• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bonus Diary: No Step Back Formable & New Tags

Hello Generals!

I’ve managed to escape the frontlines of Social Media to bring you this dispatch from our Comrades on the Dev Team. I bring tidings of great hope, with reinvigorated pride and national sentiment - Thats right, a full list of the new Tags and Formables!

Lets start with the tags shall we?

Tags

Here is a full list of the Tags coming with No Step Back:
  1. DNZ Danzig
  2. SIL Silesia
  3. KSH Kashubia
  4. DON Don Republic (Through Cossack Branch for Poland)
  5. KUB Kuban Republic (Through Cossack Branch for Poland)
  6. BUK Bukhara
  7. ALT Altay
  8. KAL Kalmykia
  9. KAR Karelia
  10. CRI Crimea
  11. TAT Tatarstan
  12. CIN Chechnya Ingushetia
  13. DAG Dagestan
  14. BYA Buryatia
  15. CKK Chukotka
  16. FER Fareastern Republic
  17. YAK Yakutia
  18. VLA Vladivostok
  19. KKP Karakalpakstan
  20. YAM Yamalia
  21. TAY Taymyria
  22. OVO Ostyak Vogulia
  23. NEN Nenetsia
  24. KOM Komi
  25. ABK Abkhazia
  26. KBK Kabardino Balkaria
  27. NOA North Ossetia
  28. VGE Volga Germany
  29. BSK Bashkortostan
  30. KHI Khiva
  31. UDM Udmurtia
  32. CHU Chuvashia
  33. MEL Mariel

Pretty cool huh? Here’s a quick screenshot I grabbed releasing as many nations from the Soviet Union Republic of Turkic Peoples as possible.
20211112150543_1.jpg

Formables

The new formable tags are as follows:
Turkestan
Mountainous Republic of the Northern Caucasus
Transcaucasia
Siberia
Idel Ural

TagFormed by
Mountainous Republic
controls_state = Dagestan
controls_state = Chechnya-Ingushetia
controls_state = North Ossetia
controls_state = Kabardino-Balkaria
controls_state = Abkhazia
Transcaucasian Republiccontrols_state = Abkhazia
controls_state = Georgia
controls_state = Armenia
controls_state = Azerbaijan
Siberiaoriginal_tag = YYakutia
original_tag = Far Eastern Republic
original_tag = Chukotka
original_tag = Vladivostok
original_tag = Buryatia
original_tag = Taymyria
original_tag = Altai
original_tag = Yamalia
original_tag = Ostyak-Vogulia
original_tag = Tannu Tuva
Idel Ural Republicoriginal_tag = Mari EL
original_tag = Chuvashia
original_tag = Tatarstan
original_tag = Udmurtia
original_tag = Bashkortostan
Turkestan
allowed = {
OR = {
original_tag = TAN # Tannu Tuva
original_tag = KAZ # Kazakhstan
original_tag = UZB # Uzbekistan
original_tag = KYR # Kyrgyzstan
original_tag = TAJ # Tajikistan
original_tag = TMS # Turkmenistan
original_tag = SIK # Sinkiang
original_tag = BUK # Bukhara
original_tag = KHI # Khiva
original_tag = KKP # Karakalpakstan
}
}
available = {
is_subject = no
custom_trigger_tooltip = {
tooltip = form_country_kazakhstan_required_states
controls_state = 402
controls_state = 404
controls_state = 406
controls_state = 407
controls_state = 583
controls_state = 586
controls_state = 587
controls_state = 588
controls_state = 589
controls_state = 590
}
custom_trigger_tooltip = {
tooltip = form_country_uzbekistan_required_states
controls_state = 405
controls_state = 585
controls_state = 830
controls_state = 823
controls_state = 831
}
controls_state = 732 # Kyrgyzstan
controls_state = 742 # Tajikistan
controls_state = 584 # Turkmenistan
controls_state = 832 # Tashauz

I'm not a coder, I'm a social monkey so that meant diddly-squat to me - I'm hoping you in the community made sense of that.

Here is Siberia at its Max
image (5).png

Mountainous Republic:
image (6).png

Idel Ural
image (7).png

Transcaucasia
image (8).png

Furthermore theres a whole host of ways you can expand your empire further by tag switching between nations
20211112145224_1.jpg

20211112145158_1.jpg

That's all for this report, I can hear the chanting of “Release the DLC Now” from the Twitter front so I must get back to the frontlines.

• 84Like
  • 18Love
  • 3Haha
Reactions:
Under NO circumstances, for ANY reason, can the AI be allowed to release these nations. England decolonizing causes enough grief to my computer. Additionally every peace deal with Russia will end up looking like a Jackson Pollock painting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Baby Jesus will shed a little tear every time tags such as Mountainous Republic of the Caucasus and Republic of the Turkic Peoples are released. Do you want to make sweet baby Jesus cry? Please add an option to allow/disallow the offending tags, both releasable and formable.

• 6Like
Reactions:
These look great. Thanks for sharing!

While I look forward to releasing many of these tags when I finish conquering the USSR, please for the love of God don't let the AI release any of these tags. The AI already gets too excited about releasing tags left right and centre

Reactions:
Bit bummed that there isn't a formable Mongol Empire - I know that Mongolia isn't getting a focus tree, but unless you guys plan on making a content pack for the Asian countries that don't have focus trees (Mongolia, Mengkukuo, Tannu Tuva, Siam, the Dutch East Indies, and British Malaya), this would've been the perfect DLC to include it in (plus, it's not like you guys haven't given countries without focus trees formable nations - the Persian Empire, Arabia, and the Gran Colombia all come to mind).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Idel-Ural's borders cannot match its flag. This upsets me greatly.

I hope we get more ways to divide Germany in the future. It feels so much more cathartic to completely dismantle a defeated nation, instead of just puppeting it.

Reactions:
Bit bummed that there isn't a formable Mongol Empire - I know that Mongolia isn't getting a focus tree, but unless you guys plan on making a content pack for the Asian countries that don't have focus trees (Mongolia, Mengkukuo, Tannu Tuva, Siam, the Dutch East Indies, and British Malaya), this would've been the perfect DLC to include it in (plus, it's not like you guys haven't given countries without focus trees formable nations - the Persian Empire, Arabia, and the Gran Colombia all come to mind).
Considering Demchugdongrub's unique trait is "Spirit of Genghis," I'd say they're planning something for him in the future.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I repeat my suggestion regarding the KAR tag (see also here).

Also, a releasable Ingria would have been interesting. After all, there were Ingrians fighting for the freedom of their homeland in 1918-20 and 1941-45.

EDIT: To clarify, in HoI4-terms:

Here's East Karelia in its traditional borders:

HoI4_East_Karelia.png

Here's the Karelian ASSR with its 1938-1940 borders before it was elevated to an SSR:

HoI4_Karelian_ASSR_1938.png

Here's the Karelo-Finnish SSR when it was founded in 1940:

HoI4_Karelo-Finnish_SSR_1940.png

This is what the Karelo-Finnish SSR would have looked like if Stalin was successful in conquering Finland in the Winter War. It is quite possible that in this scenario the name would have simply been the Finnish SSR. The capital would also have been Helsinki:

HoI4_Karelo-Finnish_SSR_Goal.png

This is the Karelian Republic today:

HoI4_Karelian_Republic.png

I propose that KAR should start with the cores of the first and second image, receive cores on Finnish territory annexed by SOV up to the fourth image, depending on what kind of peace is signed. Specifically KAR, not SOV. This adding of cores is relevant in the case that the SSRs pop up as tags on the map, or perhaps become independent. If Finland is annexed, then the name of the Karelo-Finnish SSR should change to the Finnish SSR, and just Finland if the SSR then becomes independent. In the latter case the flag should obviously change to the Finnish flag as well. Coding-wise it might be easiest to just let KAR form FIN at that point.

In HoI4-terms, this is what an independent Ingria would look like:

HoI4_Ingria.png

Of course I know these proposals will not make it to NSB's release, and that they are not all feasible in an exact historical configuration border-wise, because it would mean the creation of several very small states, but it would be interesting if they would be implemented at some point even in a somewhat crude fashion.

Ingria is problematic when it comes to Leningrad, because there's no way a multi-million Russian city would be a willing participant (i.e. a core) in an ethnic Finnish Ingrian state, and their population would greatly outnumber the surrounding Ingrian Finns. But then again, the game has crazier cores... Another option would be to split the city of Leningrad off into its own one-province-state and have it not be a core of Ingria. But again, a state that size is not great for gameplay.

Last edited:
  • 14Like
Reactions:
Can we get a releasable Sapmi, too? Just so we don't have a little piece of Russia to the north of Karelia?

• 9Like
Reactions:
Considering Demchugdongrub's unique trait is "Spirit of Genghis," I'd say they're planning something for him in the future.
I could see that happening (and I know nothing about Mengkukuo's historical situation, so I could see him being able to accomplish it), it's just that I would've guessed that the Mongol Empire would be similar to Byzantium or the Ottoman Empire - namely, they add it as a formable for a nation with a generic focus tree in one DLC, and then when the nation that can actually form it gets a focus tree, one of the branches is dedicated to forming that nation in another way (kind of like how Greece can form Byzantium with only Turkey in BFTB, whereas if you wanted to form it with WtT, you'd need all of the Balkans cores + Turkey). Plus, it just would feel odd being able to form the biggest empire Mongolia was a part of but not AS Mongolia (case in point, you'd probably find it odd if the Austro-Hungarian Empire was a formable for Czechoslovakia and Croatia, but not Austria).

Last edited:
Would it be possible to restrict the ai to not release/puppet these tags?

If the allies win the war with germany they don't give Vichy to France, they release/puppet ocitania etc instead.

• 4Like
Reactions:
oh, I missed this diary, it's so good that paradox spoils us with more stuff to keep us entertained before the release, can't wait, more nations are always welcome

I just have a little suggestion that I think would best fit here since it's a diary about formables and releasables

1. let the puppets be able to take decisions to form certain nations OR let the player chose if he wants to puppet a formable nation in the peace deal, I would love to be able to puppet Siberia and not having to either annex that land, make 7 puppets out of it or give non core land to one of my puppets to one of my puppets

2. this suggestuins is SOMEWHAT related, please add more special puppets, especially reichkomissariats and other puppets for Germany, as well of some special puppets for certain nations, for example, if I as Germany conquer the uk, I would like to have Edward as the leader of my puppet nation instead of Mosley that theoretically fights against Germany in the game, same goes the other way around, if Italy or fascist UK puppets Germany, Germany should have another leader like idk Speer for example.

thank you for taking your time to read this and keep the amazing job up, this dlc gonna be fire

• 2Like
Reactions:
I could see that happening (and I know nothing about Mengkukuo's historical situation, so I could see him being able to accomplish it), it's just that I would've guessed that the Mongol Empire would be similar to Byzantium or the Ottoman Empire - namely, they add it as a formable for a nation with a generic focus tree in one DLC, and then when the nation that can actually form it gets a focus tree, one of the branches is dedicated to forming that nation in another way (kind of like how Greece can form Byzantium with only Turkey in BFTB, whereas if you wanted to form it with WtT, you'd need all of the Balkans cores + Turkey). Plus, it just would feel odd being able to form the biggest empire Mongolia was a part of but not AS Mongolia (case in point, you'd probably find it odd if the Austro-Hungarian Empire was a formable for Czechoslovakia and Croatia, but not Austria).
Prince Demchugdongrub is a controversial figure, with one side seeing him as a Mongolian nationalist seeking to unite his people under a single banner, and the other seeing him as nothing more than a traitor and a Japanese puppet like Puyi. He was also born into the same clan as Genghis Khan's father, the Borjigin.