Why Do People Use Patronage Of The Arts?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

SonofWinter

46 Badges
Jun 28, 2004
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
Why use this privilege and aren't you taking a huge mega loss of income for no real benefit? Am I missing something? And if yes, what am I missing?

Patronage of the arts is a very useful privilege in my opinion. It comes at the cost of 5% tax, which is pretty negligible. Tax is the income that scales the least, and a 5% hit isn't the end of the world.
The main use of it is the instant prestige upon granting the privilege. With this, you can grant the privilege, revoke it, and grant it again as needed until out of a prestige hole. Very useful early on for disinheriting heirs without other ways to manage prestige. Prestige gives army morale, so it can also give that little extra boost. I've also found that the 5% opinion with 5% influence makes it a privilege that isn't difficult to revoke come absolutism, but can help hit the trending loyalty breakpoints (45, 60).

It's a good prestige bomb without much of a cost.

• 18Like
Reactions:
Even if it is not abused, it gives a very good boost if your initial prestige is near zero, or if you got negative prestige because of e.g. converting to protestantism.

• 3Like
Reactions:
It's also really usefull if you need to get rid of an heir day one, if your prestige is negative you get +30 instead of the normal +15 !
It's a scaling bonus, from the wiki:

• Over 50: +10 Prestige
  • 0 to 50: +15 Prestige
  • −25 to 0: +20 Prestige
  • −50 to −25: +25 Prestige
  • Under −50: +30 Prestige

• 3Like
Reactions:
Because if I'm playing Karaman I want to be able to disinherit my awful heir and not be at -50 prestige
Formed Mali Empire in two separate games, both on Ironman and disinherited my heir both times on day 1. The -50 prestige wasn't that awful for all that long. I'm not saying it didn't make things harder, I'm just saying that the game wasn't unplayable on day 2 because of -50 prestige.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Formed Mali Empire in two separate games, both on Ironman and disinherited my heir both times on day 1. The -50 prestige wasn't that awful for all that long. I'm not saying it didn't make things harder, I'm just saying that the game wasn't unplayable on day 2 because of -50 prestige.
Don't think anyone's saying it's unplayable, but -5% morale when you have basically no other combat modifiers yet means you're fighting at a disadvantage

• 7Like
Reactions:
Q: "Why is this in the game?"
A: "For metagaming abuse."

Ah, EU4. EU4 never changes.

Speaking of which, seems like an oversight that a privilege that gives an instant benefit can be immediately revoked and given again until satisfaction. I try to imagine a ruler doing this over the course of a day and all I can see is a plot forming to depose his schizophrenic butt.

• 3Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Q: "Why is this in the game?"
A: "For metagaming abuse."

Ah, EU4. EU4 never changes.

Speaking of which, seems like an oversight that a privilege that gives an instant benefit can be immediately revoked and given again until satisfaction. I try to imagine a ruler doing this over the course of a day and all I can see is a plot forming to depose his schizophrenic butt.
Could be an oversight indeed, but for practical reasons I don't think this "abuse" is very dramatic, you lose 20 loyalty everytime you do it, under normal circumstances you can only do this once, as then you don't have more loyalty than influence anymore, you will also likely face the negative loyalty penalties and if you seize estate lands also rebels.

Reactions: