properties, compatibility. Tick "disable fullScreen optimisations" untick every other box in that dialog, Apply and exit.
Then in the launcher Game Settings menu, select fullScreen display mode, Vsync off, refresh rate 60.

Any better?