• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Apparently the Enatic Clan reformed Hellenic Imperatrix of the Gallic Empire can not wage Imperial Reconquest wars potentially due to the "female=no" line in brittania_cb_types

I had two otherwise similarlyqualified generations of female rulers in a row, then a 24 martial son pops in after some bribes and he has access to Imperial reconquest wars from the get-go with only 1k prestige.

For potential reference into a root cause via sequence-of-events in case the line is not responsible--
-All-male line from Soissons unlocked imperial Reconquest in Britain, beeline to get Hellenic Reformation, one of the tenets being Enatic Clans and the other Civilized
-On noticing I could not create the duchy of Segontiacia, googled a bit and found most recent version on Steam workshop was two patches ahead, got it
-Transfer save with seemingly no issues besides potentially having a lot more income than I did prior which may also be chalked up to more feudal taxes and buildings
-spam Imperial reconquest or invasion cbs off cooldown until Imperator dies
-initial female successor does not seem to meet martial/stewardship/ambition requirements, she gets up to speed but does not unlock Imperial Reconquest or Invasion
-second female successor definitely qualifies in Martial, unulock Ambitious trait fairly fast IIRC, still no Imperial Reconquest or Invasion cbs
-pull some strings with a lot of gold, get Son on throne after enacting enatic-cognatic, 14 diplo 24 martial 10 stewardship 23 year old 1k prestige has CBs day one

Loving the mod minor CB weirdness aside

I would probably be careful about going from one version to the next (unless it's only a different minor version), but the inflexible gender requirements will be fixed.

Reactions:
Two questions on features that perplex me:
First, what is the difference between "Gaelic" culture in Dal Riata and "Irish" culture in the rest of Ireland? Is it supposed to represent the people who would later become Scots Gaelic, replacing the Picts?
Second, there are dynamic title names for Denmark, Smaland, East Geatland, the duchies of West Geatland and Dalr and the county of Ramshult in Latin and every Germanic language. Why? How on earth would a Saxon get all the way over there, let alone a Frank or Roman? I like it, but it leaves me scratching my head.

Two questions on features that perplex me:
First, what is the difference between "Gaelic" culture in Dal Riata and "Irish" culture in the rest of Ireland? Is it supposed to represent the people who would later become Scots Gaelic, replacing the Picts?

Pretty much. You could definitely make a reasonable argument that they could be the same culture, and I think it was in a couple of builds, but we thought it would be better to have them pre-split rather than splitting up later.

Second, there are dynamic title names for Denmark, Smaland, East Geatland, the duchies of West Geatland and Dalr and the county of Ramshult in Latin and every Germanic language. Why? How on earth would a Saxon get all the way over there, let alone a Frank or Roman? I like it, but it leaves me scratching my head.

At one point, we had a cultural localization-focused dev who was planning to add these sorts of localisations for the entire map, but only finished it for a few places before that got abandoned. I imagine that they'd put together some sort of system to "translate" between the various Germanic languages, which would have at least made that pretty easy.

Why can't I sent a chancellor with the shrewd or ambitious traits to fabricate a claim on most of britain?

Attachments

• Screenshot (1328).png
    Screenshot (1328).png
    3,6 MB · Views: 0
Why can't I sent a chancellor with the shrewd or ambitious traits to fabricate a claim on most of britain?

In order to fabricate a claim on a province, you need to fulfill one of the following requirements:
  • Is Christian, and both the province owner and top liege are Christian
  • Same culture group as the province owner or its top liege
  • Chancellor is in the same culture group as the province

• 1Like
Reactions:
Sorry for bringing up a simple beginner's problem ...

I'm playing CK II via Steam on Mac OS 11.3.1 - everything working perfect.

Now as a dedicated Cornwell-fan I wanted to try my first mod. Downloaded the Winter King files and put them in "mod". On starting CK 2 big joy - the mod-tab is no available showing winter king and the sub-mods for music and portraits. Checking only the main mod and press play.
Some seconds wait - and I am returned to the Steam start-screen ready to start CK 2.

No errors or warnings are displayed, I have no clue what happens.

Sorry for bringing up a simple beginner's problem ...

I'm playing CK II via Steam on Mac OS 11.3.1 - everything working perfect.

Now as a dedicated Cornwell-fan I wanted to try my first mod. Downloaded the Winter King files and put them in "mod". On starting CK 2 big joy - the mod-tab is no available showing winter king and the sub-mods for music and portraits. Checking only the main mod and press play.
Some seconds wait - and I am returned to the Steam start-screen ready to start CK 2.

No errors or warnings are displayed, I have no clue what happens.

Could you describe and/or show a screenshot of where your mod folder is, what's inside the mod folder, and what folders are inside the folders in the mod folder?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Could you describe and/or show a screenshot of where your mod folder is, what's inside the mod folder, and what folders are inside the folders in the mod folder?
The mod-folder is directly in the CK2-folder. The Britannia-folder in the CK2-folder was created when I tried running the mod:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-05 um 11.11.16.png

The mod-folder itself contains exactly what I found in the BWTK-folder I downloaded:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-08-05 um 11.12.16.png

The mod-folder is directly in the CK2-folder. The Britannia-folder in the CK2-folder was created when I tried running the mod:
View attachment 745731

The mod-folder itself contains exactly what I found in the BWTK-folder I downloaded:
View attachment 745733
Hmm, nothing seems wrong about that to me. You're saying that it appears in the launcher, and you're sure you've checked it off (and have nothing else other than the submods checked)? Your Crusader Kings II folder is in Documents/Paradox Interactive (or whatever equivalent), right? Is your CK2 version 3.3.3, and what's the checksum once you get into the game with the mod loaded?

The only thing I can think of at this point is to try redownloading and re-installing the mod (maybe something got corrupted with your download?) or to try getting it from another mirror (e.g. Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1248032316 ). If that doesn't work then I'm at a loss, other than wondering if your CK2 installation is working properly with mods (try validating your game files?).

Hmm, nothing seems wrong about that to me. You're saying that it appears in the launcher, and you're sure you've checked it off (and have nothing else other than the submods checked)? Your Crusader Kings II folder is in Documents/Paradox Interactive (or whatever equivalent), right? Is your CK2 version 3.3.3, and what's the checksum once you get into the game with the mod loaded?

The only thing I can think of at this point is to try redownloading and re-installing the mod (maybe something got corrupted with your download?) or to try getting it from another mirror (e.g. Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1248032316 ). If that doesn't work then I'm at a loss, other than wondering if your CK2 installation is working properly with mods (try validating your game files?).
Thanks a lot for your help!

"you're sure you've checked it off (and have nothing else other than the submods checked)?"
I only checked the mod itself, as I turn off the music anyway and don't have the portrait-packs needed for the submod.

"Your Crusader Kings II folder is in Documents/Paradox Interactive (or whatever equivalent), right?"
Yes.

"Is your CK2 version 3.3.3"
Even better - it's 3.3.4 (SOHY)
It's App-ID: 203770 and Build-ID: 6274525, last updated 22 of February.

"and what's the checksum once you get into the game with the mod loaded?"
I don't see a checksum. As soon as I try to start the game the screen goes black and after some time reverts to Steam.

" (e.g. Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1248032316 )."
I didn't find a download there - but the option to subscripe to the mod within Steam. And that did the trick!
So just copying the mod-files into the mod-folder seems not be enough if playing with Steam.
I left alle the answers if others have similar problems. Thank again, this seems to be a wonderful mod (already lost my first war against the Saxons).

Thanks a lot for your help!

"you're sure you've checked it off (and have nothing else other than the submods checked)?"
I only checked the mod itself, as I turn off the music anyway and don't have the portrait-packs needed for the submod.

"Your Crusader Kings II folder is in Documents/Paradox Interactive (or whatever equivalent), right?"
Yes.

"Is your CK2 version 3.3.3"
Even better - it's 3.3.4 (SOHY)
It's App-ID: 203770 and Build-ID: 6274525, last updated 22 of February.

"and what's the checksum once you get into the game with the mod loaded?"
I don't see a checksum. As soon as I try to start the game the screen goes black and after some time reverts to Steam.

Oh okay, that's what you mean. Your download was probably corrupted then.

" (e.g. Steam Workshop: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1248032316 )."
I didn't find a download there - but the option to subscripe to the mod within Steam. And that did the trick!
So just copying the mod-files into the mod-folder seems not be enough if playing with Steam.
I left alle the answers if others have similar problems. Thank again, this seems to be a wonderful mod (already lost my first war against the Saxons).

Glad to see it something worked.

Glad to see it something worked.
After reading a lot more in the forums I am now aware that you not only give help to poor newbies, but you are one of the experts who created this wonderful mod. And after playing a lot more I am deeply impressed by the amount of research and work which has been invested into this project. Thanks a lot, this is phantastic!

It's a whole new world of CK2, and I am looking forward to play different sides, not only in Britain, but also on the continent.

For a start I took Aelle and enjoyed it very much. But found some points which I don't understand or which could be known issues.

- After conquering a new province the colour is not automatically changed to my kingdom - I first have to switch into a different map view.

- Appointment of a new court skald will not be recognized in the button on the upper line. Button will stay there to remind me to fill a minor office.

- I legitimized Derfel. Shouldn't he be then from my dynasty? As he kept his own family, legitimizing just meant he inherited nearly everything (being the eldest son), but I couldn't play him.

- Who is huscarl Wulfhere? He is a vasall, without territory, can be hired as a mercenary and seems to be immortal. I cannot recall someone like him in the books either.

- The extent of the newly appearing de-jure-duchies is not shown. Thus I get the option to create some entity X without having any clue where it will appear and which counties belong to it. I would have suspected/preferred new de-jure-duchies just follow the course of the conquest - so as soon as you as king has got enough territory, you create a new duchy which is now de-jure.

- I have no clue what triggers the events with "vassals think higher/lower of me and my levies are increased/decreased".

- It seems the heritage-calculation does not work properly. The legal screen (reproducable) shows me my heir (for the kingdom as well as personally), for example a nephew or grandson. Which makes sense as my son is yet a child. But then the minor son inherits everything and the heir shown before does not play any role in it.

Perhaps that's all "works as defined" and just a lack of understanding from my side.

After reading a lot more in the forums I am now aware that you not only give help to poor newbies, but you are one of the experts who created this wonderful mod. And after playing a lot more I am deeply impressed by the amount of research and work which has been invested into this project. Thanks a lot, this is phantastic!

It's a whole new world of CK2, and I am looking forward to play different sides, not only in Britain, but also on the continent.

For a start I took Aelle and enjoyed it very much. But found some points which I don't understand or which could be known issues.

- After conquering a new province the colour is not automatically changed to my kingdom - I first have to switch into a different map view.

Vanilla issue, IMO looks like an optimization that doesn't quite work properly.

- Appointment of a new court skald will not be recognized in the button on the upper line. Button will stay there to remind me to fill a minor office.

The Court Skald isn't a major title. Do you have it mixed up with Court Bard?

- I legitimized Derfel. Shouldn't he be then from my dynasty? As he kept his own family, legitimizing just meant he inherited nearly everything (being the eldest son), but I couldn't play him.

Legitimizing bastards doesn't change their dynasty - you can see this in vanilla if you try to legitimize a bastard after they've had a child and founded a new dynasty.

- Who is huscarl Wulfhere? He is a vasall, without territory, can be hired as a mercenary and seems to be immortal. I cannot recall someone like him in the books either.

I'm not completely sure who you're referring to, but the Middle Angles are just a standard vassal mercenary company. It's not based on anything in the books.

- The extent of the newly appearing de-jure-duchies is not shown. Thus I get the option to create some entity X without having any clue where it will appear and which counties belong to it. I would have suspected/preferred new de-jure-duchies just follow the course of the conquest - so as soon as you as king has got enough territory, you create a new duchy which is now de-jure.

If you check the regions, you can often see what Anglo-Saxon duchy a province is part of (there aren't really a lot of good ways to show it ingame). I agree that de jure flips being based on title creation is a little confusing for newer players. but as the established format it's a bit time-consuming to change.

- I have no clue what triggers the events with "vassals think higher/lower of me and my levies are increased/decreased".

It's a monthly (approximately) tick for the the "Tribal Respect" mechanic that measures your current level of prestige and how large your realm is. Higher martial and prestige gives bonuses to levy size, morale, organization, and vassal opinion, while being too large and centralized for how well respected your ruler is will give corresponding penalties.

- It seems the heritage-calculation does not work properly. The legal screen (reproducable) shows me my heir (for the kingdom as well as personally), for example a nephew or grandson. Which makes sense as my son is yet a child. But then the minor son inherits everything and the heir shown before does not play any role in it.

Perhaps that's all "works as defined" and just a lack of understanding from my side.

What's your succession type? Assuming you're still on Elective Gavelkind I think your sons will still inherit at least some of your land, especially if your heir is already landed, but the main heir not inheriting anything is definitely a bug. Unless the electors switched to your son at the last moment before you died, which I suppose is possible (if unlikely).

I was just doing a playthrough with the south saxons and I encountered the same thing with the Court Skald. The message will appear up top and say hey you have to appoint a Court Skald when I did have that position filled (court bard is something separate, you can have a bard and a skald at the same time as they are different offices) and it wouldn't go away until I filled one of the major offices that was vacant, I think which precise unfilled major office would clear it up changed around a bit.

One thing I was wondering, how do you get the Centralized law which is one of the requirements for a Germanic government? I've been able to go Feudal for a while but I've been sitting on it because the Germanic one looked a bit more flavorful and had harder criteria to meet. I thought it would maybe proc when I stamped down my council as much as possible but it didn't, and I somewhat hesitate to crank centralization all the way up as my Wessex is kind of huge and I need a lot of vassals to run it or I'm going to have problems and raising centralization means I'm starved for vassal limit. Aside from that, the closest I can think is some unchangable law at the bottom of the law screen that says I'm decentralized and have a +2 vassal limit, entirely separate from the business at the top.

Can you even get the centralization law? Are you instead supposed to go feudal as an Anglo-Saxon?

I was just doing a playthrough with the south saxons and I encountered the same thing with the Court Skald. The message will appear up top and say hey you have to appoint a Court Skald when I did have that position filled (court bard is something separate, you can have a bard and a skald at the same time as they are different offices) and it wouldn't go away until I filled one of the major offices that was vacant, I think which precise unfilled major office would clear it up changed around a bit.

Hmm, I think it might be a localisation issue then, since at one point we tried to make Court Skald into an Anglo-Saxon cultural localisation for Court Bard (which didn't work - but clearly worked just enough to confuse people).

One thing I was wondering, how do you get the Centralized law which is one of the requirements for a Germanic government? I've been able to go Feudal for a while but I've been sitting on it because the Germanic one looked a bit more flavorful and had harder criteria to meet. I thought it would maybe proc when I stamped down my council as much as possible but it didn't, and I somewhat hesitate to crank centralization all the way up as my Wessex is kind of huge and I need a lot of vassals to run it or I'm going to have problems and raising centralization means I'm starved for vassal limit. Aside from that, the closest I can think is some unchangable law at the bottom of the law screen that says I'm decentralized and have a +2 vassal limit, entirely separate from the business at the top.

Can you even get the centralization law? Are you instead supposed to go feudal as an Anglo-Saxon?

You're intended to go feudal as an Anglo-Saxon. Germanic government is mostly meant for the Franks, and as you've correctly surmised for un-Romanized cultures like the Anglo-Saxons it's supposed to be quite a challenge to get to and is mostly there for the sake of completeness.

• 1Like
Reactions:
"you can have a bard and a skald at the same time"
Which IMHO should be removed. Britons have bards and Angle-Saxons have skalds. Which means also the "praised by the bards" should be renamed for Angle-Saxons.
This is of course an extremely unimportant point.

"it wouldn't go away until I filled one of the major offices that was vacant"
Exactly. Also a very unimportant issue - you just have to look from time to time if a real vacancy was opened.

"Assuming you're still on Elective Gavelkind I think your sons will still inherit at least some of your land, especially if your heir is already landed, but the main heir not inheriting anything is definitely a bug."
Seems so.
The situation is as follows: My eldest son died before me. His son is grown up and he is ealdorman - thus the natural choise for any anglo-saxon Witan.
In the laws-tab he is shown as heir for Aenglaland (Angle tribal high kingdom with agnatic gavelkind), was proposed by me and receiving all 13 votes.
He is also heir for Anglia (also ATHK with AG), followed by his five sons.

I have two more sons who are under-age (from my second marriage), have both counties of their own and are not shown anywhere as potential heirs.

Unless the electors switched to your son at the last moment before you died, which I suppose is possible (if unlikely).
No. I checked the status as described above, left the game frozen and killed myself.

Heritage is then resolved to the elder one of the two boys getting everything: All my demesne-counties and the titles Aenglaland and Anglia.

Seems so.
The situation is as follows: My eldest son died before me. His son is grown up and he is ealdorman - thus the natural choise for any anglo-saxon Witan.
In the laws-tab he is shown as heir for Aenglaland (Angle tribal high kingdom with agnatic gavelkind), was proposed by me and receiving all 13 votes.
He is also heir for Anglia (also ATHK with AG), followed by his five sons.

I have two more sons who are under-age (from my second marriage), have both counties of their own and are not shown anywhere as potential heirs.

No. I checked the status as described above, left the game frozen and killed myself.

Heritage is then resolved to the elder one of the two boys getting everything: All my demesne-counties and the titles Aenglaland and Anglia.

Do you have a save? That would probably be easier to look at.

Sure. Didn't want to kill myself without saving first ;-)

Hmm, it looks like that what happens is that when you die, Aengland gets destroyed (since you haven't established the Anglian Supremacy yet), and that erases all the heir voting since it's your primary title. Without any votes, you default back to standard gavelkind, and so your son inherits over your grandson.

Obviously that's a bit of a bug, - if you want to make sure the succession happens properly you can trigger event 320201 in the console (the Death of the Bretwalda event), wait for the monthly tick for the succession to fix itself (so you might want to wait until the end of the month for this), choose your proper successor, and then kill yourself.