• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

harold lorre

Banned
May 29, 2016
I have always thought since europa universalis II that recreating a medieval history game is very difficult for historical plots. first of all, historical management should be limited to Europe, there are too many states and too many intertwining to recreate them all, dynasties, governments, empires, only in Europe too many. impossible in africa. asia india. america, 2 the provinces have always been a limit for the territories in continuous evolution in the Middle Ages, because in civilization they are based on the cities in eu on a compact territory. example in 1576 the territory of oneglia liguria was given to the savoy, in the game it is not contemplated! because part of the province dawned also tent was of the Savoy di
nasty
Corsica was half Pisan and half Genoese not to mention the maritime republics Pisa Amalfi Genoa

Last edited:
Reactions:
I have always thought since europa universalis II that recreating a medieval history game is very difficult for historical plots. first of all, historical management should be limited to Europe, there are too many states and too many intertwining to recreate them all, dynasties, governments, empires, only in Europe too many. impossible in africa. asia india. america, 2 the provinces have always been a limit for the territories in continuous evolution in the Middle Ages, because in civilization they are based on the cities in eu on a compact territory. example in 1576 the territory of oneglia liguria was given to the savoy, in the game it is not contemplated! because part of the province dawned also tent was of the Savoy di
nasty
Corsica was half Pisan and half Genoese not to mention the maritime republics Pisa Amalfi Genoa
Good thing eu4 happens during the early modern period of European history with the rise of indian and american trade being impossible to represent off map

Reactions:
What's the point of playing a perfect simulation? First that's impossible from dev perspective, since the game have a time spam of almost 400 years, so for late game events being 100% historically simulated your progress would need to be virtually worthless, for exemple, in 1807 the portuguese court fleed to Brazil to avoid being deposed by Napoleon, what if in your game Portugal never colonized Brazil? What if France never went revolutionary? Not to mention the limitations on number of provinces, like the Corsica situation, the devs probably didn't divided it because it would be to small and also because of the high numbers of italian and mediterranean provinces.
Second, playing a complete simulation is in most cases boring, since you most always will know the result of everything, I think the current blend of simulation and sandbox is nice enough

• 2Like
Reactions:
it should be a simulation so it's limited. there are historical states but isn't it a simulation?
There are historical states in Age of Empires, Command and Conquer: Red Alert, and Stalin vs Space Aliens too. Unless you believe these are all also historical simulations, it might be useful to revise quoted argument.

Reactions:
it becomes a ucronia as in hoi si germany had won in stalingrad.
And that's the fun of EU, ex. pick Ulm and become HRE emperor, or reform Al-Andalus as Granada or Sus, if you force everything to be just like RL them you're not playing, you're using your PC for simulating a animated book, although you're free to try a historical run, the game have the mission trees system mainly to help in that

You posted this on both Steam forums and here, I assume you want attention and a reaction?

Edit: I highly recommend people read the steam forum post, it's quite funny

Reactions: