Prison Architect Not Launching In Steam - (missing executable) - Mac (Late 2011)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

MatthewJMc

Recruit
15 Badges
Feb 26, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Prison Architect
Currently trying to launch the base game from Steam however after about 2-3 seconds the paradox launcher symbol will pop up and then exit without prompt.
List of troubleshooting actions taken:
- Launch from Steam Library - Failed with no error message
- Launch from recent games in Steam - Failed with no error message
- Right click on game in library > properties > local files > verify integrity of game files - No error message, all verified successfully
- Restart Mac > attempt to launch both from library and recent games - Failed with no error message
- Backup game files and uninstalled > Reinstalled and launch both from library and recent games - - Failed with no error message
- Uninstall > Shut down > Start Up > Install with desktop icon - Failed with no error message
- Launch in safe mode - Error message - An error occurred when updating prison architect (missing executable): /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Prison Architect/Prison Architect.app

Not sure what I'm missing, the game has worked on my MacBook previously, these are the specifications for the device:

Mac OS 10.13.6
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
RAM 16GB
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512mb

Would anyone be able to advise what I need to do to get this game running again?

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 13.30.55.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 13.31.46.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 13.45.21.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 13.49.19.png

Upvote 0
This is a bug when you choose the Safe Mode launch on MacOS only. Can i ask why you are doing that?

In any case to work around it you need to copy of rename PrisonArchitect.app to Prison Architect.app , with the space in the middle as you see it is looking for.

This is a bug when you choose the Safe Mode launch on MacOS only. Can i ask why you are doing that?

In any case to work around it you need to copy of rename PrisonArchitect.app to Prison Architect.app , with the space in the middle as you see it is looking for.
Thanks for the response, I was only trying to launch in Safe Mode as when I try to launch normally the paradox launcher pops up for one second (as shown in the first image) then disappears with no error messages.

I tried Safe Mode as a final attempt to get the game running before posting this query.

Sorry, so your problem is the launcher doesn't start, rather than the game?

If so Please delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/ . Then run the game from the PLAY Button in Steam, to reinstall the launcher.

If that does not get the launcher running, we will need these files from that same folder:

Attach ALL .log files Found here ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/

Sorry, so your problem is the launcher doesn't start, rather than the game?

If so Please delete the ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder. To see it go to the Finder, hit command-shift-G (ie Go To) and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/ . Then run the game from the PLAY Button in Steam, to reinstall the launcher.

If that does not get the launcher running, we will need these files from that same folder:

Attach ALL .log files Found here ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/launcher-v2/
Thanks for your suggestion, here is my update:

- Completed deletion of ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder

However running from Steam now no longer opens the launcher, the play button from steam looks like it's starting (Says "Stop X") but then cancels on its own (Resets to "Play").

The launcher did reinstall, I've attached is the .log file "launcher-dowser.log".

I have found a way to launch the game via the following workaround:

- Go to /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Prison Architect/
-
Copy Prison Architect.app to desktop or preferred game folder
- Run by double clicking the app (Steam must be running)

So I don't know how to launch via steam but I can now open the game in the mean time.

Attachments

• launcher-dowser.log
    880 bytes · Views: 0
Let's try forcing an update of the launcher.

Download the installer package: https://forumcontent.paradoxplaza.com/emailsignatures/2021.6-mac-prod.zip

Unpack the file you just downloaded and place the three files in the Steam folder for the game you're having issues with. If asked if you want to replace already existing files click "yes" - that's a sign you are in the right place!

Then please repeat the launcher reinstall procedure from before.

Good luck with that!

Thanks for your assistance, unfortunately this hasn't got the launcher to start, the logs appear to show the same error message.

Here are the steps taken:
- Download 2021.6-mac-prod.zip
- Unzip 2021.6-mac-prod.zip
- Copy three files (dowser, launcher-installer-macros, ThirdPartyLicenses.txt) and paste them to /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Prison Architect/Launcher
- When asked if I want to replace the files, click "yes".
- Completed deletion of ~/Library/Application Support/Paradox Interactive/ folder
- Press play button in Steam

The logs still show the same error message about the boot strapper not being installed

Does that log still show installer version 2020.3 ? Or is it now 2020.6 ?

Hi guys, Im having a similar problem where the launcher starts but when i select the play button it gives me an error message "launching game failed" please help me
That doesn't seem like a similar problem at all - the OP's core issue was the launcher not starting, not the game. In future always please start your own thread, thanks.

Has this game ever worked for you, or never yet?

Please attach here the game log
~/Library/⁨Application Support/⁨Prison Architect/debug.txt
To find that file, in Finder do cmd-shift-G to bring up the GOTO box. In there paste ~/Library/⁨Application Support/⁨Prison Architect/ .

Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.

That doesn't seem like a similar problem at all - the OP's core issue was the launcher not starting, not the game. In future always please start your own thread, thanks.

Has this game ever worked for you, or never yet?

Please attach here the game log
~/Library/⁨Application Support/⁨Prison Architect/debug.txt
To find that file, in Finder do cmd-shift-G to bring up the GOTO box. In there paste ~/Library/⁨Application Support/⁨Prison Architect/ .

Also in Steam please click on Steam-Help-System Info, and paste everything there into a text file and attach that here.
im really sorry im new to this and struggle with technology, i will do better