Europa Universalis IV Subscription Now Available on Steam and Microsoft Windows

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So I got the subscription, is there anyway to turn off select DLCs with the service? Like I really dont want the poorly made ones to be used.
Which version/source do you have? In the Steam one you can turn all DLCs, Mods and such on and off in the launcher. You can even set up and save "playsets" of DLC/Mods if you have different variations that you like to play.

(This is actually great for modding: for HoI4 I have a development version, a few test versions and a 'live' version set up and easy to switch between).

So I got the subscription, is there anyway to turn off select DLCs with the service? Like I really dont want the poorly made ones to be used.
There is a manual way to deactivate subscribed DLCs:
  1. Find the file "dlc_load.json", usually located in "C:\Users\your_username\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV"
  2. Right click it and select Edit (this can be done in any text editor)
  3. To disable DLCs, add them to the "disabled_dlcs" list
Below is an example with the DLC Conquest of Paradise disabled, note the added prefix “subscription_dlc/”:
Code:
{
    "enabled_mods":[],
    "disabled_dlcs":["subscription_dlc/dlc/dlc010_conquest_of_paradise/dlc010.dlc"]
}

Does this work for you?

Edit: fixed the list

View attachment 693963

Paradox’s flagship grand strategy game will soon be available in an entirely new way. Europa Universalis IV’s expansion and additional content is now available via subscription letting you enjoy all of the expansions and add-ons that have been developed over the last eight years.

All new subscribers will gain immediate access to all additional content ever created for Europa Universalis IV, with no additional upfront cost. If you already own the base game and some of the expansions or content packs, this subscription does not remove that ownership, but will open up all content that you have not purchased.

Subscribers must already own the Europa Universalis IV base game. Subscription is handled in-game and can be accessed once you start up Europa Universalis IV. This is only available to players on Steam using Microsoft Windows.

• All 14 major expansions, including the religious battles of Art of War and Chinese imperial drama of Mandate of Heaven.
  • Access to the upcoming Leviathan expansion, and all future expansions and content developed for Europa Universalis IV.
  • 3 immersion packs, adding new mechanics for Spain, Great Britain and Russian nations.
  • 9 content packs, adding new unit designs, advisor portraits and music for dozens of different nations.
  • and many more improvements to the core game experience.
This subscription will be available on 18 March 2021 for $4.99/£3.99/€4.99 per month. This subscription will automatically renew at the end of every month until it is cancelled.

This is an additional service on top of our existing model and we are not replacing anything - we're just adding another option!
I've just this last week started playing EU4, and I see all kinds of announcements for this, however I can't find where to actually subscribe?

I've just this last week started playing EU4, and I see all kinds of announcements for this, however I can't find where to actually subscribe?
It should be available in the main menu of the game. But AFAIK it is only available for the windows version of the steam version of eu4

There is a manual way to deactivate subscribed DLCs:
I thought i just be clever and delete the DLC files i dont want (all the music and unit packs) from the cache/dlc folder.
But that just makes the game not load any of the subscribed gameplay DLC either. WHY?

Are you telling me that, to disable the irrelevant stuff, i have to manualy add ~100 items to the jason file?

But that just makes the game not load any of the subscribed gameplay DLC either. WHY?
I don't know the inner workings of the subscription, so I don't know why that could happen.
Are you telling me that, to disable the irrelevant stuff, i have to manualy add ~100 items to the jason file?
I have heard that there might be some option in the ingame subscription menu now which you can use to disable DLCs. But I don't have the subscription myself, so I don't know how it works or if this is just a rumor(please let me know if you find something). If you want to disable 100 items via dlc_load.json, you have to add them all. But why would you want to do that? Do you like the base game music and units so much that you only want them? If you want no music at all, you can pause it in the ingame music player or reduce the music volume to 0 in the settings. And if you don't want unit models at all, you can use a mod like fast universalis. Disabling a DLC is not going to prevent its download, so you won't save any harddisk space by doing that

I have never had the music turned on. And in that case why would i want to activate or install music based DLC?
And the Units models? Im never zoomed in far enough to see them. So why bother having them load?
That does not mean i want no models on the map. But it was bad enough trying to kill of the annoyingly big and toröting elephants in india.

The one thing you can disable in the game itself is the Sabaton pack with a warning to do so as a streamer.

Edit:
Its somehow even worse and more confusing.
I cant get any DLC disabled.
Firstly i do have to be careful because the launcher will override the json at the slightest provocation.
I tried everything.
"subscription_dlc/dlc110_origins/dlc110.dlc"
"/dlc110_origins/dlc110.dlc"
"cache/dlc/dlc110_origins/dlc110.dlc"
"dlc/dlc110_origins/dlc110.dlc"
the game does not care. It just loads all DLC every time.

What does not help either is that some DLC are done through the launcher (the ones i own) and some are not.

Edit2:
What does not work either is to just copy the DLC files into the normal steam/eu4 folder.
The launcher then says "unable to verify dlc ownership".

This is some of the worst customer experience ive ever had with any game purchase.

Last edited:
I have never had the music turned on. And in that case why would i want to activate or install music based DLC?
You don't have to activate anything. Just switch of the music in the game and it will be the same as if you would have deactivated all the music DLCs. I'm pretty sure that the impact of music DLCs to the load time is negligible.
And the Units models? Im never zoomed in far enough to see them. So why bother having them load?
You are not doing any loading yourself. And I don't think that they have a big impact on the overall load time and performance(maybe one second). To me it seems that you are investing more time in trying to deactivate them than you could ever save from that.
And the performance impact on the game is probably negligible if you don't zoom in to see the models.

The one thing you can disable in the game itself is the Sabaton pack with a warning to do so as a streamer.
That's interesting. Thank you for the information.

Thats not the point.
This is my PC with my game. If i want to disable stuff i should be able to disable stuff.
Of course you can do that. As long as you have control over your computer, the game can't prevent you from doing whatever you want(although some games certainly try). But eu4 doesn't make it easy for you, because you seem to want to do something which nobody else wants. The other people who wanted to disable DLCs either wanted to disable a specific gameplay DLC which they didn't like or between one and three music DLCs.

I'm trying to find out what you actually want so that I can help you if I can. If you really want to disable the DLCs, you can use the way which I explained in the comment which you quoted in your first reply. If it doesn't work for you, can you post the full contents of your dlc_load.json and which DLC you are trying to disable in that case(try it with two at first to see how it works).
If you want to prevent eu4 from downloading the DLCs on your system you would have to change the binary code in eu4.exe. But I can't help you with that.

If you need further assistance - please submit a ticket through support.paradoxplaza.com

Reactions:
I'm trying to find out what you actually want so that I can help you if I can
Well. I have bought all DLC up to RB.
Since then the game wasnt playable for me. Now it has become better again. But i did not want to shell out 80 bucks in one go.
So i thought id give 5 a try for a month.
What i did not expect was the game to go into nuclear meltdown while ignoring Steam and its own Launcher by doing that.

What i want is simple.
I want the game to launch with only the gameplay relevant DLC. No cosmetics, no music, no models.
With the launcher thats easy. Even for the stuff that was included in packs like "Third Rome".

While i think its a joke that customers are expected to fiddle with files, personaly i dont mind doing so assuming it works. Which it does not.

full contents of your dlc_load.json

{"enabled_mods":["mod/ugc_173103497.mod","mod/ugc_782012869.mod","mod/ugc_788906833.mod"],"disabled_dlcs":["cache/dlc/dlc110_origins/dlc110.dlc"]}

The first part is autogenerated for the steam mods. For the second part Origins is easy to verify so i choose that for testing.
\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis IV\cache\dlc
is the path to the folder on my PC.

"subscription_dlc/dlc110_origins/dlc110.dlc"
"/dlc110_origins/dlc110.dlc"
"cache/dlc/dlc110_origins/dlc110.dlc"
"dlc/dlc110_origins/dlc110.dlc"

putting any of these into the jason does not work.

The games sub gizmo telling me that some of the DLC files are missing and can be downloaded is nice.
Whats not nice is that it, without asking for permission, alters the games launch.
I know the files are missing, i deleted them. Just launch with what you have.

the game can't prevent you from doing whatever you want(although some games certainly try).
That joke did not age well. We had a full internet failure for half a day today but i thought:
"Pffh, i just downloaded all seasons of EU4 thats no big deal."
Turns out nowadays if the launcher cant connect to the internet and thus cant validate that the stuff on your PC is allowed to be there you just dont get to use any of the DLC.
The game launches but without loading them in.

And the performance impact on the game is probably negligible if you don't zoom in to see the models.
I dont exactly have much to compare with. But people have been complaining about bad perfomance in 1.31.
My game did not run noticably worse there but i didnt play much.
However now in 1.32 with the Sub (and thus all cosmetics) active the game runs like ass even at the start. It feels choppy and less responsive than 1.31 was.
I can however not confirm that because of the music or models since i cant get them to turn off.