Quality of life - anomalies and special projects are headache inducing, they don't need to be

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mastikator

Technocrat
16 Badges
Jul 2, 2017
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris
One thing that has been a huge personal point of frustration in Stellaris has been anomalies, specifically how many anomalies lead to "special projects". The BIG problem with this is that it doesn't automatically get worked on.

Here is how an anomaly currently works
  1. (popup) Anomaly is found, you have three choices: ignore, begin research, begin research with different scientist
  2. (click research) Anomaly is researched
  3. (popup) Anomaly is finished researching, you get a description of the outcome and often a choice that either creates a special project or an influence bonus
  4. (click special project option) you choose the special research option, it just has a "OK" button
  5. (open up situation panel) you have to then find the special project in the situation
  6. (select special project from list) you find it and go to it
  7. (game pans to system with special project)
  8. (click on science ship) you find and click on the science ship
  9. (right click on project) you order the science ship to research the project
  10. Done
Wow that is a lot of steps right? A lot of unnecessary and frustrating steps, frustrating because you have dozens of these special projects every game and it only creates head ache for the player. If a dev reads this please understand that this is actually headache inducing and pointless. We could do so much better
  1. (popup) Anomaly is found, you have three choices: ignore, begin research, begin research with different scientist
  2. (click research) Anomaly is researched
  3. (popup) Anomaly is finished researching, you get a description of the outcome and often a choice that either creates a special project or an influence bonus
  4. (click special project option) the science ship that finished the anomaly immediately begins researching the special project
  5. Done
We need only 2 points of interaction, the game prompts us with a choice -> we choose and the busy work is automated, the game gives result and gives us a new choice -> we choose and once again the busy work is automated, when you choose to do the special project that should also begin the special project, not just leave it for later. I don't understand how this problem has remained since the games release. This part of the game is so painful.

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Problem with this is that power gamers are delaying the start of the project by purpose until their science output is high enough (the amount of science you get from most events is "x months of your current science output". If your simplification would be introduced it should be a separate choice, not the only one.

Reactions:
Problem with this is that power gamers are delaying the start of the project by purpose until their science output is high enough (the amount of science you get from most events is "x months of your current science output". If your simplification would be introduced it should be a separate choice, not the only one.
You can delay the anomaly or halt the science ship from completing a project. IMO what power gamers do to exploit game mechanics should not be used as an excuse. I don't care what power gamers do. The game should be pleasant for all gamers, the exploiters can find new loopholes if they prefer

• 2Like
Reactions:
I don't care what power gamers do. The game should be pleasant for all gamers
What a beautiful example of an oxymoron :D

Power gamers are a part of all gamers, giving them a separate button would give both types of gamers the option to play their preferred way and wouldn't harm anyone.

Reactions:
What a beautiful example of an oxymoron :D

Power gamers are a part of all gamers, giving them a separate button would give both types of gamers the option to play their preferred way and wouldn't harm anyone.
Power gamers can find a way to cope with a better quality of life. I gave examples of how they would. I can again if you're interested: do the anomaly later. This improvement would not diminish the experience for power gamers. It would make it better for power gamers too.

You know, quoting only half of someone's post and ignoring the part that actually addresses the complaint your making is obtuse and unhelpful. You should read the whole comment and take the whole paragraph in mind when responding to someone so you don't make this obvious mistake.

Just to say it again: power gamers would just delay the anomaly if they want to delay the outcome of the anomaly. I said so before and I'm saying it a third time now so, hopefully you don't miss it again.

• 2Like
Reactions:
And I gave a solution which is good for both groups by saying "If your simplification would be introduced it should be a separate choice" which I specified to be a separate button, your suggestion would be a part of this solution without taking the old way away from the players who liked this.

No idea why you are reacting in such an agressive way to this...
You know, quoting only half of someone's post and ignoring the part that actually addresses the complaint your making is obtuse and unhelpful. You should read the whole comment and take the whole paragraph in mind when responding to someone so you don't make this obvious mistake.
Again (clos to) an oxymoron, you are complaining about that I haven't addressed every single word of your post while you are ignoring completely my main point with the an additional button.
Just to say it again: power gamers would just delay the anomaly if they want to delay the outcome of the anomaly. I said so before and I'm saying it a third time now so, hopefully you don't miss it again.
I happily give this back and further suggest you read this link: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/read-me-toxicity-infraction-changes.1065125/

Reactions:
And I gave a solution which is good for both groups by saying "If your simplification would be introduced it should be a separate choice" which I specified to be a separate button, your suggestion would be a part of this solution without taking the old way away from the players who liked this.

No idea why you are reacting in such an agressive way to this...

Again (clos to) an oxymoron, you are complaining about that I haven't addressed every single word of your post while you are ignoring completely my main point with the an additional button.

I happily give this back and further suggest you read this link: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/read-me-toxicity-infraction-changes.1065125/
The additional button you keep asking for already exists. "Leave be for now" already exists as an option in the actual game. This is the fourth time I'm telling you. Oh my god.

In the OP I wrote this
What you do is you choose "ignore" if you want to delay it for whatever reason. There are many valid reasons why you'd prefer to leave an anomaly, like preferring to survey a bunch of systems before doing anomalies, or preferring to gain the tech benefit after you've increased your number of research labs.
The ability to do what you want to do is contained in the very first step. A "I am a power gamer plz do power gamer thing" button doesn't need to exist because the option to do the Power Game Move™ already exists. Why are you being super obtuse about this? Can you please acknowledge that I've addressed this extra button issue you want 5 times now, or tell me how the "Leave Be For Now" button which already exists and will continue to exist is not good enough instead of pretending like I didn't address it?

• 2Like
Reactions: