Below & Beyond: Hotfix #1 - Patch notes

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Portable Grump

♛ Duchess of the CK3 Forums ♛
Community Ambassador
17 Badges
Feb 17, 2020
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Game version
PC: 1007874
Xbox: 1.0.0.29
PlayStation: 01.26

Gameplay Improvements
  • The lander rocket now loads items in increments of 1 instead of 5.
  • Moved the cave-in clearing tech earlier in the tech tree, now appearing between position 5 and 8, instead of as the 13th tech.
  • Change the order in the cargo screens, grouping buildings of the same type together.
  • Rebalance rewards for recurring Recon Center discovery events.
Bug fixes
  • Fixed colonists and drones getting stuck in food stockpiles. Attention: the fix requires the rebuilding of depots and food production buildings that display broken behaviour!
  • Show the Lander Rocket immediately amongst the pinned items on Mars when it does its last second launch as an Asteroid goes out of range.
  • Lander Rocket now properly loads all drones when launching at the last second as an asteroid goes out of range.
  • Lander rocket now only starts loading drones, rovers, crew and prefabs if everything is available.
  • The “died in orbit” trigger will activate only if the crew actually dies.
  • Removed colonists that died in orbit.
  • Cave-ins can be reached more easily by drones to clear.
  • Fixed issue where elevator cargo could get lost if both sides of the elevator requested the same resource.
  • Fixed issue where elevator cargo could not be updated after the initial request.
  • Fixed vehicles cannot be transferred through the elevator using right-click.
  • Ancient Artifact spawns the correct amount of drones.
  • Auto explore of the RC Explorer no longer reveals hidden anomalies.
  • Added missing icons for pinned surface passage and underground passage.
  • Correctly updated pin dialog when transporting RCRover.
  • Fixed incorrect game over condition when colonists died on Asteroids while there were still alive colonists on Mars or the Underground.
  • Fixed issue where cables and pipes were created on the wrong map.
  • Workshifts now properly update while on another map.
  • Prevented refabbing landing and trade pads while they're in use.
  • DLC buildings will be accessible on a new game after loading an old save.
  • Fixed missing Passenger Rocket UI in the resupply menu on old retail save.
  • Cheat panel improvements (available in creative mode only on Windows, Mac, Linux).
And several other underlying code fixes that were presumably causing bugs, especially to save games from before the update.

Platform-specific fixes
  • Fixed startup crash on certain Windows 7 installs.
  • Removed the assert window on Linux.
  • Disconnecting controller issue.
Known issues
  • Dome births cannot be controlled.
  • The game crashes when a lander rocket is departing with drones in cargo while the asteroid moves out of range.
  • Youths, adults, and seniors occupy child-only buildings.
  • Same anomaly events are found multiple times on the surface, breaking the game balance.
  • There is no warning about an unloaded cargo when launching a rocket back to Earth.
  • Crash related to Inner Light Mystery on old retail saves.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 11Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Is the issue with dust storms not happening and not getting any mysteries being worked on?

They were the 2 biggest bugs i was having and i can't see anything in the patch notes about it.

Great work in getting the 1th patch out so fast btw

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is the issue with dust storms not happening and not getting any mysteries being worked on?

They were the 2 biggest bugs i was having and i can't see anything in the patch notes about it.

Great work in getting the 1th patch out so fast btw

Yes, we are working on the issues with the disasters and investigating the problem with mysteries, but we still need a bit more info on the latter, so I hope you won't mind me asking a few questions.

I assume the mysteries are just not appearing in your game at all or there are any other issues with them? Are you playing on PC? Is this new or pre-patch save file?

Lots of good fixes in this patch, thanks for being speedy with it! :) Just here to report that the Seeds Depot still registers as "not yet available" in old savegames. Please check that and add to the Known Issues list.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So, is it intended that we find 50-100+ polymers out on the map, or is this a bug? I really want to play the game, but reading the issues that is currently ongoing, i want to wait for further fixes, because i dont want to restart a savefile in case that is needed. I read players having issues with terraforming, with the new expansion content, mystery and functionality. The known ones, really is a problem for me, since i always make specialized domes, and use kids dome, senior domes etc. Ive been on the receiving end of problems with this game in the past, and had to make a new game after 200+ hours commitment to past save back then. Is there an eta on the next patch of fixes?

Reactions:
Yes, we are working on the issues with the disasters and investigating the problem with mysteries, but we still need a bit more info on the latter, so I hope you won't mind me asking a few questions.

I assume the mysteries are just not appearing in your game at all or there are any other issues with them? Are you playing on PC? Is this new or pre-patch save file?

Thanks for the reply, I've submitted a bug report with 2 saved files where the issue has happened.

All happened on the first below and beyond patch, I haven't tried a game since the hotfix but will message you or submit a bug report with a save file if it happens again. whichever you would prefer. On no save have I had a dust storm in spite of playing on maps that had 3/4 or 4/4 dust storms. Playing with the last war or wildfire
selected I've played multiple games up sol 70 without any mystery events, but I have got the philosopher's stone to work on every playing try.

steam version on pc

I have started every game with the church of the new ark, the last ark game rule and the mystery I wanted selected so maybe it's just the comination that's making it bug, idk.

Surviving Mars is in my opinion the best city builder made in the past 5 years so I wish the team the best in fixing the current issues and on all the new content ye to be released.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Still can't get shuttle hub, as while CO2 jet propulsion started the game as already researched (and showing researched), it does not appear in build menu on a game that was created 2-3 days before this hotfix.
Can't see anything in the notes (unless I overlooked it) - either in awareness of it, or fixing.

(edit) Never mind, submitted a bug report as if i create a new game it's there. Just applies to my save from t'other day I guess - and the others posting about it in the forum.

Last edited:
I haven't tested breakouts yet, but eye anomalies no longer lead to additional bonuses. But research into anomalies that bring science points still leads to triggering additional events with bonuses. This leads to unreasonably high benefits in the form of many bonuses. This needs to be fixed.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I haven't tested breakouts yet, but eye anomalies no longer lead to additional bonuses. But research into anomalies that bring science points still leads to triggering additional events with bonuses. This leads to unreasonably high benefits in the form of many bonuses. This needs to be fixed.
Yeah, the bugged anomaly bonuses rival or become better than alien imprints, what if you get both? Free tech? :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, the bugged anomaly bonuses rival or become better than alien imprints, what if you get both? Free tech? :D
I am not at all against new technologies and other improvements in mechanics in the game. But when, due to the triggering of additional bonuses, I have a final 60% discount on some branches of the technology tree, the game becomes too easy. Also, natural disasters turned off ... An easy walk to the park, not survival on Mars :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thank you. I appreciate it. You've fixed some of the issues I've written about. I appreciate you working on it.

I must say I've been enjoying the ideas and additions in Below and Beyond, and finding the bugs and logic of the implementation rather annoying. Glad to see you're working on it. I would still recommend it as a purchase - especially if you continue to iron out the kinks.

I wrote about the kinks I experienced here & provided guides to parts I had problems with - to help people figure it out - the learning curve is steep.

Last edited:
Is part of the bugs of this DLC that with The Last War event, when your reach %50, the game won't show you more events related? Besides, apart from the Last War error, I was getting some events like on an endless loop, repeating themself around every sol and showing me the same without change if I choose something different every time.

I just flooded Mars by finishing a lake while i had the camera on an asteroid to micro shipping the ressources of to Mars. I didn't start a fresh game after the hotfix (and i'm not willing to start one to test it) but since this issue was mentioned before here on the forum and i didn't see anything like this mentioned neither in the bugfix part nor in the known issues i thought maybe i should mention it.

Game version
PC: 1007874
Xbox: 1.0.0.29
PlayStation: 01.26

Gameplay Improvements
  • The lander rocket now loads items in increments of 1 instead of 5.
  • Moved the cave-in clearing tech earlier in the tech tree, now appearing between position 5 and 8, instead of as the 13th tech.
  • Change the order in the cargo screens, grouping buildings of the same type together.
  • Rebalance rewards for recurring Recon Center discovery events.
Bug fixes
  • Fixed colonists and drones getting stuck in food stockpiles. Attention: the fix requires the rebuilding of depots and food production buildings that display broken behaviour!
  • Show the Lander Rocket immediately amongst the pinned items on Mars when it does its last second launch as an Asteroid goes out of range.
  • Lander Rocket now properly loads all drones when launching at the last second as an asteroid goes out of range.
  • Lander rocket now only starts loading drones, rovers, crew and prefabs if everything is available.
  • The “died in orbit” trigger will activate only if the crew actually dies.
  • Removed colonists that died in orbit.
  • Cave-ins can be reached more easily by drones to clear.
  • Fixed issue where elevator cargo could get lost if both sides of the elevator requested the same resource.
  • Fixed issue where elevator cargo could not be updated after the initial request.
  • Fixed vehicles cannot be transferred through the elevator using right-click.
  • Ancient Artifact spawns the correct amount of drones.
  • Auto explore of the RC Explorer no longer reveals hidden anomalies.
  • Added missing icons for pinned surface passage and underground passage.
  • Correctly updated pin dialog when transporting RCRover.
  • Fixed incorrect game over condition when colonists died on Asteroids while there were still alive colonists on Mars or the Underground.
  • Fixed issue where cables and pipes were created on the wrong map.
  • Workshifts now properly update while on another map.
  • Prevented refabbing landing and trade pads while they're in use.
  • DLC buildings will be accessible on a new game after loading an old save.
  • Fixed missing Passenger Rocket UI in the resupply menu on old retail save.
  • Cheat panel improvements (available in creative mode only on Windows, Mac, Linux).
And several other underlying code fixes that were presumably causing bugs, especially to save games from before the update.

Platform-specific fixes
  • Fixed startup crash on certain Windows 7 installs.
  • Removed the assert window on Linux.
  • Disconnecting controller issue.
Known issues
  • Dome births cannot be controlled.
  • The game crashes when a lander rocket is departing with drones in cargo while the asteroid moves out of range.
  • Youths, adults, and seniors occupy child-only buildings.
  • Same anomaly events are found multiple times on the surface, breaking the game balance.
  • There is no warning about an unloaded cargo when launching a rocket back to Earth.
  • Crash related to Inner Light Mystery on old retail saves.
@Portable Grump i seem to have a “mod Bork” issue once I click “Y” to open menu with build options. it literally gives me that error message and I cant close menu or move to other choices but it’s not frozen and time still moves and I can increase or pause it I just have one question I was under the impression we could use old saves with this dlc and still access the underground?

I am not at all against new technologies and other improvements in mechanics in the game. But when, due to the triggering of additional bonuses, I have a final 60% discount on some branches of the technology tree, the game becomes too easy. Also, natural disasters turned off ... An easy walk to the park, not survival on Mars :)
FWIW there's a mod that fixes the double anomaly rewards which makes the game playable on that end for now.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The stockpile bug made the game entirely unplayable, so many thanks for releasing the patch that fast, much appreciated!
Luckily I had only one of those "black holes" where drones & people got stuck and re-building that farm solved the issue for me.

Wondering if you could help me out here. I've updated the game, gone in, built another food depot. However, I still cannot demolish the broken one because it cannot be emptied, because the colonists are blocking it. What am I doing wrong here?

• 1Like
Reactions: