• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Victoria 3 - Dev Diary #10 - Infrastructure

DD10.png

Hello again and happy Thursday! Today we’re going to follow up on last week’s dev diary about Markets, which touched on Infrastructure but did not explain how it works. Infrastructure is an important mechanic for the economic simulation of the game, simulating the cost of moving goods over land and creating the necessary, well, infrastructure to support wide-scale industrialization.

So what is Infrastructure then? Infrastructure is represented by two distinct values that each State has: Infrastructure and Infrastructure Usage, which together determine its Market Access. So long as the Infrastructure in the State is greater than or equal to the Infrastructure Usage, everything is fine and the State maintains a Market Access of 100%, but if usage starts exceeding the available Infrastructure, Market Access will be reduced by an amount proportional to how much of the usage is not being serviced.

For example, if a state has an Infrastructure of 45 with a usage of 90, its Market Access will only be 50%. Market Access and its effects is something we’ve already covered in the previous development diary, but to briefly go over it again, a low Market Access means that a State is unable to fully integrate its local market into the National Market, which can lead to adverse price conditions from local over-or undersupply of goods.

Minsk has somewhat overextended their local Infrastructure, but with a large population and mostly staple production both their industries and consumers will probably be fine until the railway arrives
image3.png

This imbalance goes in both directions. If you have one bread basket state and one iron mining state, and they both have perfect Market Access, the price of iron and grain will be the same in both. If the iron mining state’s Market Access is reduced, the market’s price of iron goes up while the local price of iron in the mining state goes down. But in addition to this the iron mining state will be unable to source as much grain, raising the local price there but reducing its price somewhat across the rest of the market.

If your consumption matches your local production, as is often the case in rural states where the production consists of staple goods your people require, this isn’t such a big problem! You could perhaps even build some simple Textile Mills and Livestock Ranches in the same underdeveloped state to provide cheap wool clothing if the local population is large enough to demand it in sufficient quantity. But if you’re looking to manufacture more complex goods (or use more demanding Production Methods) you need goods you might only be able to source from another state in your market, or which you can only import from a foreign nation. These goods in turn might be lucrative but only if there are buyers for them - buyers who can actually afford them. Your schemes to get rich off Luxury Clothes and Porcelain won’t work if you can’t reach all the far-flung wealthy Pops of your empire.

The Infrastructure Usage of a State is determined by which types of Buildings exist in a State and which level they are. Generally, the more urban and specialized the building, the more Infrastructure it uses per level, so Chemical Industries (a heavy industry building) will use several times more Infrastructure than a Rye Farms building of the same level.

Minsk’s urban buildings - the Furniture Manufacturies, Textile Mills, even the Government Administrations - account for 2/3rds of its Infrastructure usage despite employing the same number of people as the Logging Camps and Rye Farms. Subsistence Farms and Urban Centers do not use Infrastructure, the former because its production is nearly all for domestic use and the latter because the Infrastructure it provides cancel out the Infrastructure it requires.
image2.png

Infrastructure is provided and modified by numerous sources. Just about all States in the game have at least a little bit of Infrastructure based on the technology level of the country that owns it and its state of incorporation (colonies have lower infrastructure than incorporated states, for example). However, over the course of the game, the most crucial aspect of your Infrastructure is the size of your Railway network. As we’ve previously mentioned, Railways is a Building that produces Transportation, an intangible good sold to Pops, but they are also your main source of Infrastructure.

This means that if you want to industrialize a State, it isn’t enough to simply build those industries there and have the Pops available to work in them, you also need to ensure that said industries have enough infrastructure to support them. This of course has a variety of costs involved in that infrastructure-providing Railways need both Pops to work them and access to goods like Coal and Engines. There are alternatives that can be used in the short-term, such as using your Authority on a Road Maintenance decree to ensure the populace don’t allow the roads to fall into disrepair or become unsafe, but such options will never be sufficient in themselves for large-scale industrialization. Of course, Railways also grow more efficient over the course of the game with such inventions as Diesel trains and Electricity, requiring less levels of rail to support a certain number of Buildings.

This early Railway has rapidly become one of Minsk’s best employers, at least for Pops with the qualifications to become Machinists. Unfortunately few people do, so the Infrastructure production is not currently as high as it might be if the railway was fully staffed. Ticket prices, however, are sky high.
image4.png

Our intention for railways is that they must be able to find their way back to the market capital, or an exit port destined for the market capital, in order to be useful. In effect this means that any railway can only provide infrastructure up to the amount of infrastructure provided by the best adjacent railway that connects it to the market capital. If you want good access to the Sulfur Mines in Aginskoye for your Munition Plants in St. Petersburg, you best get started on that Trans-Siberian Railway sooner rather than later, because it will take a good long while to build.

Geography, of course, also plays a significant role in other ways when it comes to Infrastructure, and this is represented in Victoria 3 through State Traits. State Traits are bonuses and/or maluses given to a particular State representing particular geographical features, climate and so on. State Traits have a variety of effects, but the most common ones are to either affect the production of a particular resource (for example, if a State contains high quality coal this may be represented through a State Trait that makes coal mines in the state more efficient) or, more significantly for the topic on hand, to provide or modify Infrastructure.

The high-yield Russian Forests are of great benefit to the Logging Industry in Minsk, as long as there’s enough infrastructure available to ship the wood off to all the Russian factories and construction sites that demand it.
image1.png

States with significant rivers get a large boost to Infrastructure, making them excellent candidates for early industrialization
image5.png

Before we finish up for today, I also just want to mention that Infrastructure does tie into a number of mechanics besides Market Access, such as military logistics and migration, and that Infrastructure is only meant to simulate the cost of transporting goods on land - where the sea is concerned, there are other systems at play… but all of those are topics for another day, so for now I bid farewell and encourage you all to tune back in next week as Mikael returns with another economy-related dev diary about Employment and Qualifications.

• 232Like
  • 94Love
Reactions:
It's not that I exactly don't want minor canals in the game, it's just that if we're to have them I don't want them to fill the exact same role as railroads. They should either be a precursor in an earlier start date, or to for instance be a cheaper alternative that is only available in certain places. We'll likely not have them for release though.
Cool. 1820s US is a very interesting time period and I’ll be looking forward to that DLC (if it ultimately turns out to be in the cards).

Curveball question: are utopian societies like the Oneida Community in the game? I want my POPs to be able to get their coitus reservatus on.

This infrastructure system is really cool and I think it would synergise well with military infrastructure usage, mobilisation and logistics. Does the lack of any mention about how infrastructure interacts with these things in this dev diary mean that there won’t be any interaction or is there a possibility for that to be discussed in a much later dev diary?
Before we finish up for today, I also just want to mention that Infrastructure does tie into a number of mechanics besides Market Access, such as military logistics and migration, and that Infrastructure is only meant to simulate the cost of transporting goods on land - where the sea is concerned, there are other systems at play… but all of those are topics for another day, so for now I bid farewell and encourage you all to tune back in next week as Mikael returns with another economy-related dev diary about Employment and Qualifications.

One thing I just thought of. Are market capitals permanent once decided or is there a way to (at a very high cost) move them during the game? I'm thinking something like a US that starts developing more in the interior and, say, loses like Ohio or Pennsylvania or something moving its market capital from New York to Chicago. Or Russia moving its market capital from St. Petersburg to Moscow, or whoever unifies Italy moving the market capital to Rome.
Why should it cost anything to move the market capital though? That is only an abstraction because calculating trade from every state to every other state (and in case a bottleneck arises an alternative route which might also have a bottleneck...) would slow the game down to a snailpace...

• 1Like
Reactions:
In effect this means that any railway can only provide infrastructure up to the amount of infrastructure provided by the best adjacent railway that connects it to the market capital.
Can you clarify this please? This reads like all railways will provide the exact same amount of infrastructure without any way of increasing infrastructure provided since its capped by whichever railway had the best infrastructure at game start. Obviously this isn't how it works, so I'm clearly reading this wrong.

This infrastructure system is really cool and I think it would synergise well with military infrastructure usage, mobilisation and logistics. Does the lack of any mention about how infrastructure interacts with these things in this dev diary mean that there won’t be any interaction or is there a possibility for that to be discussed in a much later dev diary?
He already answered that, yes, there is a role for infrastracture in military which will be discussed later.

It has been announced that Victoria 3 will feature cost of transportation of goods, which is fantastic.

Do I understand correctly from todays dev diary that this will primarily be modeled by infrastructure costs and upkeep on a general level, rather then being part of an individual buildings profit calculation?

Are you planning to show the difference between narrow gauge railways and short gauge railways for launch or is something for the future? Maybe how that will affect infrastructure/market access between states?

Are you also planning to introduce minimum life-rating to build in harsh terrain? I doubt railways take as much time to construct in the countryside of England as it does in Siberia

Looks cool!

Edit: Also wanted to ask are you going to take any features from the infrastructure system coming to HoI 4?

• 1Like
Reactions:
What about american Canals like the Erie Canal system and the other canals that would be part of Henry Clay's American System. Or would they be under infrastructure more generally?
The Erie Canal is really the only one that needs to be there and it can be done as a state trait for New York at the start of the game.

Why should it cost anything to move the market capital though? That is only an abstraction because calculating trade from every state to every other state (and in case a bottleneck arises an alternative route which might also have a bottleneck...) would slow the game down to a snailpace...
Moving your market capital doesn't cost anything per se, but it does create some temporary penalties in the market due to the resulting upheaval.

• 10Like
Reactions:
It has been announced that Victoria 3 will feature cost of transportation of goods, which is fantastic.

Do I understand correctly from todays dev diary that this will primarily be modeled by infrastructure costs and upkeep on a general level, rather then being part of an individual buildings profit calculation?
Yes, though Infrastructure isn't all there is to it, there is also the naval aspect which we'll go into later.

• 11Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
I take it that states can't trade with other states no matter how good their connection is to those states, as long as their connection to the market capital is severed? And a similar outcome for a bad connection to the market capital?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Can you clarify this please? This reads like all railways will provide the exact same amount of infrastructure without any way of increasing infrastructure provided since its capped by whichever railway had the best infrastructure at game start. Obviously this isn't how it works, so I'm clearly reading this wrong.

I don't know if you played HOI4 but the logistics in that is a flow/pipe system.

If you have a row of infrastructure 6 areas then all of them get the supplies for infra 6. If somebody bombs the middle state down to infra 1 then everything before that still gets infra 6 - everything after that is limited to infra 1.

So there is no point building loads of railway lines in the middle of nowhere since they wont connect to anything. But if the local connection in infra 40 then it makes sense to upgrade your frontier from infra 10 to infra 40 so you can attract more businesses (but at the same time any infra boost past 40 is wasted).

Basically draw a line from here to the capital - usable local infrastructure is capped at the lowest value for any state on that line.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Do land connections matter with regards to maximum possible market access? For example, if a state is surrounded by states that have 30%, 40%, 50% market access, will the maximum market access in the state be limited to 50%? Or would there be no limit, and the state could have 100% market access despite being surrounded by states with less than 100% access?

Will major american rivers provide infraestructure bonusses ? IE, Amazonas, Parana , Oronoco and mississippi ?

• 2Haha
Reactions:
Will industries using goods produced in the same state have less infrastructure usage?
There is currently no such effect as we don't track exactly where individual units of goods go (see Market dev diary on that topic), though we could potentially apply some sort of a discount based on how much of a building's needed goods can be locally sourced. I'll give it some thought.

• 54Like
  • 10Love
Reactions: