PSA About Mods and Saves with the new Patch

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MagnusPDX

Community Manager
49 Badges
Feb 19, 2020
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Greetings Generals! With No Step Back only a week away (at the time of this posting), I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about mods and saves.

NSB is an extensive rework to some aspects the game, so it will break saves, and out of date mods will cause issues. To avoid any problems, I encourage anyone with an on going game to try to finish up before release (November 23), or to remember to roll back your game to the previous version before trying to load up your save.

As for mods, some will update very quickly, some will take time. Every mod team is working on their own schedule, so please be patient with them as they work to get things up and running again. We are working with some of the larger mods to give them a head start on updating to the new patch. But that doesn't mean they will all be up to date at launch. With the extent of the changes being made, some mods may take weeks, or even months to be brought up to date.

• 18Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
@MagnusPDX Can you confirm if patch 1.10.5 will continue to be available as roll back option after the No Step Back patch is released?

With the introduction of the War Propaganda bug in patches after 1.10.5 (detail here), I consider that to be the latest playable version. I hope I won't lose access to the 1.10.5 patch if I want to check out the new DLC for a while, before going back to my old saves.

Last edited:
Reactions:
We are working with some of the larger mods to give them a head start on updating to the new patch.

Thank you for helping out the major mods on top of the massive work you guys are doing on the update itself.

I may be asking too much here, but would it be possible to publish some sort of guide \ checklist for us smaller mod creators? (Even if not immediately on release, where I am sure you would have your hands full, but perhaps in the coming weeks or so?).

Sorry for being desperate, I am clutching at all straws here since I have no formal coding experience (lawyer by profession) and I am getting this ominous feeling that this update might be too much for me to overcome and would be the end of the British Raj mod that I have been working on for the last 2+ years.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Greetings Generals! With No Step Back only a week away (at the time of this posting), I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about mods and saves.

NSB is an extensive rework to some aspects the game, so it will break saves, and out of date mods will cause issues. To avoid any problems, I encourage anyone with an on going game to try to finish up before release (November 23), or to remember to roll back your game to the previous version before trying to load up your save.

As for mods, some will update very quickly, some will take time. Every mod team is working on their own schedule, so please be patient with them as they work to get things up and running again. We are working with some of the larger mods to give them a head start on updating to the new patch. But that doesn't mean they will all be up to date at launch. With the extent of the changes being made, some mods may take weeks, or even months to be brought up to date.
Do BICE and KR get a headstart?

Thank you for helping out the major mods on top of the massive work you guys are doing on the update itself.

I may be asking too much here, but would it be possible to publish some sort of guide \ checklist for us smaller mod creators? (Even if not immediately on release, where I am sure you would have your hands full, but perhaps in the coming weeks or so?).

Sorry for being desperate, I am clutching at all straws here since I have no formal coding experience (lawyer by profession) and I am getting this ominous feeling that this update might be too much for me to overcome and would be the end of the British Raj mod that I have been working on for the last 2+ years.
The magic word here is "diff". VS Studio Code has an excellent checker and validator.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The magic word here is "diff". VS Studio Code has an excellent checker and validator.
Hey, thanks for the suggestion. Will try to do a compare (Axe99 suggested the same thing in the modding quick questions thread) + going through error list.

It can get pretty overwhelming to understand the difference even if I see it and like Warlock Engineer said, there's also the part of identifying what needs to change. On top of all this execution can be a whole other thing. A list of things to do (eg. for each character / country) would have been helpful, but hopefully I can get a better idea / more resources once other mods start updating and I can learn from their experience.

Cheers!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Now is the time to create a zip file to hold all your current mods. Find file 394360 and save as a zip file, with a little modding knowledge you will be able to continue playing Bosporus until your must have mods have been updated. You can find file 394360 at this location -- C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content

Being able to load an older version of the game is a nice feature but is better if you have the mods from that version. Also if you are a modder you can go back and check how mods worked before a new update.

Also remember to set your HOI4 Steam Properties to the following:

Only update this game when I launch it
Updated content will be acquired only when launching this game.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
How do I update my own very small flag mod ?

Does it matter that it's a local mod, not on Steam ?

Last edited:

is there any way to roll back to the earlier version where all the mods were working? having all the mods work is way more important for the gameplay experience than whatever was in the patch

is there any way to roll back to the earlier version where all the mods were working? having all the mods work is way more important for the gameplay experience than whatever was in the patch
It's possible to roll back to an earlier version (instructions in the stickies and in Steam), but if the mods have been updated they may no longer be compatible.

My HOI IV Launcher seems to be overwhelmed with Mod's I've subscribed too, but I can't figure out how to unsubscribe from the old mods? Every button on the Launcher won't let me unsubscribe/uninstall the old mods? Any suggestions?

RIP NATO counters....time to put the game on hold until the glorious modders update cause Paradox prefer to implement choo choo trains rather than a proper set of counters that help define units on a strategic map.

Reactions:
RIP NATO counters....time to put the game on hold until the glorious modders update cause Paradox prefer to implement choo choo trains rather than a proper set of counters that help define units on a strategic map.
I use square counters mod; like good old boardgame counters with NATO symbols