Employee survey at Paradox Interactive alleges gender discrimination and “mistreatment”

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Reactions:
I think this problem may be the cause of recruitment difficulties. It is very likely that this problem has been known for a long time in the middle of the world which certainly did not make a good ad for paradox. This situation must be resolved quickly by paradox because problems of this kind tarnish a company's image for a long time.
I agree, but lets not just think about the company's image here and other PR stuff. Let's also stop and think empathetically about how people feel when subjected to this kind of behavior, and especially from people who are their supervisors. The fact that this came out at all is something, as too many incidents go unreported. I will give the company credit for allowing this very discussion to occur, and not shutting it down. I pray for everyone's sake things get better, and not just for looks, but so the talented workers at the company don't lose the spark that made them want to join the industry in the first place.

Reactions:
I agree, but lets not just think about the company's image here and other PR stuff. Let's also stop and think empathetically about how people feel when subjected to this kind of behavior, and especially from people who are their supervisors. The fact that this came out at all is something, as too many incidents go unreported. I will give the company credit for allowing this very discussion to occur, and not shutting it down. I pray for everyone's sake things get better, and not just for looks, but so the talented workers at the company don't lose the spark that made them want to join the industry in the first place.
What kind of behavior? You have no information on what has happened.

Reactions:
What kind of behavior? You have no information on what has happened.
We don't have the full picture, no, but it's a stretch to call what we have 'no information.' We know that 44% of the employees surveyed said they were mistreated somehow, and that women were more than twice as likely to say they were mistreated than men. The reports were of a systemic culture of harassment where high-ranking harassers were shielded by the company. We know the relevant unions at Paradox are concerned enough to want to take action. We know that the CEO did something offensive to an employee in 2018, and while we don't know what it was, we know he had to undergo coaching and training not to do it again -- something a company rarely would want to shell out the expenses for if it were a minor offense. And we also can be pretty sure that one incident does not a whole culture make, so whatever he's apologizing for (which he's carefully avoiding naming), it's at best one part of a company-wide problem.

It's pretty clear, from all of this, that there's something bad going on at Paradox. How bad? We can't know for sure. It could be thoughtless casual sexism, or it could be as bad as what's been going on at Activision-Blizzard. At this point, I'm mostly going to be watching for reports from the unions. They're the ones with the closest possible involvement that's not in the hands of the company that's been shielding the perpetrators. If they eventually say that Paradox has thoroughly cleaned house and it's now a comfortable and safe environment to work in, I'll trust them and be open to future Paradox products. If they don't, there are countless other ways I can spend my money.

• 8Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
We don't have the full picture, no, but it's a stretch to call what we have 'no information.' We know that 44% of the employees surveyed said they were mistreated somehow, and that women were more than twice as likely to say they were mistreated than men. The reports were of a systemic culture of harassment where high-ranking harassers were shielded by the company. We know the relevant unions at Paradox are concerned enough to want to take action. We know that the CEO did something offensive to an employee in 2018, and while we don't know what it was, we know he had to undergo coaching and training not to do it again -- something a company rarely would want to shell out the expenses for if it were a minor offense. And we also can be pretty sure that one incident does not a whole culture make, so whatever he's apologizing for (which he's carefully avoiding naming), it's at best one part of a company-wide problem.

It's pretty clear, from all of this, that there's something bad going on at Paradox. How bad? We can't know for sure. It could be thoughtless casual sexism, or it could be as bad as what's been going on at Activision-Blizzard. At this point, I'm mostly going to be watching for reports from the unions. They're the ones with the closest possible involvement that's not in the hands of the company that's been shielding the perpetrators. If they eventually say that Paradox has thoroughly cleaned house and it's now a comfortable and safe environment to work in, I'll trust them and be open to future Paradox products. If they don't, there are countless other ways I can spend my money.

Well that's just the newspaper interpretation of the report. We haven't seen this "informal survey" done on a union slack channel. Mistreatment is a pretty broad term. I'll just say, its hard to jump to strong conclusions based on leaks of an union survey. I've seen myself up close how media can spin something and it starts to grow and grow till it is in no way representative of the facts on the ground.

I don't think they need the consumer boycotting their products at the moment. In the end all employees want to see their work played and enjoyed and at the same time have a good work environment.

Reactions:
People are free to leave.
So, if this is an accurate survey, it's on the employees being subjected to a toxic bullying and harassing environment to quit and subject themselves to a loss of income and security, rather than expect a healthy work environment? Is that really what you are suggesting, that people punish themselves for other people's unacceptable behavior?

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Culture of silence
A new report published by Swedish daily newspaper Svenska Dagbladet (paywall) has detailed a "culture of silence" at Paradox Interactive, the developer behind strategy game hits such as Crusader Kings, Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis.

Reactions:
The latest:

That actually is a separate issue/incident from the Union-conducted Survey of Employees, not even the same thing.
The former/again CEO was being transparent about a specific/single incident in 2018 between him and one employee, not at all toward what the Survey was asking of the unionized employees. I wouldn't call it "The latest" - it's old news, renewed due to ongoing issues.

Having said that, the union did conduct these surveys, in a union setting. Bias, anyone? The unions have incentive to bring leverage against employers, especially one such as Paradox that is a Public Company with shares of stock in the market, which translates to - Paradox has deeper pockets than the average game company to convert their Market Cap value (in share value) into currency and pay their employees more money.

This entire affair comes off as a Union-arranged scheme to gain leverage in the next collective bargaining agreement. Yes - I know, they already signed a collective bargaining agreement a while ago, but that's not how this works. Some of you are young and naïve, and haven't been in the workplace at all, or not for long, and perhaps haven't had to deal with unions. I've been in the workplace in USA and Europe, with quite a bit of familiarity with union operations, and it isn't unusual for the unions to go as far as encouraging a going response of their employees toward employers for leverage. I'm not saying the Union reps told the PDX employees what answers to put into the survey, but these union (often closed-door) sessions aren't as touchy-feelie as you think, they aren't there to support your emotional well being, they're playing a game (literally - gaming the system) to create leverage at any given opportunity, that will bring higher wages for their unionized employees. More wages trends toward higher union dues, everyone gets +1 ducats per month.

The world is not always what it seems, nor is news always what you initially read. And that is - if you actually read it, and not just the headline for the hyperlink.

EDIT: And to be transparent myself, I am as much a critic of Paradox as any registered Forum user, as evidenced in this recent thread. I inserted my opinion in this thread to bring some balance to the conversation, not to be either pro-Paradox or anti-union, but to simply inform, especially those who are not as well informed of the fact that some Unions conduct collective operations, aligned protests, coordinated actions -- so that as a group they appear to hold a stronger position from which to negotiate.

Last edited:
Reactions:
It is sad to see that fans are willing to forgive everything just to get their favorite products. It explains a lot about today's society, the many problems in the video game industry and the lack of improvements. These same people would rather deny and refute everything than question the studio which, like any other, is subject to the same problems.

The lives of the employees should be much more important than the games produced. I believe that real fans should care about this and make Paradox a model by correcting its faults, rather than denying everything and continuing to turn a blind eye.

I'm personally as disappointed by the revelations, even if some of them are not new, as by the answers given, which are very timid and similar in form to those of the big troubled studios. I believed for a long time in the exemplary nature of Paradox, but it is nothing of the sort.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Having said that, the union did conduct these surveys, in a union setting. Bias, anyone? The unions have incentive to bring leverage against employers, especially one such as Paradox that is a Public Company with shares of stock in the market, which translates to - Paradox has deeper pockets than the average game company to convert their Market Cap value (in share value) into currency and pay their employees more money.

This entire affair comes off as a Union-arranged scheme to gain leverage in the next collective bargaining agreement. Yes - I know, they already signed a collective bargaining agreement a while ago, but that's not how this works. Some of you are young and naïve, and haven't been in the workplace at all, or not for long, and perhaps haven't had to deal with unions. I've been in the workplace in USA and Europe, with quite a bit of familiarity with union operations, and it isn't unusual for the unions to go as far as encouraging a going response of their employees toward employers for leverage. I'm not saying the Union reps told the PDX employees what answers to put into the survey, but these union (often closed-door) sessions aren't as touchy-feelie as you think, they aren't there to support your emotional well being, they're playing a game (literally - gaming the system) to create leverage at any given opportunity, that will bring higher wages for their unionized employees. More wages trends toward higher union dues, everyone gets +1 ducats per month.

The world is not always what it seems, nor is news always what you initially read. And that is - if you actually read it, and not just the headline for the hyperlink.
This part of your response is wildly conspiratorial and kind of weird in general.

There is no "scheme". The point of collective bargaining is to improve worker conditions. Part of that is identifying existing problems. You write as if the union is some sort of nefarious outside entity instead of being comprised of quite a lot of people at paradox.

This article is really worrying, especially the part about hiring a known harasser to a senior position and letting him maintain the same behaviour for years.

Reactions:
This part of your response is wildly conspiratorial and kind of weird in general.

There is no "scheme". The point of collective bargaining is to improve worker conditions. Part of that is identifying existing problems. You write as if the union is some sort of nefarious outside entity instead of being comprised of quite a lot of people at paradox.
How do you know there is no "scheme" in play? Are you representative of the PDX employees, or their union leader? I'm humored a bit that suddenly zero-comment/activity accounts pile on to express their "Disagree" tags on my comment also. As I said, some of you are young and naïve in these matters.

Surveys such as this, held by the Union, offer the opportunity to "create leverage." Yes or No? That's a basic fact, whether anyone here faces it or not. Unions are advertised as supporting and protecting workers, but they trend toward leveraging worker pay increases primarily in the modern day. Find any ongoing Union Strike in the world right now - on average, is that Strike for "working conditions" or pay levels (to include indirect compensation such as retirement and benefits)? You will find that pay levels are >50% of the reasons for the ongoing Strikes, and ever since the post-Industrial Revolution era that included child labor and horrific factory working conditions, where Unions had more of a workplace-safety perspective, the trends have changed from workplace-safety to wage and benefits enhancements.

Reactions:
How do you know there is no "scheme" in play? Are you representative of the PDX employees, or their union leader? I'm humored a bit that suddenly zero-comment/activity accounts pile on to express their "Disagree" tags on my comment also. As I said, some of you are young and naïve in these matters.

Surveys such as this, held by the Union, offer the opportunity to "create leverage." Yes or No? That's a basic fact, whether anyone here faces it or not. Unions are advertised as supporting and protecting workers, but they trend toward leveraging worker pay increases primarily in the modern day. Find any ongoing Union Strike in the world right now - on average, is that Strike for "working conditions" or pay levels (to include indirect compensation such as retirement and benefits)? You will find that pay levels are >50% of the reasons for the ongoing Strikes, and ever since the post-Industrial Revolution era that included child labor and horrific factory working conditions, where Unions had more of a workplace-safety perspective, the trends have changed from workplace-safety to wage and benefits enhancements.
Just check their reviews on glassdoor, they confirm everything mentioned in OP.

Reactions:
Just check their reviews on glassdoor, they confirm everything mentioned in OP.
And just how does a Glassdoor review confirm anything in the OP? Regardless if sporadic individual reviews or collective data-dumping of Glassdoor reviews -- You don't think the Union can encourage Glassdoor reviews? Ah, the naivete here...

Reactions:
And just how does a Glassdoor review confirm anything in the OP? Regardless if sporadic individual reviews or collective data-dumping of Glassdoor reviews -- You don't think the Union can encourage Glassdoor reviews? Ah, the naivete here...
Mate, just take a look at EU4's state after the outsourcing to BCN. If you treat your employees like sh*# you getsh*# (in this case sh*##% games). Simple as that.

Reactions:
I see a lot of talk about a toxic environment and a culture of silence, but very little of actual substance.
And you seem to have missed that these same individuals stated a fear of speaking more openly for fear of jeopardizing their jobs at other companies because it's like a big happy family that if you speak up with aunt suzie uncle joey's gonna hear about it.

• 1Like
Reactions: