Happy anniversary for the 6 months of Imperator's shutdown.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

lukaslunt

Banned
75 Badges
Jun 20, 2015
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
The Imperator Games have been officially on hiatus for 6 months (tomorrow). Wouldn't it be paradoxical time to take stock of the situation?
Personally I still hope to see games get new content because for the moment it is very low (no big dlc, just small flavor packs), the possibility of modding is clearly lower even than CK2 or CK3 at its output (1 year after imperator) which is much more modifiable.

Paradox we must speak now.

We know that for 2021 we will have nothing (it was planned), but we must tell us where the project is (whether it is definitively canceled or not).

• 31Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Thanks to Johan!

• 5Haha
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I appreciate the development team and their hard work to make the game better since launch. But same, I'd also at least like to know where the projects stands at the moment.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I'm sad because of the break. I bought it on release but just really started playing again. It's came a long way and still has a lot of promise. It's much better and I would like to see it worked on still.

• 8Like
Reactions:
I don't understand this total shutdown, maybe the game development is not Paradox's main goal as they are focused on the development of other games but leaving the game dead after the release of Marius expansion, an expansion that enhanced very much the game, is discouraging for fans of the game.

• 9Like
Reactions:
The thing that has me annoyed is the total lack of technical support as well as continued development, when catastrophic CTD bugs can still crop up. It has made me lose a lot (almost all) faith in PDX.

When recently, a tiny, tiny studio like Brightrock Games can over a game it has "finished" - War for the Overworld - to update the Unity engine to fix serious bugs for their Mac users, one feels a much larger company like PDX had absolutely no excuses not to do the job properly.

• 7Like
Reactions:
If there isn't a clear answer as to Imperator's future soon (one way or the other), I don't know why anyone who bought it in good faith on release would trust PDX with future releases.

On a personal level though, if the project is completely dead, it would signal poor decision-making. If a project can't be saved by some of the best work done by a PDX team, then it's all kind of meaningless. Would like to believe a change in CEO signals positive change, but it remains to be seen.

• 8Like
Reactions:
This game was taking the right turn, they better get back to it eventually...

Reactions:
This game was taking the right turn, they better get back to it eventually...
More than a right turn. If it had started in early access and "launched" with the Marius patch (2.0), it would've been about the best PDX launch ever. If the amazing work arheo and co. did on Imperator post-release isn't enough to see PDX return to it, then it's hard to believe any future flawed launches are worth giving the time of day.

• 11Like
Reactions:
Agreed - taking the right turn was an understatement. The 2.0 was is still an amazing game and its simply sad that they are not making it deeper.

I somewhat hope that they'll implement some of their experience from Vicky 3 and return to Rome that way.
(and some inspiration from the MEIOU TAXES mod for EU4 would be nice as well)

• 5Like
Reactions:
The Imperator Games have been officially on hiatus for 6 months (tomorrow). Wouldn't it be paradoxical time to take stock of the situation?
Personally I still hope to see games get new content because for the moment it is very low (no big dlc, just small flavor packs), the possibility of modding is clearly lower even than CK2 or CK3 at its output (1 year after imperator) which is much more modifiable.

Paradox we must speak now.

We know that for 2021 we will have nothing (it was planned), but we must tell us where the project is (whether it is definitively canceled or not).

You're just gonna have to wait for January. They'll obviously be silent this year.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If there isn't a clear answer as to Imperator's future soon (one way or the other), I don't know why anyone who bought it in good faith on release would trust PDX with future releases.

On a personal level though, if the project is completely dead, it would signal poor decision-making. If a project can't be saved by some of the best work done by a PDX team, then it's all kind of meaningless. Would like to believe a change in CEO signals positive change, but it remains to be seen.
Exactly, it somewhat annihilated my trust in Paradox though I'm a long time fan. Not only I'm not buying their games anymore, but I stopped encouraging my gamer friends to try their strategy games. In fact, I'm now warning them not to buy their games for the moment ! It's very sad.

Reactions:
You're just gonna have to wait for January. They'll obviously be silent this year.
I disagree, considering that they just cancelled their future projects to start focussing on their current games and most likely have been moving devs already I think that waiting for January is a case of too little too late. They're reorganising now, not in January. It's better to show them now that there is still a lot of interest in the game then to leave it until January when they're already long done with reorganising etc.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
I disagree, considering that they just cancelled their future projects to start focussing on their current games and most likely have been moving devs already I think that waiting for January is a case of too little too late. They're reorganising now, not in January. It's better to show them now that there is still a lot of interest in the game then to leave it until January when they're already long done with reorganising etc.
They said explicitly that there would be no news of Imperator in the course of 2021, so January, 2022 is the earliest we will hear anything from them.

They said explicitly that there would be no news of Imperator in the course of 2021, so January, 2022 is the earliest we will hear anything from them.
No they said there won't be any new content for 2021. They never said they won't give any news until 2022. I think they have to talk. If they really want to keep the games alive, they have to communicate a minimum. After if they want to abandon it, let them tell us. They'll take a nice burst of commentary, but at least we'll know.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Thanks to Johan!
Johan really gets too much critique in my opinion.

Yes 1.0 pretty much flopped and he was at least partially responsible. That said Johan was also the driving force behind the radical 1.2 patch that defined the future of imperator and what the game would become.

The 1.2 patch reworked mana, buildings, gave us the territory ranks, made pops convert/assimilate on their own instead of being driven by mana.

The 1.2 patch is what gave life to imperator for me. Paradoxically if the game had not flopped the radical 1.2 reforms would probablly not have come and i would not have enjoyed the game.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Johan really gets too much critique in my opinion.

Yes 1.0 pretty much flopped and he was at least partially responsible. That said Johan was also the driving force behind the radical 1.2 patch that defined the future of imperator and what the game would become.

The 1.2 patch reworked mana, buildings, gave us the territory ranks, made pops convert/assimilate on their own instead of being driven by mana.

The 1.2 patch is what gave life to imperator for me. Paradoxically if the game had not flopped the radical 1.2 reforms would probablly not have come and i would not have enjoyed the game.

if the game was good from the start it wouldn't have flopped in the first place... but that would have required a competent game design and not absurd mistakes like copying 1 to 1 Eu Rome as base.

• 2Like
Reactions: