• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CK3 Dev Diary #79 - An Update on Cultures

Greetings!

We’ve talked plenty about cultures already at this point, but I wanted to give you a brief update on what we’ve done since the initial reveal of the culture rework. Since then, we’ve taken some time to add additional functionality based on your feedback!

Previously, you could only add new traditions to a culture to fill out any empty tradition slots you may have. If you wanted to change anything regarding your culture, you would have to create a new one. Which begs the question. What if I want to keep the culture I already have? Or why can I not replace that one tradition to make my culture perfect? Fret not. The cultural head has gained the ability to change, or ‘reform’ if you will, their culture in order to change it without the need to create a new culture. The cultural head cannot replace everything mind you, but may change the ethos, the martial custom, and any tradition. If you want to change any of the remaining pillars you’ll have to create a new culture, either by diverging or forming a hybrid. Do note that you need to own the Royal Court expansion to reform your culture, similar to creating a culture. Even without the DLC, you can always add new traditions to fill out any empty slots.

Reasoning for what you are able to change this way is twofold. First, changing heritage or language for an existing culture felt a bit off. While a language in reality does evolve over time, that is something we don’t really represent in the game, which makes it weird to simply “replace” a language. And you can’t really change your heritage in the same vein as, say, a tradition. Secondly, we wanted to make sure that you still have a valid reason to create a divergent culture. The two approaches are slightly similar in functionality, but it is important that both reforming and diverging a culture serves different purposes and that the distinction between the two is clear.

01_reform_button.jpg

[Image showing the options to reform or diverge a culture]

The major difference is, as mentioned above, that reforming only allows you to change certain aspects about a culture, while diverging allows for additional possibilities. A second significant difference is the cost. Replacing a pillar will cost you prestige. The ethos in particular includes a rather hefty prestige cost that should make it rather difficult to repeatedly change it over the course of a campaign. You are, however, free to pick any ethos, regardless of circumstances.

02_replace_ethos.jpg

[Image of the ethos replacement window]

Traditions will also be more expensive to replace. Instead of just a flat increase, replacing a tradition increases the prestige cost by 50%. The cost penalty will therefore be relative to how well your culture matches any given tradition, making the additional cost more harsh for already expensive (and less compatible) traditions.

03_replace_tradition_cost.jpg

[Image showing the prestige cost for the Agrarian tradition when replacing a tradition]

These additional costs will make reforming or diverging your culture easier or more difficult depending on your situation. Attempting to diverge from a large and unified culture, such as Greek when playing as the Byzantine emperor, will be rather expensive and the less viable option. Especially if you only want to change a tradition or two. Reforming your culture will be cheaper, allowing you to more easily tweak your culture over time.

If you are playing as the cultural head of a widely spread culture, such as Andalusian, diverging might instead be your preferred solution. Diverging from a culture that is spread out across multiple realms is significantly cheaper, allowing you to instead spend the prestige on replacing additional traditions or save it for something else entirely. Changing pillars is, for example, free when diverging, since you are forced to change at least one pillar in order to be able to create your new culture.

Finally, you might have noticed the hourglass in the above screenshots. This is the establishment rate. Whenever you add or replace a tradition, or change a pillar, it will take some time before the change is applied. The time required for a change to be fully adopted mainly depends on your culture’s size. Larger cultures will logically gravitate towards a slower establishment rate. The duration is also increased whenever you replace an existing tradition. As such, adding a completely new tradition to your culture is not only cheaper, but it will go faster as well. This is important because you may only have one cultural change pending at any given time. If you replace a tradition with something else, you will have to wait until that tradition has been fully adopted before you can change your culture again. Diverging, on the other hand, still allows you to do sweeping changes and they take effect immediately as you create a new culture.

04_establish_time.jpg

[Image of the establishment rate tooltip]

That about sums up all of the additional changes we’ve done. In short, the ambition here is to allow you to shape your culture more freely in the way you want, without having to always resort to doing something that might feel a bit heavy handed. On a final note, I’d like to thank you for providing us with feedback and voicing your opinions! Giving valid and constructive criticism does, at times, pay off.

• 156Like
  • 56Love
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
How common would reform be for the AI? Is it something only the player will end up doing ?

• 21Like
Reactions:
Can we expect related events to fire during the establishment period? For example, I could see a crop failure occurring when your culture transitions from one farming technique/practice to another.

• 12Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Amazing news, I loved it!

Only one thing I thought was a little off the game's aesthetic, it was the colors used in the artwork of the traditions, it looks a little too cartoony, it doesn't fit so well with the rest of the game's interface, but otherwise, everything is completely amazing

• 2Like
Reactions:
How common would reform be for the AI? Is it something only the player will end up doing ?
This is mainly a player facing tool, meant to provide additional ways for you to shape your culture more freely. The AI will fill out empty tradition slots, but won't actively replace anything. Most of the time when it would make sense for the AI to replace something, we rather have new cultures appearing instead.

Are there ways to reduce the cost of adding traditions, like with forming a new religion?
Not in the same sense, no. All traditions have a number of various cost modifiers, meant to represent how "compatible" your culture is with any given tradition. The best way to have traditions be cheaper, is to try and make your culture fulfill the different requirements.

Can we expect related events to fire during the establishment period? For example, I could see a crop failure occurring when your culture transitions from one farming technique/practice to another.
That could certainly be a good source for some additional flavor, but no. We don't have any such events.

• 15Like
Reactions:
This is mainly a player facing tool, meant to provide additional ways for you to shape your culture more freely. The AI will fill out empty tradition slots, but won't actively replace anything. Most of the time when it would make sense for the AI to replace something, we rather have new cultures appearing instead.

Ok nice, was affraid the AI would try crazy stuff if they could when you lost the culture head position. Good to know.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Wow this is really looking amazing.
I am hyped about trying it out in my games and very excited to see the mess it will create in multiplayer games. Speak of diversity beyond any dreams. Every player a different culture and religion :)

• 3Haha
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Will scripts matter at all in the game? A language can be written in multiple scripts (such as Korean with hanja and hangul), and it would be an additional level of complexity to language, with scripts having a compatability level with the language they are used with (such as Cyrillic having a very high compatability with Slavic languages and Latin having a lower compatability).

Perhaps adopting Arabic script as a Muslim will get you more prestige or opinion with other Muslim or perhaps there could be options to adopt or enforce a certain script if you rule over a large foreign realm. Perhaps Norse rulers could have the option to stick with the Norse script or adopt Latin. Perhaps languages without a script could have some events toward either adopting a nearby script or creating their own, with the latter depending on your learning stat.

These are all just examples of what you could do, though I understand wholly if this is far beyond the scope of what the DLC hopes to accomplish.

• 5Love
Reactions: