Hate when I have to buy squares just to fix traffic outside my city!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

albeva

Private
12 Badges
May 28, 2011
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Cities: Skylines
I like playing with small number of squares - compact cities, 1 square city etc. So annoying when vanilla maps junctions are so bad that that clog up traffic in my city. For example there is a clover leaf right outside my city that is absolutely grid locked ...

Some other potential solutions:

The mods Move It and Traffic Manager President Edition (TMPE) work anywhere on the map regardless of whether they are in your purchased tiles. Move It can be used to move road nodes about and adjust road segment bending to let cars move faster around turns. TMPE can be used to force cars to merge more sanely at on-ramps. (note these can be used in combination with Cross The Line or even within your own city to improve traffic flow and give nicer looking slopes to roads).

There are tons of custom maps on the workshop that might have better traffic flow. Just make sure to look at the rating and the comments.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yep already was doing that, but even so traffic overwhelmed. Of course cause was that I did turn despawning off.

Anyway the cross the line mod worked wonders.

It sounds like you are building too fast and it is causing your traffic to flood out. Each building creates traffic, and as your city matures and levels up, it also creates even more traffic. I find the trick is play at x3 speed so your city matures more quickly, and plopping schools very early, as residential levels up from education.

But between expanding your city and calling in new cims, plus buildings leveling up and old buildings calling in more cims, that it creates a ton of traffic very quickly. once your city matures, no new traffic comes in and traffic almost disappears magically.

So, don't unlock a new tile until your current tile has 75% buildings at max levels, so it won't be contributing to the traffic to the new tile as much.

Here's one of my cities I just created recently for a user so he could see what it looks like.

Also, having all of the roads the same type, traffic doesn't jam up and funnel into feeder roads, and it lets them move around very randomly and quickly.

@MarkJohnson I wanted to build in exactly one square, but once your city hits over 50k - the amount of traffic generated is quite high. Especially when you have no railways, shipping or airports. The vanilla clover leaf interchange outside my city just generated a grid lock for me. I used the mod that was suggested above to fix the interchange - and now traffic flows just fine.

I posted my city on steam if anyone interested: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/my-one-square-city.1484314/

@MarkJohnson I wanted to build in exactly one square, but once your city hits over 50k - the amount of traffic generated is quite high. Especially when you have no railways, shipping or airports. The vanilla clover leaf interchange outside my city just generated a grid lock for me. I used the mod that was suggested above to fix the interchange - and now traffic flows just fine.

I posted my city on steam if anyone interested: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/my-one-square-city.1484314/

Your city looks very nice. I loaded it up without any workshop (except NExt2 as it is required) and it flows very well still with no jams.

Your traffic issue isn't coming from population, it is coming from freight and mostly tourism.

Tourists and freight are coming into your city from the outside connections and overloading your interchanges.

Having your residential in the outer ring is keeping it from leveling up to giving you higher population. Your population could be higher if it was more central. Your parks should do better on the outer ring, as they don't rely on services to level up like your RCI zones need. But either way, your city looks great. Just things to look for in future cities you build.

Your city looks great, What map is that? I like that it has a very large starting tile.

Interesting that you were able to load the map without all the required mods - I assumed it would fall apart right away lol. I removed some of the required items from the save.

As for city size - I'd like to get population to 65k "Metropolis" level, I think doable by just fiddling with services, land value and perhaps transport. I quite like the layout and think somewhat "realistic" to have residential zones on the periphery and commercial / entertainment in the middle along with central parks.

And yeah - most traffic is related to tourism and industry - but hey its a busy city and I like lots of traffic.

I think it is "Two Rivers" map - vanilla map that comes with the base game. I flattened the surface and land filled some of the river area - leaving only water inlet/outlets.

Interesting that you were able to load the map without all the required mods - I assumed it would fall apart right away lol. I removed some of the required items from the save.

As for city size - I'd like to get population to 65k "Metropolis" level, I think doable by just fiddling with services, land value and perhaps transport. I quite like the layout and think somewhat "realistic" to have residential zones on the periphery and commercial / entertainment in the middle along with central parks.

And yeah - most traffic is related to tourism and industry - but hey its a busy city and I like lots of traffic.

I think it is "Two Rivers" map - vanilla map that comes with the base game. I flattened the surface and land filled some of the river area - leaving only water inlet/outlets.

A little trick U learned at launch, is I build trafficless as possible, then when I think I'm done, then I add the traffic buildings like tourism. This helps keep you from constantly fiddling with your city. Especially on larger cities.

But there are very few required mods for this game. I do think there might be one or more mods it needs, as the underground intersection wasn't working at all and has missing road/lines everywhere underground.

When I mean required, I mean that city won't load at all without it, or completely cripple the city. NExt2 will cripple the city if missing as you will lose vital roads.

A little trick U learned at launch, is I build trafficless as possible, then when I think I'm done, then I add the traffic buildings like tourism. This helps keep you from constantly fiddling with your city. Especially on larger cities.

But there are very few required mods for this game. I do think there might be one or more mods it needs, as the underground intersection wasn't working at all and has missing road/lines everywhere underground.

When I mean required, I mean that city won't load at all without it, or completely cripple the city. NExt2 will cripple the city if missing as you will lose vital roads.
Good to know. Next "city" I want to build would be opposite - unlock all squares and make whole load of small villages far apart xD