HBS and Paradox Interactive Financial Reporting

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Prussian Havoc

PDXCON 2019 ~ MechWarrior of the Year
58 Badges
May 12, 2017
forum.paradoxplaza.com
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • BATTLETECH
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Empire of Sin - Premium Edition
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
Earlier today I had the chance to parse through the dozen or so mentions of Harebrained Schemes in the 73-page financial reporting document that Paradox Interactive has posted as its 2020 Annual Report (https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/investors/financial-reports)

Hoping to find direct or indirect reference to the two projects that HBS has under wraps, I was disappointed. The “lid” remains securely affixed to all the gaming goodness that Mitch and Team HBS are currently crafting. But there were a couple mentions that I clipped out and have included below.

6F143CC7-238F-4CA0-A98E-3427AE4E98D9.jpegC98C0758-297A-4100-AA3E-DF2B559391C6.jpeg

I am encouraged by the mentions of HBS’s two project teams and the focus on 5-year projections of both HBS revenues and costs. It‘ll be quite awhile yet, but the future is indeed bright… if not necessarily mechtastic! : )

• 3Like
Reactions:
If the next project is of the same quality feel as 'Dragonfall', then I'll be happy. Though I hope to hear more about it sometime "Soon (tm)".

I don't want to wait another 10 years for the next Battletech game!
I don't think anyone wants that, but BT is a niche market and the games don't sell all that well.

Not to mention all the legal issues historically surrounding the franchise...

We've had some okay-to-good BT games lately though, from both PGI and HBS. Given that MechWarrior 5 released on Steam/XBox just a couple of months ago (May 26th, it spent 1.5 years as an Epic/Windows exclusive), I don't see Microsoft (the BT video game rights owner) being that interested in getting a new game out any time soon.

So, and perhaps this is just my pessimism talking, but I don't think we will get the next BattleTech game any time soon :(

Reactions:
I don't want to wait another 10 years for the next Battletech game!

I don't want to wait that long either, however I'm feeling like when it comes to official games, PGI and MW5 and MWO may be it for a while when it comes to additional content.

Unofficially, there are some fan games (like Mechassault Wolves or MechWarrior Living Legends) and some pretty transformative mods out there (Mechcommander mod for MW5), so we may have some options if they are completed and stay available.

As for a real official product sequel, I'm sadly thinking it may be 10+ years. Even then with the current AAA environment, I'd be afraid it would be more MWO then anything else :/.

47FB2053-7AA9-42D1-A31A-02E40EA0DFD6.jpeg

I had thought to start a new thread for this latest report but reconsidered as unless I am mistaken, there was not a single mention of Harebrained Schemes or BATTLETECH in either the recently released report or during the 50-minute Twitch broadcast. And this was despite myself and others having submitted HBS and BATTLETECH questions for comment to Paradox Leadership on Twitter.

This is of course disappointing but we’ll try again in November for the next Quarterly Report.

Anyone hear anything recently about Harebrained Schemes or BATTLETECH outside of the above two sources?

Tweet from CEO Ebba with a link to report:

Here is the link to today’s Twitch presentation from Ebba and Alex:

I went back through the 30+ Twitter-submitted questions and we did have submissions about HBS, BATTLETECH, Shadowrun and even Crimson Skies. A nice range and selection of topics. I’ll make note of these and look to roll over the best of them in three months for the next quarterly report and presentation.

I’ll also try to do a better job of spreading the word here, and to other venues, prior to the next presentation so that we as an HBS community can better participate in the process. Submitting questions prior to the event, as well as participating in the Twitch chat are but two ways we can communicate to Paradox just how interested our community is in #allthingsHarebrained : )

I'm not sure why you're surprised there was not any mention of HBS. They have said in the past they are working on multiple projects, and that said projects are not related to BattleTech or Shadowrun. They don't have anything else to say in regards to what they're producing at this time so why would they talk about what they're doing.

I have followed these financial reports since HBS’s acquisition by Paradox. Between the report, the presentation and Q&A session (especially when there are direct HBS and BATTLETECH questions submitted) this is the first time we have not had a single mention of HBS or BATTLETECH. That surprises me. Harebrained Schemes represents a significant portion of Paradox‘s deep bench of talent and productivity. Perhaps we’ll hear of HBS in the next report, presentation and Q&A session in November.

Anyone hear anything recently about Harebrained Schemes or BATTLETECH outside of the above two sources?
Not a single peep for almost two years now. Well, the odd job posting, but apart from that... Crickets.

I'm itching for some HBS news - even though I know it won't be BattleTech-related.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not a single peep for almost two years now. Well, the odd job posting, but apart from that... Crickets.

I'm itching for some HBS news - even though I know it won't be BattleTech-related.

Considering the last two years in question... not surprising there's a lack of news.

Considering the last two years in question... not surprising there's a lack of news.
No, not at all. And I'm certainly not demanding anything or even expecting anything.
It would just be nice to hear something about what one of my favourite dev studios are up to.
All in good time, I guess - patience being a virtue and all that :)

Reactions:
I have followed these financial reports since HBS’s acquisition by Paradox. Between the report, the presentation and Q&A session (especially when there are direct HBS and BATTLETECH questions submitted) this is the first time we have not had a single mention of HBS or BATTLETECH. That surprises me. Harebrained Schemes represents a significant portion of Paradox‘s deep bench of talent and productivity. Perhaps we’ll hear of HBS in the next report, presentation and Q&A session in November.

Well... HBS' Shadowrun games are going to be on the Switch. That's something.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well... HBS' Shadowrun games are going to be on the Switch. That's something.
Shadowrun is the Harebrained game that keeps on plugging away building a fanbase isn’t it! : )

I'm not surprised about their silence, it does cut down on the mass of e-mails. But it would be nice to have some idea what they are working on! They have done great work on Shadowrun (3 games) and Battletech.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Personally I feel no need (yet) for a new Battletech game. But.. please... someone fix that multiplayer mode...
There are tons of very talented and very dedicated hobby-game-devs and modders out there. If paradox would only call out for them, I guess the community would be very willing to assist in fixing that network code. Pipe dreaming....

• 2Like
Reactions: