• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
If I'm interested in Victoria 3 is it worth it to play Victoria 2? Just begun to sink my teeth into EU IV and I got started on Paradox through Stellaris on Console. Just not sure if I should get familiar with Victoria 2 when Victoria 3 is around the corner. I abstained from CK 2 due to dlc price and the arrival of 3. Thoughts? Is it less intuitive than EU IV which I came to from From The Glory?

If I'm interested in Victoria 3 is it worth it to play Victoria 2? Just begun to sink my teeth into EU IV and I got started on Paradox through Stellaris on Console. Just not sure if I should get familiar with Victoria 2 when Victoria 3 is around the corner. I abstained from CK 2 due to dlc price and the arrival of 3. Thoughts? Is it less intuitive than EU IV which I came to from From The Glory?
I played Vicky 2 after getting to know pretty much all the other modern Paradox games, and honestly, it's probably their best game so far. Definitely worth giving it a try, especially if you get it at a discount.

• 1Like
Reactions:
There are a few even less intuitive aspects, and it's definitely got a steeper learning curve than most other Paradox games. On the other hand, there's nothing else on the market that even comes close to handling the economics and internal politics of the 19th Century, or possibly any other timeframe for that matter. The concept of "pops" (units of population with common culture/religion/occupation) with their own agendas and needs sets it apart from everything else out there.

That said, the global market is a problem, since all but the top powers will have trouble sourcing rare commodities regardless of how much money they have to spend. I recall one game as a SE Asian country where I could not obtain fish. Never mind that I had lots of coastline, there simply were no provinces in my country which produced fish, and I couldn't buy any for half the game, while my population raged and revolted for lack of it. The game is amazing in many ways, but sometimes its problems rear their ugly heads and bite you.

If you play a Great Power, the Spheres of Influence mechanics are a game in themselves, and a tedious and repetitive one at that. I don't recommend starting your first game with a GP, otherwise you'll probably get frustrated by it until you learn the mechanics and tricks of Sphering non-GPs and protecting your Sphere of Influence from the other GPs. If you do decide to tackle SOIs, Prussia is a fairly clear "sink or swim" way of diving into it. Note that they can unify with many of the small Germanic states to form the North German Federation without any wars (but a LOT of diplomacy and Influence duels), but ultimately will need to fight France for Alsace-Lorraine in order to form Germany.

My assumption is that V3 is going to the the better part of a year, or possibly quite a bit longer, until release. That's enough time to learn and enjoy V2, although it already appears that very little of V2's mechanics will carry over directly to V3.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
There are a few even less intuitive aspects, and it's definitely got a steeper learning curve than most other Paradox games. On the other hand, there's nothing else on the market that even comes close to handling the economics and internal politics of the 19th Century, or possibly any other timeframe for that matter. The concept of "pops" (units of population with common culture/religion/occupation) with their own agendas and needs sets it apart from everything else out there.

That said, the global market is a problem, since all but the top powers will have trouble sourcing rare commodities regardless of how much money they have to spend. I recall one game as a SE Asian country where I could not obtain fish. Never mind that I had lots of coastline, there simply were no provinces in my country which produced fish, and I couldn't buy any for half the game, while my population raged and revolted for lack of it. The game is amazing in many ways, but sometimes its problems rear their ugly heads and bite you.

If you play a Great Power, the Spheres of Influence mechanics are a game in themselves, and a tedious and repetitive one at that. I don't recommend starting your first game with a GP, otherwise you'll probably get frustrated by it until you learn the mechanics and tricks of Sphering non-GPs and protecting your Sphere of Influence from the other GPs. If you do decide to tackle SOIs, Prussia is a fairly clear "sink or swim" way of diving into it. Note that they can unify with many of the small Germanic states to form the North German Federation without any wars (but a LOT of diplomacy and Influence duels), but ultimately will need to fight France for Alsace-Lorraine in order to form Germany.

My assumption is that V3 is going to the the better part of a year, or possibly quite a bit longer, until release. That's enough time to learn and enjoy V2, although it already appears that very little of V2's mechanics will carry over directly to V3.
Thanks for the information and tips. It is on sale on Steam right now for 25 bucks after tax with all the dlcs so I went ahead and bought it. Looking forward to trying it out, last Victorian era game I played was Imperialism and Victoria 2 seems a bit more complicated. Looks interesting.

Thanks for the information and tips. It is on sale on Steam right now for 25 bucks after tax with all the dlcs so I went ahead and bought it. Looking forward to trying it out, last Victorian era game I played was Imperialism and Victoria 2 seems a bit more complicated. Looks interesting.
Starting tip - Depending on your chosen country, you may need to set your tax sliders to 100% or close to it, or else go bankrupt in a year. Some nations still need to raise extra revenue through tariffs while they promote enough bureaucrats with the National Focus point to raise their Administrative efficiency. Your tax efficiency will be so low that the "actual" tax rate will only be 20-30%. Giving your pops too much spending money is just about as bad as not giving them enough to comfortably live on. Once your tax efficiency starts to increase, you can begin pulling the tax rates down to "normal". It's not entirely intuitive, but you'll figure it out the hard way otherwise.

• 1Like
Reactions: