• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #80 - Is That a Dagger in Your Pocket…?

Is that a dagger in your pocket…?​

or

Inventory System/Commission Artifact:​

Howdy all,

Your Friendly Local Community Manager here to introduce this week's Developer Diary! While it was not my article, it was written by our ever mysterious Content Designer, CC! So sit back, relax, and enjoy some neat new features from the team and we can't wait to hear your thoughts and feedback!

Without further ado:

Greetings!

Let’s talk about artifacts and the systems surrounding it.

Artifacts can be divided into two categories, inventory and court, which is also where the items are stored. This dev diary will focus on the former one, so the inventory.

Inventory system​

Feast thine eyes on the inventory screen! Instead of putting all of the goodies into a big pile, we’ve made an inventory window showing what’s currently equipped and how many of each category you can “wear”.

1.png

[image of inventory screen]

Equipable artifacts fall into the following categories; crown, regalia, weapon, armor, and lastly, trinkets. Most of these categories speak for themselves but trinkets, so what are they you may ask? The answer is a myriad of things; they can be brooches, dried flowers, even a worm on a string.

You can also sort after these categories, making it easy to find what you’re looking for when you want to equip, repair, or just browse your inventory.

2.png

[image of inventory screen: artifact section]

In the Artifact Details, you can read the artifact’s history, as well as see what people are claimants. Watch out - some of these people may be looking to steal the artifact away from you…
3.png

[image showing artifact details: history tab]

Of course, it goes both ways! Did your stupid brother inherit the family heirloom? You can duel, declare war, or steal it — as long as you have a claim.

4.png

5.png

[image showing artifact details: claimants tab]

Artifacts wear down when on your person versus when they are on display in the court. So keep that in mind as it can be costly in the long run to equip everything for the bonuses if you're not making full use of them.

Since the Antiquarian is such a vital figure in maintaining and making full use of your artifacts, there’s a shortcut to recruiting or just looking at who has that position in your court.

6.png

[image showing the Antiquarian court position info]

As shown in the image, the Antiquarian unlocks the ability to Reforge and Repair, as well as Commissioning Artifacts.

7.png

[image showing the Reforge Artifact interaction]

Commission Artifacts​

Inspirations are fickle like creativity, so if you have the gold and you want something commissioned, you can get in touch with local artisans through the Commission Artifact decision.

An additional benefit of commissioning an artifact is that you get to decide what’s being made.

8.png

[image showing the commission artifact decision; artifact selection]

Now you might wonder, “why would I ever subject myself to the whims and possible long time for a person to become inspired if I can just go to the local artisans and get what I want?”
You see, even if inspirations appear as fickle as love during springtime, it’s that little extra spice — a creator’s passion — that permeates through the final product. It’s that warm feeling of love for the craft that the beholder can feel just by looking at it, it’s something that’s not always present in a commissioned piece.

Ah, my apologies, I appeared to have been carried away there for a brief moment by my muse.

What I meant to say is that in gameplay terms, that means that inspired people can create artifacts of higher quality while the commission artisans will do the bare minimum and therefore be of the lowest quality.

9.png

[image showing the inspiration progress]

Whether a passion project or not, creating something takes time. We ask for your understanding and hope that you continue to enjoy Crusader Kings 3!

This Dev Diary was ghostwritten by the mysterious CC.

• 161Like
  • 76Love
Reactions:
Reminds me of HOMM interface. Now I need to collect just a couple more artifacts and I'm ready to collect my OP knights skeleton stack

• 11Haha
  • 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Inventory screen with the silhouette of a character as a backdrop? Now that's an old-school look.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, looks really great, I see we can duel people for artifacts we have a claim on, can we fabricate a claim like on a title ?

Can we declare a war for an item ?

If so, can we declare one for an important religious item like a relic, held by someone of a different faith (Like if a christian holds the Seal of Muhamad or something) even without a claim?

Thanks for the good work !

• 5Like
Reactions:
Will Artifacts like Regalia or Trinket access to claims or CBs??

-Holy Crown of Hungary would enable a Press Claim on the Kingdom of Hungary or its de jure titles
-Banner of Genghis Khan would enable Subjugation of your Dynasty members or Conquest CBs?
-If the Qarmatians stole the Black Stone you would be able to declare war for it as a Muslim, so on and so forth

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions:
What I meant to say is that in gameplay terms, that means that inspired people can create artifacts of higher quality while the commission artisans will do the bare minimum and therefore be of the lowest quality.

Bit odd to clap the commission community like that. I might be inspired to walk out and draw a picture of Ryan Reynolds tossing an angry koala at Boris Johnson, but I can guarantee you that someone I pay £25 to on Fiverr will produce a far better product.

Being inspired doesn't necessarily mean the product will be better, basically. It should be an event trigger that can be factored in to artifact creation, possibly improving the quality.

• 10Haha
  • 3Like
Reactions:
The question since first DD about artifacts remain: why the hell random courtiers (many of those may be nobles who never worked in their lives) can suddenly be inspired to make work of art, better than commissioned artisans?

Alright, they can be inspired to do it... but where did they learn how to do that? Why that random woman who might be my Doctor or my son's wife suddenly knows how to make THRONES? She went to carpenter courses? And learned how to make thrones in better quality than commissioned carpenters?

• 9Haha
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Artifacts wear down when on your person versus when they are on display in the court. So keep that in mind as it can be costly in the long run to equip everything for the bonuses if you're not making full use of them.

And yet the Reichskrone seems to lack a durability timer, despite being equipped. Does that mean that certain items can be used indefinitely?

• 5Like
Reactions:
it looks really nice, but i do have a small critique: wouldnt the antiquarian for a royal court be fairly well off? would it be possible to set the antiquarian position to trigger nicer clothes, like title rank does?

it just seems weird to me that someone in a prestigious and well-paying position in a king or emperors court would cut about dressed like a peasant

• 5Like
Reactions:
Just a small suggestion: Perhaps it would be a good idea to rename the position of Antiquarian to Custodian, as the latter lacks the commercial connotation of the former, is not related to the study of antiquities (after all, artefacts don't have to be old), and would be an era-appropriate term, as a custos (keeper) was generally in charge of keeping the relics, treasures, and archives of the church, but the term was also used in a secular context. Thus, custodian would be a good English equivalent.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Can items be associated with titles, cultures, faiths, lands (regions) or dynasties?

An easy example is, shouldn’t the Holy Roman Emperor always have a claim on the Reichscrone if he doesn’t possess it, and wouldn’t otherwise normally have a claim on it?

Another example might be, shouldn’t any Christian prince be granted a claim on the Crown of Thorns, if the item is in the possession of heathens (and potentially heretics), and another Christian prince isn’t already pressing his claim?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Neat. some questions:

1.) does that broach contain some fertility herbs or something? aka how does a broach improve fertility. Prestige I get, but fertility?
2.) are there ways to boost the quality of commissioned works? ie threatening them with death, docked pay, torture, etc.?
3.) can some of the bonuses affect realm opinion? for example the Reichskrone in the hands of say the Abbasid caliph or the Chakravatin of India might just be another fancy crown, where as having it within the Holy roman Empire would affect opinion of the people there and give you legitimacy to the HRE.
4.) any chance that holdings could hold artifacts? For example having the Reichskrone in Aachen, so to take it you have to successfully siege the city?

• 8Like
Reactions: