Iron cross features/concepts also an idea for DH an or mod ?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

panzergenerals

Major
1 Badges
Jul 19, 2006
  • Darkest Hour
If there is something that i want is for supply lines ala AoD. I know it can be implemented.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This is from hoi4 which i have never palyed but focus trees look cool and they would be cool in dh. Also not a full fledged battle planner but a way to distribute troops along a frontline and qol improvements to make micro easier.

Last edited:
I never played HOI4. Do u have screenshots of that focus tree?

Are on this forum still devs around from DH?

Any moderators who could made this concepts possible in MODS? For example the TRP team @Lord Rommel ?
Allright here is the USA focus tree.

NF_tree_USA.jpg

Each Focus costs political power which we dont have in this game. I say maybe just make focuses take time.

I never played HOI4. Do u have screenshots of that focus tree?

Are on this forum still devs around from DH?

Any moderators who could made this concepts possible in MODS? For example the TRP team @Lord Rommel ?
To be honest i dont like the HoI 4 Focus tree idea. So i never thought about such a Detail. But when i think about a work around with the DH tool i'm quiet sure that there is no way to Trick around with DH to get something close to the Focus trees.

To be honest i dont like the HoI 4 Focus tree idea. So i never thought about such a Detail. But when i think about a work around with the DH tool i'm quiet sure that there is no way to Trick around with DH to get something close to the Focus trees.
If there is a way to get country exclusive tech trees then there might be a way.

Also what we need is making factories take 1/2 the time and 3/4ths the ic to build. So small nations can industrialize. While were at it most minors actually intended to be playable should have there ic multiplied by like 1.5. Either this or make everything take less ic and time.

Also what we need is making factories take 1/2 the time and 3/4ths the ic to build. So small nations can industrialize. While were at it most minors actually intended to be playable should have there ic multiplied by like 1.5. Either this or make everything take less ic and time.
There won't be enough resources in the world to support all those new factories. I play almost exclusively as minors and regional powers and still find them fun and playable. I enjoy the challenge and planning. There are also the industry and research decision that help boost their economies.

• 1Like
Reactions:
IC is supposed to loosely represent GDP, and except for the major combatant nations like Germany, USA, USSR, Japan, UK, etc, the was not much GDP growth in non-combatant nations at all.

If there is a way to get country exclusive tech trees then there might be a way.
I'm pretty sure there is a way. You can already make infinite tech slots in the game. Other mods utilize this. Furthermore, creating tech trees wouldn't even need to be unique to each nation. Just a few. I presume it's possible to create new divisions also, to tie them into the tech trees.

IC is supposed to loosely represent GDP, and except for the major combatant nations like Germany, USA, USSR, Japan, UK, etc, the was not much GDP growth in non-combatant nations at all.

I'm pretty sure there is a way. You can already make infinite tech slots in the game. Other mods utilize this. Furthermore, creating tech trees wouldn't even need to be unique to each nation. Just a few. I presume it's possible to create new divisions also, to tie them into the tech trees.
Then it would be possible. Just add 1 new tech slot for each country, add a new team for each country with 1 new trait. And make it so you need this trait to research "focus tree" techs. Or else you would have 0x speed.

Personally, I think it would be interesting if building up industry was more of a curve. So its easy for a minor to industrialize because they are going from zero-little industry to building their own new park, but a country with a large industrial sector is already full of rules, red tape, market competition, logistic issues, etc.

This way, it would avoid the whole "Singularity Building" where a nation with huge IC pools can build loads of IC with their giant IC pool, allowing them to exponentially build more IC.

Personally, I think it would be interesting if building up industry was more of a curve. So its easy for a minor to industrialize because they are going from zero-little industry to building their own new park, but a country with a large industrial sector is already full of rules, red tape, market competition, logistic issues, etc.

This way, it would avoid the whole "Singularity Building" where a nation with huge IC pools can build loads of IC with their giant IC pool, allowing them to exponentially build more IC.
Yeah that would make sense

Interesting.
  • Perhaps an event can be created in this regard?
Examining the event commands .txt file in the Darkest Hour\Modding Documentation folder, noticed that there is the following event command:

Code:
type = building_prod_mod which = [building type] value = X%
#Bonus to production time. Additive. NOTE: Positive value = reduced time.

In The Grand Campaign (TGC) mod, there are the Great Depression events created by Burning and originally from the Arms, Armistice and Revolutions (AAR) mod (according to the file's documentation) that enable penalties on the creation of IC during the interwar period. (One of the reasons for the penalty is to prevent the human from mass producing IC between both wars, which can seriously ruin the global resource market.)

An example of the IC production command is as follows (as taken from the "Economic Recovery Event"; ID 13300012 in TGC, as mentioned above):

Code:
type = building_prod_mod which = IC value = -50

The above event command will enable a 50% production bonus to industrial capacity. In other words, IC will be produced 50% faster. And vise versa, as the comment in the event commands file indicates.

Now then, the issue seems to be finding consensus on an event trigger.
  • The "generic_decisions.txt" events in TGC, for example, make use of IC triggers in a number of their events.
  • In these cases, the triggers are such that a decision will cost more money depending on the amount of base IC a country has.
  • It makes sense to use ranges similar to the base IC criteria that permits additional tech teams, using multiples of 20.
    • So, each additional 20 base IC a country has, means they will receive an additional penalty to the production of industrial capacity.
The trade-off: more tech teams; slowler IC production. This reasoning coincides with the comment by @Slaughter that the more "developed" (using the term loosely) a country becomes, the more bureaucracy, "red tape", and so forth, which altogether create obstacles to further development (again, using the term loosely).

Then of course there is the reasoning here. If IC is accepted as GDP in an historical sense, then one may not welcome the idea of creating an event that provides for IC production penalties and bonuses. 'Suppose it all depends on how far -- in an ahistorical sense -- one is willing to accept a scenario's alternative history event path. Some are okay with alternative historical paths in scenarios, while others prefer a scenario's campaign to be more historically linear than historically alternative.

There won't be enough resources in the world to support all those new factories. I play almost exclusively as minors and regional powers and still find them fun and playable. I enjoy the challenge and planning. There are also the industry and research decision that help boost their economies.
Another point raised against the case for enabling a form of IC production bonus aspect to a scenario.

One way of approaching the imbalance of resources, is to create an event that trades money for resources, such as the common generic_decision that enables one to, "search for metal, rares, and oil." An event such as this can be modified so that there are individual events that focus on either energy, metal, or rares, thus giving a greater return on the investment. As opposed to just blindly searching for any resource, the search is targeted towards a specific gap in the country's market.

Furthermore, there is the possibility of using buildings and/or decisions so that they can have a positive impact on resource production. For instance, in some mods the nuclear reactor energy production idea has been discussed and implemented! Here, the more advanced one's nuclear technology becomes, the more energy produced from nuclear reactors. This concept can be taken further. If not buildings, then decisions can be used:
  • Decisions to build hydroelectric dams in countries with major rivers or where such facilities were created historically;
  • Decisions to build oil refineries in countries with oil (if recalling correctly, Venezuela in various mods often has events such as these);
  • Decisions to improve the efficiency of coal power plants -- or to build coal power plants?
    • The decision can be triggered once a certain amount of money has been accumulated;
    • Similar to the current generic decisions, but more targeted for specific resources (such as energy for minors);
  • Etc.
Another potential response to the concern regarding resource imbalance in the global market, is to (as mentioned in this post above) design the IC production event so that the more IC a country has, the greater the penalty on IC production. Here, it is less likely that major countries will be producing as much IC as they did in previous scenarios. Of course, since there are more minor countries, it's possible that these will be producing lots of IC over a longer period of time, and possibly decades in a mod such as TGC. However, these problems can be amended if the event is only available to the human and not the AI.

Finally: ministers!
  • Some mods have implemented unique minister traits for IC production;
    • Noticed there is a minister type in (if recalling correctly, in TGC) that gives a bonus to producing IC;
  • If the event option is not preferred, then it seems possible one can make a "Development Team" ministry available only for minors;
  • The development team "minister" can give significant development cost and time bonuses that are only available to minors.
In summary:
It does seem possible to add an "IC Production Penalty/Bonus" option to Darkest Hour by using the current events, decision, and minister mechanisms, as indicated by an examination of events currently in use (The Great Depression Events from TGC) and the "Event Commands" txt file in the Darkest Hour Modding documentation.

• 3Like
Reactions: