If you could change one little thing about HOI4, what would it be?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

TommyScaletta

Sergeant
14 Badges
Jul 19, 2017
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III
Good day everyone,

in anticipation of NSB I am cleaning up my mod and also rewriting it from scratch (as it happens with every big update).
As I am looking for more ways to improve the gameplay experience I have ran out of ideas as of now.

So I am asking you:
If you could change one little thing (or several little things) about HOI4, doesn't matter if its a mechanic, a focus or a decision or anything else, what would it be and why?

• 4Like
Reactions:
Occupying divisions having a commander and/or earning experience, like they are capable of being locked into an occupied country and get veterancy.

edit: experience would then reduce casualities and/or increase compliance

• 9Like
Reactions:
Occupying divisions having a commander and/or earning experience, like they are capable of being locked into an occupied country and get veterancy.

edit: experience would then reduce casualities and/or increase compliance
Also would be nice to boost compliance gain with CIVs or some other method besides waiting for 15 years.

• 9Like
Reactions:
I would like to see more flavor things for individual battles/actions

Aces show that it's possible for an extra good day of air combat to get a little story. Why can't it be the same for land and naval? A major victory, brilliant last stand, or just good amount of luck getting some sort of little flavor bonus would be fun

Last edited:
  • 16Like
Reactions:
Option to let AI develop all research on time, instead of using research. In other words, the 1939 tank is available to the AI on January 1st, 1939.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Option for AI to autocomplete all ships in ques on January 1st, 1936. The AI is not going to bum rush anyone and it would at least let the AI have some ships.

• 2Like
Reactions:
There used to be a mod that put a little ui buffer in the bottom right so that when you when to go click on different map modes it was easier to not edge your mouse causing your screen to move.

there also used to be a modification to the production queue such that instead of it being one long column, it’d be 2 or 3 columns. I play on a 27” 2k screen. I preferred not needing to scroll down a massive list.

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions:
I want the ability to draw offensive battle plans to naval invasions before the landing happens to be reinstated, if we’re talking just one change and a little one at that.

• 10Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Option for AI to autocomplete all ships in ques on January 1st, 1936. The AI is not going to bum rush anyone and it would at least let the AI have some ships.

The easy way to do this is to turn off the AI in console, then do IC for 4 days (some of the build queues are for 2-4 ships). Just don't queue anything yourself in that time (either ships or buildings). Then turn off IC and turn on AI again.

• 2Like
Reactions:
There's plenty of things I could suggest, but since you ask for a little thing, my absolute #1 favourite pet peeve must be that you don't use WASD to move the camera.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Carriers with dive bombers on invasion support do what carriers with dive bombers should do when supporting an invasion.
I was confused what you meant until I realized that "CVs being on a naval invasion support mission" and "CVs being parked next to an invasion with their CAS being assigned to ground support" are two different things and can't happen at the same time. Not having to detach and manually place your CVs anymore to support naval invasions would indeed be a good change.

Regarding CAS, my change would be to make them more competitive against ships so that we have a reason to use them on CVs. Dive bombs and torpedos work exactly the same in HoI4 (one can dream of torpedo protection making it into the game one day-) but torpedos have way better stats, so there's no reason why you'd use CAS over NAV on a CV.

• 5Like
Reactions:
Chance to get a 'Division Commander' (ace) - bonus: they're promotable to corps?

Theater commanders (just use existing field marshals), reduce their bonuses by the amount of field marshals they command.

Both are changes that are already half in the game anyway, would make greater use of existing general portraits, and tickle my narrative interests.

• 5Like
Reactions:
I was confused what you meant until I realized that "CVs being on a naval invasion support mission" and "CVs being parked next to an invasion with their CAS being assigned to ground support" are two different things and can't happen at the same time. Not having to detach and manually place your CVs anymore to support naval invasions would indeed be a good change.

Regarding CAS, my change would be to make them more competitive against ships so that we have a reason to use them on CVs. Dive bombs and torpedos work exactly the same in HoI4 (one can dream of torpedo protection making it into the game one day-) but torpedos have way better stats, so there's no reason why you'd use CAS over NAV on a CV.
I suspect when the air rework DLC comes out that carrier operations are going to be completely overhauled. I really hope so anyways
Chance to get a 'Division Commander' (ace) - bonus: they're promotable to corps?

Theater commanders (just use existing field marshals), reduce their bonuses by the amount of field marshals they command.

Both are changes that are already half in the game anyway, would make greater use of existing general portraits, and tickle my narrative interests.
Navy too. When a fleet manages to escape certain destruction, or a destroyer takes on a battleship and wins, I want to reward them with somehow

• 1Like
Reactions: