New launch option to skip launcher

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm afraid not. Steam was closed so I opened it and clicking 'play' still goes to the launcher.
Will investigate later this week. I'm afraid right now I have to keep an eye on the release ;)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Will investigate later this week. I'm afraid right now I have to keep an eye on the release ;)
It's a very nice 'nice to have', but the release takes precedence for sure. Good luck and thanks for creating the soon-to-be-working option :)

• 2Like
Reactions:

Fair enough, and I wish you pleasant sailing on that. Sadly I must report that despite my original optimism, this skip option isn't appearing for me either, and I still have to go through the very slow and unstable launcher each time.

The issue should now be fixed on all platforms.
It is now fixed for me (Ubuntu 20.04/Steam). Thank you! This is a nice QoL improvement! :D

Is there/going to be a launch command to skip the launcher as well such as "-skiplauncher" or something along those lines? This would benefit those who launch HOI4 through a shortcut or Steam's taskbar.

Is there/going to be a launch command to skip the launcher as well such as "-skiplauncher" or something along those lines? This would benefit those who launch HOI4 through a shortcut or Steam's taskbar.
You didn't hear it from me but if you want a shortcut without the launcher the can run hoi4.exe directly :cool:.

Reactions:
I hate this.

Please let us have an option to disable this launcher launcher.

Perhaps add another launcher to disable the launcher launcher? /s
I start my game by right-clicking the steam icon in the task bar and i believe you can skip the launcher launcher this way.

This is a great quality of life improvement. Thank you so much. Previously, I had to go into the local files and it hit the application button. I love the IDEA of the launcher. I just don't have much love for the execution with the paradox games that I play the most.

Last edited:
Not sure if it's been mentioned but just for some clarity if you were confused like I was. This option only appears if you click the play button from the game page in your steam client library. Doesn't fire off from a pinned entry on the taskbar right click or desktop shortcut. This doesn't affect me as I've not had any huge issues with the launcher.

Great idea, but there doesn't seem to be an option to Resume without going through the Launcher, so I save time by not having to stop at the launcher and hit "Resume", but I have to stop at the main menu and hit "Continue". Literally broken and unplayable :p .

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Great idea, but there doesn't seem to be an option to Resume without going through the Launcher, so I save time by not having to stop at the launcher and hit "Resume", but I have to stop at the main menu and hit "Continue". Literally broken and unplayable :p .
I mean, it's just one more click and i already spent more time creating my quickfix mod than playing Trotsky-Bukharin's USR on this patch anyway, hahahaha......

I wonder how many people who are having trouble with their mods in the mod launcher may have missed the notice about needing to sign in. I recently had an issue with that and was wondering why nothing was working, only to note that the launcher - in one of the tool-tip pop-ups - was telling me to sign in. After that I had no problems.

Edit: after two days, this problem all of the sudden stopped happening almost immediately right after I made this post. As of right now, I am able to fully log in, remove outdated mods, and play the game. End edit.

When I try to log in to the launcher, I get "our servers appear to be temporarily overloaded. Please try again later" for the past 2 days now.

I had mods installed, last time I played was before No Step Back (NSB). So some mods will be out of date and need to be removed. But I can't log into the launcher. The skip button option does not work because it attempts to load all mods and the game says it can't load. So the launcher problem is actually preventing me from playing the game completely at the moment.

I have ununstalled the game and the launcher v2, deleted paradox folders in appdata/local, appdata/roaming, and steam/common. I opened steam and reinstalled, verified game files, and clicked play to start a new launcher install. When I try to log in I still get the same error, overloaded server, and when I click skip the game still tries to load my old mods and fails. Please help, can't play at all.

Last edited:
Can we have the old launcher back, please? The one that played a little song as it fired up, didn't find new ways to break each week, and was super-easy to select mods with?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Can we have the old launcher back, please? The one that played a little song as it fired up, didn't find new ways to break each week, and was super-easy to select mods with?
they can't force feed you advertisements for things you already own with the old launcher though

• 1Haha
Reactions: