Stellaris DD#14 Stellaris: Console Edition and Next-Gen Consoles

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Just got my PS5 so I wanted to know if we would finally get a bigger map. I'm really disappointed that even on next gen we still got this small map because of multiplayer. I don't really care for multiplayer so why don't you just give us the option to play on a bigger map when playing offline and using the small one when playing online?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Just got my PS5 so I wanted to know if we would finally get a bigger map. I'm really disappointed that even on next gen we still got this small map because of multiplayer. I don't really care for multiplayer so why don't you just give us the option to play on a bigger map when playing offline and using the small one when playing online?
No we will not get a bigger map

The console version of Stellaris is effectively the same on both the older consoles and the newer consoles. The only real difference being the newer consoles just run the game better.

The galaxy settings are the way they are due to the technical limitations of the Xbox One and PS4 [what the console version originally came out on]

Paradox has no plans to make a new version of the game on the new consoles as far as I am aware, this is mainly due to the backwards compatibility and cross generational multiplayer

I really wish this would be revisited.

I understand that they still limit galaxy size in multiplayer, but why oh why can't you increase the galaxy size in singleplayer?

The galactic community as a whole works horribly when there are only a few empires around.

Once we get features like the galactic imperium they become utterly non functional if there are only so few empires.

I really wish this would be revisited.

I understand that they still limit galaxy size in multiplayer, but why oh why can't you increase the galaxy size in singleplayer?

The galactic community as a whole works horribly when there are only a few empires around.

Once we get features like the galactic imperium they become utterly non functional if there are only so few empires.
because effectively, the Stellaris that is on the new consoles (Series S/X and PS5) is the same Stellaris that originally released on Xbox One and PS4

the "limitations" of the game are based on the hardware of the older consoles, when the new consoles were released and featured backwards compatibility [as well as cross generational gameplay, which is pretty unique] Paradox/Tantalus saw no need to make a new version of the game specifically designed for the new consoles [and with the cross generational gameplay that meant they couldn't change the game without risking issues cropping up]

now I don't know how the PSN works, but with the Microsoft/Xbox Store, when an update goes live, if the game is on both the old and new consoles; it will hit both of them. I don't know if there is a way to have it programmed to send an update only to the new consoles [at least not without the previous generation being cut off from updates, as the case was with Destiny 1 where once it moved to Xbox One, the 360 version stopped getting updates after awhile]

since the Xbox One/PS4 weren't cut off for updates with Stellaris when the new consoles came out, this means that if they push an update out only for the newer systems it would anger a lot of the players still on the older consoles especially when the game could still viably support updates and given the fact that it has been incredibly hard for people to get ahold of the newer systems [due to various reasons]

because effectively, the Stellaris that is on the new consoles (Series S/X and PS5) is the same Stellaris that originally released on Xbox One and PS4

the "limitations" of the game are based on the hardware of the older consoles, when the new consoles were released and featured backwards compatibility [as well as cross generational gameplay, which is pretty unique] Paradox/Tantalus saw no need to make a new version of the game specifically designed for the new consoles [and with the cross generational gameplay that meant they couldn't change the game without risking issues cropping up]

now I don't know how the PSN works, but with the Microsoft/Xbox Store, when an update goes live, if the game is on both the old and new consoles; it will hit both of them. I don't know if there is a way to have it programmed to send an update only to the new consoles [at least not without the previous generation being cut off from updates, as the case was with Destiny 1 where once it moved to Xbox One, the 360 version stopped getting updates after awhile]

since the Xbox One/PS4 weren't cut off for updates with Stellaris when the new consoles came out, this means that if they push an update out only for the newer systems it would anger a lot of the players still on the older consoles especially when the game could still viably support updates and given the fact that it has been incredibly hard for people to get ahold of the newer systems [due to various reasons]
Can they not send an update with separate binaries and the few data files(I'm assuming they didn't do anything insane other than maybe hardcode the limits) needed to lift the limits and then the consoles pick which to run or which data files to pull config from?

Can they not send an update with separate binaries and the few data files(I'm assuming they didn't do anything insane other than maybe hardcode the limits) needed to lift the limits and then the consoles pick which to run or which data files to pull config from?
No they can't

Given how updates work on consoles, once that update hits, it is effectively a new version of the game

I doubt they could have conflicting files like that where the SP has functionality that the MP doesn't...

Especially when the SP and MP are the same thing outside of MP allowing you to play with other people

The easiest solution for this problem, is just an outright new Console Edition made for the new systems [which last I knew, Paradox said they weren't going to do because of the backwards compatibility of the Series S/X and PS5]

Even if they changed their minds, Tantalus would likely need a year or two to make the new Console Edition [not sure how much of the porting process that has already been done they could just copy and paste over to the new consoles] during which time all updates/dlc would need to stop for the current Console Edition

Then the other problem crops up of people still not being able to get their hands on the new consoles, even after they've been out for 1 year

The console community already has a bit of a sour taste in their mouth from the dead silence we got ages ago between Utopia and Synthetic Dawn [9 months], I'm not sure they can handle something like that happening to the game

i think console game patches are tagged with the CUSA number given to each game (look at the bottom of the spine on a physical game box or on the disc label), which is kinda like a unique serial number similar to Cd's or the ISBN for books, ps4 and ps5 versions of games will have seperate CUSA numbers and games that have been updated to the ps5 version would in theory have the same CUSA number as a ps5 version bought physically or digitally.