I think Johan and Paradox Tinto are secretly working in EU5

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Anyway. About mission trees.

I actually like more the mission trees than the old mission system.

Though I think it should be more historical and less fantasy world.

One of the best thing about mission trees, specially if well done, is that it helps the AI to have a bit of historical railroading with the permanent claims. Before missions trees everything was very random and countries didn't expand in their historical borders.
In my eyes the 15th century were a time where everything was very random. If I want railroaded history I watch a documentary. Replayability = 0.

Reactions:
Anyway. About mission trees.

I actually like more the mission trees than the old mission system.

Though I think it should be more historical and less fantasy world.

One of the best thing about mission trees, specially if well done, is that it helps the AI to have a bit of historical railroading with the permanent claims. Before missions trees everything was very random and countries didn't expand in their historical borders.
With mission trees and diets we get best of both worlds. Issue is just when mission trees are poorly designed, like the mansa musa part of mali

• 3Like
Reactions:
In my eyes the 15th century were a time where everything was very random. If I want railroaded history I watch a documentary. Replayability = 0.
Things were influx, but if England is fated to have war of the roses due to a 0/0/0 king even if the war in France goes well, why can't we have mission trees to help get the Ottomans into Egypt on time

Reactions:
Issue is just when mission trees are poorly designed,
This is exactly my point. EU4's mission trees have proven that they are a good mechanic for missions, though most of the countries mission trees are terrible, but it's not because the mechanic is bad, it's because of poor design work.

For example this:
- Spain mission tree: if you have more heavy ships than Great Britain, you get a PU casus belli on Great Britain.
- France mission tree: if control Naples, you get a PU casus belli on Spain

Absurd design.

• 1Like
Reactions:
This is exactly my point. EU4's mission trees have proven that they are a good mechanic for missions, though most of the countries mission trees are terrible, but it's not because the mechanic is bad, it's because of poor design work.

For example this:
- Spain mission tree: if you have more heavy ships than Great Britain, you get a PU casus belli on Great Britain.
- France mission tree: if control Naples, you get a PU casus belli on Spain

Absurd design.
The bigger issue is France still goes Provence to Burgundy to Savoy to Milan to Naples. When it should be provence to naples to milan to savoy as irl.

French PU on Spain is further down tree than spanish PU on England is, but Spain's PU does rely on England being not Catholic, but its balancing not bad design.

I really really really wish however that ny emperor they had added events for getting the PU letting you change to the other tag and your previous tag becoming the junior partner

Reactions:
EU V has likely been in the works for a while, like others have said, though I feel like with each DLC coming out it might increase the urgency for the sequel. Leviathan was a disaster and much of this next update is fixing the mistakes of the previous one while the actual DLC is just missions, skins, events and music probably. The only actual mechanic so far seems to be the different branches of missions but that isn't a gameplay mechanic, really more flavour or effect changes. And quite frankly the content they have made and have had ideas for is highly questionable, doom cities, bankrupting a continent, American empires, etc, and while they might tweak some things they also remain quiet on other fronts and I'm sure they'll come up with another crazy idea in the next DLC. On top of that we know the update will not include map changes of any sorts so there goes a large part of the update. Quite frankly, I only see backlash growing from this point forth and it's just going to speed it up with each new update and DLC. People want provinces, developers don't, people want tags, developers will add releaseables, people want logical mechanics, developers release crazy ideas or nothing. The roadmap for EU IV is pretty shaky right now. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Regardless of all that though, I do seriously hope for EU V soon. The series needs a shakeup and to the core, not another layer of paint on a broken wall of a crumbling house. Even the devs have repeatedly stated they can't do things because of old coding, even just tweaking starting Portugal breaks the whole game apparently. I jumped on the EU V train during the Golden Century DDs, I can't even get mad anymore, just disappointed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Ah well, EUIV, EUV, I'm sure I will still be banging on the same issues.

If you excuse me I have to go to the AoE 3 DE forums and wage war on Organ Guns.

• 2Haha
Reactions:
I'm keen for EU5 when it comes out, but, tbh, I'm in no rush. But also, I don't want much more DLC from EU4 either. I just want them to put EU4 in as good a state as they can and then let it rest for a few years and let us relax with it, and then EU5 can come out in 2025 or something.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm keen for EU5 when it comes out, but, tbh, I'm in no rush. But also, I don't want much more DLC from EU4 either. I just want them to put EU4 in as good a state as they can and then let it rest for a few years and let us relax with it, and then EU5 can come out in 2025 or something.
We're owed some free patches considering the old free patch paid patch schedule

Reactions:
New Missions, the way they are designed, are basically just legal cheats and that's the only reason some of you like them.
Stop wasting time on them! They need so much balance testing, it's really a waste of time.
If you can't do better, stop trying.

• 3Haha
Reactions:
Ah well, EUIV, EUV, I'm sure I will still be banging on the same issues.

If you excuse me I have to go to the AoE 3 DE forums and wage war on Organ Guns.

Considering how Victoria III is looking you're probably right lol. I just don't understand what there is against Portugal? Did Portugal beat Sweden 1v1 in a meatball cooking competition? :p

• 4Haha
Reactions:
I'm starting to think a small team is taking a bit of care of EU4, but the main team and Johan are starting to work in EU5 in secret.

This would explain everything.

False. Paradox Tinto still needs more experience. They are working on a small new game (sequel to EU: Crown of the North, also know as Svea Rike III) before trying EU5.

1632110041557.png

The other possible project is additionally a sequel to Two Thrones.

1632110155357.png

• 4Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Hopefully Johan isn't working on EU5 and someone like Podcat is instead.

While I appreciate Podcat for bringing us HoI IV, I have had MAJOR issues with some of his decisions as Game Director for the game and look forward to Arheo's vision. Regarding EU V I'd like Wiz but he's busy at the moment! :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
Honestly I'd love to see an EU5 in like 2 years. Right now I just wanna think about Vic 3.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
When we eventually get around to do EU5, I want to port pretty much 95% of all our events. Thats what we did from eu3 to eu4.
Please don't, playing EU IV right now already feels like browsing the internet with a computer infested with adware. EU IV has become exasperating (also) due to the huge number of meaningless events constantly interrupting the flow of the game; like I am devising a high level strategy and constantly get asked to make a decision as meaningful as deciding if I want more manpower or trade on a near 100% LA province. It gets even dumber/annoying as the country gets bigger with no way to disable the events. Its totally worth it to make those kinds of decisions when said province is just one of 400. >99% of all events are like this. Quality over quantity please (providing you want your game to actually be fun to play and not a f chore).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: