• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there a way to ensure that historical bloodlines are passed through matrilineal unions? I have a bloodline in our mod, where the historical founder is from dynasty A, and the heads of three different 'present day' dynasties (let's call them B, C and D) are all canonically members of the bloodline. I have set up the bloodline in the character history file like so:
Code:
    797.1.1 = {
        create_bloodline = {
            type = specific_bloodline # type defined in bloodlines file
        }
    }
and the bloodline itself defined like this:
Code:
specific_bloodline = {
    picture = picture = GFX_bloodlines_symbol_sunni
    inheritance = patrilineal
    allow_bastards = no
    # effects of the bloodline go here
    flags = { historical_bloodline bloodline_endearing }
}
And that duly gives the bloodline to the founder and all his male-line descendants. But the male line dies out. The last member has a sister, and she's married matrilineally to a member of another dynasty; his history has the following clause:
Code:
    925.1.1 = { add_matrilineal_spouse = 62248 } # 62248 is the daughter of a patrilineal descendant of the founder
But despite that, the descendants of this couple do not get the bloodline.

So I added a clause to their son's history:
Code:
    927.1.1 = { 
        birth = yes 
        effect = {
            add_to_bloodline = specific_bloodline
        }
    }
But that makes no difference. What am I missing?

Thanks,

nd

So I added a clause to their son's history:
Code:
    927.1.1 = { 
        birth = yes 
        effect = {
            add_to_bloodline = specific_bloodline
        }
    }
But that makes no difference. What am I missing?

Thanks,

nd

'add_to_bloodline' takes a bloodline scope, not a bloodline type.

Also, from what I read on the wiki, this situation requires the bloodline to have 'matrilineal_override = yes' to work as desired:

If set, in matrilineal marriages or when there's no known father, the mother will be able to pass on the bloodline even if it is patrilineal, and the father will be able to pass on the bloodline even if it is matrilineal. Defaults to "yes"; set to "no" to disable.

'add_to_bloodline' takes a bloodline scope, not a bloodline type.

Also, from what I read on the wiki, this situation requires the bloodline to have 'matrilineal_override = yes' to work as desired.
How do I scope to a specific bloodline from inside a history file, please?

According to the wiki, matrilineal_override is 'yes' by default - I have it set to 'no' on another bloodline in the same area, and the two bloodlines display differently in-game.

Thanks,

nd

How do I scope to a specific bloodline from inside a history file, please?

According to the wiki, matrilineal_override is 'yes' by default - I have it set to 'no' on another bloodline in the same area, and the two bloodlines display differently in-game.

Thanks,

nd

The same way you do it in normal script. 'effect'-clauses in history files contain normal script. You may prefer to use 'propagate_bloodline_from' in the mother's character block instead, to ensure all descendants of the son also get the bloodline, since 'effect'-blocks in history files aren't executed until after starting a game.

The same way you do it in normal script. 'effect'-clauses in history files contain normal script. You may prefer to use 'propagate_bloodline_from' in the mother's character block instead, to ensure all descendants of the son also get the bloodline, since 'effect'-blocks in history files aren't executed until after starting a game.
OK, I'm gradually working this out. propagate_bloodline_from is clearly the command I need, but how do I scope to a bloodline, rather than a bloodline type, in a history file? I tried this:
Code:
    927.1.1 = { 
        birth = yes 
        c_62248 = {
            random_owned_bloodline = {
                effect = {
                    propagate_bloodline_from = ROOT
                }
            }
        }
    }
in the history block for the first intended bloodline member in dynasty B, where his mother's ID is 62248. This doesn't propagate the bloodline, and also has the weird effect of disabling every successive date block for that character, so that he appears alive (and lacking his distinctive nickname) when play begins. The same happens if I use "mother = {" instead of "c_62248 = {".

It really is strange that there's no way to scope to a specific bloodline by name.

nd

OK, I'm gradually working this out. propagate_bloodline_from is clearly the command I need, but how do I scope to a bloodline, rather than a bloodline type, in a history file? I tried this:
Code:
    927.1.1 = { 
        birth = yes 
        c_62248 = {
                effect = {
                }
            }
        }
    }
in the history block for the first intended bloodline member in dynasty B, where his mother's ID is 62248. This doesn't propagate the bloodline, and also has the weird effect of disabling every successive date block for that character, so that he appears alive (and lacking his distinctive nickname) when play begins. The same happens if I use "mother = {" instead of "c_62248 = {".

It really is strange that there's no way to scope to a specific bloodline by name.

nd

It should be formatted like this:
Code:
927.1.1 = { 
    birth = yes 
    effect = {
		c_62248 = {
            }
        }
    }
}

I don't know if ROOT can be used here, but the alternative would be to simply use the son's character ID directly.

Is it possible to allow a culture to Overrule a religion on Divine Marriage. Like Allow it when it wouldn't be? If so how?

Been trying to suss out what leads to various murders. Spymasters can be killed when scheming, but other than that I thought murders could only happen via plots.

However, during testing, I've had the "discover_plots" code on, yet one of my vassals, who is also a son, "died under suspicious circumstances."

Not a spymaster or any other councilor, and there was no plot to kill him. What could have caused this? He was carousing at the time, if that makes a difference.

Been trying to suss out what leads to various murders. Spymasters can be killed when scheming, but other than that I thought murders could only happen via plots.

However, during testing, I've had the "discover_plots" code on, yet one of my vassals, who is also a son, "died under suspicious circumstances."

Not a spymaster or any other councilor, and there was no plot to kill him. What could have caused this? He was carousing at the time, if that makes a difference.

It's possible to be eaten by someone else while carousing, though it's pretty rare.

Gross. I'll look into it. Thanks. Is that the only possibility that comes to mind for you?
It came to mind because you mentioned he was carousing. If you want to find all possible non-murder plot causes of death, search all vanilla event files for 'death = {'

It came to mind because you mentioned he was carousing. If you want to find all possible non-murder plot causes of death, search all vanilla event files for 'death = {'

That might be insufficient, if it's wrapped in a scripted_effect (I don't know if any suspicious circumstances deaths are, but stuff like leave_court_and_die_effect exists).

Posted this in the general forums, but suggested to ask here:

I keep getting kicked out of Societies (ok, they are modded societies, but the mods don't touch the DLC the event ID (from Monks and Mystics) is associated with (in case it helps, the Societies are from LF The Society of Seduction and from Tentacled Dreams the Dagon Cult). Haven't actually tried with any of the default Societies, but I guess I will, but I tent to have too much fun in the other ones. I THINK the event is MMM.10019 (lacking the qualifications, but I still have the qualifications). And I will get kicked out even if I'm the Grandmaster of said society (multiple times I reach level 4, then get kicked out immediately).

Posted this in the general forums, but suggested to ask here:

I keep getting kicked out of Societies (ok, they are modded societies, but the mods don't touch the DLC the event ID (from Monks and Mystics) is associated with (in case it helps, the Societies are from LF The Society of Seduction and from Tentacled Dreams the Dagon Cult). Haven't actually tried with any of the default Societies, but I guess I will, but I tent to have too much fun in the other ones. I THINK the event is MMM.10019 (lacking the qualifications, but I still have the qualifications). And I will get kicked out even if I'm the Grandmaster of said society (multiple times I reach level 4, then get kicked out immediately).

Societies have a `potential`-trigger clause that must be satisfied to remain part of the society. That's where I would start looking.

Societies have a `potential`-trigger clause that must be satisfied to remain part of the society. That's where I would start looking.
For the LF Society, (maybe I'm looking at the wrong potential), but there's "potential = { } #no rules" For Tentacle Dreams, it's potential = {secret_religion = FROM} (removed the formatting), and once you found your Tentacle religion, the society is supposed to dissolve. No, I'm being kicked out seeming randomly.

Question on advisor graphics, originally posted in general forum:

So when converting to islam or orthodoxy, the way your advisors are represented on the game map (not sure if theres a specific name for those figures - pawns?) changes to the standard set for those religions. But what if I like my existing norse or central asian or whatever advisors and want to keep them? Presumably theres a way to change this in the game files, since it doesnt apply to all religions, but the experimental edits I made didnt seem to change this. To be clear, I'm not talking about the religious advisor changing, that makes sense to me, but the economy, military, etc, advisors. If anyone knows how to change this, it would be appreciated to get some help!

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, searching didnt bring anything up. Thanks in advance!

Question on advisor graphics, originally posted in general forum:

So when converting to islam or orthodoxy, the way your advisors are represented on the game map (not sure if theres a specific name for those figures - pawns?) changes to the standard set for those religions. But what if I like my existing norse or central asian or whatever advisors and want to keep them? Presumably theres a way to change this in the game files, since it doesnt apply to all religions, but the experimental edits I made didnt seem to change this. To be clear, I'm not talking about the religious advisor changing, that makes sense to me, but the economy, military, etc, advisors. If anyone knows how to change this, it would be appreciated to get some help!

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, searching didnt bring anything up. Thanks in advance!

Hopefully the following is enough to get you to where you want to go.

dlc007.zip contains interface\muslim_councillors.gfx. Inside are paths to 3D models to use for the vanilla council on the map. If you put a copy of this file in your mod and change the paths to different councillor models, that would likely have the desired effect.

Hello. I am trying to make my own custom society. I have everything up and running pretty well but when i go over the silver metal (the one that describes your heir) it crashes. Would anyone be able to assist me on this?