• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The notion that Brazil is anywhere the same level of relevance for the timeframe as Katanga or Oceania is exactly the kind of anglocentrism mentioned earlier in the thread. South America was the source of the wealth of Europe in the modern era, but still hass less tags than a continent not even fully explored by europeans in the timeframe.
they also have to consider who's buying their games.

• 1Like
Reactions:
As a long time fan of EU4 it's not that I'm angry with you. I'm frustrated. You promise features, which are nice on paper but then buggy at launch, then apologise for those but the damage has been done. It also seems like nobody spends time testing the new features. Later the game gets into a playable state but that always feels like you could've done better the first time. Performance is a huge problem indeed, but you only need to run games on a mid range system at speed 5 for a while to notice it, then all it takes is a strong lead developer to curb the features so it is balanced when it comes to performance impact.

• 15Like
Reactions:
Expansions of the map into central Africa
The only region of the world where I think that new provinces and tags were totally unecessary was around Great Lakes in Central Africa, this region was so disconnected from the rest of the world during the entire timeline that it should be a "wasteland" imo.
Australia should have less provinces and North America should have much less tags and provinces, but in my opinion a few playable tags in Polynesia is cool and offer a very different gameplay.

That said, I really hope that EU5 take a more simulationist approach instead of a boardgame approach, and I really hope that the new systems and mechanics of EU5 can make the tribal starts more unique and immersive than in EU4 (where you only start with 1 less institution and a slightly worse government form that can be easily fixed after some time). A tribal nation becoming a world power should be a very hard achievement for players and a successuful tribal AI in the Americas should be a very rare Unicorn.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I really, honestly cannot understand how every update people complain about how their campaign that they've played for months gets ruined. Do people actually play their campaigns at speed 2 in 15 minute chunks every day over a period of months? If I'm playing a campaign it lasts about a week tops, and if I end up losing a few days of gameplay per patch it's no big deal. To me the complaints about "months of gameplay lost" has entered joke/meme territory, like calling minor localization errors literally unplayable.
I'm not one of those that complain about patches breaking saves, as I would rather have the new changes and improvements, but I'm definitely one of those that takes weeks or even months to play a campaign. So no it's not simply a meme, some of us play slower and/or have less time for gaming :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
they also have to consider who's buying their games.
So you're implying that Australia and New Zealand (28 million population combined) are a bigger market than Brazil (211 million population alone)?
While it's not impossible it's... highly improbable.

Also, that's not the only problem. It's consistency in development and extreme bias.there is no excuse for reworking a feature integral to the entire New World and only apllying it to half of it.

• 19Like
Reactions:
That's a misconception on the player part. All "AI Improvement" mod on the workshop does not actually improve the AI. It's just a set of hidden buff and outright cheat that allow the AI to keep up, because there is no way for a modder to make the AI more competent at using vanilla systems.
That's not entirely true. Modders can disable the AI's use of certain mechanics and instead create events to simulate the AI using those mechanics. That way the modder controls when and why the AI will use the mechanic. Certain vanilla mechanics also already have "ai_will_do" sections where the modder can control when and why the AI uses the mechanic without using events, for some reason Paradox rarely uses these sections.

Reactions:
So you're implying that Australia and New Zealand (28 million population combined) are a bigger market than Brazil (211 million population alone)?
not so much much bigger, but more ignored. it's fair enough for this game, of course, but the last big expansion is a good time to give those (we) players some lerrv.

Reactions:
So you're saying there is a room for performance improvement in case of engine rework? 5000 provinces in EU5? ;)

Depending on how frequently the game is made to check things could also make a big difference. It seems strange that governing capacity gets updated while paused, while things like opinion changing nations from hostile/threatened/etc to something else based on certain thresholds is an end-of-month thing, and for some reason "loyal" subjects could retain alliances even after month tick.

Some province stuff seems weirdly instant too. Always tradeoffs between degree of abstraction and performance vs what makes the game play better.

Reactions:
While loudly complaining about the freeze on map dates, I'm genuinly asking what ppl expect from a south america patch

Even this very detailed suggestion only adds 15 tags to the continent, I can't imagine SA ever being that interesting to play in outside andes, with those numbers.

Im not against SA getting overhauled, but the choice be given, I'd rather the last patches focus on sudanic africa and classic eurasia than colonial regions, a proper overhaul of africa would generate more interesting playthroughs than the indigenous people of either americas or oceania

15 more nomadic tags with 80 new provinces in SA will do less than 15 new tags and 80 new provinces in already settled parts of africa

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
Why is it that map changes only started reduce performance immediately after a patch that was incredibly controversial for its huge expansion of pet project (fanfiction really) regions and largely justified in that it wouldn't affect performance?

Is there going to be an apology for all of the people that were told "you're next" who aren't next now? Is there going to be an apology for all of the people shouted down for questioning expansion of areas that did not impact much outside of their own islands? Are map changes going to be acceptable again when some member of the staff wants to do another Scandinavian or Irish or German province expansion because they like the region?

I'm not some nationalist that demands that my region of interest needs to have every city a separate province, but I really do not understand how this suddenly became an issue just after a bunch of devs get to dump their map-mod level content on the game without being extremely cynical about the motivation.

Reactions:
Does this mean mods that change the map will no longer become outdated?
Well, there are two things to look at... if the mod changes the map completely, i would say that any map update in Vanilla would have no impact.

If the mod changes the map in a limited manner and Vanilla doesn't change the map, then, yeah, the mod map won't get outdated.

Reactions:
What I really want from EUIV map is it to be well balanced. Would it be 1000, 2000 or 5000 provinces.
I think it's big mistake to stop on very imbalanced map and declare that there's no way to fix it, so no new provinces or other map changes whatsoever. For me it sounds like the end of the game.

Few last DLC made some regions well over the top with province density compared to others. And now it's clear that there was no long term concept or vision about where to EUIV map was heading.

I would really wish now if province numbers were reduced in North America, HRE, Australia, Siam-Indonesia, maybe even Somalia, East Africa, Mongolia so that map of regions like South America, West Africa, Nubia, China, some European areas would be at least somewhat improved.
Looking for right balance in game mechanics and features is very nice and welcome, but looking for balance in world map overall would be no less important I think.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I don't get why people are upset. Provinces and Tags don't really add favour to a region on their own. If I play a tag at the bottom of Madagascar, I don't then play at the top of Madagascar because they feel the same. North and South America have it the worst, though. All Mayans feel the same, all Inca feel the same, and all tribes feel the same, at least when adding tags in Europe and Asia, they are not all the same size and have large powers to fear.

A few provinces here and there won't make a difference to how I play a region either. I honestly would prefer to have half as many provinces and have my game run twice as fast. Paradox can focus on mechanics to make the game engaging rather than giving more land to map paint.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions: