• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nov 22, 2020
The game has changed since the suggestion was originally made, and this no longer seems like a big issue.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree on this being necessary, but it's quite a reasonable suggestion. I'd drop the negative relations though, since it's much easier to get and doesn't require any investment in the way the other options to block the favors do.

Yeah, maybe instead of negative relations, maybe have certain negative traits block (such as "committed genocide penalty, declared war, etc". The total penalty is less important that the circumstance that caused it to appear.

Yeah, maybe instead of negative relations, maybe have certain negative traits block (such as "committed genocide penalty, declared war, etc". The total penalty is less important that the circumstance that caused it to appear.
Even then, I think it should require actual diplomatic investment to block the favor acquisition. You can still be friends with someone who committed a spot of genocide or declared war on you. And even if you aren't friends, that doesn't mean they couldn't have helped you out with something (say, spinning said genocide into something more palatable). You could also decide to purge one alien species for being ugly, while still buddying up to a long time ally.

Isolationist stance, rivalry, and harm relations represent a more deliberate cutting off/worsening of diplomatic ties. It's saying "I don't want to be on friendly terms with you". Furthermore, each of these is a fairly deliberate action. You don't accidentally send an envoy to harm relations (except by mis-click). You can end up committing genocide accidentally (as horrible as it sounds out of context).

I dropped the negative relations suggestion, and added in the genocidal diplomatic stances - purifiers, exterminators, devourers.
(Accidentally, selectively or moderately genocidal empires would not be shielded - only completely genocidal empires.)
Adding the genocidal restriction to favors is a lot like putting some scotch tape over a concrete bunker. Diplomatic arrangements aren't going to happen regardless.

Although you would actually run into some issues, for if you have multiple empires of the same species with at least one being a fanatical purifier (either through lost colony or split off vassals), or for machine empires interacting with Determined Exterminators.